Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping near Biarittz

Options
  • 06-02-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Have booked flights today to Biarittz in mid June, the better half plus 4 and 6 year old kids for our first camping holiday. Has anyone been to any of the camp-sites close to Biarittz? Going for 9 days and really looking forward to it but wanna get the location right.

The Mrs likes the look of Sylvamar as per here https://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/sylvamar?xtor=SEC-92&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjoilxpGo4AIVRrvtCh080wtWEAAYASAAEgL3Y_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm thinking though it would require car hire which I'm looking to avoid if I can for cost and stress reasons! I drive enough the rest of the year!

If anyone has experience of camping in the south west of France any info much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

We stayed near St Jean de Luz, which is about 12 kms south of Biarritz, for a week at the end of last August. I believe there is a bus or taxi between the two, but we had a car anyway as had been somewhere else for a few days beforehand.

This campsite: https://www.chadotel.com/en/camping/basque-country/saint-jean-de-luz/camping-linternational-erromardie

There are a fair few other campsites around, but we were recommended this one by friends, who had tried a few of the others.

It's very French which we liked - pretty quiet and traditional, baguettes in the morning etc. Mainly French holiday goers which does limit the ability to make friends for the kids. I think I only heard English spoken once during our time there! There is a small shop, cafe / restaurant onsite and enough English spoken there to get by. The pool facilities wouldn't be on the same level as the one in your link, but fine for kids of that age - 15 metre-ish pool, splash area with water jets etc.

We rented a mobile home, which grand - clean and functional, not fancy, but we went for one of the cheaper ones. Camping pitches were also available, though I felt they were a bit "rammed in" in places. The mobile homes were a little bit closer together too than I expencted. The staff onsite were very helpful, trustworthy, no messing or tricks on getting your deposit back etc. Just a really nice French family feel to the campsite.

The nice thing we found is that the beach was only 5 mins walk away, so you could wander to and fro, go there or the pool, as you prefer. The beach is rough sand, pebbles and does pick up swell as its on the ocean. Depending on the point of tide and weather, you'd generally need to be in the water holding onto the kid, just in case! There are a few restaurants, bars etc on the seafront there.

St Jean De Luz town is I guess bones of half an hour walk away. We only went in once really, as it was hot and very crowded. That said, Biarritz is bigger and more crowded, so would be worse on that front. There is a local supermarket in walking distance of the campsite and a big Carrefour about 1km away, though big roads in-between so may not be easy to walk to.

There are a few "local" standard attractions nearby: a mountain railway, caves, go over into Spain etc, but pretty limited really and not easily accessible without a car. We spent most of the time on the campsite or near the beach and did a decent half day trip every 2/3 days. Depends what you're after really.

Hope this is of some use and just shout if anything you want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. Much appreciated. Think will need to consider strongly possibly renting a car to allow more freedom. That said if the campsite is good enough and we're happy spending most of the time there might be better off with a few taxi trips and buses/trains for a few days out. Hard to know especially on your first one. Wonder are taxis expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Le Ruisseau is another one, very close to the ariport

https://www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/gasconyandgironde/ga015-le-ruisseau/ataglance.html

Never been myself but seems to be well reviewed.

Advertisement