Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Composite Older Device

Options
  • 06-02-2019 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

Printer giving me trouble for past few days. Have tried updating Driver and un-installing and re-installing a few times but with no success. It shows in Device Manager as Ready and Up-to-date Driver downloaded.... Sometimes with my re-installing efforts, it goes greyed-out saying Driver Un-available even though I would have downloaded and installed it. If I go to try print something from an Office programme etc., it just says No installed Printers found. I've deleted anything that is in Print Queue a couple of times.

When I try to add a Printer, it doesn't find it and if I try to add it manually, I don't know which option to pick.

When I download the Printer Software, what do I do then or how do I install it?! How do I apply / add it to the "missing" Printer that can't be found!

Trouble-shooter for it gives message saying; "USB Composite Device is an older Device and might not work with USB 3.0."

Am lost! Need my Printer! Please help! Surely there's a way to get it to work with any USB! Have tried all the predictable suggestions turning off and on Spool and Updating Software and Drivers for Devices. These are all the scripted bog-standard solutions. In Device Manager, when i update Driver for all the Devices and USB's in there, they are all up-to-date. So Updating Drivers don't appear to be needed. Need other suggestions / solutions that might work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What printer do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

It's a Canon MP250.

It's a Canon MP250.

You could try a system restore back to a point before the issue. Maybe a Windows update caused a conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The error says "You've plugged this older device into an USB 3.0 slot".
    Can you remove the printer cable from your computer and try a different USB slot?

Most PCs have both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 slots. They are colour coded, with black or white being the norm for 2.0, while blue is used for 3.x ports. Click here for more information.

I have 3 USB Slots on my Laptop, tried each of the 3. :(

• Advertisement

Oohh there is 2 other Slots actually! 1 kinda looks like a USB Slot but I'm afraid to shove it in. The other looks a Telephone-wire type connection slot.

Oohh there is 2 other Slots actually! 1 kinda looks like a USB Slot but I'm afraid to shove it in. The other looks a Telephone-wire type connection slot.

It's unlikely a USB 3.0 slot would cause the printer to malfunction I'd have thought. Could be that there is a driver conflict at this stage as the OP has done a lot of reinstalling and may not have fully removed the previous drivers.

Well I'm doing a lot of un-installing and re-installing but if I just keep repeating I possibly amn't un-installing fully? How can I delete absolutely everything? At 1 stage I had like 5 of the same Printer installed. And it took me 2 days to find out that I had to delete everything in the Printer Queues to delete the bloody Printers.

If I download my Printer Driver on the Canon Website, what exactly do I do then?! Install it on my Laptop, and what exactly do I do next?!

Actually! Maybe this makes a difference to something, but what gets downloaded is 2 different things, MP Printer and MP Series Printer. Perhaps I'm not doing the download/install correctly.

Like if I install the Canon Driver myself to my Laptop, and go then and Add Printer, how do I link up the Driver? I don't know where to go when I get the 4 options to choose which Printer I want to add.

It never seems to be listed automatically, so I have to find it, but I don't know which of the 4 to pick, there's like Shared Printer Connection, there's TCIP something, and there's 2 others.

Follow the instructions here first to manually remove all printer drivers
    https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/page.php?id=52550

Restart your laptop and then install be correct driver for your printer (do you have an install CD?)
    Then connect the printer and it should find the driver automatically

When I type in Print Management it brings up Administrative Tools in the Start Menu.

From this Video I'm missing Print Management Folder in the Console. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzXqEjOyvqg

• Advertisement

Are you Windows 7 or 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Print Management is not present on Home editions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Try CMD and this command instead

printui /s /t2

Advertisement