Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a spare 10/22 takedown barrel?

Options
  • 05-02-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I've an idea to have two forends for my 10/22 takedown, one with a reddot mounted and the other with a magnified optic. That way I can switch between the two without losing zero.

Does anyone know where I could get a spare barrel in Ireland? Or is the barrel the serialized part so can't be easily replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How is having another barrel going to achieve that? Are you mounting them directly to the barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Witcher wrote: »
    How is having another barrel going to achieve that? Are you mounting them directly to the barrel?

Yes that's what I said

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Fitting a scope to a barrel is not done.
    The barrel harmonics will not work, and it will be inaccurate, and a takedown is inaccurate enough as it is:p

A good scope that goes down to 1.5 or 2, will be just as good as both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

There is no harmonics worth talking about on takedown 10/22.

Fitting a scope to a barrel is very easily achievable with two 60deg dovetail cuts in the barrel into which the scope mounts will grip. The problem is that you can't use standard optics. You will need to go with a pistol scope.
    It has pros and cons but it's doable

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

why not buy quick release mounts on a red dot and a set of quick release mounts on a scope, zero both and change the optic in a matter of seconds when needed, way easier than having to buy barrel that will be off zero anyway when you change them over.

Your not going to solve loss of zero by mounting optics to different barrels, you mount optics to the rail provided

• Advertisement

There are many mounts available for putting optics on 10/22 barrels. Putting reddots on 10/22 barrels is very easily done with many commercial options. Volquartsen do a take down barrel with optic rail mounted, I'm sure they know what they are doing. With the set up I'm going for the magnified optic will reach back far enough to be usable. QR mounting options will shift zero unless they are £££.

Regardless, none of that is what I asked.

I'm asking if barrels are the part that is controlled/regulated as the "firearm", as it is in some countries. Or is it the receiver like in the states?

I am also asking if anyone knows where I could obtain spare 10/22 takedown barrels.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

slipperyox wrote: »
    Fitting a scope to a barrel is not done.
    The barrel harmonics will not work, and it will be inaccurate, and a takedown is inaccurate enough as it is:p

A good scope that goes down to 1.5 or 2, will be just as good as both.

Every blaser rifle on the market has the scope mounted to the barrel. For this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Wadi14 wrote: »
    why not buy quick release mounts on a red dot and a set of quick release mounts on a scope, zero both and change the optic in a matter of seconds when needed, way easier than having to buy barrel that will be off zero anyway when you change them over.

Your not going to solve loss of zero by mounting optics to different barrels, you mount optics to the rail provided

If he mounts the optic to the barrel the Poi will remain the same.
    If he mounts it to the rail and removes the barrel then he has two things at play that will change the poi, the only mounts i have come across that will actually hold zero are far too expensive to put on a 1022 they would be double the cost of the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

I thought that for the last few years in Ireland now you had to have the serial number of your firearm and some other details stamped into your replacement/spare barrel. This definitely appears to be the case for all long distance shooters replacing their barrels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Paddy fagan sells all manner of 10/22 bits. Might have something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Guys I get the idea of poi shift and all that, but having to buy another barrel to mount a red dot and scope I don't get, VQ do have a mount that screws to their barrels because their barrel is drilled and tapped to accept it.

Is one barrel with scope mounted to the receiver and the red dot mounted to picatinny top of the front scope ring not an option ? both zeroed to the same zero if you want. One rifle one barrel 2 optics.
    https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Picatinny-Ring-Top/dp/B01N42JG6V a lot cheaper than a €500 barrel.

as for barrels for 10/22 they are not a serial numbered item. I have bought barrels in the uk , most of the dealers there like to sent them to rfd's in the north as no paperwork involved. Aftermarket take down barrels are not as plentiful, and may have to be ordered.
    https://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=10%2F22+Takedown&ICShowAllFacets=1
    if you contact Brownells Ireland they prob could bring one in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[QUOTE=Brontosaurus;109346225

I'm asking if barrels are the part that is controlled/regulated as the "firearm", as it is in some countries. Or is it the receiver like in the states?

[/QUOTE]
    Neither here.
    The firearm is every last bit of the gun, inc the stock wood screws under Irish firearms law. So, if you have the license for a particular gun, you can have as many spare barrels or bits for it as you want. I would even say in theory that could include an unnumbered receiver.

Most of the EU consider the pressure bearing parts IE bolt, chamber, slide, barrel as the critical parts that you can only purchase with a license.

The USA, they consider the reciver as the key building block and as such the gun itself.All the rest is just bits without the receiver.

So to answer your question,if you are licensed for the rifle, you can buy barrels aplenty for it.

thought that for the last few years in Ireland now you had to have the serial number of your firearm and some other details stamped into your replacement/spare barrel. This definitely appears to be the case for all long distance shooters replacing their barrels ?

Nothing in the act that says that it has to be done. It can be no doubt be "requested" off you by the Super as a license condition, which is proably what is happening there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Guys it's not that hard of a concept.

One barrel with a magnified optic, one barrel with a reddot. You swap between them easily, and don't lose zero. You could shoot gallery with one and bench shooting with the other, and not have to mess around with QR mounts which can be hit and miss. Having a reddot mounted on top of your scope or having it a canted sight brings in issues of bore-offset and zeroing can be a pain.

It's not exactly a novel idea either. It would be like swapping upper receivers on an AR-15.

Thanks for the info regarding obtaining barrels. I'll contact Brownwells.ie, failing that I'll talk to my local shop

Advertisement