Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If it does go as normal and Aki starts after doing press, that can’t be a great sign for Ringrose given Henshaw is likely to start too.

After Aki starting v England and Wales had expected Henshaw Ringrose to get run out this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sure there is a fair chance that Marmion and Toner and many others will get called into the squad before the quarter final.

I dont remember the exact injury list from Argentina 2015 but I think it was Sexton, O'Connell, O'Mahoney, O'Brien, Payne?
    Didn't Bowe get injured early in the game too?

True but that was a particularly bad injury profile too. That said they they could still get involved alright

ClanofLams wrote: »
    If it does go as normal and Aki starts after doing press, that can’t be a great sign for Ringrose given Henshaw is likely to start too.

After Aki starting v England and Wales had expected Henshaw Ringrose to get run out this weekend.

I'll chuckle if Henshaw starts at fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Selection decisions I would have found shocking.

“Joe, what was it about Noel Reid’s game that got him the nod ahead of Johnny Sexton?”

“Rodney Ah You and not Tadhg Furlong. That must have been a tough decision Joe?”

“He has been described as barely AIL level. Joe, what is it you see in James Lowe?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

ClanofLams wrote: »

Ringrose has played 2 full games and a half last weekend too. If any of them need a break it’s him. I’d be playing Farrell outside henshaw and give the two lads a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Hugh Jones misses out on Scotland squad
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49563533
    Reckon Scot will go with Duncan Taylor at 12 & Sam Johnson at 13 v Ireland

Huw Jones as been poor for a while now. The anger in Scotland seems to be over Hutchinson missing out. Though I’ll admit I know more about Johnson than Hutchinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'll chuckle if Henshaw starts at fullback.

I'd cry:pac:
    Team id like to see v Wales
    Kearney; Earls, Ringrose, Henshaw, Stockdale (40mins); Sexton (70 min), McGrath (60 min); Healy (50 min), Scannell (50 min), Ryan (60min); Henderson, Ryan (40 min); POM (c) (60min), Ruddock, Conan

Reps: Best, Killer, Furlong, Kleyn, Beirne, Murray, Carbery, Larmour

Dont like the idea of Henshaw at 13; but probably not a bad idea for his first game back. Bundee can take it in to heavy traffic
    Bundee did the presser?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Skyfloater

Was it here that I saw someone say that Ringrose appears to carrying a shoulder injury?
    And if there is any credence to this, will he be 100% by the QF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Something that popped into my mind

No really discussion about how great Conway has been so far for Ireland. I don’t think anyone had him in their squad travelling to Japan. He was sitting as a maybe and would struggle potentially to get past Addison etc

His form has been incredible and I think he will really push Earls/Stockdale for a starting position

For all the complaining about Joe not picking on form I think he is a player who really has nailed his position in the squad in the last 3 games

Great to see and hope he has a great WC

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Hermy wrote: »
    Amateur question perhaps but regarding Kleyn is it the norm for players with few or even no caps to get picked for a World Cup squad?
    And does it usually work out well for them and the team?

We have one in Carre ..... I'm sure I read somewhere he has only one start for the Blues .....

We have one in Carre ..... I'm sure I read somewhere he has only one start for the Blues .....

Heinz for England has 1 cap and travels......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shefwedfan wrote: »

No really discussion about how great Conway has been so far for Ireland. I don’t think anyone had him in their squad travelling to Japan. He was sitting as a maybe and would struggle potentially to get past Addison etc

His form has been incredible and I think he will really push Earls/Stockdale for a starting position

For all the complaining about Joe not picking on form I think he is a player who really has nailed his position in the squad in the last 3 games

I think he'd be first choice already, if not for injury. He looked great in Australia before he got hurt. I'm a fan, he's got tons of talent and fighter's attitude to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Heinz for England has 1 cap and travels......

I was really impressed by him, reminded me of an old (young) Stringer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

How did Toner not get cited?

Incredible inconsistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

For a quarter final or even Scotland I’d personally nearly think start Conway and earls( if fit) and have stockdale at 23. Stockdale coming of the bench against a tired defense at 11 or even 15 would be terrifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think he'd be first choice already, if not for injury. He looked great in Australia before he got hurt. I'm a fan, he's got tons of talent and fighter's attitude to him.

Would he be ahead of Earls or Stockdale? I wouldn't think so.

Possibly the favourite for the 23 jersey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Think he would easily have been in for consideration based on performances well before those recent games.

I see him as a very underrated player. Reminds me of Denis Irwin. Just puts the head down and does what he needs to do. Think he could have a great tournament if the team is on form and if he gets a chance.

Stockdale has what, 14 tries in 17 tests? Mostly against the best teams in the world. He starts every time. Earls is our best winger then on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

• Advertisement

Think he would easily have been in for consideration based on performances well before those recent games.

I see him as a very underrated player. Reminds me of Denis Irwin. Just puts the head down and does what he needs to do. Think he could have a great tournament if the team is on form and if he gets a chance.

He was a maybe for number 31 in the squad at best at the start of the training camp....Conway was the shining light of u20 rugby. The next BOD etc. He was rated above Zebo and every other player of that age....he just fell off the radar

Has nothing in common with Irwin.......

I don't remember anything hugely special from him on Oz tour? he started 1 game was it? scored a try? nothing to suggest he jumped the other wingers

This season so far he has really nailed his form and looks great. I would still start Earls/Stockdale but if they are out of form he should get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

He was a maybe for number 31 in the squad at best at the start of the training camp....Conway was the shining light of u20 rugby. The next BOD etc. He was rated above Zebo and every other player of that age....he just fell off the radar

Has nothing in common with Irwin.......

Ah stop, some great performances in 2017 and 2018. Ahead of Larmour in many a man’s book. Said enough about that already in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Would he be ahead of Earls or Stockdale? I wouldn't think so.

Possibly the favourite for the 23 jersey though.

If you assume Earls and Stockdale are our wingers unless we want Earls in at 13 I'd say Conway either starts or isn't in the squad. Only way we see him at 23 is if Larmour is on the wing I'd say. That's why Ringrose played wing against Wales so that we could have another centre on the bench, but it's between Larmour and a centre (provided ringrose is playing) for the 23 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

D14Rugby wrote: »
    If you assume Earls and Stockdale are our wingers unless we want Earls in at 13 I'd say Conway either starts or isn't in the squad. Only way we see him at 23 is if Larmour is on the wing I'd say. That's why Ringrose played wing against Wales so that we could have another centre on the bench, but it's between Larmour and a centre (provided ringrose is playing) for the 23 spot.

Earls won't play at 13. I can see Conway pushing Stockdale for one wing. Stockdale is looking poor I defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Earls won't play at 13. I can see Conway pushing Stockdale for one wing. Stockdale is looking poor I defence

Not likely

The defensive thing is completely overblown. Ireland play a system that often exposes their wings. Every Irish winger has been caught out by it. Even Earls.

Anyway he is far and away our most lethal attacking player. I'd astonished if he was dropped for Conway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Matt Healy isn't remotely international level. Balacoune looks good but if you rubbed your penis with a salty cheese grater, it still wouldn't be as raw as Balacoune. TOH done to death, he had his chances.

I'll never understand the contempt for Dave Kearney. It's horrible, like genuinely unpleasant.

It's not contempt. He's just so.....average. He wouldn't be remotely close to getting into other international sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Healy! Balacoune. Even TOH.
    DK is a decent provincial player. He's not international standard, imo
    It's not contempt. He's just so.....average. He wouldn't be remotely close to getting into other international sides.

He's comfortably better than any of the players you mentioned though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Your missing the point. He was in the extended squad and none of the players you mentioned would get anywhere near other sides. You are talking about 6th or 7th choice winger in training

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

https://www.the42.ie/joe-schmidt-world-cup-squad-cut-players-4793993-Sep2019/

Interesting quote from Joe Schmidt,
    “As for the call to include Luke McGrath ahead of Marmion, Schmidt referenced the Leinster nine’s superior kicking game as one of the reasons behind it.

“A thin line separated them,” he added. “I think Luke’s kicking game, the strength of his kicking game. We felt we needed to take a bit of pressure off the kicking game from our 10s, that we can mix it up between our halves and further out.

“They [McGrath and Marmion] are both incredibly tenacious. They are smart and sharp around the fringes. Both are incredibly courageous defenders and they are sharp on their feet. It was very much a dead heat in so many areas but Luke’s kicking game probably just narrowly tipped it in his balance.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not one box kick in these warm up games so far. It is clear his 9s are doing no kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not one box kick in these warm up games so far. It is clear his 9s are doing no kicking.

It's a strange one, there's been noticeably less kicking from hand this year. We kicked an awful lost less in the 6N too (Murray had 42 kicks from hand and Sexton 24, compared to Youngs and Farrell who had 70 and 46 respectively). We had the 2nd least amount of kicks as a team and least amount of metres, and also the 2nd least amount of territory.

Earls won't play at 13.

Exactly my point, thus Conway either starts or isn't in the squad
    errlloyd wrote: »

You'd swear nobody here has ever played in a team that has had games before playing in a big competition. You don't go around showing your play book, that's everything, strike moves, general play, lineouts you don't use everything in these games. What we've seen in these warm ups is unlikely to be how Ireland actually play. The style of play in these games has actually been very fitness intensive which I suspect is deliberate not only to get fitness up but also to show other team that this is up our sleeve as a style of play if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Exactly my point, thus Conway either starts or isn't in the squad

You'd swear nobody here has ever played in a team that has had games before playing in a big competition. You don't go around showing your play book, that's everything, strike moves, general play, lineouts you don't use everything in these games. What we've seen in these warm ups is unlikely to be how Ireland actually play. The style of play in these games has actually been very fitness intensive which I suspect is deliberate not only to get fitness up but also to show other team that this is up our sleeve as a style of play if needed.

We heard this 4 years ago too and nothing changed in the RWC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

So it says Addison, Murphy and Marmion stayed with the squad to train, does that mean the others refused to stay like Toner, Byrne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭KBurke85

So it says Addison, Murphy and Marmion stayed with the squad to train, does that mean the others refused to stay like Toner, Byrne?

No I'd say they only needed certain players and may have only asked those three to stay

I doubt it. Some positions were needed in training. Others weren't.

Yeah that's exactly it. I saw on Twitter that they had to cancel training cos it was Rob Herring's ball and he took it home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah that's exactly it. I saw on Twitter that they had to cancel training cos it was Rob Herring's ball and he took it home.

Toner was going to stay but his mammy called him in for dinner

KBurke85 wrote: »
    No I'd say they only needed certain players and may have only asked those three to stay

Not at all. To do 15v15 in training they needed another back rower and back 3 player, then it's a good idea to keep the reserve 9 around when you've only 2 incase of injury *touch wood*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Am I the only one who finds the praise of the 3 guys for staying a bit over the top? They'll still be looking to impress to be the first one on the plane when we inevitably get an injury..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

AdamD wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds the praise of the 3 guys for staying a bit over the top? They'll still be looking to impress to be the first one on the plane when we inevitably get an injury..

Apparently Carton House does a savage buffet breakfast, they are refusing to leave!

I'd imagine what happened was schmidt was asked about players staying and said the courtesy praise and then a media person at the IRFU got wind of this and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread that players were staying after such a big disappointment so put it everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They were hardly going to tell him where to go in fairness..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd be pretty confident that cut players don't get the option of just hanging around for as long as they like after they've been cut, and are expected to ship out pronto. They are presumably staying because they were asked to stay, because presumably they are the 3 people who are likely to get phone calls at some point in the next 8ish weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Meanwhile, some of the English players not going to WC are in the squad vs Italy this weekend.

It is a bit much. You're hardly going to say no (to either Ireland or England). That would certainly put a dent in your prospects should opportunities arise in the coming weeks.

🤪

Employees fulfilling their contractual obligation to turn up to work? That's the sort of good news story we need in our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Employees fulfilling their contractual obligation to turn up to work? That's the sort of good news story we need in our lives.

They're contractors, it's a miracle they ever show up in the first place going off my experience with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

They don't have a choice though do they? The people who pay their wages tell them to stay, they don't ask them. If they are playing conditioned games in training, they need numbers. They need the next in line should an injury occur. They are just doing their jobs.

I have said before that I think Carbery has to prove his fitness (ankle operation three weeks ago?) and Marmion might go if he does not make it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement