Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭AlanG

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0716/1063464-vigilante-group-high-court/

I think this story shows the type of people most of these "Hunters" are, mostly they type that would have been carrying out lynchings in the US south 60 years ago.

An Intellectually Disabled ward of court targeted by them as they pretend to be an adult woman. Then they tell him they are a girl of 13, he breaks off contact. They pursue him online and re-establish contact. He agrees to meet the 13 year old for hot chocolate and then they attack him in a live broadcast which is shared thousands of times.

Abusing the Intellectually disabled like this is on a par with child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Vigelante groups are dangerous as they do choose the wrong target occasionally, but this highlights our need for increased ounishment for paedos.

Do i welcome them getting seriously injured or death - yes, by a self appointed mob of yobs - no

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

AlanG wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0716/1063464-vigilante-group-high-court/

I think this story shows the type of people most of these "Hunters" are, mostly they type that would have been carrying out lynchings in the US south 60 years ago.

An Intellectually Disabled ward of court targeted by them as they pretend to be an adult woman. Then they tell him they are a girl of 13, he breaks off contact. They pursue him online and re-establish contact. He agrees to meet the 13 year old for hot chocolate and then they attack him in a live broadcast which is shared thousands of times.

Abusing the Intellectually disabled like this is on a par with child abuse.
    Grade A scumbags who think they have found a way to make virtue from their scumbaggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Calhoun wrote: »
    At least people with special needs aren't power tripping bastards who are basically preying on very vulnerable individuals. Just making it easier for the real abusers because 1. they wont be so ****ing stupid because they can see exactly how these guys operate and 2. these numpties will lul the stupid into a false sense of security.

If this was about justice it would be done with out all the pomp on facebook, but its more about stroking ego than anything else. I find generally with groups like this they themselves are dirty and we will know in a few years just what they have been up to.

You must think Kieran Creaven is a vunerable individual who was preyed on so seeing as his disgusting activity was outed live on FB.

By catching him they stopped a paedo before he could hurt a real child, and had to endure reading his filthy messages and pics to gather the proof of what he really was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Any link so we have a bit of backround to this case.

TBH if he was a nonce he isn't much of a loss, I feel sorry for the innocent driver though.

And if he's not a nonce, it's just collateral damage?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Is it interesting how you never hear about pedos in Ireland the same way you would in the States...

Perhaps it's the data protection laws here. In America, a full registry of sex offenders is available to anyone with the internet, not the same here.

Also, would I be wrong in saying that Irish teens along with the structure of Irish society means it's very hard for someone to solicit sex with a 13yr old here and get away with it unlike America? I don't think a show like "To Catch A Predator" could ever work here. too small in Ireland to hide.

And if he's not a nonce, it's just collateral damage?

Stupid statement, nobody said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You must think Kieran Creaven is a vunerable individual who was preyed on so seeing as his disgusting activity was outed live on FB.

By catching him they stopped a paedo before he could hurt a real child, and had to endure reading his filthy messages and pics to gather the proof of what he really was.

That individual was a highly unusual person to be caught by the vigilantes - being well educated, middle class and in a big job etc

Most of the suspects caught by them seem to be poor, below average intelligence, living on benefits or doing menial jobs, sometimes with learning difficulties. One explanation for this is that only the most stupid, isolated members of society would get talking to a bunch of adult vigilantes online and not smell a rat.

Strazdas wrote: »
    That individual was a highly unusual person to be caught by the vigilantes - being well educated, middle class and in a big job etc

Most of the suspects caught by them seem to be poor, below average intelligence, living on benefits or doing menial jobs, sometimes with learning difficulties. One explanation for this is that only the most stupid, isolated members of society would get talking to a bunch of adult vigilantes online and not smell a rat.

And the cops had no idea what he was up to, it was thanks to the people who certain posters are calling thugs that he was caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And the cops had no idea what he was up to, it was thanks to the people who certain posters are calling thugs that he was caught.

It's strange how these guys never seem to get prosecuted for any other offence other than being caught up in a vigilante sting. If they were abusing multiple real children, wouldn't there be tons of evidence on their phone and on their social media accounts? In fact, you'd nearly expect the cops to abandon the vigilante sting case and prosecute them for the real life abuse cases, which would carry a far heavier prison sentence.

• Advertisement

It's strange how these guys never seem to get prosecuted for any other offence other than being caught up in a vigilante sting. If they were abusing multiple real children, wouldn't there be tons of evidence on their phone and on their social media accounts? In fact, you'd nearly expect the cops to abandon the vigilante sting case and prosecute them for the real life abuse cases, which would carry a far heavier prison sentence.

They think they are chatting to a minor, Creaven had a hotel booked and was intending to meet the person he was messaging who he thought ws a child.

Isn't it a good thing there are no real victims, I think so anyway,

Posters here call them scum but the likes of Creaven is the real scum not the men and women who catch the nonces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Yea, confirmation bias. The reality is, there's pedophilia among the upper echelons of society. David Icke predicted years before the Saville revelations that he was up to something and that MI5 was covering up other pedophile politicans. It's the same in the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

the men and women who catch the nonces.
    Ah you mean the legally appointed police force.

Funny how these alleged nonces are never charged given the weight of "evidence" these guys seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Don't put words in my mouth now, you don't seem to like it yourself

It's amazing though how Creaven never did anything over here surely if he was a big bad man there would be a good few skeletons in his closet.

What I really have a problem with is self appointed kangeroo courts, we have see with the likes of the Maria Cahill case how those type of groups really work. We can clearly see with these groups they get off on playing the hero, to what lengths will they go to maintain it.

Ah you mean the legally appointed police force.

Funny how these alleged nonces are never charged given the weight of "evidence" these guys seem to have.

Nothing alleged about Creaven, he was sending pics of his cock to someone he thought was a child, went across to the UK to meet her and I doubt it was to have a chat about the weather.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Don't put words in my mouth now, you don't seem to like it yourself

It's amazing though how Creaven never did anything over here surely if he was a big bad man there would be a good few skeletons in his closet.

What I really have a problem with is self appointed kangeroo courts, we have see with the likes of the Maria Cahill case how those type of groups really work. We can clearly see with these groups they get off on playing the hero, to what lengths will they go to maintain it.

Any videos I've seen they have evidence before confronting the person, the police/Gardai are called and they then deal with it.

Nothing wrong with that in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

But they don't deal with it. The simply take the person to a place of safety and release them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the police are the only ones who deserve any credit.
    as far as i'm concerned it is ultimately they who caught him and got the evidence to send him to prison.
    They think they are chatting to a minor, Creaven had a hotel booked and was intending to meet the person he was messaging who he thought ws a child.

Isn't it a good thing there are no real victims, I think so anyway,

Posters here call them scum but the likes of Creaven is the real scum not the men and women who catch the nonces.

they are all scum. lock the whole lot of them up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the police are the only ones who deserve any credit.
    as far as i'm concerned it is ultimately they who caught him and got the evidence to send him to prison.

they are all scum. lock the whole lot of them up.

Yeah lock them up for catching paedos, what are you smoking this evening?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

For those thinking they're heroes, I refer back to the chap with SN & the FIVE people who conducted the sting; 2 Females & 3 Males.

The Men're the security team; doubt the PSA'd approve or ever licence for such an event.

What nobody seems to address is who do you sue for being wrongfully outed/detained by these thugs?

If they Gda. make a wrongful arrest you can sue the State as was evidenced by a case in Carlow where defendant was awarded 1.1 Million recently.

But, when your reputation's shot to bits & these travelling hoodlums've fecked off, how do you get compensation for being wrongly accused?

Because it does happen; firstly there was the baying mob in Monasterevin Co. Kildare; secondly there was another unofficial group (they ALL are...) who stung someone with links to Artane & Courtown; there was a ham-fisted apology at the time but that's not good enough!

On another note I'd love to know what happened next to the individual; did they lose their job/home/friends etc.; their whole world collapses before them live on air; it's macabre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Any videos I've seen they have evidence before confronting the person, the police/Gardai are called and they then deal with it.

What about the times they have gone to the wrong houses or particularly in some of the Dublin videos, they have gone to family hones and caused problems for others living there.

Not like power corrupts or anything . I just pray you don't run a foul of vigilante justice yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ELM327 wrote:
    Don't care, if they are pedos they deserve what they get. Death is too easy for them.

If.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A thick pile of Batman wannabe's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Why can't the 'hunters' amass the evidence including meeting time and place and hand it over to the police?

Why the need to do the Facebook Live thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Why can't the 'hunters' amass the evidence including meeting time and place and hand it over to the police?

Why the need to do the Facebook Live thing?

That's the bit that puzzles me.
    These guys could record a video. Store it somewhere on several devices.
    Then they could forward it to the police. If they weren't happy with the responce from the police they could share it.
    Lots of these guys gets a buzz off the likes/loves tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A bunch of f*cking sad losers trying to find people even worse than they are, that's all it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stupid statement, nobody said that.

You had no consideration for the chance the person wasnt a nonce. Your omission infers it. You couldn't care less.

The gardai do not get involved with them here. They've actively done a campaign to state it's not welcome and that they are liable to be charged with assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA and merged with similar thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

I hadn't a whole lot of problems with the group in general until I watched one of their videos on You Tube where they bascially invite themselves into this poor womans house, not under false pretense mind you but somwhat misleading the mother having no idea it was going to be live streamed to thousands of people on Facebook.

Another moment you see she has the camera pointed at the floor through most of the video for the mothers benift and supposedly to avoid embarrassment for the family but once the mother leaves the room for all of a moment shes pointing the camera in this guys face and you can clearly hear someone whispering in the background to let them know when the mother arrives back.

Her whole attitude changes once the police arrives and she's kindly asked to leave she then begins to kick off causeing a big scence inside and outside the house pacing up and down the estate on a complete powertrip if ever I saw and very little concern for this guys family members who by all accounts are completely innocent . I dont want to post the video here buts its available on YT and a quick search Ballyfermot hunter sting, its about an hour long.

xx

Advertisement