Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

stephen_n wrote: »
    One small point of pedantry, we beat them in Cardiff in the warm ups in 2015 too.

To be honest I wouldn't count the win yesterday or the win in 2015....both where preseason games and both times it was second string teams....

Unfortuneatly for Joe he has never won in Cardiff with Ireland......but he can always remember that lovely day with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Nice analysis, Venjur. The only thing I'd disagree with you on is Beirne - think you're being pretty generous. It did feel like all the work was being done by the locks, hence the problems when Ryan went off and Henderson was utterly banjaxed at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ringrose is a real worry. On 43 minutes (and he was only just on the pitch) he had a Welsh player lined up and rather than fold him he went arms first in the tackle around the upper leg. In that kind of situation I ask myself WWTD (what would Tuilagi do) and needless to say I came out with a different conclusion. I can't help but feel he's carrying a knock and isn't confident leading with the shoulders. He was shook after attempting to tackle Marler last week. I think he's one of our top 5 players and hugely important to our world cup chances but something does appear off with him.

This I find worrying , and agree , Ireland need Ringrose at his best to perform - with injuries to Carberry/Sexton and Murray and Leavy (already out)- all vital players to Irelands success.
    Yesterday even though seconds , will do the squad good getting a victory , but really hope the form and injuries of above are less than what I fear.
    Without the above we should get through group, but for QF really will need all our best players playing and at best.

and Robiie Henshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

VANG1 wrote: »
    If Patchell started we would probably have lost. They won the second half. Still a long way to go to beat a full strength top team.

We started with 4 first choice players and one of those was out of position.

Nice analysis, Venjur. The only thing I'd disagree with you on is Beirne - think you're being pretty generous. It did feel like all the work was being done by the locks, hence the problems when Ryan went off and Henderson was utterly banjaxed at the end.

I think Beirne was fine. He was good defensively but spent very little time in the middle of the park and we sparingly went wide. We played a narrow enough game and Wales wide rush defence was reasonably effective. Our passing wasn't good enough to get around them and hence Beirne spent a lot of time in no mans land. It's where he was meant to be, but failings or limitations inside him meant he just didn't get the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I think Beirne was fine. He was good defensively but spent very little time in the middle of the park and we sparingly went wide. We played a narrow enough game and Wales wide rush defence was reasonably effective. Our passing wasn't good enough to get around them and hence Beirne spent a lot of time in no mans land. It's where he was meant to be, but failings or limitations inside him meant he just didn't get the ball.

I dont think he missed a tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Didn't watch the game until late last night and haven't read the match thread so apologies if any of this is repetition.

Thought James Ryan was a cut above everyone on the pitch. Line speed, aggression in contact and organising the defence - Henderson similarly was everywhere. Those two players alone seemed to limit Welsh momentum. The lack of go forward gave us a lot more scope to slow down Welsh ball and that's where the game was won.

As a team we were better than last week. Certainly much harder working and somewhat manic from some of the lads under pressure for Japan.

Kilcoyne had an excellent game, popped up everywhere and carried well. Set piece was unpredictable and I still think he's a risk in the scrum but has shown more than Jack McGrath at this stage.

Rest of the starting front row had solid if unspectacular performances. Lineout was decent if notably uncomplicated.

Back row was workmanlike - Beirne went reasonably well at 6 and he's a good deal faster than I had given him credit. Made some incredibly athletic cover tackles but didn't get a chance to carry as spent a good bit of our possession in the wider channels.

POM and Conan were solid, Conan tackled all and everything around him. Whilst he got one or two steals on the deck - POM more importantly was sweeping the rucks effectively and slowed the Welsh breakdown consistently.

Marmion was urgent all day, probably a nose ahead of a stuttering Murray on the basis of this performance. Carty went well, don't think he deserved MOTM but he used our early possession well and was integral in the build up to our scores. Felt we went a bit flat later on and got a bit predictable, hard to be critical in a warm up match but would like to have seen a bit more variety in how we attacked when Wales started coming back into the game.

Thought Farrell and Aki gave us a nice but of extra muscle from mid field. Aki obviously under pressure and he was working incredibly hard on and off the ball. He gave away at least 2 penalties however but probably the best of our centres on the day. Farrell would have been a very useful addition last week, he's a serious unit but went missing a bit as the game progressed.

Wings both good. Stockdale threw the ball away after his first try and kicked it away after his second. Could have gotten a card for the latter. Thought he went well though and was physical at the breakdown when given the opportunity. We know he scores tries, he wasn't tested too much defensively which is the primary area of concern so not sure how much to take away from his performance.

Conway putting really serious pressure on Larmour now, albeit I think Addison having a shaky enough game is the more consequential component of the sub narrative around back three selection.

Of the subs I was very impressed with Porter. He's in incredible physical condition and took some big enough hits on the deck with a smile on his face. Scrum was good when he came on - French clubs will be lining up for his signature if he keeps this up.

Ringrose is a real worry. On 43 minutes (and he was only just on the pitch) he had a Welsh player lined up and rather than fold him he went arms first in the tackle around the upper leg. In that kind of situation I ask myself WWTD (what would Tuilagi do) and needless to say I came out with a different conclusion. I can't help but feel he's carrying a knock and isn't confident leading with the shoulders. He was shook after attempting to tackle Marler last week. I think he's one of our top 5 players and hugely important to our world cup chances but something does appear off with him.

Best and Jordi both had big performances off the bench. One or either seemed to be every second tackler in the last 20 minutes.

Luke McGrath was good when he came on also, played it a bit too safe and like Carty could have varied our attack a bit to force Wales to tighten things up but his defensive play was top drawer.

I managed to avoid the result until I saw the game. None of the neighbours gave anything away and whilst I gave them initial credit for good poker faces, in hindsight I think the lack of expression was probably the fairest reflection of the game.

It was better than last week against a much weaker team. We at least looked like we gave a ****e which is a positive step in the right direction but I still saw nothing which suggests we'll be competitive in Japan against a top 5 team.

Winners from the game are Kilcoyne, Henderson, Ryan, Beirne, Marmion, Carty, Conway, Porter, Best, Jordi and Stockdale (just).

Lads like Conan, POM, Scannell, Aki probably didn't shift the dial a huge amount. Aki was good overall, a few things didn't go his way but he was best of the centres. I think he makes the plane and getting selected will help his confidence a lot.

I think Addison, Farrell and John Ryan did not advance their case. Neither did Toner. I feel we need either a fit and in form Henshaw or Farrell against a South Africa or English type team but Farrell didn't stand out yesterday and Henshaw is still in hiding.

Speaking to someone close to the squad on Friday and got an interesting tid-bit. Training has been different in the run up with the wider squad much more involved in on pitch training and no setting of combinations or continuity towards a match day squad. Seems Joe is favouring having a wider number of players involved and up to speed until as late as possible.

I think we need to improve as much from this week to next as we did from last week to yesterday or Wales first choice XXIII is going to give our first choice a serious black eye on our home turf.

Good synopsis, but I disagree on Addison, I thought he did well, he showed what he would bring. Real pace from the back and solid under the high ball, he made some good tackles as well. Getting bundled into touch wasn't a good look though.

Interesting about your comment about training. I think the thing we have to remember is that we are in a slightly different position to some other teams. We need to hit our peak on the weekend of 18/19 October. Teams like England, who have tougher groups need to hit it a couple of weeks before. It's not an excuse for last week's overall performance, but maybe, just maybe we aren't at England's level yet because we don't need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

bilston wrote: »
    Good synopsis, but I disagree on Addison, I thought he did well, he showed what he would bring. Real pace from the back and solid under the high ball, he made some good tackles as well. Getting bundled into touch wasn't a good look though.

Interesting about your comment about training. I think the thing we have to remember is that we are in a slightly different position to some other teams. We need to hit our peak on the weekend of 18/19 October. Teams like England, who have tougher groups need to hit it a couple of weeks before. It's not an excuse for last week's overall performance, but maybe, just maybe we aren't at England's level yet because we don't need to be.

Not sure I agree with that ..... you need to be hitting your straps against Scotland and take it from there ..... likewise us against Georgja and Oz.
    Forensic expectations of peaking and troughing are mere prophesies IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

This is exactly it.
    Venjur has made this point a couple of times, and I completely agree.
    This time last year you had all of the senior players getting lots of minutes with the provinces.
    That's not how things normally operate. They're usually eased back into the season following on from the summer tour.
    But last season there was a very obvious strategy deployed to get everyone peaking for the NZ game mid November.
    And of course we all know how that panned out.

I think that was a dress rehearsal for the WC.

And I would also dare to suggest that it was done knowing that the 6ns campaign would suffer to some extent as a consequence.

And as a side note, we also played a very unimpressive game the week before NZ against the Argies if anyone remembers. We were set to get hockeyed against the ABs the following week according to a lot of people.

This is a very good squad with very good management.
    That has not changed.
    Some forget that too readily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure I agree with that ..... you need to be hitting your straps against Scotland and take it from there ..... likewise us against Georgja and Oz.
    Forensic expectations of peaking and troughing are mere prophesies IMO.

We'll see...it would be a dangerous game to play.

But in terms of just plotting our way through the tournament the Scotland isn't as important as Japan and Samoa, and really we should be beating those teams, irrespective of how much Japan may have improved. Whether we beat Scotland or not we are going to be playing either NZ or or a rejuvenated SA in the Quarter Finals. Part of me would prefer to play NZ just because I see SA a bit like England, their raw power would cause us serious problems. Then again NZ are NZ. No matter who we play it is going to be a massive game and we need to be at our very best.

The above does nothing to appeal to the mocking Gods and I'm sure it will look arrogant to a Welshman (particularly as we all know how good Wales are with momentum behind them) or someone else who isn't Irish, but it's just how I see it.

• Advertisement

But in terms of just plotting our way through the tournament the Scotland isn't as important as Japan and Samoa, and really we should be beating those teams, irrespective of how much Japan may have improved. Whether we beat Scotland or not we are going to be playing either NZ or or a rejuvenated SA in the Quarter Finals. Part of me would prefer to play NZ just because I see SA a bit like England, their raw power would cause us serious problems. Then again NZ are NZ. No matter who we play it is going to be a massive game and we need to be at our very best.

The above does nothing to appeal to the mocking Gods and I'm sure it will look arrogant to a Welshman (particularly as we all know how good Wales are with momentum behind them) or someone else who isn't Irish, but it's just how I see it.

I think what Joe is doing is having a wider pool of players fully up to speed and conditioned to draw on should a repeat of 2015 happen. I think the fine tuning is going to happen in the coming weeks, combinations will settle and a first choice selection will build the necessary cohesion.

I don't think it's about peaking later than other teams or being last minute. I think it's a strategy with a 7 game tournament in mind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Here's the most likely 31 imho...

17 Forwards / 14 Backs:
    Front row: Healy, Kilcoyne, Best, Scannell, Herring, Furlong, Porter, Ryan
    Second row: Ryan, Henderson, Toner, Kleyn
    Back row: Stander, O Mahony, Van der Flier, Beirne, Conan

Halfbacks: Murray, Marmion, Carty, Sexton, Carbery
    Centres: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw, Farrell
    Back 3: Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Conway, Addison

I know the draw is what it is but we're not going to/wouldn't beat anyone in the top 5 or 6 in the world in this RWC imo. We just look like an average team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

17 Forwards / 14 Backs:
    Front row: Healy, Kilcoyne, Best, Scannell, Cronin, Furlong, Porter, Ryan
    Second row: Ryan, Henderson, Toner, Beirne
    Back row: Stander, O Mahony, Van der Flier, Murphy, Conan

Centres: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw, Addison
    Back 3: Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Conway, Larmour

Mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Here's the most likely 31 imho...

17 Forwards / 14 Backs:
    Front row: Healy, Kilcoyne, Best, Scannell, Herring, Furlong, Porter, Ryan
    Second row: Ryan, Henderson, Toner, Kleyn
    Back row: Stander, O Mahony, Van der Flier, Beirne, Conan

Centres: Aki, Ringrose, Henshaw, Farrell
    Back 3: Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Conway, Addison

Hope you’re right on Conway. Prefer to see Dillane instead of Kleyn too. Or swap out Kleyn for Murphy and Beirne can fill in in Second Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Personally I think Ireland have a better chance of beating SA than NZ.

Time will tell i suppose ....

In terms of plotting a path I'd rather avoid NZ for as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I’d take South Africa over New Zealand every single time.

Does it really matter if we lose to Scotland?

The main point is get out of the group and then see what happens. NZ or SA? well either will be competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The main point is get out of the group and then see what happens. NZ or SA? well either will be competitive.

If we can't beat Scotland what hope have we against SA or NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

It would matter to me because I'd be forced to look at Laidlaw's grinning mug.

Awful site that.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    If we can't beat Scotland what hope have we against SA or NZ?

The match against SA or NZ would be over a month after that match.....

SA lost against Japan and ran NZ very close in the semi, better than any other team in 2015....the aim for Ireland should be to win a Qtr final. Not some group game against Scotland

kuang1 wrote: »
    It would matter to me because I'd be forced to look at Laidlaw's grinning mug.

Awful site that.

That would be one huge drawback.....but I could live with it if we win a qtr final

The match against SA or NZ would be over a month after that match.....

SA lost against Japan and ran NZ very close in the semi, better than any other team in 2015....the aim for Ireland should be to win a Qtr final. Not some group game against Scotland

Yes but winning all our group ganes gives us the best chance of drawing SA instead of NZ.

Yes but winning all our group ganes gives us the best chance of drawing SA instead of NZ.

Does it? what if SA beat NZ?

At the moment ireland are struggling against the big teams like England/SA. NZ might be a better option.....

All depends on injuries over the group stages. We could win all group games and come up against a fully firing and fit SA. Or lose one game but hit NZ who have 5-6 top players out injured and easier target

Nobody knows is the point I am trying to make. Getting so hung up about preseason games and a group match seems a bit pointless to be honest. Ireland should have moved on now and target the Qtr etc.....

Does it? what if SA beat NZ?

At the moment ireland are struggling against the big teams like England/SA. NZ might be a better option.....

All depends on injuries over the group stages. We could win all group games and come up against a fully firing and fit SA. Or lose one game but hit NZ who have 5-6 top players out injured and easier target

Nobody knows is the point I am trying to make. Getting so hung up about preseason games and a group match seems a bit pointless to be honest. Ireland should have moved on now and target the Qtr etc.....

To be in a position to get to a QF you have to be winning most of your games. Can't be looking beyond the group before it's even started. NZ are still a big team. Can't gamble on result of a SA/NZ win, that's why we need to look out for ourselves. If we lose to Scotland confidence could take a battering. Japan could be pumped up to take a scalp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

We absolutely need to beat Scotland. If we don't beat them they we'll need to put our best team out against the others in the group.

To be in a position to get to a QF you have to be winning most of your games. Can't be looking beyond the group before it's even started. NZ are still a big team. Can't gamble on result of a SA/NZ win, that's why we need to look out for ourselves. If we lose to Scotland confidence could take a battering. Japan could be pumped up to take a scalp.

if Ireland lose to Scotland, well number 1 the country will lose it mind, but I would hope the team pick themselves up and concentrate on getting out of the group.

SA done it last time, previously England have etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It wouldn't be fatal but it absolutely would matter.

If we get to the RWC with our team picked, tactics set out and preparations done... Then we find it's not enough to beat Scotland?? Yes that would matter.

We absolutely need to beat Scotland. If we don't beat them they we'll need to put our best team out against the others in the group.

Why?

I don't understand why we would stop playing the squad because of one loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Why?

I don't understand why we would stop playing the squad because of one loss.

Really?
    Then, let me explain...
    Besides the moral hit, you can't afford to lose two games, so if you lose one immediately, you would have to put a stronger team out than you would usually. Losing to Scotland leaves you with little choice but to play certain players back into form.
    SA and NZ have relatively easy games towards the end of their group, so will be fresh as daisies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mate sent me a text. Said there is one "shock" selection.

Wonder will it leak tonight.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Donnacha Ryan hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The IRFU is pleased to announce that Mary O’Loughlin of Co. Tipperary has won the lucky dip and is off to Japan as team mascot and 31st member of the squad.

“When I popped down to my local Foursquare on Friday to get some eggs, Frank the owner convinced me to buy a ticket for a chance to go to japan and support the team. I can’t believe it really”.

It’s expected cups of tea and freshly baked shortbread wont be in short supply for Joe and the lads where the locals have more of a fondness for sushi and sake.

I'd suspect it's more an omission than an inclusion.

If that was the case I would have my guess (without naming) or someone carrying an injury that is more serious than was thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

One leads to the other - unless he is bringing 30, which would be a shock I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Alice from the O2 ad back in 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

If that was the case I would have my guess (without naming) or someone carrying an injury that is more serious than was thought.

So that would narrow it down to:

Sexton
    Carbery
    Henshaw
    Earls
    Healy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

My guess is Earls, he said Sexton and Henshaw were training well, but no mention of Earls. Would need to be available for next Saturday to prove fitness.

Does anyone see any merit in Joe waiting a week to announce his squad after he's submitted it to World Rugby? I don't. I think it's going to do more harm than good for the squad and their preparations.

In this day and age I think it's evitable it will be leaked.

Furthermore, how does he handle it with the players? Have they been told today if their in/out. You'd imagine word would filter through to the public.

If they don't know, they spend a week building up to the last warm-up not knowing where they stand.

I would've thought the logical thing would be to name it at the same as it's submitted to WR. In doing so, all those involved understand where they stand and know what's required, focussing on the actual World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Does anyone see any merit in Joe waiting a week to announce his squad after he's submitted it to World Rugby? I don't. I think it's going to do more harm than good for the squad and their preparations.

Furthermore, how does he handle it with the players? Have they been told today if their in/out. You'd imagine word would filter through to the public.

If they don't know, they spend a week building up to the last warm-up not knowing where they stand.

I would've thought the logical thing would be to name it at the same as it's submitted to WR. In doing so, all those involved understand where they stand and know what's required, focussing on the actual World Cup.

True could he just announce it tomorrow and the people who paid for tickets for the game next weekend will knw it's the genuine world cup teams there seeing in action

Trying to remember was it after the Wales game in the Aviva in 2015 that he announced the squad and they then played England in Twics In the final warm up game ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Conway did an interview with the IT saying the players find out today

They are probably subject to an nda

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

All the players are being told today- not sure of the exact reason he’s holding back from public but are we allowed alter the squad with WR up until the 8th ? If so, maybe it’s because of the doubt around some players injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Announcing it publicly and telling the players are two very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just announce it publicly on Monday. It's going to leak anyway and those not traveling are going to rock up to their provinces' preseason games during the week. It's all a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

One man's shock is another man's "I told you so".

Nevertheless, here's a few suggestions:

1. Ringrose out, Farrell in.
    2. Three looseheads, two tightheads travel.
    3. Dave Kearney's defensive reading sees him selected ahead of bigger attacking threats.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Announcing it publicly and telling the players are two very different things.

Indeed they are, I don't see what benefit it is to the squad by trying to keep that information away from the public in an age where it will inevitably be leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Just announce it publicly on Monday. It's going to leak anyway and those not traveling are going to rock up to their provinces' preseason games during the week. It's all a bit silly.

What is the reason they won't announce it publicly tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hahashake wrote: »

Probably something around wanting to keep the players focused on the final warm-up and the media storm that comes alongside the squad being announced.

Or he could be still keeping some players who are on the reserves list in camp due to the injuries and doesn't want blowback if any of them are named in the 23 for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

hahashake wrote: »

They may be able to alter it up until the 8th and maybe with some injuries in the balance it makes more sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement