Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargeback query

Options
  • 05-02-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I purchased house insurance online in early January.  Went through a broker.  On the day I paid I received the policy details by email.  There were some discrepancies with details which the broker had made and I immediately contacted them to have them amended which he assured me he would do and send me the revised policy.

A week later there was still no sign of the new document and I contacted the broker again.  He apologised and said he would get on to the underwriters and have it done.

Another two weeks passed with no revised policy and I contacted the broker again (3rd time) to express my annoyance at the long delay.  I heard nothing.

Last week I contacted the insurance company directly who told me that I would have to deal with the broker to have the changes amended.  They told me they would contact the broker to remind them which they did as I had an email from the broker apologising and promising to have it done.

To date - still nothing and I'm thoroughly fed up with this carry on.  I paid by credit card.  Is it possible to do a chargeback as I'm sure the insurance is not valid without these changes being made?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

I purchased house insurance online in early January.  Went through a broker.  On the day I paid I received the policy details by email.  There were some discrepancies with details which the broker had made and I immediately contacted them to have them amended which he assured me he would do and send me the revised policy.

A week later there was still no sign of the new document and I contacted the broker again.  He apologised and said he would get on to the underwriters and have it done.

Another two weeks passed with no revised policy and I contacted the broker again (3rd time) to express my annoyance at the long delay.  I heard nothing.

Last week I contacted the insurance company directly who told me that I would have to deal with the broker to have the changes amended.  They told me they would contact the broker to remind them which they did as I had an email from the broker apologising and promising to have it done.

To date - still nothing and I'm thoroughly fed up with this carry on.  I paid by credit card.  Is it possible to do a chargeback as I'm sure the insurance is not valid without these changes being made?

Hi Peig Sayers,

Thanks for getting in touch.

In this case you would need to cancel this through the broker first ensuring to keep a copy of the written request. After this, if you are unable to resolve it with the broker you can then send in a chargeback request. The request should include the following:

Cover letter:
    You can let us know of any contact you made with the retailer and their response. Include anything discussed over the phone but always ask for written confirmation if possible i.e. letter or Email.

Documents
    • Proof that you have tried to resolve the matter with the retailer. You can include emails or letters you have sent even if unanswered. You can explain this further in your cover letter.
    • Copies of receipts/invoices/e-mail confirmation/tickets? (letter/emails etc.)
    • Documentation from an expert stating in their opinion the merchandise/Service is defective/not as described.
    • Proof that the goods were returned to the retailer (registered postage receipt) or proof that the services were cancelled/rejected by you in writing.

The transaction dispute form can be found here.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement