Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Stag

Options
  • 06-02-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭

Looking at organising a Stag in Cork for the last weekend in March. Have a couple of options for accomodation lined up so thats grand. All arriving down after lunch so was looking for suggestions to get a decent feed and then a good pub to watch the Leinster/Ulster match at 5:45? There'll be around 22-27 of us
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Looking at organising a Stag in Cork for the last weekend in March. Have a couple of options for accomodation lined up so thats grand. All arriving down after lunch so was looking for suggestions to get a decent feed and then a good pub to watch the Leinster/Ulster match at 5:45? There'll be around 22-27 of us
    Cheers!

Rob roy off Oliver plunkett st is the best rugby pub in cork. Might squeeze in 22-27

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP, you should consider going to Kinsale. It’s a great town for a piss-up, many pubs,one or two clubs and plenty spots for good grub and ye would probably have better chance of all getting into places, whereas in the city with a group that big, a lot of ye could easily get stopped.

A few hostels in Kinsale too so ye could probably get cheap accommodation if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Bouncers are d**ks in Cork. Be ready to split into smaller groups from 8pm or get stopped everywhere.

You shouldn’t have any trouble finding space in the pub for a Leinster match, anywhere with a tv not showing soccer. I’d consider going to one of the bigger late night pubs that serves food though as ye can stay then for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Woolshed or Soho should show the match and be able for a big crowd. Woolshed will definitely have it, they won't necessarily be a huge crowd watching that game in the City so don't be suprised if a good few bars are not showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd second going elsewhere due to the bouncers.
    You'll find that in the afternoon when the pubs are quiet ye will walk into any pub. Come 8/9ish when their a little busier ye will get stopped. One fella will be too drunk, another fellas shirt might be the wrong colour for the bouncers taste, my favourite is the plain and simple "not tonight lads" no reason needed.
    I got stopped one night in a group or 6 for being too drunk even tho I was driving and hadn't even had 1 drink. No point in arguing either.
    Very small chance of 10 fellas getting into the same pub or club after 10, let alone 20+ lads getting in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

To be fair that happens in a lot of cities - lots of places don't like stag parties.

The Woolshed could be a good place for the match. Has good food too. Depending what else is on, it shouldn't be too crowded.

If you were looking for a nightclub I'd head to Voodoo Rooms early, in twos and threes, pretty much as soon as it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Id also avoid Cork city nightlife with a crowd that size. The bouncers are the worst iv seen in any city in Ireland. You'd get less interrogation at the US Customs and Border Preclearance in Dublin/Shannon airport than you would from a cork bouncer:rolleyes:

(im from Cork btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I don't think it's going to be THAT bad, it's a quarter final weekend in the rugby with 3 Irish teams still in the running, it'll probably be heaving anyway. Their bigger concern might be just how full places are, not the bouncers.

If the weather's good, and you can get in early, the Courtyard is a good call. Large outdoor area, they serve food (indoors and out) and have a big screen in the courtyard. Lots of the small "rugby" pubs are fairly small, so you might struggle with a large group. (Rob Roy; Thomond's slightly bigger and does food, you might be able to eat outdoors then go in for the game).

The bigger places - Old Oak, Soho, Reardans all might be worth trying.

who_me wrote: »

The bigger places - Old Oak, Soho, Reardans all might be worth trying.

I would happily put down a bet that a group of 20+ lads on a stag will not all get into Soho or Reardens.

The worst thing about a group that size with a nightclub is even if ye go to the door in groups of 4/5 some lads alread will have paid by time someone else gets stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cork bouncers have always, even going back to the 80s, been absolute dicks hung up on dress styles.

On the other hand if I'm in a bar, I hate large groups of same gender people. They are always extremely loud. I've no idea why nightclubs have such an aversion to groups, though, considering the volume of music there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...if I'm in a bar, I hate large groups of same gender people. They are always extremely loud. I've no idea why nightclubs have such an aversion to groups, though.

For the same reason you dislike them in the bar. They're not just loud, they're obnoxious in every sense. Loud, more likely to goad other customers and cause hassle. Messy bravado.
    Bouncers aren't always just being dicks for the laugh, they're at work and some of the choices they make will make their night much easier or much much harder. If it's a good club centred around music instead of last-call shot-drinking or ever-so-politely fingering some young wan in the corner, a large group is more likely to be made up of people who couldn't give a toss about the music so they shouldn't be allowed in.

.red. wrote: »
    I would happily put down a bet that a group of 20+ lads on a stag will not all get into Soho or Reardens.

The worst thing about a group that size with a nightclub is even if ye go to the door in groups of 4/5 some lads alread will have paid by time someone else gets stopped.

On a big rugby weekend? The place would be hopping anyway, if they just split into 2-3 groups they wouldn't even be noticed.

I'd definitely agree with you on the club thing - but this is lunch and early-evening match & pints, so unlikely to be any issue with paying at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Best of luck with the bouncers...

I’ve never ever had trouble with a bouncer anywhere in Ireland except cork, multiple times...and sober.

I’d never go out in cork again because of it.

grindle wrote: »
    For the same reason you dislike them in the bar. They're not just loud, they're obnoxious in every sense. Loud, more likely to goad other customers and cause hassle. Messy bravado.
    Bouncers aren't always just being dicks for the laugh, they're at work and some of the choices they make will make their night much easier or much much harder. If it's a good club centred around music instead of last-call shot-drinking or ever-so-politely fingering some young wan in the corner, a large group is more likely to be made up of people who couldn't give a toss about the music so they shouldn't be allowed in.

Speaking personally, I've had lots more trouble with bouncers than I've ever had with stags. (And I've never been in a fight. Don't wind up others - normally don't even talk with others outside my own group. Never steal drinks etc..)

It's a crappy job, and I don't envy them one bit. I'm sure there will be some night when I'll be happy to have them around! But there are some [insert expletive of choice] doing it too, ruining some peoples nights on a whim then clearly enjoying watching them get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Cork bouncers have always, even going back to the 80s, been absolute dicks hung up on dress styles.

On the other hand if I'm in a bar, I hate large groups of same gender people. They are always extremely loud. I've no idea why nightclubs have such an aversion to groups, though, considering the volume of music there.

Is it really that bad? I dress like a mad punk with full mohawk style hair all day, everyday and never once had an issue getting into any club in Cork and I'd go out an awful lot. Even to places where I'd expect not to be let in, never had any issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it really that bad? I dress like a mad punk with full mohawk style hair all day, everyday and never once had an issue getting into any club in Cork and I'd go out an awful lot. Even to places where I'd expect not to be let in, never had any issues at all.

Well, it's quite a while since I've tried to get into a night club or the kind of bar with bouncers who police clothing. Perhaps things have changed.
    I've never worn tracksuits or football tops but I remember being stopped for wearing runners, not having a collar and for wearing boots (black leather laced boots). Really stupid, petty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

physioman wrote: »
    Rob roy off Oliver plunkett st is the best rugby pub in cork. Might squeeze in 22-27

Avoid the Rob Roy. Went in over Christmas to catch a Munster match. Had some terrible stream so high tailed it.
    I can watch a stream at home, don't expect that in a 'sports bar' which prides itself on multiple screens

Went to the thomond which was good and plenty of screens. They might even give you a section in there

Woolshed and Reardens also good options

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

22 is alot, if you're booking an area say it's a "rugby club" given the weekend that's in it.

You'll have to break up the groups for night clubs but that's normal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I thought the usual lie was "golf trip"?

Time of year though would go against that lie.
    Given the weekend that's in it rugby would probably work better.

Although last time I was on a stag in Ireland (in Kilkenny) we said we're here for work with State Street for a few days on the Monday and came in early. Much easier as a door opener!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Time of year though would go against that lie.
    Given the weekend that's in it rugby would probably work better.

Although last time I was on a stag in Ireland (in Kilkenny) we said we're here for work with State Street for a few days on the Monday and came in early. Much easier as a door opener!

A big elaborate lie, just to get into a pub or club.
    My advice was to go elsewhere to save the hassle and disappointment of a stag in cork. I still stand by that.

It's hardly elaborate, it was a one line answer.

If you don't get in after that you'd have to look at the group, not the bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cheers for all the replies! Have passed the info onto the Stag, he still seems fairly set on Cork so hopefully its not too bad!

Advertisement