Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a good quality WiFi access point

Options
  • 06-02-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

I have Sky Fiber with a Gigabox in my living room. WiFi is solid downstairs and in bedroom above the living room.

However, anywhere else (large 3 story house) WiFi is 1 bar at best.

I have ethernet cat6 run to various rooms, and I have an old SkyHub running as a WiFi access point. Signal from this is fine, but it randomly drops off / powers off.

It's driving me nuts. So, any suggestions on a good WiFi AP?
    Don't need any particular features, DHCP, Firewall etc. Just a stable WiFi connection for some mobile phones and 2 laptops to connect.

Thanks!

Budget is €70/€80 max.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi,

I have Sky Fiber with a Gigabox in my living room. WiFi is solid downstairs and in bedroom above the living room.

However, anywhere else (large 3 story house) WiFi is 1 bar at best.

I have ethernet cat6 run to various rooms, and I have an old SkyHub running as a WiFi access point. Signal from this is fine, but it randomly drops off / powers off.

It's driving me nuts. So, any suggestions on a good WiFi AP?
    Don't need any particular features, DHCP, Firewall etc. Just a stable WiFi connection for some mobile phones and 2 laptops to connect.

Thanks!

Budget is €70/€80 max.

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN Access Point https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MmQxCbH4T7YXJ

If you search there's been many threads here about Ubiquiti, they're an enterprise solution used in hotels and the likes but are pretty easy to setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have the ac lite. Wifi has been rock solid since I installed it. I have my router in the sitting room which is in the corner of the house so the wifi was never that good. I had a redundant tv aerial cable. Removed this and attached a cat 6 cable. Pulled it up into the attic and mounted the AP in the landing ceiling. It's powered over ethernet so no worries about running seperate power to the device.

Advertisement