Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope Francis offered $1m to go vegan for Lent ...

Comments

VeryTerry wrote: »
    No it's not you lunatic. The rest of your post makes no sense either.

Actually it does, but I think I just got the answer I was expecting due to you talking ****e in your earlier posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Actually it does, but I think I just got the answer I was expecting due to you talking ****e in your earlier posts

You're having a laugh if you think millions and millions of people are eating bush meat in developing countries. They're hard up but it's not Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No it's not you lunatic. The rest of your post makes no sense either.

I would agree. Ethiopa for example had approx 53 million cattle and a similar number of other livestock. Goat meat is probably the most popular meat in many parts of the developing world, followed by sheep meat (mutton) . Chicken and other poultry ditto. Bush meat is certainly eaten but by no means is the only or main source of meat in many developing countries.

'Song birds' were never hunted or eaten to any appreciable degree in Ireland. France and some other European countries - yes and they still do. Your grandparents were evidently pulling your leg ...

gozunda wrote: »
    I would agree. Ethiopa for example had approx 53 million cattle and a similar number of other livestock. Goat meat is probably the most popular meat in many parts of the developing world, followed by sheep meat (mutton) . Chicken and other poultry ditto. Bush meat is certainly eaten but by no means is the only or main source of meat in many developing countries.

'Song birds' were never hunted or eaten to any appreciable degree in Ireland. France and some other European countries - yes and they still do. Your grandparents were evidently pulling your leg ...

It's all chicken and mutton where I am. Mutton shanks are the biz.

Nope not with fourteen kids to feed, my aunts and uncles would have to be keeping up with it too over a long time. Blackbirds and Thrush mainly according to my mam as they were easy to snare. Wood pigeon too, but only when a neighbor had some spare.

Nope not with fourteen kids to feed, my aunts and uncles would have to be keeping up with it too over a long time. Blackbirds and Thrush mainly according to my mam as they were easy to snare. Wood pigeon too, but only when a neighbor had some spare.

How do you think they would have felt if the rich lad up the road suggested they should go vegan?

Well your grandparents were either gormet diners or they ate just about anything. Song birds are not and never were commonly eaten here. Tbh you'd want many dozen songbirds to have any hope of making a dinner for a family of fourteen! Song birds are tiny and nearly all skin, bone and feather.

Now wild wood pigeon (which is not a song bird) are easily found in field margins and wooded areas. Walk along any country lane with trees and you'll most likley spot them. Nor are they are hard to hunt. They are also often plump and make good eating. Ditto rabbit.

How do you think they would have felt if the rich lad up the road suggested they should go vegan?

Do you care about people’s feeling now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sleepy wrote: »
    It would preclude him from taking communion for Lent though?

Since he's the head of an organisation that *literally* believes a piece of unleavened bread becomes human flesh after a few magic words are spoken and all...
    Now you're delving into the complex issue of consent. It generally doesn't arise with veganism because people don't get into cannibalism, but since the primary issue is treating the animal with respect and acknowledging the suffering that farming causes, then the consumption of flesh (or human produce :() provided by a freely consenting adult, is a-ok with vegans.

There is precedent - there's nothing which says a vegan can't or shouldn't swallow after blowjob. Or should refuse a blood transfusion.

So since in the Catholic faith, Jesus freely offered his body and blood for the good of his disciples, it seems there should be no conflict between veganism and transubstantiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

vegansiam in the US started as an anti masturbation movement in the US mixed in with garden of edan mumbojumbo back in the 19th century

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

silverharp wrote: »
    vegansiam in the US started as an anti masturbation movement in the US mixed in with garden of edan mumbojumbo back in the 19th century
    So did breakfast cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Farmers now calling it a cult. Seems this stunt has them rattled in the boglands :pac:

In relation to board bia, meat and dairy are a business, and their advertising their products to a privileged society, no different than the makers of vegan convenience food. So if you have a problem with members of a privileged society wanting people to go vegan, I assume you have a problem with members of the same society wanting people to eat meat and dairy?

Whoa there. If think you are trying to suggest that somehow that Ireland is somehow a 'privileged' society because much of our agriculture production is restricted by our climate and topography then you are barking up the wrong tree.

In ireland extensive livestock type farming is practised as it takes advantage of the one crop which grows best in Irish conditions - which is grass. Humans can't eat grass but livestock can and they in turn provide us with a range of good sources of protein and other essential nutrients.

Many many other countries world wide including poor and developing countries also depend on livestock for their foodstuffs and livelihoods. Does that make them privileged? Like fek it does.

Bord Bia is a national agency which supports indigenous production and foodstuffs here.
    Whatever you may think of the promotion of Irish produce - It is no way comparable to some mega corporation pushing its highly processed products made up of cheap ingredients flown from around the world and often sourced in regions with few if any environmental or ethical controls by buying off the Pope. So no I don't have problems with Bord Bia and it's role in improving and supporting Irish foods. I do have problems with large multi-national corporations hell bent on buying their way into an ideology.

No doubt I'll have someone along shortly telling me that I must work for them or similar. The answer is no I don't. If you want to advocate for changes in diet by all means do so - but don't attack those who support irish agriculture and food production because it doesn't match your dietary preferences

Do you care about people’s feeling now ?

Depends who's feelings we're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seamus wrote: »
    So did breakfast cereal.

true, kellogs was connected to this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

They were practically vegetarian as it was, and sure anyone can suggest someone try anything doesn't mean that they have to, the rich lad up the road couldn't care less about them.
    Also nothing in the article says that people in developing countries go vegan. Could you provide data to back up your claim regarding eating or not of bush meat?

I have only been in Mali and from what I seen out in rural areas and from talking to the guides hunt for most of their meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Unearthly wrote: »
    Farmers now calling it a cult. Seems this stunt has them rattled in the boglands :pac:

crazy talk get some protein into you :pac:

all this vegan b $hit, most likely contributes that we reached point in civilized countries where most people can afford meat as their daily intake, as most 3rd countries in the world its to expensive, so they subsitute most of the meat for veg, look at places like india, people dont eat meat there because they make fckn 1$ a day at best not because their all into rice and beans crap.

I would understand if people were able to live off veg themselves, but no way person would survive up to age 5 on $hit like veg alone.

As looking online what vegans or vegetarians eat daily is pathethic, salad mixed with curry some $hit just to make it go down the throat, eating peanuts beans and other crap just to get some fibers in - not much far from brainwashed following.

its like were back into 70s hippy types that got replaced with hipsters and no weed situation now, dont think it will last long.

Whoa there. If think you are trying to suggest that somehow that Ireland is somehow a 'privileged' society because much of our agriculture production is restricted by our climate and topography then you are barking up the wrong tree.

In ireland extensive livestock type farming is practised as it takes advantage of the one crop which grows best in Irish conditions - which is grass. Humans can't eat grass but livestock can and they in turn provide us with a range of good sources of protein and other essential nutrients.

Many many other countries world wide including poor and developing countries also depend on livestock for their foodstuffs and livelihoods. Does that make them privileged? Like fek it does.

Bord Bia is a national agency which supports indigenous production and foodstuffs here.
    Whatever you may think of the promotion of Irish produce - It is no way comparable to some mega corporation pushing its highly processed products made up of cheap ingredients flown from around the world and often sourced in regions with few if any environmental or ethical controls by buying off the Pope. So no I don't have problems with Bord Bia and it's role in improving and supporting Irish foods. I do have problems with large multi-national corporations hell bent on buying their way into an ideology.

No doubt I'll have someone along shortly telling me that I must work for them or similar. The answer is no I don't. If you want to advocate for changes in diet by all means do so - but don't attack those who support irish agriculture and food production because it doesn't match your dietary preferences

Again I'm not vegan I'm not the one obsessing about it.

Yes we are privileged to be able to afford meat on a daily basis we couldn't do so not that long ago.

Also board bia has international offices to promote Irish corporations and food stuffs and identify markets for the same and assisting with exports etc, no different than corporations doing the same except that it's a state body doing so on their behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The fact you don't think there it's possible to get protein from plant based foods means you aren't worth engaging with

Plenty of nutritional information out there.

In fairness though to meat and dairy industry, the marketing of protein and the perception that it's mainly the only place to get protein is impressive

They were practically vegetarian as it was, and sure anyone can suggest someone try anything doesn't mean that they have to, the rich lad up the road couldn't care less about them.
    Also nothing in the article says that people in developing countries go vegan.

I never asked what the rich lad thought of your grandparents. I asked what they would think if while eating their wood pigeon he chimed in by telling them they shouldn't.

The Pope is the head of a lot of peoples religion in developing countries. I think it would be an absolute slap in the face for these people if the Pope was to take money from some rich ideological Americans to not eat any animal products while they struggle to eat at all.

Could you provide data to back up your claim regarding eating or not of bush meat?

I have only been in Mali and from what I seen out in rural areas and from talking to the guides hunt for most of their meat.

"Mali cuisine includes rice and millet as staples of Mali, a food culture heavily based on cereal grains.[1][2] Grains are generally prepared with sauces made from edible leaves, such as sweet potato or baobab, with tomato peanut sauce. The dishes may be accompanied by pieces of grilled meat (typically chicken, mutton, beef, or goat).[1][2]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malian_cuisine

There might be a tiny amount of bush meat eaten but clearly not enough to get a mention above.

In both the developing countries I lived in chicken was a staple for the vast majority of people. The idea that 77 million people in developing countries are regularly eating bush meat is daft.

• Advertisement

Again I'm not vegan I'm not the one obsessing about it.
    Yes we are privileged to be able to afford meat on a daily basis we couldn't do so not that long ago.Also board bia has international offices to promote Irish corporations and food stuffs and identify markets for the same and assisting with exports etc, no different than corporations doing the same except that it's a state body doing so on their behalf.

Right I've had enough of that type of ****e. :mad: btw no mention of the word 'vegan' in that comment whatsoever. However as you brought it up - there's a vegan & vegetarian forum on Boards Where there are endless threads bashing farming, dairy, beef, farmers, you name it and so it continues even here without stop. And yet if anyone else dares starts a thread about corporate interests flogging plant based products using children, religion and the pope they get savaged as 'obsessing' about vegans. Wtf?

Our climate and topography dictate our type of Agriculture. There is nothing priviliged about it. Our living standards have improved so you can get over whatever hangups you have about a different generation to you. If not I suggest you walk every where and not rely on the privilege of using motorised transport, antibiotics or education as obviously previous generations didn't have any of those either.

Many marginal and not so marginalised societies around the world rely on animal farming. Does that not suit your personal ideology? Well tough! Wtf should we not be supporting own indiginous agriculture, what we can produce efficiently and help people here do the best they can?

Your chosen lifestyle as a "'vegan by association in terms of diet 99% of the time." (sic) depends on cheap imported food, the freedom to assume an identity and economic security and apparently results in nothing but bitter spite and hatred directed at those who don't hold your opinions...

Right I've had enough of that type of ****e. :mad: There's a vegan & vegetarian forum on Boards Where there are endless threads bashing farming, dairy, beef, farmers, you name it and so it continues without stop. And yet if anyone else dares starts a thread about corporate interests flogging plant based products using children, religion and the pope they get savaged as 'obsessing' about vegans. Wtf?

Our climate and topography dictate our type of Agriculture. There is nothing priviliged about it. Our living standards have improved so you can get over whatever hangups you have about a different generation to you.

Many marginal and not so marginalised societies around the world rely on animal farming. Does that not suit your personal ideology? Well tough! Wtf should we not be supporting own indiginous agriculture, what we can produce efficiently and help people here do the best they can?

Your chosen lifestyle as a "'vegan by association in terms of diet 99% of the time." (sic) depends on cheap imported food, the freedom to assume an identity and economic security and apparently results in nothing but bitter spite and hatred directed at those who don't hold your opinions...

I think you're going off the deep end here lad, the steak I had last night to the veg are Irish.
    Also having shared meals mean yeah 99% but that's my choice and the majority of the veg comes from my uncle's farm depending on the season.

You really seem to have an issue with people exercising choice that doesn't suit you which a lot of vegans can be guilty of too. Just goes to show plenty of angry people on both sides and as always their the ones who most just want to ignore.

I think you're going off the deep end here lad, the steak I had last night to the veg are Irish.Also having shared meals mean yeah 99% but that's my choice and the majority of the veg comes from my uncle's farm depending on the season.You really seem to have an issue with people exercising choice that doesn't suit you which a lot of vegans can be guilty of too. Just goes to show plenty of angry people on both sides and as always their the ones who most just want to ignore.

My response was measured. And I've no problem with what anyone eats but what I do not like is the endless bulkskite being pushed as dictate and the endless attacks on those who voice an opinion about that. But yes you are correct. Ignoring the rubbish in your posts is to be recommended ...

I never asked what the rich lad thought of your grandparents. I asked what they would think if while eating their wood pigeon he chimed in by telling them they shouldn't.

The Pope is the head of a lot of peoples religion in developing countries. I think it would be an absolute slap in the face for these people if the Pope was to take money from some rich ideological Americans to not eat any animal products while they struggle to eat at all.

"Mali cuisine includes rice and millet as staples of Mali, a food culture heavily based on cereal grains.[1][2] Grains are generally prepared with sauces made from edible leaves, such as sweet potato or baobab, with tomato peanut sauce. The dishes may be accompanied by pieces of grilled meat (typically chicken, mutton, beef, or goat).[1][2]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malian_cuisine

There might be a tiny amount of bush meat eaten but clearly not enough to get a mention above.

In both the developing countries I lived in chicken was a staple for the vast majority of people. The idea that 77 million people in developing countries are regularly eating bush meat is daft.

That's not what you said earlier, you simply said that African Catholics would be offended by the pope's arrogance at giving up meat for lent.

As to my grandparents they would have told someone to go and ****e with themselves but that's the same as for anyone today, we just have more choice in the food stuff available to us.

That's not what you said earlier, you simply said that African Catholics would be offended by the pope's arrogance at giving up meat for lent.

It's exactly what I said earlier.
    we just have more choice in the food stuff available to us.

We do. Lots don't.

It's exactly what I said earlier.

We do. Lots don't.

Hang on in one post their eating chicken, goat and beef and in another they have hardly anything to eat.

It is obvious that unfortunately plenty of people in the developing world didn't have enough to eat. But to say that African Catholics would be offended by the pope giving up meat for lent is what you said earlier and as I pointed out its common for Catholics to do so for lent and not just for the proscribed days of abstinence doesn't hold much ground. Leaving aside the money aspect I'd say they would appreciate him giving up meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

$1m is focking pennies to the Catholic Church.

My response was measured. And I've no problem with what anyone eats but what I do not like is the endless bulkskite being pushed as dictate and the endless attacks on those who voice an opinion about that. But yes you are correct. Ignoring the rubbish in your posts is to be recommended ...
    Thanks for proving my point

Thanks for proving my point

Cat trying to call the dog hairy arse :pac:
    +klopp

Hang on in one post their eating chicken, goat and beef and in another they have hardly anything to eat.

Nuance is lost on you I see. Having little food and eating meat aren't mutually exclusive. What little they do have to eat they eat. Whether it be grain or meat.

I get the impression you're being purposefully obtuse because your argument has been proven wrong be anyone that has engaged with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ain't that what religious people already do for Lent, fasting ..?

Nuance is lost on you I see. Having little food and eating meat aren't mutually exclusive. What little they do have to eat they eat. Whether it be grain or meat.

I get the impression you're being purposefully obtuse because your argument has been proven wrong be anyone that has engaged with you.

No I was just pointing out where you're contradicting yourself.

No I was just pointing out where you're contradicting yourself.

Nope they weren't. Is it that you believe everyone else is wrong or ?

Nope they weren't. Is it that you believe everyone else is wrong or ?

Cat trying to call the dog hairy arse :pac:
    +klopp to quote yourself.

I asked for data proving that bush meat isn't regularly eaten to back up his claims, got a Wikipedia link to the cuisine of Mali. Didn't need that as I was there and eaten it as well as some tasty rat done over an open fire when between villages.

He could have sent

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3237412/

Or

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmeat

And as I said in the rest of my post which was left out of the quote, I don't see African Catholics would find the pope arrogant for givinging up meat for lent as he claimed, and nowhere in the article provided in the op does it claim that anyone is telling people in the developing world to go vegan.

Personally I could give a ****e what anyone wants to eat or not eat, but while you say you don't have an issue with this either, your certainly like a dog with a bone when it comes to it.

Cat trying to call the dog hairy arse ....

I asked for data proving that bush meat isn't regularly eaten to back up his claims, got a Wikipedia link to the cuisine of Mali. Didn't need that as I was there and eaten it as well as some tasty rat done over an open fire when between villages...

You've no idea what that really means do you? :pac:

I must say you're a great advocate for eating scrawny birds, rat etc. The stories are brilliant btw. Personally I don't give a flying monkies what anyone eats whether they live in Madagascar, Kuala Lumpur or Ballyhaunis. Its largely irrelevant to the thread topic. What I do not like is the endless bulkskite being pushed as dictate and the endless attacks on others.

And the same little dig dropped in once again lol. It really is quite hilarious - but its nearly always the same screaming ninjas + friends like to tell others they are not allowed to comment on certain topics. Funny the way freedom of expression only work for select groups. But there you go ;)

But anyway back to the topic at hand let's ignore the current News where in the space of less than two weeks number of dodgy corporate interests are feeding us the same bs promoting the plant food industry and using influencers to do so in order to flogg highly processed ****e. This latest one using children, religion and the pope. Don't forget to try and shoot the messagners whilst you're at it.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

It sounds like they're trying to hold the Pope to ransom. They appear to have allocated $1m, so will they punish charities by not donating the money if the Pope doesn't meet their demands?

You've no idea what that really means do you? :pac:

I must say you're a great advocate for eating scrawny birds, rat etc. The stories are brilliant btw. Personally I don't give a flying monkies what anyone eats whether they live in Madagascar, Kuala Lumpur or Ballyhaunis. Its largely irrelevant to the thread topic. What I do not like is the endless bulkskite being pushed as dictate and the endless attacks on others.

And the same little dig dropped in once again lol. It really is quite hilarious - but its nearly always the same screaming ninjas + friends like to tell others they are not allowed to comment on certain topics. Funny the way freedom of expression only work for select groups. But there you go ;)

But anyway back to the topic at hand let's ignore the current News where in the space of less than two weeks number of dodgy corporate interests are feeding us the same bs promoting the plant food industry and using influencers to do so in order to flogg highly processed ****e. This latest one using children, religion and the pope. Don't forget to try and shoot the messagners whilst you're at it.

Again It's advertising no different than the ones from board bia and the national dairy council and while you have argued that they support Irish agriculture, something I don't disagree with, they also assist corporations in their activities in relation to exports etc.

You don't like these companies using as you said using cheap imports to make their plant based products, or how they advertise, that is the economic system that we live under. Would you have prefer to live under the now non existent Soviet system because no farmer I've ever known would.

Also your saying these vegan companies are dodgy corporate industries, can you give links to show they are. If you mean the likes of Nestle or Unilever who are starting to produce more vegan products sure they have been doing the same with meat and dairy products for decades.

Again It's advertising no different than the ones from board bia and the national dairy council and while you have argued that they support Irish agriculture, something I don't disagree with, they also assist corporations in their activities in relation to exports etc.You don't like these companies using as you said cheap imports to make their plant based products, or how they advertise, that is the economic system that we live under. Would you have prefer to live under the now non existent Soviet system because no farmer I've ever known would.Also your saying these vegan companies are dodgy corporate industries, can you give links to show they are. If you mean the likes of Nestle or Unilever who are starting to produce more vegan products sure they have been doing the same with meat and dairy products for decades.

Fair enough, however if you want to start a thread bashing Bord Bia or whatever then please do so. Bord Bia is not a large multi national corporation. Of note it supports native horticulture, fishery as well as the meat and dairy farmers and helps improve standards. Such as this https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/quality/pages/sustainabledairyassurancescheme.aspx And yes It also helps market all those products for Irish farmers and producers.

Theres nothing fecking 'vegan' about many of those multinational corporate interests - except bandwagoning and just the bottom line of flogging the cheapest ****e possible to as many as possible. They don't care about local production or employment, or even in many cases the environmental or ethical conditions of where or how food is produced. Follow the money and you'll most likely find your answer.

Interesting article here. https://www.mouthymoney.co.uk/how-vegan-evangelists-are-propping-up-the-ultra-processed-food-industry/

Fair enough, however if you want to start a thread bashing Bord Bia or whatever then please do so. Bord Bia is not a large multi national corporation. Of note it supports native horticulture, fishery as well as the meat and dairy farmers and helps improve standards. Such as this https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/quality/pages/sustainabledairyassurancescheme.aspx And yes It also helps market all those products for Irish farmers and producers.

Theres nothing fecking 'vegan' about many of those multinational corporate interests - except bandwagoning and just the bottom line of flogging the cheapest ****e possible to as many as possible. They don't care about local production or employment, or even in many cases the environmental or ethical conditions of where or how food is produced. Follow the money and you'll most likely find your answer.

Interesting article here. https://www.mouthymoney.co.uk/how-vegan-evangelists-are-propping-up-the-ultra-processed-food-industry/

Where did I say I have an issue with bord bia, no where so why would I be starting a thread bashing them?

The companies caring about local employment and ethics, again the economic system we live under but caring about such items has often been a thing vegans are ridiculed for. If you want more employment opportunities for rural Ireland, couldn't agree more but it's your local politicians that you want to talk to.

Environmental issues exist at all levels of food production. Something which is not exclusive to the vegan diet, same thing could be said about someone sitting down to a takeaway or Dominos tonight for dinner, but I can't see farming going back to pre war methods and levels of production and the population being willing to pay the additional costs involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You're going to have a stroke if you keep thinking about vegans every minute of every day.

The irony, vegans can’t stop talking about meat.

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Why do the climate change/vegan activists keep using children as their pawns? Extremely off putting to their cause.

This woman has 23 year old children :D she's very worried about them because she thinks global warming will affect them :rolleyes: wasn't long being put back in her box though:)

It's a fantastic idea from a marketing of veganism perspective.

Puts the pope under pressure to accept to donate the money to worthy causes etc and if he does, the result might be that many practicing Catholics begin to give us meat for lent in the same manner that they used to give us sweets. And if they manage to prove to themselves that it's achievable, and that they even feel better for it, then that's a big score for veganism.

Mrs Gilhooley sorry to burst your bubble but the pope is not held in high regard nowadays, maybe if you went back 40 years it might have an impact. Vegans are clutching at straws as usual :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Isn’t the body of Christ meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Noveight wrote: »
    $1m is focking pennies to the Catholic Church.
    Actually ... can't help but thinking about the 30 pieces of silver Judas was bought with.
    - maybe the Pope should refrain from getting in this war ...
    This week I already got annoyed at that image with the barbequed dog -
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12195639

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ I hate vegans.
    <snip>
    Look at Corbyn. A failure at college and indeed as a politician and a vegan to boot. I couldn’t hate the tosser any more than what I already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sure Lent is nearly two weeks away

One anti-vegan flat out with a shovel in a hole.

Anti-vegan brigade summoned but too late to save face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Unearthly wrote: »
    I find it much easier being healthy vegan than a meat eater.

Simple things like when people brought in junk food to work is no longer an option for me, same with take away, delis etc.

When I was eating dominos and McDonald's no one cared about my health, but now when I eat fruit, veg, nuts etc I get concerned people wondering about my b12 levels :pac:
    But do you cook vegan/buy your groceries from the "new" vegan shops ? How does that work for you, budget wise ? It looks to me ppl do save on the price of meat, but they spent the same money or more on other produce in vegan dedicated shops - and then they're told "isn’t your health worth the extra couple of bucks"
    - I do love my baking: noticed though every time I try a new vegan cake recipe it would be more expensive for me (produce cost and time spent at it) than what I grew up with. so I rarely bake vegan because of that !

@gozunda: any idea if the Pope accepted the offer ?

mvl wrote: »
    But do you cook vegan/buy your groceries from the "new" vegan shops ? How does that work for you, budget wise ? It looks to me ppl do save on the price of meat, but they spent the same money or more on other produce in vegan dedicated shops - and then they're told "isn’t your health worth the extra couple of bucks"- I do love my baking: noticed though every time I try a new vegan cake recipe it would be more expensive for me (produce cost and time spent at it) than what I grew up with. so I rarely bake vegan because of that !

@gozunda: any idea if the Pope accepted the offer ?

Hi. Not in relation to your post btw - but I really don't want this thread being dragged into to being about being anti (sic) 'vegan'. The article detailed in the first comment was about corporate interests trying to use the Pope, children and religion to persuade people to buy certain types of highly processed foodstuffs.

In the thread I note has attracted some of the usual -"this is anti vegan" rhetoric as an attempt to attack. The thread is not 'about' any dietary preference no matter to the usual small number of angry naysayers who've arrived along to wave their flag as a weapon in a silly attempt to stifle discussion, throw insult and to derail the thread. No thanks. See Klopps and other posts above for example. A bit of cop on needed tbh.

As to whether the Pope will accept the offer. I've no idea. But as someone pointed out isn't abstinence already a part of lent? I've no real expertise in that area I'm afraid.

Edit: Its causing a reaction alright and a negative one at that imo.

See: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1083278/vegan-pope-francis-piers-morgan-the-pope-million-dollar-vegan-veganism-susanna-reid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Blazer wrote: »
    Christ I hate vegans.
    Vegetarians are grand but vegans are sanctimonious pricks right up there with paedos and serial killers.
    Look at Corbyn. A failure at college and indeed as a politician and a vegan to boot. I couldn’t hate the tosser any more than what I already do.

Get a grip there Blazer.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement