Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Meet the team/Our people" Company Web pages

Options
  • 06-02-2019 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Something that crops up in my own industry every so often and I'm guessing plenty of others.

How do people feel about this, generally?

A few years ago I worked in a company and the director walks into the office and announces "I hope you're all ready to come in with your shuuurt and toooyyyee on ya tomorrow" (at me, I was new the others had already done it).

I let on not to know what he was talking about (I knew exactly where this was going) and I says "you must have a big wig in tomorrow. I hade a suit and tie on for the interview and you told me I was overdressed".

"you're going to be going up on our company website" I was told. As if to say I'd be overjoyed by the news.

I tried my best to just say look, I wouldn't be comfortable with it. I wound up being called into his office and a huge row erupted. I didn't stay on there much longer (horrible company in general, not just that issue) and never did wind up on the "company website".

Talking to the other guys working there I don't believe anyone was entirely comfortable with it. Everyone else just done it anyway because the guy was a bit of a tw@t to put it mildly and I guess they just wanted an easy life.

There's any number of reasons why I didn't want my mugshot, name and place of work plastered all over the Internet for all to see. I don't really bother with social media either but that's still a different kettle of fish. Just because I might have a mybebobookspacefacepage shouldn't mean I'm legally obliged to go on this tw@ts website if I don't want to.

My house could be robbed by day, identy theft, data protection, etc.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this matter? I was very pi$$ed off over it. But like I say I didn't stay very long anyway.

I imagine there's many a person would feel coerced into going along with it for the sake of their jobs.

Just looking for other people's opinions I suppose. Assuming you wouldn't like it how would you get out of it if you were in that position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

What type of position did you hold in the company?

If it was any type of a senior role, or if you would be customer facing, it can be very normal to have your picture up, along with a short write up about ones role and past experiences.

This was the case in the company I previously worked for, it is the case for the company that I work for now, it also seems to be the case for most of our suppliers, and was even the case for the dentist I went to see earlier.

I really don't see your issue with this. I also don't understand how this is now suddenly an issue for you even though this happened years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

skallywag wrote: »
    What type of position did you hold in the company?

If it was any type of a senior role, or if you would be customer facing, it can be very normal to have your picture up, along with a short write up about ones role and past experiences.

This was the case in the company I previously worked for, it is the case for the company that I work for now, it also seems to be the case for most of our suppliers, and was even the case for the dentist I went to see earlier.

I really don't see your issue with this. I also don't understand how this is now suddenly an issue for you even though this happened years ago?

Tbh, if that's what you're drawing from this you're missing the point. Completely.

Tbh, if that's what you're drawing from this you're missing the point. Completely.

I believe it's a fair point, which might help us gain some more context into your situation.

Has something happened in the meantime which now makes this now more relevant than at the time, e.g. did someone from the same team have negative fallout because of the same?

Or is your point that companies should never have names / pictures of any staff members listed on the website under any circumstances whatsoever?

I believe it's a fair point, which might help us gain some more context into your situation.

Has something happened in the meantime which now makes this now more relevant than at the time, e.g. did someone from the same team have negative fallout because of the same?

Or is your point that companies should never have names / pictures of any staff members listed on the website under any circumstances whatsoever?

It isn't really. It goes on these days just as it did back then. For some reason it seems like you're trying to make this out to be something that affects me only, and that as it happened in the past I should pretend it's not a thing.

No, nothing. I'd refuse to do it if my current company asked me to just as I did back then. For all of the reasons outlined. I'm paid to be at my desk and doing my job during work hours. Not to be plastered all over the www.

On your last point I would say that if someone didn't want to be part of one of these 'pages' a simple 'no' should be the end of it. But as I've said in that particular case the people working there were generally uncomfortable with it and just went along with it for an easier life.

I'm a reasonably private person myself and felt very uncomfortable with the idea.

I don't understand what's to be gained from it on the employers side either.

This is an example (example, not the particular company incase anyone jumps to any conclusions) of what I'm talking about. Although this one has been scaled back. There was around 40-50 there. Right the way down to the receptionist.

Also skallywag in the company I'm referring to everyone was expected to take part.

https://www.edcengineers.com/meet-the-team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I look after our marketing and I have consent forms from staff who are happy to have their pictures used for marketing purposes, website, advertisement etc. I make it clear they are free to withdraw consent at any time. We have to keep a written copy of consent for GDPR. When staff leave it is destroyed right away, and they know if they wish to withdraw I will do it right away and any images will be taken down from our website. Nobody is forced into it, there's a lot of staff who haven't signed forms.

Personally I'm not comfortable with my image being used for such purposes in normal every day life, but I can't expect staff to do it if I wont so I always do. I try to use the same staff members because those few are delighted every time their face comes up. Don't give consent, and if they force it make a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

...For some reason it seems like you're trying to make this out to be something that affects me only, and that as it happened in the past I should pretend it's not a thing...

I am trying to get more context on your situation, if something happened a fair bit into the past, and you are only posting about it now, then I find it perfectly reasonable to question why. You asked for opinions, and in order to give you the best feedback then the more known about the exact context the better.

Concerning the example you shared, this itself would be very common for such positions to be listed publicly with a short write-up. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with it, and if someone in such a position was refusing to do it, then it would definitely raise an eyebrow with me.

That said, for employees outside of management (or some other highly visible customer facing roll) e.g. a design engineer who just sits at the desk every day, with no interface to customers, I would find it very unusual for them to be listed in the same manner. I would also not see the point to it. Group photos of the complete staff are quite common, but not individual mentions. In this case I would find it perfectly reasonable to object, and I believe that in this day and age the majority of employers would have no issue in complying with your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I am trying to get more context on your situation, if something happened a fair bit into the past, and you are only posting about it now, then I find it perfectly reasonable to question why. You asked for opinions, and in order to give you the best feedback then the more known about the exact context the better.

Op's situation is irrelevant, companies expecting emp!oyees to post pictures on their website for marketing purposes is not on - data protection legislation is there for a reason.

Op's situation is irrelevant, companies expecting emp!oyees to post pictures on their website for marketing purposes is not on - data protection legislation is there for a reason.

I believe that the OP's situation concerning the position held in the company is very relevant.

If it's a picture of a random employee merely being used for marketing / PR purposes then I agree with you.

If it's a picture / write-up about someone in a management position (or someone else who deals extensively with the company's customers) then refusing is not going to go down well. E.g., taking the OP's example:

If anyone in such a role objects, then it's definitely going to be noted. On the other hand, if it's going down to the level of listing every single staff member, just for the sake of it, then I see no logic in it and of course one could and should object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

I look after our marketing and I have consent forms from staff who are happy to have their pictures used for marketing purposes, website, advertisement etc. I make it clear they are free to withdraw consent at any time. We have to keep a written copy of consent for GDPR. When staff leave it is destroyed right away, and they know if they wish to withdraw I will do it right away and any images will be taken down from our website. Nobody is forced into it, there's a lot of staff who haven't signed forms.

Personally I'm not comfortable with my image being used for such purposes in normal every day life, but I can't expect staff to do it if I wont so I always do. I try to use the same staff members because those few are delighted every time their face comes up. Don't give consent, and if they force it make a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

If the role involves representing the company publicly, the use of the pictures/likeness/etc is often a requirement, and no consent other than the employment contract is required.

I think you're making this out to be much more clear cut than it is, at least until some of the issues have been decided on in the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I wouldn't allow them to use it. Same way I won't put it on any social media because whenever I get arrested for killing a tranny hooker, at least the herald wont have a picture of me to publish.

Concerning the example you shared, this itself would be very common for such positions to be listed publicly with a short write-up. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with it, and if someone in such a position was refusing to do it, then it would definitely raise an eyebrow with me.

That said, for employees outside of management (or some other highly visible customer facing roll) e.g. a design engineer who just sits at the desk every day, with no interface to customers, I would find it very unusual for them to be listed in the same manner. I would also not see the point to it. Group photos of the complete staff are quite common, but not individual mentions. In this case I would find it perfectly reasonable to object, and I believe that in this day and age the majority of employers would have no issue in complying with your wishes.

I don't have a situation. This isn't about me. There are people up and down, over and back the country all day every day looking for jobs. Someone looking right now or in a similar situation might see this thread.

I don't know why you're trying to personalise it into being about me so much. I didn't come on here looking for advice or anything.

This is a nationwide thing concerning all people in employment or looking for employment.

You might not see anything wrong with it but I've already pointed out some of the reasons (not all, there are many) why I would not be comfortable with such an endeavour.

Would it be that simple everywhere though? I could imagine a difficult employer making someone's life difficult if they didn't didn't play along with their scam. In a lot of jobs people start on a 3 month probation thing. They can be canned at any time for pretty much any reason

I don't know why you're trying to personalise it into being about me so much. I didn't come on here looking for advice or anything.

You asked for opinions, and in order for me to give you my opinion I would like to understand as much as possible, it's as simple as that.

As I mentioned already, I believe that the exact details (i.e. were you involved in management, or were you involved extensively with customers) are very relevant here, and depending on them, I would either see it as being something which is perfectly fine, or not.

You asked for opinions, and in order for me to give you my opinion I would like to understand as much as possible, it's as simple as that.

As I mentioned already, I believe that the exact details (i.e. were you involved in management, or were you involved extensively with customers) are very relevant here, and depending on them, I would either see it as being something which is perfectly fine, or not.

Regardless of whether I was or wasn't, my reasons (outlined already) for not wanting to be part of it stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Same way I won't put it on any social media because whenever I get arrested for killing a tranny hooker, at least the herald wont have a picture of me to publish.

I like this line of thinking as a reason not to allow your photo & details online.

But as for the other ‘reasons’, like those given by the OP, I really don’t see a problem.

‘House could be robbed during the day’ – because there’s no way nobody would ever know you were out at work during the day if your picture wasn’t on a page on your company’s website?

‘Identity theft’ – Surely you need more than somebody’s name and job title to do that? These ‘meet the team’ pages don’t have your date of birth, PPS number, bank account details, or anything else put up there for people to see….

‘Data protection’ – ditto – again, they’re not posting sensitive, private data online.

Generally speaking, a website is an important marketing tool for a company. And a company’s staff can be one of its biggest strengths. Stands to reason that it would use the experience and expertise of its staff for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I also hate this stuff.

I had a stalker a few years ago (she stalked me for a year) so I get very creeped out about having my information out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Most businesses are highly reliant on online information/advertising nowadays and informing the customer of the names, position held, area of expertise and qaulifications of key people is a part of that. Businesses don’t put every employee on their site, but they often put the ones that customers believe to be most important.

The link you posted is an example of that, managers in different branches and departments. I don’t see the problem with that site at all. In a couple of seconds I know who the MD is and if I’m based in London, who to contact.

Duffryman wrote: »
    I like this line of thinking as a reason not to allow your photo & details online.

But as for the other ‘reasons’, like those given by the OP, I really don’t see a problem.

‘House could be robbed during the day’ – because there’s no way nobody would ever know you were out at work during the day if your picture wasn’t on a page on your company’s website?

‘Identity theft’ – Surely you need more than somebody’s name and job title to do that? These ‘meet the team’ pages don’t have your date of birth, PPS number, bank account details, or anything else put up there for people to see….

‘Data protection’ – ditto – again, they’re not posting sensitive, private data online.

Generally speaking, a website is an important marketing tool for a company. And a company’s staff can be one of its biggest strengths. Stands to reason that it would use the experience and expertise of its staff for marketing purposes.

Can you show me where I said anything like that?

I'm not in the business of breaking into houses or identity theft so I don't know the ins and outs of everything involved. I'm not comfortable with that particular piece of the jigsaw being freely available.

Companies sell their products in different ways. There's no need in my opinion, for "this is Dave. Dave has spent 10 years at X before this he was at Y".

If I'm looking for something I'm not particularly bothered on who works there, least of all their mugshot.

As some people have already suggested that it's not a big deal, surely it should be equally not a big deal if an employee isn't interested.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Most businesses are highly reliant on online information/advertising nowadays and informing the customer of the names, position held, area of expertise and qaulifications of key people is a part of that. Businesses don’t put every employee on their site, but they often put the ones that customers believe to be most important.

The link you posted is an example of that, managers in different branches and departments. I don’t see the problem with that site at all. In a couple of seconds I know who the MD is and if I’m based in London, who to contact.

I would agree something would be very odd if the MD at a company needed mugshots of his employees for his company Web page but wouldn't participate themselves.

• Advertisement

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I also hate this stuff.

I had a stalker a few years ago (she stalked me for a year) so I get very creeped out about having my information out there.

Exactly how I feel about it. You don't know who's going to be looking for you or at you on one of these pages, or what they might be looking for. I'd rather not take the chance, given the choice.

People are entitled to a private life outside of work.

I know of one case (funny one actually) where a guy was poached by a rival company after they saw them on one of these Web pages. Good enough for them I say. Needles to say his current company doesn't use one on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Customer facing personnel, account managers, directors / management staff I think it makes complete sense for and its part of running a business these days, people still like to put a face to a business and in our global economy , this is how it happens.

The issue of lower ranking / background staff is where the question lies, some corporate cultures have everyone included so its not a 'them and us' scenario and expect everyone to join, some companies people realise that not everyone needs to be in on everything. I think if youre in the management up to ceo bracket and you refused it would have me question why, down lower than that youd be lucky to be in a company that just leaves the 'lower tier' off the website.

Funnily enough though, Ive always been interested in the phenomenon of social media lookups by employers, most do it now as do recruiters and the funny thing ive found is that most of them dont care if they don't find you , but if they do find you on social media , if you don't have a photo of yourself up it concerns them. I can see where theyre coming from, people with anime/car/dog profile pictures on facebook automatically seem creepy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Exactly how I feel about it. You don't know who's going to be looking for you or at you on one of these pages, or what they might be looking for. I'd rather not take the chance, given the choice.

People are entitled to a private life outside of work.

I know of one case (funny one actually) where a guy was poached by a rival company after they saw them on one of these Web pages. Good enough for them I say. Needles to say his current company doesn't use one on their website.

Interesting enough point here. I personally don't think that it's necessary to have a "meet the team" online if the team are not customer-facing or senior management. I can see why companies do it mind - maybe they're proud of their team and want to show them off, maybe they want to give their brand a more "personal" feel to give them the edge over competitors etc etc.

Huge downside though is that recruiters and competitors know exactly who to target for poaching - in a candidate-short market it could be very detrimental to the employer but for the employee, sure it could be a great opportunity.

My picture and bio is on my company website and I regularly use LinkedIn. I'm contacted a good bit from recruiters and competitors. It's a risk that my employer obviously decides to take. On the flipside then, we're not allowed attend industry events because they're considered hot-beds for poaching staff.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Can you show me where I said anything like that?

You said in your very first post that 'my house could be robbed by day'.

Well, yes it could, as could mine or anybody else's. But I'm wondering what makes you think the chances of your house being robbed by day are increased if there's a picture and a few details about you on a company website?

Well, yes it could, as could mine or anybody else's. But I'm wondering what makes you think the chances of your house being robbed by day are increased if there's a picture and a few details about you on a company website?

No no hang a sec this is what I was replying to. I actually even bolded it for you:

because there’s no way nobody would ever know you were out at work during the day if your picture wasn’t on a page on your company’s website?

Would you like to address that point?

It's actually quite simple. Someone knows where you'll be by day, will have a fair idea of when you'll be away and how long it will take you to get to and back from work.

No one who's house gets robbed thinks it's going to happen or how.

No different from all those warnings we hear all the time from the gardai telling people not to post on facebook etc where they're taking their holidays.

Interesting enough point here. I personally don't think that it's necessary to have a "meet the team" online if the team are not customer-facing or senior management. I can see why companies do it mind - maybe they're proud of their team and want to show them off, maybe they want to give their brand a more "personal" feel to give them the edge over competitors etc etc.

Huge downside though is that recruiters and competitors know exactly who to target for poaching - in a candidate-short market it could be very detrimental to the employer but for the employee, sure it could be a great opportunity.

My picture and bio is on my company website and I regularly use LinkedIn. I'm contacted a good bit from recruiters and competitors. It's a risk that my employer obviously decides to take. On the flipside then, we're not allowed attend industry events because they're considered hot-beds for poaching staff.....

If a client or customer needs to meet someone in relation to a project, they will meet them when they need to. Having a mugshot on the interweb does not contribute anything towards efficiency or productivity to carry out the task.

Jesus imagine shaking hands with someone and saying something like "hello I'm Creaven Moorehead I head up the dingus department" and getting "ah yes Creaven I recognised you from your photo on the meet the team page"? I'd be freaked out as sh@t

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest it depends on your role and whether you are customer facing or not.

I am customer in a customer facing profession and I was also part of the management team in my last company so of course I was on the "meet my team" page and I didn't have a problem with it. I work for a much larger company now and whilst I am not on their meet the team page I have spoken at a couple of events so those events have put my details up as well. So it's all part of the territory for me.

If you aren't in a customer facing role then I don't see the value for the company in putting your name out there. But you should always have the final say on whether you are put up on the web page and you definitely shouldn't be bullied into being part of it if you are not comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't have a situation. This isn't about me. There are people up and down, over and back the country all day every day looking for jobs. Someone looking right now or in a similar situation might see this thread.

I don't know why you're trying to personalise it into being about me so much. I didn't come on here looking for advice or anything.....

There always someone digging to make it personal (or get personal info) on these forums. I always make something ludicrous up and string them along for a while.

I don't see why any company needs to put up info about their personnel unless its brings value both to the person and the company. Like a media profile that some people and companies spend years growing. You should be able to opt out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

This is an example (example, not the particular company incase anyone jumps to any conclusions) of what I'm talking about. Although this one has been scaled back. There was around 40-50 there. Right the way down to the receptionist.

Also skallywag in the company I'm referring to everyone was expected to take part.

I’m really surprised to see almost everyone with folded arms = closed and guarded body language.

Advertisement