Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV camera as a normal channel on the tv

• 06-02-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If I was to setup a CCTV system in a farm yard which is across the road from the farm house and on different ESB connection could I use This
    to transmit the signal 50-100m across the road and retune my fathers TV so have an extra channel that would cover the farm yard?
    Would the normal terrestrial saoirview antenna pick it up ?
    I'm looking for an easy solution rather than having to change the tv input and then confusing him with different settings.
    Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

I think that transmitter you linked is analogue but I’m not sure. If you want digital you could get a DVB-T Modulator and hook that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I would steer clear of boxes like that HLLY. It would output an analogue signal within broadcast frequencies and the harmonics emitted may actually interfere with your Saorview signal. Even then, you would have to switch your TV between digital mode for Saorview and analogue mode for your camera. On some TVs, that process may be inconvenient.

Consider a wireless AV sender and receiver.

Connect your camera into the sender unit on the yard side. On the house side, connect the receiver unit into a DVB-T Modulator, like this:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HDMI-Modulator-Edision-Full-HD-RF-Modulator-For-Sky-Freesat-Freeview-UPC/181651419788?hash=item2a4b44b28c:g:Qd0AAOSwKGhZkZ~X:rk:1:pf:0

You can loop your Saorview signal through the modulator, so Saorview will be combined with the camera image. You can program the modulator to output the camera image on a channel which your TV will recognise in the same way as any Saorview channel. Pick a channel that won't clash with Saorview, such as 99 or 111. This will make it handy to quickly select the camera image on the TV.

I have been using one of those modulators for years and never had a problem with it.

When you research a wireless sender I would recommend it operates in the 2.4GHz range to help in covering the distance between the two locations you want. Try to set the units up so that they have line-of-sight with each other.

Finally, that modulator accepts a HDMI input only. If your AV Sender only has an RCA output, you will need to buy a small converter to link between the Sender output and the Modulator input. There are modulators that have RCA inputs, but many are multi-channel units and others do not operate to the same specification output which matches the Saorview standard for your TV to recognise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That HLLY device would be illegal here, needing a licence that is not issued. You may not even get it through customs

The 2.4Ghz videosenders can completely nuke out wifi, if you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

+1 on the advice not to transmit on licenced frequencies.

An alternative could be ip cameras in the farm, connected back to the house via a pair of ubiquity point to point radios and from there to a network video recorder. These would operate on the 2.4ghz frequencies too, are directional and the power can be reduced to limit possible interference.

From there the easiest option would be the same as above, that is to connect the hdmi output of the nvr to a DVB-t modulator ( I use the same one as linked above) which would be connected inline to the existing tv cables in the house. The hdmi output of the nvr would be added as a dvb-t channel to the existing antenna cable allowing any of the TVs that are connected to view the channel ( assuming relatively new tv that is capable of receiving digital signals etc)

This way you could get multiple cameras ( depending on tv size etc) displayed at one time

I believe the guys at freetv.ie have the camera kits, the ubiquity access points and also the hdmi DVB-t modulator ( it’s where I bought mine from at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

We're using a transmitter receiver like the set below at home. Covers 200-300m (line of sight) in our case and picked up by 2 houses. In one house we connect the output with RCA to an analog modulator (example below) and it is combined with Saorview signal on all tvs in house. It is tuned in similar to the "old" rte analog signal so we just do a channel down from RTE 1 on most of the TVs to pick it up.

https://www.equicom.ie/wireless-transmitter-receiver-for-calving-cameras.html

https://www.freetv.ie/proception-rf-modulator/

• Advertisement
Advertisement