Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briquette ashes for fertiliser

Options
  • 06-02-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Is the ash produced by Briquettes (Bord Na Mona specifically) suitable for fertiliser? I cannot find much information online and want to be sure before I use it in conjunction with ashes from timber that I burn.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, you can use the ash from briquettes in the garden. be careful not to spread them too thickly, they can get claggy in the rain.
    ash from wood is OK too, but not from coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Excellent source of potash (clue in the name, lol) - the Potassium (K) of NPK fertilisers

I spread wood ashes around my raspberries and fruit trees. Barbecue charcoal is also wood ash.

The peat ash goes slimy when wet: in the country I spread it in a line along the base of a hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

If you have a small garden I wouldn't recommend it as it does form a fairly solid pan if not spread out a lot (pan meaning that water will pond on it). If you can spread it thin it would be ok- in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

btw, i would say peat as a source of ash is great, but as a source of heat it's probably hard to find worse.

Advertisement