Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

will addison can slot in at 10 in an absolute emergency as well.... hes actually played there for Ulster against Leicester in the HC

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭EachSmallChime

aloooof wrote: »
    Why do you think he's not fit, as opposed to just Joe favouring Carty at this point? Cos of the bench?

Pretty much yeah. I knew that Carty would start this one but was sure that Byrne would be on the bench. Seems like last week has ruled him out of the running altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    will addison can slot in at 10 in an absolute emergency as well.... hes actually played there for Ulster against Leicester in the HC

I think the versatility of Addision and, to a lesser degree, Conway helped towards Dave Kearney getting the 23 jersey.
    Pretty much yeah. I knew that Carty would start this one but was sure that Byrne would be on the bench. Seems like last week has ruled him out of the running altogether.

Seems like it, alright. I wonder can we read anything else into it, like is Carbery's injury maybe progress better than expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

phog wrote: »
    The POM being dropped posts must not be a longer saga than the ROG/Sexton, Zebo/anyone threads.

When do people tire of posting such rubbish or will they, like a broken clock be right sometime.

Do you think he is an international standard 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Nobody “knew” anything, only Joe knows.

I thought that Jack would start and am delighted for him. Also do not think that last week rules Byrne out either. You can’t leave a young lad out to dry like that. A lot would depend on his week training and how he dealt with the reaction. He is a good player and will come again, who knows maybe even in the Aviva next week. In sport, like politics, a week is a long time. Lots of twists and turns before this squad is finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd say both of those are fairly important aspects for a backrower to excel in. He's regularly at or close to the bottom for tackles and carries out of the forwards. He made 1 tackle against Wales in the 6Ns. How is that even possible?

Those are not fairly important aspects for every back rower. Neil Back rarely carried. Heaslip even took the focus way off carrying. Two of the best back rows of the professional era. There are plenty plenty more examples.

As to how that stat is possible, look at what else he was doing. Sometimes the most important player in a defensive phase is not the one who makes a tackle or jackles. JVDF is a huge example of that on the rare phases where he doesn’t make the tackle.

If you think he’s just standing around doing nothing then I don’t really know what to say to you

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭EachSmallChime

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I thought that Jack would start and am delighted for him. Also do not think that last week rules Byrne out either. You can’t leave a young lad out to dry like that. A lot would depend on his week training and how he dealt with the reaction. He is a good player and will come again, who knows maybe even in the Aviva next week. In sport, like politics, a week is a long time. Lots of twists and turns before this squad is finalised.

u ok hun?

I don't think having sympathy for the guy is hanging him out to dry! Everyone here is just reading signs and speculating. Today, the signs say that Byrne's not on the plane. Next week's could say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Those are not fairly important aspects for every back rower. Neil Back rarely carried. Heaslip even took the focus way off carrying. Two of the best back rows of the professional era. There are plenty plenty more examples.

As to how that stat is possible, look at what else he was doing. Sometimes the most important player in a defensive phase is not the one who makes a tackle or jackles. JVDF is a huge example of that on the rare phases where he doesn’t make the tackle.

If you think he’s just standing around doing nothing then I don’t really know what to say to you

Well, if he's not tackling, not carrying, and not winning turn over after turn over, what exactly is he doing? Adding value by virtue of his inspirational presence?

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Not selecting Byrne for the RWC (or any of the remaining warm-ups) would not equate to "leaving him out to dry". There's only so many places on the plane and so many warm-ups to try different players / combo's. He'll play for Ireland again, it just may not be between now and the end of the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well, if he's not tackling, not carrying, and not winning turn over after turn over, what exactly is he doing? Adding value by virtue of his inspirational presence?

He is the best at making faces at the opposition.....

I do have to say this is a joke in case people get upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I can't see how Byrne is going to travel now.

He wasn't the worst player last week but unlike others he has no proven pedigree to fall back on.

And when he hoofed that ball out on the full in the second half, that was very likely curtains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He is the best at making faces at the opposition.....

I do have to say this is a joke in case people get upset

And interviewers too, Reggie got his Blue Steel before.. (also a joke)

If Carty is injured 5 minutes in is there not a situation where the team is effectively neutered with an inexperienced 10 for the remainder?

Strikes me as an odd selection. Probably means curtains for Ross Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If Carty is injured 5 minutes in is there not a situation where the team is effectively neutered with an inexperienced 10 for the remainder?

Think RB is carrying an injury, so batter to rest him. It'd be worse to NOT have a 10 at all for the subsequent game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Tobecontinu

A lot of players were really bad against England, Ross Byrne was one of them. Not easy to impress when everyone struggled but Byrne added to the issues. It was his big chance and unfortunately, he flopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Think RB is carrying an injury, so batter to rest him. It'd be worse to NOT have a 10 at all for the subsequent game :)

Has this been mentioned anywhere else? It could be a reason for his omission alright, just I haven't seen it anywhere except on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's probably not a bad situation to test out to be honest.

We'll be going into the group stages with Carbery injured, Sexton having little to no game time, and Byrne or Carty.

There's a strong possibility at this stage that an injury could lead to us having someone else stand in at 10 from the bench anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The idea that Ringrose can just step into 10 at test level seems optimistic to me. It is such a hard position to master at pretty much any level, never mind test level, he may have the skillset for it, but he's got to be able to take the right option and then execute accurately every time when a million other things are going on around him. I suppose if anyone can do it then Ringrose can, but it would be a gamble in a match of consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

bilston wrote: »
    The idea that Ringrose can just step into 10 at test level seems optimistic to me. It is such a hard position to master at pretty much any level, never mind test level, he may have the skillset for it, but he's got to be able to take the right option and then execute accurately every time when a million other things are going on around him. I suppose if anyone can do it then Ringrose can, but it would be a gamble in a match of consequence.

Is it a match of any consequence?

Ringrose has done plenty of work at first receiver for Ireland but being the out and out 10 is another step up. However it would be good to see how he gets on.

Or maybe Joe is happy to take that risk with other 10s all having their own injury concerns and this not being a massively important game.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

The selection of POM is an absolute joke and making him captain is just taking the piss. He adds nothing to our back row. Again with Best. He would be nowhere near the extended squad of any other tier 1 nation. Also, it's far too late in the game to be experimenting with alternative out-halves. FFS, it's not like our two preferred 10's are fighting fit right now.

• Advertisement

Also, it's far too late in the game to be experimenting with alternative out-halves. FFS, it's not like our two preferred 10's are fighting fit right now.

These two lines appear to contradict each other. With Sexton and Carbery unfit what else are we meant to do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If we win by more than 15 at the weekend we go number 1 in the world rankings. By christ I would absolutely love that to happen just for the total and complete laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I’d expect it’s more likely that Addison will go to out-half than Ringrose.

These two lines appear to contradict each other. With Sexton and Carbery unfit what else are we meant to do?

Have a replacement OH on the bench. At least should something happen Carthy we wouldn't be left with a patch job at 10. This game is important, the squad doesn't have much time left to try to build some consistency and to put into practice what they have been working on in the last couple of months in training. To potentially end up having to do this without a proper 10 would be a wasted opportunity IMO. Even if it meant drafting Cooney back in for the game at least the backs would get a proper run out. It would be difficult to judge the backs performance should Ringrose end up at 10 for any significant part of the game.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If we win by more than 15 at the weekend we go number 1 in the world rankings. By christ I would absolutely love that to happen just for the total and complete laugh.

Would be kind of funny alright. Obviously we'd be odds on to win the whole damn thing shoud that happen!!

I’d expect it’s more likely that Addison will go to out-half than Ringrose.

Would make more sense but from what I've seen reported the plan is Ringrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Podge_irl wrote: »

Would be kind of funny alright. Obviously we'd be odds on to win the whole damn thing shoud that happen!!

The shortened odds would definitely lengthen alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Webbs wrote: »
    Wales:
    Hallam Amos; Owen Lane, Scott Williams, Owen Watkin, Steff Evans; Jarrod Evans, Aled Davies;
    Rhys Carre, Ryan Elias, Samson Lee, Adam Beard, Bradley Davies, Aaron Shingler, James Davies, Josh Navidi.

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Rob Evans, Leon Brown, Jake Ball, Ross Moriarty, Tomos Williams, Rhys Patchell, Jonah Holmes.

All change for Wales and a couple of uncapped players given a run. Wales dont usually perform when they put out teams like this, thinking especially of Autumn Internationals in past. Be interesting to see what cohesion this team has considering they have been in camp for a while now.

That backrow should get the better of Ireland I’d imagine.
    molloyjh wrote: »
    If POM is starting this week it will be interesting to see who starts at 6 next week. Will it be CJ with Conan at 8 or Rhys with one of CJ or Conan at 8. I cant see POM starting 3 in a row.

Doubt Ruddock will still be involved after the 31 is named on Monday. Not getting game time this week is probably the end Of his chances.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So I wonder what has Joe failed to appreciate with Ruddock? Maybe the same thing as he seems to have overlooked with Dave Kearney?

Schmidt was asked in the team announcement interview as to 10 cover and by the time the question was asked he'd already highlighted Addison's place kicking.

He then went on to highlight Ringrose who kicked in America against Italy I think.

He gave a good defence of Best, seems he wasn't due to play but wanted him to have the option of extra minutes if he felt he needed it. Total backing to be honest, Best is tour captain.

Looking forward to Saturday - we are going to hammer Wales.

And then win the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

For the love of God it's Carty. There's no h. It's 5 letters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Schmidt was asked in the team announcement interview as to 10 cover and by the time the question was asked he'd already highlighted Addison's place kicking.

He then went on to highlight Ringrose who kicked in America against Italy I think.

He gave a good defence of Best, seems he wasn't due to play but wanted him to have the option of extra minutes if he felt he needed it. Total backing to be honest, Best is tour captain.

Looking forward to Saturday - we are going to hammer Wales.

And then win the world cup.
    Big chance for Scannell. If Lineouts go vwell and he does his basics at ruck I feel he has to start v Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stephen_n wrote: »
    Doubt Ruddock will still be involved after the 31 is named on Monday. Not getting game time this week is probably the end Of his chances.

Minor point: we have to submit the 31 on Monday but for some bizarre reason we're not making it public until after the last game.

Agree it looks bad for Ruddock. He was always an outside bet but thought he'd get more of a chance.

Big chance for Scannell. If Lineouts go vwell and he does his basics at ruck I feel he has to start v Scotland

I’d add scrum time as well. If he does the basics to a high standard, he’s giving himself every chance.

Minor point: we have to submit the 31 on Monday but for some bizarre reason we're not making it public until after the last game.

Agree it looks bad for Ruddock. He was always an outside bet but thought he'd get more of a chance.

Flipside could be that Joe is saving the first team for weekend after that.

Flipside could be that Joe is saving the first team for weekend after that.

Have we had any indication so far that Ruddock is part of the first team?

Yeah but after seeing how Schmidt referred to Best he's 100% going. Schmidt has a lot of admiration and respect for Best. He doesn't even try to hide it.

Best is Ireland captain until he retires.

Have we had any indication so far that Ruddock is part of the first team?

Prior to the last game, I would have said no, unfortunately. Given how poorly they played against England, who knows at this stage?

Prior to the last game, I would have said no, unfortunately. Given how poorly they played against England, who knows at this stage?

To go from never being part of the first team since your debut in 2010 to the first team 3 weeks out from the RWC would seem unlikely, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I am going to be honest. I like the look of that team.
    Good strong pack. 7 aside, but I remain positive. Let's see how he responds to the criticism in media. I wouldn't be surprised if he was man of the match, and they are up against a very good Welsh back row.

Really excited seeing Carty & Marmion , getting a decent chance to shine. Jack was phenomenal for Connacht last year and showed real leadership and determination to drag Connacht over the line in a number of games. Exactly the performance we need from our 10 on Saturday. He has Aki and Marmion either side of him and those guys will have great confidence in each other.

I was really depressed and worried and embarrassed and annoyed after Saturdays performance against England, but as the emotion left me and I started thinking rationally about the situation I became a lot less worried about it. I am going to keep the faith and look forward to Saturdays game.

I do think there is one or two positions where I would go with a different player than Joe. But to be honest at this level I don't think it makes any difference. Firstly 1 or 2 players alone couldn't make as big a difference as we need from Saturday, and also there is no fit 7 that is hugely better than POM at the moment, so it's no odds whether he is dropped or selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yeah but after seeing how Schmidt referred to Best he's 100% going. Schmidt has a lot of admiration and respect for Best. He doesn't even try to hide it.

Best is Ireland captain until he retires.

Yes he will remain captain... but will he start v Scotland?
    Scannell probably missed an opportunity to really impress in Australia last summer. He didn’t look extremely fit.... Or maybe athletic is a better word? Lineouts went ok. He had a great throw to the tail in both the 2nd and 3rd tests that lead directly to tries.
    Joe puts such a premium on Lineout that Scannell can actually make the decision for Joe with a really good throwing performance and successful lineouts in these Welsh games.

The respect Joe has for Best has probably created his biggest dilemma. If he ain’t performing at lineout and Scannell is. - can he afford to stick with Best?
    Benching Best might be the compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

*Sees Marmion & Carty at 9 & 10*

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

heard it several times from ex-players that you need 2 matches to be match fit\ready, so that rules out Earls, Henshaw,sexton,murray,healy. possibly more depending on injuries this week and the rotation next week. it's beginning to look like a very tough world cup again for Ireland

To go from never being part of the first team since your debut in 2010 to the first team 3 weeks out from the RWC would seem unlikely, to say the least.

Maybe Joe will finally come to his senses and pick the form backrow players in the country over the last few seasons. Ruddock VdF Conan, Murphy on the bench is our best option, by a mile. Same group who've been the best in Europe over the last few seasons, whereas the Munster cohort have failed repeatedly, playing the dull, limited style that Joe seemingly now favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

typhoony wrote: »
    heard it several times from ex-players that you need 2 matches to be match fit\ready, so that rules out Earls, Henshaw,sexton,murray,healy. possibly more depending on injuries this week and the rotation next week. it's beginning to look like a very tough world cup again for Ireland

Someone should tell Hansen this as Brodie Retallick is selected knowing he wont play until QF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

andymx11 wrote: »
    Someone should tell Hansen this as Brodie Retallick is selected knowing he wont play until QF

You just know he’ll be peaking for the final :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maybe Joe will finally come to his senses and pick the form backrow players in the country over the last few seasons. Ruddock VdF Conan, Murphy on the bench is our best option, by a mile. Same group who've been the best in Europe over the last few seasons, whereas the Munster cohort have failed repeatedly, playing the dull, limited style that Joe seemingly now favors.

What form have Conan and Ruddock? They haven't played a competitive second this season.

Cos we've done so poorly under Joe over the last few seasons?? :confused:

You might disagree with his selections but this "come to this senses" language is nonsense.

What form have Conan and Ruddock? They haven't played a competitive second this season.

You what? Did I hallucinate the HC and Pro14 finals then? Or the season before that?

Cos we've done so poorly under Joe over the last few season?? :confused:

You might disagree with his selections but this "come to this senses" language is nonsense.

We've played like poop this season. He picks players who haven't been playing well, over ones who have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement