Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung S10, S10 Plus, S10 E, S10 5G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Inquitus wrote: »
    Why did you bother? It came with a screen protector, factory installed, that works perfectly with the fingerprint sensor. Granted its probably not as versatile as the top end ones you can buy.

TBH....the factory preinstalled ones are grand and all, but already showing some wear along the edge, plus my own one was slightly offset (not bad or anything, just marginally).
    The whole point of the Whitestone one was that it's sold as being reader compatible, and being used to them on previous phones, I know how good they are in comparison to other protectors.
    To be fair, it looks next to perfect on it, as installation went pretty smooth, and is of a far better fit than what was on it before. Screen looks fine, smooth operation etc, but after a week, there's little sign of an improvement with the sensor's functionality.
    Requires far more pressure to get a reading, which is quite telling because even in a lot of the videos on YouTube where people are saying how great it is, you can clearly see they're almost digging into the phone screen. :pac: It's almost as if they're 'incentived' to be complimentary.
    It should require no more than the feather touch, especially with a new set of scans etc, but it's just far too flaky in comparison in my particular case.
    Reading online, on the face of it, half of users appear to have no problem, telling the other half they need to to moisturize their fingers. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

The review of the Galaxy Bud wireless earphone on What HiFi was pretty poor unfortunately....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

banjobongo wrote: »
    The review of the Galaxy Bud wireless earphone on What HiFi was pretty poor unfortunately....

Most reviews are better, and they are free, plus I am not some wanker audiophile, so I am sure they'll do just fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've ordered an S10+ so I'm now looking for recommendations for a cover. I've been using a Spigen Neo Hybrid on my S7 edge since 2016 and I like it. It's only downfall was because I have a Brodit phone cradle and had to take the phone out of the cover to use the cradle, eventually some weak points and cracks would appear on the surround. That is the style I like though as it is slim but still offers decent protection. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

markc1184 wrote: »
    I've ordered an S10+ so I'm now looking for recommendations for a cover. I've been using a Spigen Neo Hybrid on my S7 edge since 2016 and I like it. It's only downfall was because I have a Brodit phone cradle and had to take the phone out of the cover to use the cradle, eventually some weak points and cracks would appear on the surround. That is the style I like though as it is slim but still offers decent protection. Any recommendations?

I picked up this one:https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-silicone-cover-case-black-70667

Use it daily, it’s slim and has already saved the phone on a couple of occasions.

Have this one for more rough activities like hiking etc: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJTVF2L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a little stand on the back of it so handy for watching movies etc if traveling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭kilsmum

Got an email this morning to say my trade in has been accepted.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What value did you get for it from Samsung?

400 Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Has anyone went from a s9+ to s10+??

Was it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Was it worth it?

Was it worth it?

I went from S8+ to S10+ but no real difference for me, I just needed a new phone.

The in-screen fingerprint scanner is nice and accurate.
    You can remove the navigation buttons altogether and use swipes from the bottom which give you more screen real estate
    The punch hole camera is pointless. It makes the notification bar larger and the second camera is a gimmick, it literally gives you a longer reach of around 6 inches for a selfie so therefore wastes screen space. I'd have been happier with a notch like the P30 Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I went from an S9+ to an S10+. Having had the phone for nearly a week, I don't currently feel it as being massively worth it. The camera is a lot better, that's for sure, but I still haven't adjusted to the hole punch, I don't find the in-screen fingerprint scanner to be anywhere near as good as the back, nor as quick, and from a battery/performance perspective it's fairly similar.

The new colours are great, and the screen is fantastic, but I'm not sure it was the wisest money I ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I went from an S8 to the 10+ and it's definitely much better for me. A lot faster, better battery, better screen, better camera.

I don't mind the hole punch, I find it much less intrusive than the notch because it's stuck away in the corner. I've stopped even noticing it now really.

I prefer the fingerprint scanner to the S8 but only because it was in such a terrible position on the S8. I imagine people on the S9 who had the scanner in the middle on the back would prefer that because the in display is definitely slower and less accurate.

Problem is that phones these days aren't nearly as much an upgrade as your phone from 1 or 2 years ago as they used to be. Those phones will still be fast and most changes are incremental really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

SuprSi wrote: »
    I went from an S9+ to an S10+. Having had the phone for nearly a week, I don't currently feel it as being massively worth it. The camera is a lot better, that's for sure, but I still haven't adjusted to the hole punch, I don't find the in-screen fingerprint scanner to be anywhere near as good as the back, nor as quick, and from a battery/performance perspective it's fairly similar.

The new colours are great, and the screen is fantastic, but I'm not sure it was the wisest money I ever spent!

Ya I think I'm happy with what I've got! There's just always the temptation when new model comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

You may have already done this but can I suggest to re calibrate your fingerprint. I had a few issues early doors but done it again and decided to put the phone down and pick it back up during calibration so as to not have the same grip and to "try" not to accurately land my finger during calibration.

I'd say I get 1 fail in 20

• Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Sabrebo

Have an S6, should I go for the S8, S9 or S10? What's the best value for money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Sabrebo wrote: »

Looking for an answer for this too, still undecided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sabrebo wrote: »
    Redzer7 wrote: »
    Looking for an answer for this too, still undecided.

The S9 is probably the best upgrade, if you’re looking for value for money. But the S8 is a decent phone too, albeit with poor placement for the fingerprint reader.

Amazon.de or amazon.it will probably have the best deals on the S9 if you want a straight purchase.

Agreed, I'd go for the S9+. Great phone, and you'll get some excellent deals on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Cheers for that, think my mind is made up now! Im also looking to get a charging case for it, what would you's recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Cheers for that, think my mind is made up now! Im also looking to get a charging case for it, what would you's recommend?

I'd recommend the s9 thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kilsmum wrote: »
    400 Euro
    Big difference from the $550/€485 that Samsung US offer.

Bought my S9+ from the US site and if I had been over there around launch I would have traded it in based on what they were offering and what I paid, would have only been 'down' $130 on what I paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've an s8, I hated the finger print scanner at the back but I've got a spigen case and your finger falls right on it for instant unlock so I'm used to it now. Is the on screen scanner slightly slow?
    I watched a review and a guy reckoned if you program the same finger in twice as 2 separate fingers, it's much faster. Could be worth a try
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    What’s the craic with the phones that are on sale on adverts?

Are they risky? I mean if they are bought on contract originally and then someone stops paying their bill and get black listed.

I would imagine if someone had 1 and it was locked to a network it's just an upgrade they didn't want. But then someone said they're all unlocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The front fingerprint scanner is a totally turning me off the S10.

When I reach for my s9 in my pocket. My finger naturally goes to the back and onto the scanner(helped by my case too) and is unlocked before I even get the phone up to my face.

The scanner at the front seems stupid and even seems slower to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

MarkY91 wrote: »

When I reach for my s9 in my pocket. My finger naturally goes to the back and onto the scanner(helped by my case too) and is unlocked before I even get the phone up to my face.

You could use face unlock as well to speed things up.

MarkY91 wrote: »

I'd imagine you'd get used to the position. I hated the back position of the s8. Now I like it. I'd take either position as long as its instant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Muscle memory.
    You'll have to retrain it :)

Supposedly the side fingerprint reader on the S10E is faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Software update sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Software update sent out

1/2 gig! What's in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think the front scanner is perfect.After a few days it becomes second nature .

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Anyone having any issues with the back of the phone vibrating quite a lot when playing anything through the speakers? Its almost the entire bottom half of the back thats thumping. Any volume over 50% and its very forceful. Maybe this is normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Deleted and re-registered my fingerprint after the last update and it's absolutely flawless now.

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    Deleted and re-registered my fingerprint after the last update and it's absolutely flawless now.

Are you using just one finger? I saw a video online of a guy using both thumbs.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

kilsmum wrote:
    Are you using just one finger? I saw a video online of a guy using both thumbs.

Just the right thumb

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    Just the right thumb

Thanks l'm going to delete my thumb and try it again. It's hit and miss at the moment for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's everyone's opinions on the battery life on the s10 ??

Have all my apps expect Spotify and Soundcloud set too sleep when not in use and get about 8 hours.

Officially getting charged for the phone next week and have too say very happy with it. Still getting used too the camera

The battery life for me is the same as with the S9 Plus, usually around 42 hours. But, and this is a big thing, the new Bixby routines are excellent. I have one running recently whereby it disables my WiFi, mobile data, Bluetooth and Always On Screen while I'm sleeping, meaning the phone takes hardly any charge overnight.

I've only just enabled this and it only happens when the phone isn't charging so I don't yet know what the difference will be, but it's a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭champchamp

I followed the battery optimisation guide here and noticed a huge improvement.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s10-plus/how-to/galaxy-s10-battery-optimisation-guide-t3911988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

champchamp wrote: »
    I followed the battery optimisation guide here and noticed a huge improvement.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/s10-plus/how-to/galaxy-s10-battery-optimisation-guide-t3911988

Followed those too and getting great results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

My S10 keeps on hanging and then switching itself off. Am with 3, think there was an update friday night. Very annoying, anyone else getting this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Anyone able to recommend a decent music player for the S10+, instead of the stock Google Play App? Plenty in the Google Play Store, but which are the decent ones?

I've used Poweramp for ages, it's one of my favourite apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Media Monkey is great

I've had poweramp since the htc desire, great app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Poweramp and media monkey are terrible.

Would suggest Shuttle.

The overnight Bixby routine means I only lose around 3% of battery when I'm sleeping - I'm quite impressed with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone having trouble with music apps like TuneIn where if you let the screen go dark it just stops after a few seconds? Seems to be happening to every listening app apart from Google Play Music for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Cina wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with music apps like TuneIn where if you let the screen go dark it just stops after a few seconds? Seems to be happening to every listening app apart from Google Play Music for me.

Have a look at your battery settings - exclude TuneIn - I had an issue with Spotify, and when I upgraded to Pie, this feature was a tad too aggressive. Once I excluded Spotify, I had no more issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Got an S10 at the weekend, upgrade from S8. I dunno am I after getting a dud unit or what but I'm seriously underwhelmed by it - just curious if anyone else noticed any/all of these :

Camera : Shockingly bad especially indoors and not in very low light either. Really notice it with people, it's not immediately noticable but zoom in any bit at all and it's very grainy and kind of artifical looking, reminds me of camera phones from about 7 years ago. The s8 was miles better.

Battery : I typically turn off everything - gps, bluetooth etc and disable apps. Basically it's set the same as I had the s8 which I used to get close on 2 days out of, this is barely making it to 24 hours.

Screen : Has a tint to it when it's tilted, very noticable on say white web pages - dead on straight it looks ok, tilt the top of the phone back and the whole screen has a kind of blue tint, tilt the top of the phone forward and it tints red. Some forums suggesting it's because of the plastic screen protector that came with it but I have my doubts.

Finally the fingerprint scanner - I've registered/cleared a few times and it's still only picking it up maybe 1 in 5 attemts.

I've only seen good things about the s10 generally online so maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad unit, only a couple days old so I guess warranty would sort but somehow suspect it's not going to be as simple as going to a shop, handing in the old and getting a new one. Plus no point if the replacement is gonna be the same.

So yeah in short - not impressed, anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Got an S10 at the weekend, upgrade from S8. I dunno am I after getting a dud unit or what but I'm seriously underwhelmed by it - just curious if anyone else noticed any/all of these :

Camera : Shockingly bad especially indoors and not in very low light either. Really notice it with people, it's not immediately noticable but zoom in any bit at all and it's very grainy and kind of artifical looking, reminds me of camera phones from about 7 years ago. The s8 was miles better.

Battery : I typically turn off everything - gps, bluetooth etc and disable apps. Basically it's set the same as I had the s8 which I used to get close on 2 days out of, this is barely making it to 24 hours.

Screen : Has a tint to it when it's tilted, very noticable on say white web pages - dead on straight it looks ok, tilt the top of the phone back and the whole screen has a kind of blue tint, tilt the top of the phone forward and it tints red. Some forums suggesting it's because of the plastic screen protector that came with it but I have my doubts.

Finally the fingerprint scanner - I've registered/cleared a few times and it's still only picking it up maybe 1 in 5 attemts.

I've only seen good things about the s10 generally online so maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad unit, only a couple days old so I guess warranty would sort but somehow suspect it's not going to be as simple as going to a shop, handing in the old and getting a new one. Plus no point if the replacement is gonna be the same.

So yeah in short - not impressed, anyone else the same?

I think your looking for problems lol

I have had an s6, 7,8 and now 10. The camera is amazing and that comes from someone who does photography with pro grade Canon cameras. I've taken some stunning photos with it.

Battery is more or less on pair with my s8 plus. Maybe a little better.

The sensor is ****e, I'll give you that. It's very hit and miss for me. I just use face unlock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement