Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I guess McGrath’s partnership with Byrne was the deciding factor :eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s Ethel who’s not making the plane, they’re going to drink coffee instead of tea and she just doesn’t fit the gameplan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

glasso wrote: »
    Re the delayed announcement alright - Joe Schmidt does dislike the media in general - Gerry Thornley in particular apparently.
    Can't say that I blame him on that one.

I don't think it's any one journalist or any particular outlet. He just doesn't want to get involved with it.

Maybe he's not as confident in himself as we think.

But he creates the issue himself. If they just released the squad, the leaks never exist to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

If Kleyn gets in.....what an embarrassment that would be.

Haven't read the last few pages but how worrying is it that Felix Jones is with SA now?

Joe seemed to say he knew everything that was going on, what tactics we have etc, how we call things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I don't think it's any one journalist or any particular outlet. He just doesn't want to get involved with it.

Maybe he's not as confident in himself as we think.

But he creates the issue himself. If they just released the squad, the leaks never exist to begin with.

I would imagine the leaks are willful, they are too accurate too often. If Joe really had a problem with them, the source would be gone by now. Unlike with Kidney where one or two seemed to have a direct line, most of the Journalists now seem to get the info. That doesn’t suggest there is any real issue in the camp about leaks getting out.

Haven't read the last few pages but how worrying is it that Felix Jones is with SA now?

Joe seemed to say he knew everything that was going on, what tactics we have etc, how we call things.

I've long been pushing the theory that Rassie appointed VanGraan with Munster to keep an eye on his eventual quarter final opponents.

Notice how Stander and PoM's form has been poor and Carbery got injured with highly suspicious timing. Anyone paying attention can see Rassie's fingerprints all over this.

Felix Jones apparently was acting strange for months before he left Munster and a number of his family members disappeared the night Ireland beat the All Blacks last November. Dinner still on the table type situation.

I think we can all read between the lines - I hope Joe is bringing professional food tasters with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If Felix learned our entire playbook in the space of a two-week work experience placement with the shadow national squad, two years ago, and it hasn't changed in the interim, then yes, we have problems.

This is all nonsense. Joe is having a bit of a joke at the expense of some of the more gullible among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Faugheen wrote: »
    Luke McGrath instead of Marmion

Addison going as 4th centre despite not playing a game for Ireland at centre.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Must be tough for guys who have been through all the training and camps to be told that they aren't in the final 31.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Argentina in the autumn. He played 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Cna they announce the squad at this stage without knowing if Toner will be cited?

Pointless annoucning a squad with Toner and then in 2-3 days time he gets a 6 week ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Did he not play at centre for Ireland before? Maybe it was on the wing but he is a centre and did pretty well, I thought, on Saturday as fullback. I’d be bringing him if Henshaw is not right and Conway over Larmour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Tbh I wouldn’t be as surprised if marmion was left out. He hardly played during the six nations and McGrath has played in every match so far in preseason I think

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Argentina in the autumn. He played 13.

Forgot about that. Still surprised if true given how Joe encouraged Farrell back home and Henshaw injury profile

Must be tough for guys who have been through all the training and camps to be told that they aren't in the final 31.

Realistically there's only a couple at most who will believe they have a chance of going and won't make it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Realistically there's only a couple at most who will believe they have a chance of going and won't make it.

Who knows?

Either Herring or Cronin won't travel. McGrath or Kilcoyne.....There are quite a few close calls across the squad.

The players will know by now anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Forgot about that. Still surprised if true given how Joe encouraged Farrell back home and Henshaw injury profile

I think Carbery (and Sexton) having injuries/niggles helps his case. Carty/Byrne are out and out 10's so our 23rd player needs that bit more flexibility.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Kleyn ahead of Toner would be completely farcical.

I also can't see at all how he's gotten to the point of bringing McGrath as the only other SH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wouldn't be surprised to see them travel but it's the Indo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be very disappointed if Toner didn't travel, especially if a no mark like Kleyn went in his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

All that article says is from O' Connor is that Kleyn stated two warm up games and based on that he predicts he'll travel. Very little substance. Toner getting a citing might change things. He was pretty bad on Saturday too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Cna they announce the squad at this stage without knowing if Toner will be cited?
    Only an allowed time for player to be cited, think it has to be done by COB today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Outside of his lankiness which helps at lineout time Toner offers little these days. No wheels

Can't read too much into the starting lineups of these test matches.

Toner is proven, Joe knows what he brings. He's playing Kleyn to see what he can bring.

I don't think Kleyn has done enough.

Carty/Byrne was a case where they were fighting it out, I think Carty played himself onto the plane.

Only an allowed time for player to be cited, think it has to be done by COB today.

36 hour window for these games apparently

36 hour window for these games apparently

That's different to standard which is 50 hours from kickoff I think. He's very lucky to get away with that imo, it's not too different to the red card NZ got v Australia the other week. Same with Kearney v England, very fortunate.

• Advertisement

With the stable of second rows at Leinster getting developed, Toner may be out of the team there in a few months too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd be very disappointed if Toner didn't travel, especially if a no mark like Kleyn went in his place.

It's fair enough to criticise the decision but don't think Schmidt shares theory that he's a "no mark" when he was brought into squad as soon as eligible tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Rarely post on here as I am only a casual observer and prob not as knowledgeable as most on here. Would be very disappointed if Toner is left out for Kleyn. Our lineout is poor enough at the moment without reducing our options further. Not calling on Toner to start but, would be a great option to have in the squad. Always thought Marmion was a favourite of Joe too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Kleyn ahead of Toner would be completely farcical.

I also can't see at all how he's gotten to the point of bringing McGrath as the only other SH.

Really harsh on Toner if true - Kleyn has done little to get on the plane , Toner meanwhile has been immense , and ther are many other players whos form has dipped way worse than Toner this year.

Really cant believe Joe would pick McGrath over Marmion - hopefully neither true

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Both true. Rudduck in over Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

The one I don't believe is McGrath over Marmion.
    The minute Marmion started limping on Saturday he was off - even though he told the medics he was fine.

The way I saw it they were protecting him for the world cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster looking at cover only makes sense if Beirne and Kleyn travel.

Kleyn and Ruddock very much strike me as calls with one eye on being potentially needed against South Africa or NZ in a quarter final. More powerful men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I can’t see any of these rumors being true tbh. Possibly Ruddock over Jordi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

Marmion looked sharp in the first half on Saturday, and even though there's not much of a gap between himself and Mcgrath I would have thought he's earnt the right to travel. Not sure about toner, Ryan is his natural replacement so Joe might decided to bring Klein instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was chatting to a guy from Mullingar recently and he predicted Toner not travelling and that was before any possible citing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

I’d be very disappointed if I was Toner and I missed out on a career highlight by losing my place to a player who isn’t even Irish .

I’m sure we will hear more about this when books are written in future.

Toner isn’t playing well but he has been in the system all his life and is born and bred. It must be a tough pill to swallow. Same for players behind Aki and Stsnder. I’m sure they are privately annoyed by it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Marmion missing out would be shocking

phog wrote: »
    I was chatting to a guy from Mullingar recently and he predicted Toner not travelling and that was before any possible citing.

Is he being from Mullingar somehow significant?

I was wondering that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

salmocab wrote: »
    I can’t see any of these rumors being true tbh. Possibly Ruddock over Jordi.

I can see Addison travelling ahead of Farrell too. He can play in three different positions across the backline which is invaluable when the squad is limited to 31 players. It's why I think Larmour will travel as well.

NeonWolf wrote: »
    I’d be very disappointed if I was Toner and I missed out on a career highlight by losing my place to a player who isn’t even Irish .

I’m sure we will hear more about this when books are written in future.

Toner isn’t playing well but he has been in the system all his life and is born and bred. It must be a tough pill to swallow. Same for players behind Aki and Stsnder. I’m sure they are privately annoyed by it all.

Nordi was born in Barcelona.

Clegg wrote: »
    I can see Addison travelling ahead of Farrell too. He can play in three different positions across the backline which is invaluable when the squad is limited to 31 players. It's why I think Larmour will travel as well.

Yeah although I’m not sure I’d see that as a big shock we’re talking about 4th choice center there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is if you're from Mullingar! These details matter to some people. Let it go! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement