Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South East Asia - 4 weeks

Options
  • 05-02-2019 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of going to either Indonesia or Thailand at the last week in July to August. However I'm torn between where. I'd ke to experince culture, have a blast eat good food and meet loads of locals and travellers.

I might be travelling solo, probably stay in an hostel or so.

Any recommendations/sugestions as to where to go and how to plan itenary?

Comments

Change your title to South East Asia if you want replies. South Asia is India etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Change your title to South East Asia if you want replies. South Asia is India etc.

Cheers

Thailand is always a good bet. Sumatra was the best "holiday" I've been on. Vietnam is for many still the best in the region though if you have a month.

Not an easy choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pjd435

ebayissues wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of going to either Indonesia or Thailand at the last week in July to August. However I'm torn between where. I'd ke to experince culture, have a blast eat good food and meet loads of locals and travellers.

I might be travelling solo, probably stay in an hostel or so.

Any recommendations/sugestions as to where to go and how to plan itenary?

I went to Indonesia in 2017, had an amazing time, you will get everything you want from a holiday, culture, great food, friendly people.

I got a return flight from Dublin to Kuala Lumpur, then flew in at out of indonesia with air Asia. Started off in yogykarta in Java, travelled across Java, going to surabya, mt broom, mt ijen, the got the boat to bali. Bali to the gilli islands and then on to lombok.

I've been all over Thailand, but prefare Indonesia. Don't get me wrong, will also have a great time in Thailand or any other SE Asia country

I've decided to go to Indonesia in Sep for 4 weeks.

I'm contemplating landing in Jakarta then flying out somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Yeah. I did something similar. Flew into Jakarta, got a train along the north coast of Java and went to an island called Karimunjawa. Then a week in Gili Islands and a week in Bali. I would have preferred to have done Mt Bromo and a few other peaks but no where was allowing solo travellers to join groups, I had to out my own group together. If I go again I'll skip Bali and head to Flores. I absolutely loved Indonesia, Def my favourite country in South East Asia (although I'm in Myanmar now and it's also lovely).

Guys, how would you book the flights? I'm using skyscanner and anytime I click on the flight, I get directed to agents websites thats charging a markup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Use skyscanner or google flights to price the flights and then go to the airlines actual websites. The only price comparison site I ever booked through was expedia.

Some of them sites SkyScanner sends you to are fine but you should google a review of them as I have heard horror stories too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pjd435

Just back from 3 weeks in Sumatra, another brilliant experience. Visted padang, bukittinggi, lake toba, bukwit lawang, medan, banda aceh, & palau weh. Much diffirent experience to java but highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

just back from 10 days there. if you have the time take the train instead of flying internally you will see much more. seat61 has all the info you need.

jakarta is a mess, traffic and building. Grab taxis are sooo cheap tho. 20 minute taxi costs about 2 euro.
    Had an earthquake and national grid went down while i was there. Expect the unexpected. Not many western tourists there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just back from 10 days there. if you have the time take the train instead of flying internally you will see much more. seat61 has all the info you need.

jakarta is a mess, traffic and building. Grab taxis are sooo cheap tho. 20 minute taxi costs about 2 euro.
    Had an earthquake and national grid went down while i was there. Expect the unexpected. Not many western tourists there either.

sounds like jakarta is still the same, was there many years ago, would also recommend trains, also got caught in an earthquake there, scary things

Advertisement