Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exchanged Australian driving licence for UK, now exchange for Irish

Options
  • 06-02-2019 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I moved to London from Australia many years ago and exchanged my Aus license for a UK one. I'm Irish and living back in Ireland now. I was thinking I better convert my license before Brexit but I was wondering if my license is considered EU or Recognised State issued? It's physically an EU license but I'm unsure as to how the NDLS will handle it. Has anyone ever exchanged an EU license originating in a non-EU but Recognised State? Could you give me some advice and what to expect?

Also if it's a EU license it seems I can continue to drive on it whereas if it's considered a Recognised State, I think I will have to exchange it within a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bmr1984

Does anyone know if the same rules apply to a UK license that was originally converted from an Australian one? Can you continue to drive on it as long as it's valid? Or do the Recognised State rules apply where you have to exchange after a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

"If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit#driving-licence-exchange-for-uk-nationals-living-in-the-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bmr1984 wrote: »
    I moved to London from Australia many years ago and exchanged my Aus license for a UK one. I'm Irish and living back in Ireland now. I was thinking I better convert my license before Brexit but I was wondering if my license is considered EU or Recognised State issued? It's physically an EU license but I'm unsure as to how the NDLS will handle it. Has anyone ever exchanged an EU license originating in a non-EU but Recognised State? Could you give me some advice and what to expect?

Also if it's a EU license it seems I can continue to drive on it whereas if it's considered a Recognised State, I think I will have to exchange it within a year.

Shouldn't be a problem to swap it if it's a full UK/ European licence,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Markcheese wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a problem to swap it if it's a full UK/ European licence,

Provided it was exchanged from a country/territory with which Ireland has an exchange agreement - ok for all australian states/territories. Wouldn’t be ok for, say, a German licence holder who acquired it by swapping a New York State licence or a Portuguese licence holder who got it by swapping a Brazilian one. That’s the rule although the extent to which it is enforced is unclear to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be aware that any categories that you may have above A and B may disappear when converted over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

And you may need a PSC which requires a face to face appointment and my date is middle of march so if you leave it late you may miss the deadline.

Will I be required to submit any Australian documentation? I'm pretty sure I surrendered all that to the DVLA when I applied for the British license. Has anyone here ever gone through this process before? Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In none of the countries you have mentioned is it spelled "license" ;)

If you now hold a UK licence then it won't matter that you earlier held a Australian licence.
    Just go in with your UK licence to NDLS and go through normal process.

biko wrote: »
    In none of the countries you have mentioned is it spelled "license" ;)

If you now hold a UK licence then it won't matter that you earlier held a Australian licence.
    Just go in with your UK licence to NDLS and go through normal process.

Apologies @Biko. Licence. Duly noted :)

I rang the NDLS and the lady on the phone sounded unsure but said I might need a Letter of Entitlement from Australia. I don't even have the licence number anymore or any of my Australian details. It's well over a decade since I lived there. Should I just make an appointment and see what the clerk says when I try to exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think so yeah, they will just see your UK licence and probably be happy with that.
    Don't bring the Oz licence into it unless they ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bmr1984 wrote: »
    I rang the NDLS and the lady on the phone sounded unsure but said I might need a Letter of Entitlement from Australia. I don't even have the licence number anymore or any of my Australian details. It's well over a decade since I lived there. Should I just make an appointment and see what the clerk says when I try to exchange?

As biko said above check do need a Public Services Card, to get your licence, no problem if you've already got one obviously... 😀

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Markcheese wrote: »
    As biko said above check do need a Public Services Card, to get your licence, no problem if you've already got one obviously... 😀

You don't need a PSC card anymore : hasn't that fallen foul of GDPR by the AG?

You def don't need one for a Theory Test or Permit : can't see licence being different. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CarAudio

I don't get it, why don't you follow the official process from here. Forget about mentionning your aussie license. It is long gone you have a UK license now.

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#to-apply-to-exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence-issued-by-a-member-state-of-the-european-union-european-economic-area

CarAudio wrote: »
    I don't get it, why don't you follow the official process from here. Forget about mentionning your aussie license. It is long gone you have a UK license now.

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#to-apply-to-exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence-issued-by-a-member-state-of-the-european-union-european-economic-area

Thanks @CarAudio. There's a section in the D401 where they ask if the licence you're exchanging was exchanged before and you can also see AUS on the back of my UK licence. I was only inquiring here in case anyone had been through it before and had some trouble with not being able to produce the original Non-EU docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Few are aware that the principles of mutual recognition of EU licences does not automatically apply to EU licences issued under a reciprocal agreement.

It is possible the NDLS will seek original Australian documentation, or you can be lucky and they will just base it on the UK issued licence.

Advertisement