Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Sterling

Options
  • 06-02-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Hi I need to buy a large amt of Sterling and send it to an account in N.I, appreciate if anyone can advise where to get the best rate on this type of transaction. Rang my bank and they said I could only get the branch rate.. Would be 10K+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Firblog wrote: »
    Hi I need to buy a large amt of Sterling and send it to an account in N.I, appreciate if anyone can advise where to get the best rate on this type of transaction. Rang my bank and they said I could only get the branch rate.. Would be 10K+

Used Caxton FX recently. Easy to use and better than the bank rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

I recommend Transfermate. There are quite a few currency traders such as Currencyfair, Currencydirect, TorFX. I found Transfermate one of the easiest to set up and their Customer service is good. Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Sono

Just get a revolut card and transfer that way, get the live rate and no fees. It’s a no brainer.

Sono wrote: »
    Just get a revolut card and transfer that way, get the live rate and no fees. It’s a no brainer.

That may be a longer term solution but it might take some time to arrange. I get the impression the OP's requirement is imminent ..... But good advice!

Just do a little bit of due diligence around Revolut and other providers such as N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

We pay our suppliers using Transfermate, once set up its very easy to use and most payments go through within 24 hours. No fees on transactions over €1000.00. Compared to what we used to endure using banks years ago it is brilliant.
    Was in a meeting with my bank (major Irish bank) recently and they asked my what was "Transfermate", I explained and they responded "Is that something like Paypal?" They have no idea what is happening in the real world!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Glenalla wrote: »
    We pay our suppliers using Transfermate, once set up its very easy to use and most payments go through within 24 hours. No fees on transactions over €1000.00. Compared to what we used to endure using banks years ago it is brilliant.
    Was in a meeting with my bank (major Irish bank) recently and they asked my what was "Transfermate", I explained and they responded "Is that something like Paypal?" They have no idea what is happening in the real world!!

Wtf! Cant believe someone in a bank hasn't heard of these transfer companies it's not like they are small niche companies any more?! Most of the people I know would be well aware of what they do even if they haven't used them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I suggest https://www.currencyfair.com/ or similar I use it for all my payments non Euro payments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

I always found transfermate great for rates.

I'd imagine they'd be far better than n26 etc. They work off the standard MasterCard rates don't they?

Jonny303 wrote: »
    I always found transfermate great for rates.

I'd imagine they'd be far better than n26 etc. They work off the standard MasterCard rates don't they?

Their advertising seems to suggest they work off mid market rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use revolut but those reviews make me want to switch to N26!

jimmii wrote: »

Just to be clear, I have no interests in N26 ........... But I certainly will be opening an account. Have been an AIB customer for 36 years, by and large happy with the services, but it looks like these new banking options are faster and easier to use.

As an aside, the banks in the Netherlands will be introducing new services later this year whereby transfers from one bank to another will be done in 5 seconds - instant pay ....... It may actually do away with debit card payments and payment machines ........

We live in interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

jimmii wrote: »

I have both. N26 is a proper current account with a real MasterCard debit card. Can be used with Google Pay etc.

Revolut is a pre-paid debit card. There are subtle differences and the Visa one they issue for standard accounts can't be used with Google Pay yet.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Transfermate.com is who I use for these transactions, highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Just used Transfermate today, I have to say they couldn't have been more helpful. On the downside Sterling had strengthened a fair bit since i first posted on here, so cost me more than I thought it would.

Just used Transfermate today, I have to say they couldn't have been more helpful. On the downside Sterling had strengthened a fair bit since i first posted on here, so cost me more than I thought it would.

It would have cost you a great deal more if you had to do it through your bank.

Advertisement