Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Wegians89 wrote: »
    The one against Cardiff I think? Inside his own 22 to Matt Healy, judged the wind to perfection

I cant find the clip! :rolleyes:
    It was practically on the try line and relieved a load of pressure.

He had LOADS this year but the highlight videos are not living up to their billing! :pac::pac:

I am restricting myself to the last season but if you go back he has always had the crossfield in his arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

He had LOADS this year but the highlight videos are not living up to their billing! :pac::pac:

I am restricting myself to the last season but if you go back he has always had the crossfield in his arsenal.

https://youtu.be/fduaf9oXteA

2:45 into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Seems crazy to me that there are players on both sides playing for a plane ticket to Japan but it should make it an exciting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Based on the reviews here Carty is the new Dan Carter, even better. Sure we don’t need Sexton at all this World Cup..... :-) now I am joking but seriously people, you are posting video of him in pro 14 which I think everyone can admit isn’t the highest of quality

I will just hold my decision till after today, he is playing against a second string wales team, if he as good as everyone is saying he should rip wales apart today

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Based on the reviews here Carty is the new Dan Carter, even better. Sure we don’t need Sexton at all this World Cup..... :-) now I am joking but seriously people, you are posting video of him in pro 14 which I think everyone can admit isn’t the highest of quality

I will just hold my decision till after today, he is playing against a second string wales team, if he as good as everyone is saying he should rip wales apart today

Don’t think anyone is saying he’s dan carter or better than Sexton. He’s had a better season than bryne, we’re talking about competition for third choice ten after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is this provincial Mickey waving going to continue for much longer?

There are a lot of opinions on Carty that are just not accurate.
    There is a tendency for people to make lazy assessments based on his form from years ago.
    I am just trying to put forward a evidence based arguement that he has rounded out his skill set and is a very influential player.

I think he should be in the Irish squad and hope that he shows his best today.
    With Sextons current form and Carberry's injury there is every chance he will be playing games in the world cup and once given a few starts can show his quality.

Also my body clock is expecting some Pro14 games around now and the vidoes are satisfying that.
    (I also LOVE that clip of the conversion against Wasps and will post it whenever I can)

salmocab wrote: »

No - we just won it.

As long as there are provinces, it’ll continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Depends on when boards shuts down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Really looking forward to seeing Addison at 15 today also think stocktake will be back with a bang

What are you looking for in particular?
    It'll be interesting to see how he plays the role - RobK MarkII style or more line breaking type. Maybe he might even pop up at first receiver?
    Personally would have preferred Larmour or Conway get a start at 15

It'll be interesting to see how he plays the role - RobK MarkII style or more line breaking type. Maybe he might even pop up at first receiver?
    g

Genuinely, just looking for any alternative for Kearny. Need depth there. But think Addison could offer more of a line breaking threat and be a bit more creative.

Don’t think anyone is saying he’s dan carter or better than Sexton. He’s had a better season than bryne, we’re talking about competition for third choice ten after all

I did try to stay away from comparisons

Byrne played the majority of pro 14 games including a semi, which his team won and Leinster had a home semi booked in feb wasn’t it

He started I think 50% of group games in heneiken and a qtr final....not losing a game...

Not sure how Carty would claim to have a better season than that?

Anyway onwards, can’t wait for kick off

R Kearney did pop up at first receiver at start of England game, it all went to pot then

Could’ve a new tactic and Addison would be a good option

Byrne played the majority of pro 14 games including a semi, which his team won and well in front of other clubs

He started I think 50% of group games in heneiken and a qtr final....not losing a game...

Not sure how Carty would claim to have a better season than that?

Anyway onwards, can’t wait for kick off

As you said Byrne played most pro 14 games but carty made the team of the season in that competition, the only competition they both played in, so the only one you can compare in. Connacht aren’t as good as Leinster, simple fact so comparing Heineken to challenge cups is pointless. Carty also won the supporters player of the year? Correct me if that’s wrong but he won another individual award and was nominated for players player. Don’t want to be constantly comparing them but carty literally had a better season and that can’t really be argued.

And for the record I think Byrnes style is better suited to Ireland under Schmidt, I just don’t think he’s test level ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

That's not like you, you're to be found on the other teams' forums doing just that and it would seem that other players just don't compare to your beloved Leinster.

g

Genuinely, just looking for any alternative for Kearny. Need depth there. But think Addison could offer more of a line breaking threat and be a bit more creative.

ok. Yea need a good backup.
    will need to do all the basics vwell of course. do you know is he good under the high ball?
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47114478
    Would still prefer Larmour and Conway to get picked in RWC squad (& start at 15 v Wales). But i fear for Larmour if Addison lights it up today.

ok. Yea need a good backup.
    will need to do all the basics vwell of course. do you know is he good under the high ball?
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47114478
    Would still prefer Larmour and Conway to get picked in RWC squad (& start at 15 v Wales). But i fear for Larmour if Addison lights it up today.

Think it’ll be very interesting to see how decisions go between larmour, Addison, Conway and Farrell/henshaw(injury?)

As you said Byrne played most pro 14 games but carty made the team of the season in that competition, the only competition they both played in, so the only one you can compare in. Connacht aren’t as good as Leinster, simple fact so comparing Heineken to challenge cups is pointless. Carty also won the supporters player of the year? Correct me if that’s wrong but he won another individual award and was nominated for players player. Don’t want to be constantly comparing them but carty literally had a better season and that can’t really be argued.

And for the record I think Byrnes style is better suited to Ireland under Schmidt, I just don’t think he’s test level ATM.

The team of the season that had 1 Leinster and 1 Glasgow player on it even though both teams played in final and where the best teams all season

Yes excellent point of reference :-)

As I said a number of times I hope Carty does well but let’s give him the plaudits he hopefully deserves after the game

Think it’ll be very interesting to see how decisions go between larmour, Addison, Conway and Farrell/henshaw(injury?)

dont know what the hell is happening with Henshaw. worrying

But it looks like Joe thinks of Addison as the first backup at FB now.

• Advertisement

Definitely worrying for sure. I'd think he'd have been penned down for this game. I hope it's just niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Addison is a great utility back. Can cover alot of positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Feck the provinces, come on Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No - we just won it.

That’s the problem with Mickey waving, people think they won when really the poor fools that seen it realized that everyone in it was a loser.

Definitely worrying for sure. I'd think he'd have been penned down for this game. I hope it's just niggles.
    Was reading about”Gronk” retirement from Patriots. His last injury was a dead leg in Super Bowl. Reads vlike a similar deep tissue injury that Henshaw had. Sore!
    Henshaw has had allot of injuries over the last 2 years - durability has to be a concern.

Was reading about”Gronk” retirement from Patriots. His last injury was a dead leg in Super Bowl. Reads vlike a similar deep tissue injury that Henshaw had. Sore!
    Henshaw has had allot of injuries over the last 2 years - durability has to be a concern.

I was hoping for a Henshaw and Farrell start, hopefully they both make it to thew WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who is showing this folks?

Who is showing this folks?

Channel 4, I think, coverage starting at 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Joe Schmidt will have something to say about this match very soon on C4.

No - we just won it.

That’s the problem with Mickey waving, people think they won when really the poor fools that seen it realized that everyone in it was a loser.

Your assessment of my mickey is analogous with many people's assessment of Carty.
    You haven't really seen it in action and are assuming that it may not be all that special.

My response to that is similarly analogous. Once you see it in action you'll be surprised and impressed. Also it's better than Ross Byrnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Your assessment of my mickey is analogous with many people's assessment of Carty.

Not even a capital "M"?
    Firstly, one should always believe in one's self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Wales by 17

Are the Irish team wearing the white jerseys with the black sleeves today?

The commentators on C4 today are Miles Harrison, Shane Williams & Jamie Heaslip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Conway a bright spot the last few weeks. Has to be on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This game has no continuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Carty is a ****ing baller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Our front five were great for the first fifty. Wales had more ball and territory, but it was on our terms for the most part. We handled them well when they had the ball. James Ryan is a monster and once he perfects his lineout game he'll be the best lock in the world. I'm totally convinced of that.

But I'm really worried about our backrow. don't think any backrower has impressed in these warm ups. PoM, Beirne and Conan were all meh. Stander was frankly crap last weekend too. PoM needed a big game today and he didn't deliver. VdF has been the best performer so far, but that's solely due to his workrate which is expected anyway. Nobody has stood up demanding selection for the Scotland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I presume the "Is Carty really any good?" argument has now been settled...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Starting xv all fit for Quarter final would be:

1. Kilkoyne
    2. Best
    3. Furlong
    4. Ryan
    5. Toner
    6. Henderson
    7. VDF
    8. Pffff nobody deserves it....
    9. Marmion
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Earls
    15. Kearney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

For next week/ Scotland

Healy, Best Furlong

Toner Ryan

Ruddock Vdf Conan

Marmion Sexton

Henshaw Ringrose

Stockdale Kearney Earl

Kilcoyne
    Cronin
    Porter
    Henderson
    Murphy
    Murray
    Carty
    Addison

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

On what planet is Kilcoyne ahead of Healy?

Killer put himself on the plane today without a doubt with a great performance, but let’s relax a little bit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Healy has been Ireland's best performer in 2019. Can't start any big game without him. Henderson isn't a blindside either. Other than that your side is probably correct. I'd like Scannell and Conan to take up the hooker and number 8 positions, but their performances this series haven't propelled them.oast the incumbents so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zzippy wrote: »
    I presume the "Is Carty really any good?" argument has now been settled...?

Not for me.

Better than Ross Byrne, yes. Test quality out half? Still not seeing it.

Someone above said he's now ahead of Carbery. That's madness.

There’s no way marmion is ahead of Murray, sorry just not gonna happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the WC squad been named next week ???

If we dont get our heads right than the Scotland game is even more of a daunting prospect. A loss will add so much pressure going into a must must win game against the hosts. Tbh 2 defeats and were out and the Russia/Samoa games will only be for pride.

Japan dont look that bad and national pride will give them heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is the WC squad been named next week ???

If we dont get our heads right than the Scotland game is even more of a daunting prospect. A loss will add so much pressure going into a must must win game against the hosts. Tbh 2 defeats and were out and the Russia/Samoa games will only be for pride.

Japan dont look that bad and national pride will give them heart

Go. To. Your. Local. Bookmakers.

It's not going to happen. We'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Go. To. Your. Local. Bookmakers.

You should put PTH in the same category as rugbylad.
    I did a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

kuang1 wrote: »
    You should put PTH in the same category as rugbylad.
    I did a long time ago.

Ah PTH isn't in it for cash. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not for me.

Better than Ross Byrne, yes. Test quality out half? Still not seeing it.

Someone above said he's now ahead of Carbery. That's madness.

Well MOTM in a test match suggests he is. Agree on Carbery, hope he's fit in time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement