Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

On the plus side of things, this will bring the lack of a law being broken onto the spotlight. Pretty sure that'll change soon though - no politician has anything to gain by blocking it.
    Surely that would be fraught with difficulty - even if legislators attempted to limit powers of investigative entrapment to Gardaí, the rules of evidence are largely a matter for the courts, and you couldn't rule out similar methods by lay people being introduced in evidence by the courts. Which would amount to a licence for vigilantism.

Furthermore, would any vigilante activities of this nature not just proscribe Gardaí from investigating the same individuals, if public 'investigations' were excluded from that legislation?

And is entrapment even permissible without infringing upon the constitutional right to a fair trial/ fair procedures? Something in the back of my mind is telling me that's a problem, but maybe someone else knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Scum attacked by scum.

In the hierarchy of scum the sex offender is the lowest of the low and even other scum feel a superior moral to sex beasts.

If I witnessed one of these things I can't say I'd beat anyone up, I'm not sure that's in me. I don't like a baying crowd like this, it was fairly obvious the crowd was getting riled so when they attacked I wasn't surprised.

I don't agree on him being attacked, but I've no sympathy for him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

He landed himself in the situation. I feel sorry for his family that might live in the area and the lads targeting the house or something.

Also, if this guy was innocent in it all, he's potentially been slandered and got a hiding.

There's another video, showing the hidin the guy got, about 8/10 fellas all going at him and someone with what looks like a stick or bat. That's not really right either.

Right next to a main road too by looks of it, cars beeping and stopping.

High potential in all this for someone to get seriously injured.

One day, someone or herself/team are going to get seriously injured in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The assault/fight just shows how these people aren't professional to deal with these situations!

The assault/fight just shows how these people aren't professional to deal with these situations!

True, in fairness from the video, you can see herself and some other girl legged it to the side. Think the 'security' stayed to protect your man. However, two lads trying to defend one person against a group of what looks like 10 or so people, one with a weapon.

The entire thing was to me very unprofessional, very badly executed and handled.

It's like she did not get her kicks last week (guy agreed with her that he had issues and needed help) and doubled up on this fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

TallGlass wrote: »
    True, in fairness from the video, you can see herself and some other girl legged it to the side. Think the 'security' stayed to protect your man. However, two lads trying to defend one person against a group of what looks like 10 or so people, one with a weapon.

The entire thing was to me very unprofessional, very badly executed and handled.

It's like she did not get her kicks last week (guy agreed with her that he had issues and needed help) and doubled up on this fella.

Yes, agreed. As I say I’ve warched all her vids and her style and behavior was very different to the norm.

Perhaps his attitude fueled her anger and all the comments from her programs last week regarding the lack of law in Ireland for grooming decoys

Personally , I think she does a good job and should be room for her in some capacity in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 33,497 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surely that would be fraught with difficulty - even if legislators attempted to limit powers of investigative entrapment to Gardaí, the rules of evidence are largely a matter for the courts, and you couldn't rule out similar methods by lay people being introduced in evidence by the courts. Which would amount to a licence for vigilantism.

Furthermore, would any vigilante activities of this nature not just proscribe Gardaí from investigating the same individuals, if public 'investigations' were excluded from that legislation?

And is entrapment even permissible without infringing upon the constitutional right to a fair trial/ fair procedures? Something in the back of my mind is telling me that's a problem, but maybe someone else knows.

As far as I know, the entrapment issue is well defined: the target has to initiate the suggestion of meeting up for sexual activity, thereby showing his willingness to knowingly attempt sexual activity with a minor. If the decoy suggests it, then they're coercing the target and the whole thing falls apart. Open to correction on this.

Question is, does Louise know? I seriously doubt it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I wonder if this will be the downfall of them or the start of the downfall of the group.

As far as I know, the entrapment issue is well defined: the target has to initiate the suggestion of meeting up for sexual activity, thereby showing his willingness to knowingly attempt sexual activity with a minor. If the decoy suggests it, then they're coercing the target and the whole thing falls apart. Open to correction on this.

Question is, does Louise know? I seriously doubt it.
    I did a quick search on Google after I wrote that last reply, and the most conclusive description of the law on entrapment I could find was in this .pdf file from the Office of the DPP. It's pretty vague when it comes to Irish law, but does seem cautious towards entrapment in general

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dppireland.ie/filestore/documents/PAPER_-_Paul_Anthony_McDermott_BL.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiv84mOxMPgAhVKQRUIHaLLBC8QFjAMegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0tYILrIr42V_1HecqKv0rq

Would be interested to know more about this, I think I'll ask about it on the Legal Discussion Forum after doing a bit more reading. It's an interesting idea.

Not sure if you've seen that video on YouTube where this group recorded a 50-year-old man whom they claimed had been targeting a girl he'd believed to be 11-year-old child. I doubt we can post the video here, but his surname is Lynch (how appropriate!)

He was allegedly an employee of An Post, and if they got his identity correct (they rang his phone), I suspect he's lost his job. So even if these practices don't (or cannot) be taken as evidence, they're not without serious consequences. And that's fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Anyone that has posted descenting comments on their Facebook page have been labelled "paedo sympathisers" and that they "need to be investigated".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As with a lot of things. Just talking to them wont really achieve anything.

Fantastic username. That is all.

As with a lot of things. Just talking to them wont really achieve anything.
    I'm not defending the Group, but their actions almost certainly will have a chilling effect on anyone who ever thinks about soliciting sex with minors online.

Also from the same piece.

However Ms De Nortuin said she had heard locally that he was “in a very bad way”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

These people are idiots and need to be stoped. That is really sinister. There is no way this is going to cause any convictions. Jesus talk about trial by Facebook. This is like something from black mirror.

These people are idiots and need to be stoped. That is really sinister. There is no way this is going to cause any convictions. Jesus talk about trial by Facebook. This is like something from black mirror.

It wont end well for them, i would say there is probably a file being built on them.

Calhoun wrote: »

It wont end well for them, i would say there is probably a file being built on them.
    I hope so. That can't be legal.

I hope so. That can't be legal.

Well its not and as someone who grew up near enough to places like Ballyfermot, i can guarantee the chap in question while he is bruised and battered probably will move on but any family he has in the area ect will become pariahs.

Was a chap down from where i grew up, was a scout leader and molested some of the boys in his troop. He did go down but they still attacked the house of his wife and daughters even though they had done nothing wrong. From what i heard as well they more than likely were victims themselves.

Picture going around now of the fella in St James in A&E.

Wouldn't be surprised if a gang showed up there.

Starting to play into lines of 'social media needs regulation'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OK bordsies, who would you rather have at a dinner party? Your women Louise or one of the nonce's? To be perfectly honest, it is a difficult decision for me, she comes off as pure and utter filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It was only a mtter of time before this all went tits up. The're standing on the side of roads, with pages of so called evidence, telling fellas that they're paedos in the loudest voice they can. They say that they won't use force etc. but they can't legislate for the passers by. They'll try to say that they can't be responsible for what others do but if they're standing there shouting and identifying paedos in public then they're completely responsible. Innocent until proven guilty and all that..
    Steve wrote: »
    From what I heard on the wireless, there no law against intending to rape a child, the law is only broken when the child is actually raped.

WTF?

This is why AGS can do nothing about it...

Close but.... you can't be prosecuted for your thoughts, but when you put your thoughts into action or threaten to do so verbally or in writing then the law can intervene.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    I went to a gardi station to report a known pedophile living not 20 minutes away from a street where he molested a bunch of girls I knew. Did they give a **** ? Nope
    Did you offer them some evidence that they could act on?

Why should they give a **** ? He's most likely registered with them if he was convicted so they'd know where he lives.
    There are hundreds of convicted sex offenders living in the country. Bar putting them all on an island they have to live somewhere. At least you know this guy and can keep an eye on him, I guarantee ou that there's plenty more living a lot closer to you that you don't know. They're the ones you should be worried about !!

OK bordsies, who would you rather have at a dinner party? Your women Louise or one of the nonce's? To be perfectly honest, it is a difficult decision for me, she comes off as pure and utter filth.
    Given those choices, there's a lot to be said for eating alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Who is your one who leads the group? Seems like a right Howya.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭safeasparagus

Who is your one who leads the group? Seems like a right Howya.

Mental video altogether, by all means present any evidence to the Gardai but that today as has been said went awry very quickly.

Your one Louise seems to have a lot of anger inside anyway with the way she goes on .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its no different to IRA punishment beatings and kangaroo courts. Frankly its sedition.

Its dangerous and so irresponsible, the surest way in hell that anyone who actually might be a dangerous pedophile will either never get to trial or have the case thrown out.

Absolute fools the whole lot of them. And they probably would be the first to complain about fair process if they were to be brought up on charges related to their own activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

She is a former leader of an anti water charges protest group. It is likely that there are files already on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Pedo hunters?......We’ll at least their hunting something, I machine the hunt for employment ended many years ago

She's live now.

She got a box in the head.

Five security with her protecting the fella.

She says it sounds worse than it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I saw a different angle, its floating around on social media. It literally is as bad as it sounds. She is in damage limitation mode now

Advertisement