Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone mail server again

Options
  • 06-02-2019 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

Anybody able to send email using mail.vodafone.ie ?
    (fixed line broadband)

Any other Smtp servers I can use with my Vodafone ISP ?
    Iol.ie not working, Eircom, 02, etc blocked.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Use the gmail smtp server, problem solved (permanently).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Google blocking sign in from 'Non google app' on Outlook 2013..?

Via a browser, log into the Gmail account your going to use to authenticate on the Gmail SMTP servers and in your settings, click to allow "less secure apps"

• Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

why not consider build your own mail server?
    you can use €30 SBC like raspberry or arduino.

Seriously? Why on earth would you risk running your own email server, when the OP can just use the Google mail servers.
    emilrasyad wrote: »
    why not consider build your own mail server?
    you can use €30 SBC like raspberry or arduino.

• Advertisement

Seriously? Why on earth would you risk running your own email server, when the OP can just use the Google mail servers.

And what are the risk running your own mail server at home?
    You will have full control who have access to your mail. Using google or any 3rd party mail provider always have privacy issue.

Spamfilters... antivirus... blacklists... configuration, managing and maintenance time etc.

If the OP had the knowledge to run his own mail server (no offence to the OP), he wouldn't be looking for advice on an alternative smtp server.

A truely terrible idea for a regular joe soap.
    emilrasyad wrote: »
    And what are the risk running your own mail server at home?
    You will have full control who have access to your mail. Using google or any 3rd party mail provider always have privacy issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Spamfilters... antivirus... blacklists... configuration, managing and maintenance time etc.

A terrible idea for a regular joe soap.

In fairness, I'd encourage anyone to run a webserver for the learning experience, but a mailserver is a world of pain at this stage. Sage advice Francis Wonderful Veal.

If the OP had the knowledge to run his own mail server (no offence to the OP), he wouldn't be looking for advice on an alternative smtp server.

A truely terrible idea for a regular joe soap.

Plus domain key, dmarc, and so on.
    for small number of users, it shouldn't that difficult to manage and maintain, you obviously need to prepared and test everything in advance before you actually use them. Like start installing the mail software, make sure it can send and receive email, then start adding feature like antispam, antivirus, adding blacklist, configuring the DNS for domain key, and so on.
    The most pain for me was actually some ISPs, like the one I currently use, is too lazy to have PTR record for their subnets.

That is why I ask OP if he consider to have one or not, if he does, then we can explain how and the challenges OP may encounter on setting up one.
    zenith wrote: »
    In fairness, I'd encourage anyone to run a webserver for the learning experience, but a mailserver is a world of pain at this stage. Sage advice Francis Wonderful Veal.

Agree, this is at least for anyone has linux experience and willing to google all the necessary stuff (it is all there, trust me) and up for the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

I played around with setting up a webserver for my IoT devices, but I don't do C. or Python or whatever. Just couldn't get code blocks to connect.
    Half of my house is run by PIC's, Asm code only!

Its just too much effort, for a service that i consider ISP's compulsory to supply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

whizbang wrote: »
    (fixed line broadband)

They decommissioned it back in November, I got this email on 1/11
    Vodafone wrote:
    As Vodafone no longer supply an email service, this relay function will no longer be available from 12th November 2018. If you think you may be using this relay system, you will need to check that your new email provider has this function set up so that you do not encounter any disruption to your emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If you're using Gmail / Google GSuite, their SMTP server is far more secure anyway.

A lot of ISPs no longer want to run open SMTP severs as they're a major problem for security due to abuse as spam relays. A lot of them end up being blacklisted which results in a torrent of support calls.

I played around with setting up a webserver for my IoT devices, but I don't do C. or Python or whatever. Just couldn't get code blocks to connect.
    Half of my house is run by PIC's, Asm code only!

Its just too much effort, for a service that i consider ISP's compulsory to supply.

you don't need to code, just install either postfix or sendmail on linux system and set the configuration as needed, i use this as I'm on ubuntu (raspberry pi2/3) as starting point and add "features" and security after I cleared the basic function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

(fixed line broadband)

Try mail.iol.ie

Advertisement