Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The fact that Stockdale is just one try away from equalling Trimble's Ireland try count is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Indeed they are, I don't see what benefit it is to the squad by trying to keep that information away from the public in an age where it will inevitably be leaked.

What harm does it do either? The benefit is players that aren't selected can stay with the squad without extra public scrutiny and it allows larger selection choice for the Wales game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not announcing it til the allowed deadline means the opposition have one less week to study the selected players, and deduce the Irish team’s game plan.
    Even if it is only a slight nuisance to Scotland then it’d be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That person might consider Larmour being left out a ‘shock’. Dave Kearney included could be a candidate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

D14Rugby wrote: »
    What harm does it do either? The benefit is players that aren't selected can stay with the squad without extra public scrutiny and it allows larger selection choice for the Wales game

It doesn't make any difference to selection for the Wales game, we can pick whoever we want. The only difference it makes is to external perception of the selection for the Wales game.

It's bizarre and I wouldn't be surprised if it's announced this week after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Peregrine wrote: »
    The fact that Stockdale is just one try away from equalling Trimble's Ireland try count is insane.

Mad alright! Next milestones after that are 18, 19, 21.

With RWC and 6N, could see him going up the rankings fairly quickly.

Not announcing it til the allowed deadline means the opposition have one less week to study the selected players, and deduce the Irish team’s game plan.
    Even if it is only a slight nuisance to Scotland then it’d be worth it.

I don't think the extra week would have any effect in this case as two weeks is plenty of time to look at this and much prep work would already have been done.

I can't figure out what the thinking is on this announcement process - has anything been put out as to why?

would it help sell more tickets for the game at the Aviva - seems like the only possibly valid reason.

overall seems a pointless exercise and surely there will be leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Joe has never done anything like this delayed announcement before has he? Hes a pretty methodical guy so I'm sure he has his reasons. That we dont know what those might be is neither here nor there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

molloyjh wrote: »
    Joe has never done anything like this delayed announcement before has he? Hes a pretty methodical guy so I'm sure he has his reasons. That we dont know what those might be is neither here nor there really.

If he’s not telling the public I’d say he’s not telling the players. And some players who aren’t going might be playing next weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Wegians89 wrote: »
    If he’s not telling the public I’d say he’s not telling the players. And some players who aren’t going might be playing next weekend ?

He’s telling the players today/tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That person might consider Larmour being left out a ‘shock’. Dave Kearney included could be a candidate too.

Considering his cataclysmic performance against Argentina was one of the prime reasons we lost that quarter final in 2015, including him now would be a shock to the nervous system.

wittycynic wrote: »
    Considering his cataclysmic performance against Argentina was one of the prime reasons we lost that quarter final in 2015, including him now would be a shock to the nervous system.

It wouldn’t be my pick but it’s probably one of the more likelier ‘shock’ selections.

On a side note, very annoying when people tell ya half of a story. Either say it all or say nothing. I know the poster only got a text so don’t mean him/her.

Yea judging a players inclusion based on something 4 years ago is genius. Move over Joe- Why aren’t you coaching ?

Joe has always had a very weird approach when it comes to things like squad announcements and media engagement. He never announces anything until the last possible minute and in this case, he's doing it a week later than that.

Very odd, always has been.

Joe has always had a very weird approach when it comes to things like squad announcements and media engagement. He never announces anything until the last possible minute and in this case, he's doing it a week later than that.

Squads aren't final until the 8th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He doesnt like the press....simple as that.

The IRFU have also moved away from the press with the creation of its own media etc.....if Joe could get away with doing no interviews etc he would be more than happy.......thats not saying he isn't good at them. He was and still is a breath of fresh air when doing an interview after the game. Gives a very good insight compared to the usual cliche interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Didn't think I would come to this conclusion, but I'd prefer either Addison or Conway to Larmour. Both Addison and Larmour have a more direct, physical and predictable approach. I expected a lot from Larmour, am a big Leinster fan and tend to favour their players (fingers crossed in vain for Ruddock!!), but for me Larmour may not be worth his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Didn't think Addison was anything special yesterday, would be surprised if it got him ahead of larmour.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Squads aren't final until the 8th

Yeah, but he's submitting the squad tomorrow (apparently). I can't figure out what his logic is.

He's just a bit weird about these things.

Yeah, but he's submitting the squad tomorrow (apparently). I can't figure out what his logic is.

Submitting it tomorrow and not announcing it until the deadline is not waiting until a week after the very last minute though as you said.

I'd imagine there are many people here that can't work out the logic behind many things international head coaches do. That's why they're in the position they're in.

• Advertisement

andymx11 wrote: »
    Yea judging a players inclusion based on something 4 years ago is genius. Move over Joe- Why aren’t you coaching ?

No, but judging him on the basis of one of the most high pressure games he played at international level might be. And seeing as yesterday's match saw him commit the same kind of defensive miscalculation that cost us dearly in 2015, I'd say there's no reason to change my opinion of those frailties.

No, but judging him on the basis of one of the most high pressure games he played at international level might be. And seeing as yesterday's match saw him commit the same kind of defensive miscalculation that cost us dearly in 2015, I'd say there's no reason to change my opinion of those frailties.

That’s fine but writing that would have been a more reasonable post than your original post.

In other unrelated news- are there any stats on how many box kicks we’ve used in the first 3 warm up games? I don’t recall one on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wingers getting left out to dry getting hammered for it is pretty lazy tbh. Just like Stockdale last week, there were reasons for the issues vs Argentina which didnt start with Dave Kearney. But like the English soccer media, lots of Irish supporters need them a fall guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Weird? maybe just Mysterious:)
    would have thought its simply to keep the opposition guessing for as long as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Weird? maybe just Mysterious:)
    would have thought its simply to keep the opposition guessing for as long as possible?

He has been coach for 6 years. Scotland will have a fairly good idea what to expect.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’ve heard this supposed ‘shock’ inclusion too.

I say ‘shock’ because I don’t know to believe it or not. A lot of people here won’t be happy if it’s true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Faugheen wrote: »

I say ‘shock’ because I don’t know to believe it or not. A lot of people here won’t be happy if it’s true.

Sexton out injured and Byrne is in.

Wingers getting left out to dry getting hammered for it is pretty lazy tbh. Just like Stockdale last week, there were reasons for the issues vs Argentina which didnt start with Dave Kearney. But like the English soccer media, lots of Irish supporters need them a fall guy.

Am I to then assume that your view is that Dave Kearney didn't make mistakes in both the aforementioned games that led to the concession of tries?

Because I know where I can find video evidence that says otherwise.

There were, as you say, other things wrong with our game that contributed to our downfall in 2015. He nevertheless made repeated and costly misjudgements. And yesterday was further evidence that he is prone to them at this level.

The guy's a decent provincial outside back. He's not, nor has he ever been, and international standard winger. We have other options in his position who make fewer mistakes of this kind, and they are the ones who should travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

On the assumption that it is someone in the training squad at the moment then the only player I can think of is Kleyn. Not sure I'd call it a shock but personally I don't think he has done enough for selection

bilston wrote: »

On the assumption that it is someone in the training squad at the moment then the only player I can think of is Kleyn. Not sure I'd call it a shock but personally I don't think he has done enough for selection

If it is what I’ve heard, it’s definitely one I didn’t see coming.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Either tell us what you've heard or say nothing at all.

Nobody wants to hear this "I know something you don't know" stuff.

Share it with the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Spill.

awec wrote: »

Either tell us what you've heard or say nothing at all.

Nobody wants to hear this "I know something you don't know" stuff.

Luke McGrath instead of Marmion

Jaysus.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Surely not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are you sure it's a case of X instead of Y? What if they bring three 9s?

Jaysus.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Exactly why I didn’t want to post it in the first place.

Re the delayed announcement alright - Joe Schmidt does dislike the media in general - Gerry Thornley in particular apparently.
    Can't say that I blame him on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

After watching the first two games and listening to the sounds coming from camp, I’m even more convinced in my theory that everything we have done in 2019 has been to arrive at that quarter final in peak condition.

Joe - “I know how hard these players are working and how hard they’ve worked over a number of years because this is the pinnacle, this is what they’ve wanted to go after, this is what we talked about last Christmas as being very much the sole focus of the year”.

I think we went into the England game with our eyes wide open as to what was going to happen. Think the score got away from us alright but I doubt there was anyone in camp panicking.

Saturday looked a lot more like a normal preseason game. We tailored the week to ensure fresh for the game and it showed for opening 50. We were a lot more cohesive and we still didn’t show absolutely anything to anyone on set piece etc.

I know there are people who say there is no way Ireland would sacrifice a 6 nations (Bread & butter and all that) but I think they did. 2018 was used as a trial to peak for NZ and then taper off. The fact all the big hitters were playing much earlier than usual in a pro 14 season supports this.

You will see improvement again next week with a stronger team out. Just my opinion and we are going to find out if I’m talking nonsense come the next 3-5 weeks.

Away from the conspiracy theory, James Ryan looks like he has filled out nicely over the summer. Looks a man now if that makes sense. He was seriously impressive in contact yesterday. Was bullying anyone who was silly enough to run in his vicinity.

Also thought Aki looked a good 3-4kg lighter than usual too and it showed in his movement I thought.

Would love Addison to make the squad. Think he’s such a clever player and is closest thing we have to Kearney at fullback.

I've heard Toner is out. I don't believe it personally.

Struggle to see this being true. It would be a really bizarre selection given the past 4 years.

Are you sure it's a case of X instead of Y? What if they bring three 9s?

They want to bring 5 half backs, so I can't see them bringing three 9s when Sexton and Carbery have injury conerns at 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Struggle to see this being true. It would be a really bizarre selection given the past 4 years.

he was limping coming off against Wales
    could only be that

Theres no way McGrath is traveling ahead of Marmion by choice. Schmidt said no injuries after yesterday’s game so either he didn’t know/didn’t want to say it or more likely, this is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've heard Toner is out. I don't believe it personally.

I'd believe this tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd believe this tbh

Could only see that if he was copping a ban. He's a lynch pin in our game plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I could see Joe going with that. He is a McGrath fan. Would have had Cooney ahead of McGrath myself.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd believe this tbh

You believe we would leave our most consistent second row over the last 4 years at home? A critical part of our line out which we kick off most of our attacks?

Apart from aban why would we leave toner at home?

glasso wrote: »
    Re the delayed announcement alright - Joe Schmidt does dislike the media in general - Gerry Thornley in particular apparently.
    Can't say that I blame him on that one.

I like Gerry....Gerry seems a huge fan of Joe and has got good interviews with Sexton etc....I don’t think it’s gerry that’s the problem TBH
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I could see Joe going with that. He is a McGrath fan. Would have had Cooney ahead of McGrath myself.

Marmion has been consistently picked in front of McGrath for a number of years. So not sure why joe suddenly is a McGrsth fan?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement