Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy salads

Options
  • 06-02-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I am going to start taking my own salads for lunch to work.

Im a bit of a novice regarding salads, I was never a good person to consume vegetables.

Anyone got any good ideas, something a bit more tasty than ham and lettuce.?

Good dressings even ?

I will be preparing fresh the evening before and then stored in a reasonably cool place by day under lunch time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Roast a load of sweet potato wedges and use a few in each salad, they are a delicious addition. I tend to mix up my leaves too, so have spinach some days or cos lettuce on others. I will fry a chicken breast in seasoning (cajun or garlic) and slice that, or use tuna. I change up my cheese too, I love Wensleydale with cranberries, feta or Lidl do mini mozzarella balls. You could dice up a few days worth of spring onion, peppers etc. them add them to your salad every day while mixing up the leaves/ protein/ dressings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got a sort of "salad base", which is tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce (usually either gem lettuce or butterhead), to which I would add items for variety.

So, for example, one of my favourite combinations is the base salad plus grated carrots, sweetcorn and a hard-boiled egg cut into wedges.
    Another would be a Greek variety, where I'd add feta, some nice olives and diced red bell pepper.
    Yet another would be with cubes of mature cheddar and steamed broccoli.
    Or go Mexican with some kidney beans, sweetcorn, grated cheese and jalapenos.

I'm rather boring when it comes to dressings - I've a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of balsamic vinegar at work, so at lunch time, my salads just get drizzled with both.

I do sometimes go for what I'd call a "warm" salad. That would be without the salad base, of course.
    One of them might be steamed asparagus, steamed green beans and/or steamed broccoli with some grilled halloumi. I'd dress that with some lemon juice and olive oil.
    Or a roasted veg salad - any veg you like, mixed through with some spices and a bit of oil, baked in the oven, then mixed with a cup of cooked quinoa, or with couscous. Again, dressed with lemon juice.

Advertisement