Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole house needs to be rewired for HAP?

Options
  • 06-02-2019 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

So, I'm a HAP tenant and my house was recently inspected to to see if it met the standards for HAP.
    Everything was fine, except the guy said we need to get an electrician to certify the electricity in the house.
    My landlord got a guy to come out today, and he said that the whole house needs to be rewired to meet the new standards, and he gave a quote of ~€9,000.

The house is an old farmhouse but most of the wiring seems to be fairly new, and there's no problems with the electricity. I was under the impression that the "cert" to satisfy HAP was just to show that the wiring in the house was safe, not that it had to be up to the latest standards, which seem to change every few years anyway.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The electrical installation is not certified for HAP but a Periodic Inspection Report is required. This is not a certificate and therefore is not simply about compliance with the Wiring Rules but about non-compliances adversely affecting the safety of the installation, damage and degradation etc. Without inspecting and testing the installation in question I can't answer whether it is in need of remedial works or not, or indeed a complete rewire or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭4fvw6lcprxeoyq

Risteard81 wrote: »
    The electrical installation is not certified for HAP but a Periodic Inspection Report is required. This is not a certificate and therefore is not simply about compliance with the Wiring Rules but about non-compliances adversely affecting the safety of the installation, damage and degradation etc. Without inspecting and testing the installation in question I can't answer whether it is in need of remedial works or not, or indeed a complete rewire or not.

Yea, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking myself. Perhaps the landlord and electrician got their wires crossed(sorry!).

Thanks,
    I'll pass that info along to the landlord.

Advertisement