Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro/Mini Digger for Stump removal

Options
  • 05-02-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im looking to remove a lot of small stumps from our the back garden (we got a tree surgeon in last year when we moved in and there was a lot there, nothing huge but a lot). It was a pain in the arse digging up the ground to lay a new lawn but I left the edges where the stumps and roots are. So I'm thinking a digger is the way to go to save time and a lot of effort. I've never used one of these before so I'm looking for any advice! Are these easy to use and it is just a straight forward case of digging around the Stump and using the bucket when it's deep enough?!
    If anyone has any places in Cork which they'd recommend to rent one of these it would be great too
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would use a stump grinder and leave the roots to rot naturally.

Better for soil quality as the decaying roots leave drainage channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Definitely stump grinder.

Mini digger would be torture to lift stumps, then you have the huge stumps to deal with and it will make a horrific mess.

Hire a stump grinder, or better get a professional in with one to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks Lumen, never heard of them before so that's a good tip. I'm getting a price of 150 (inc VAT) to rent one for the day in the Cork area. Is this a good price or does anyone on here know of a place which rents them cheaper??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bungaro79 wrote: »
    Thanks Lumen, never heard of them before so that's a good tip. I'm getting a price of 150 (inc VAT) to rent one for the day in the Cork area. Is this a good price or does anyone on here know of a place which rents them cheaper??
    Thanks

I'm nowhere near Cork but that seems neither cheap nor rip-off expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Just an update on this. So I got a recommendation of a local guy who has a stump grinder and he came today and sorted out the stumps in no time! Thanks again the info on here, I never even heard of a stump grinder before posting on here!
    If anyone wants the details of the guy I used just PM me

• Advertisement
Advertisement