Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

They're contractors, it's a miracle they ever show up in the first place going off my experience with them!

It explains a lot of the comments we read of players going missing during games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    They don't have a choice though do they? .

I know boards can get pedantic sometimes but in fairness I think what he was getting at is that he was impressed they got on with it with the same commitment and effort that they had before being cut

as mentioned I don't think anyone would be expecting them to storm off or refuse to participate

its all probably a bit of plamass anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

AdamD wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds the praise of the 3 guys for staying a bit over the top? They'll still be looking to impress to be the first one on the plane when we inevitably get an injury..

We are a moany old bunch arn't we???

How would you like making all the sacrifices these players have made for the last 4 year and probably since they where 16 year of age. Then get told the one chance you might have to go to WC is now gone.

Then get asked if you can hang around with 31 other people who are over the moon because they are going to the WC.....not something I would like to do myself....

Yes loads of praise they should get, I would expect most of them would want to get out of the camp ASAP as soon as they are told the news. Get back to province and train hard with the guys their....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Guess at 23 for Wales match in Dublin:
    1. Healy if fit or else Kilcoyne, 2. Best, 3. Furlong,
    4. Ryan, 5. Kleyn,
    6. O’Mahony, 7. Van der Flier, 8. Stander,
    9. Murray, 10. Sexton,
    11. Stockdale, 12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose,
    14. Earls if fit or else Larmour, 15. Kearney

Subs: 16. Cronin, 17. Kilcoyne if Healy is fit or else Porter, 18. Ryan, 19. Henderson, 20. Ruddock, 21. McGrath, 22. Carbery if fit or else Carty, 23. Larmour if Earls fit or else Conway.

Rest of World Cup squad:
    Healy if not fit or else Porter, Scannell, Beirne, Conan, Carbery if not fit or else Carty, Aki, Farrell, Earls if not fit or else Conway.

Training with squad:
    Murphy, Marmion, Addison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes loads of praise they should get, I would expect most of them would want to get out of the camp ASAP as soon as they are told the news. Get back to province and train hard with the guys their....

I really doubt it.

Say you're Jordi Murphy; you've been effectively told that you're next in line. Now, you're looking at Rhys Ruddock and Josh van der Flier and their injury records and you're calculating the odds of them making it through the next eight weeks uninjured, and I'd say you like your odds of going to the RWC.

Now imagine you're Tommy O'Donnell.

Will Addison vs Dave Kearney; same argument. Addison needs only one of Ringrose, Henshaw, Kearney, Conway or Earls to go down and they all have terrible injury records.

The lads will be disappointed not to be in the main squad but absolutely delighted not to be heading home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

They're contractors, it's a miracle they ever show up in the first place going off my experience with them!

Contractors only get paid when they show up:pac:
    Employees get paid regardless
    & the lads are there to cover the other slacker employees suffering from "soreness"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Guess at 23 for Wales match in Dublin:
    1. Healy if fit or else Kilcoyne, 2. Best, 3. Furlong,
    4. Ryan, 5. Kleyn,
    6. O’Mahony, 7. Van der Flier, 8. Stander,
    9. Murray, 10. Sexton,
    11. Stockdale, 12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose,
    14. Earls if fit or else Larmour, 15. Kearney

Subs: 16. Cronin, 17. Kilcoyne if Healy is fit or else Porter, 18. Ryan, 19. Henderson, 20. Ruddock, 21. McGrath, 22. Carbery if fit or else Carty, 23. Larmour if Earls fit or else Conway.

Rest of World Cup squad:
    Healy if not fit or else Porter, Scannell, Beirne, Conan, Carbery if not fit or else Carty, Aki, Farrell, Earls if not fit or else Conway.

Training with squad:
    Murphy, Marmion, Addison.
    Would it not make more sense to have Henderson start if he's taking responsibility (shared with Ryan) for line-out calling, with Kleyn on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

By my reckoning Addison is the primary injury cover for 9/31 squad members so it makes sense to keep him involved.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Addison, Murphy and Marmion are more than likely all going to the world cup. That's why they're staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

awec wrote: »
    Addison, Murphy and Marmion are more than likely all going to the world cup. That's why they're staying.

Marmion is a muscle twinge away from being needed this Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I don't think Murray is going to last the whole WC and to be honest I would be surprised if Sexton did either . IMO the WC will take a very different shape as teams lose players with injury as the comp goes on .

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense to have Henderson start if he's taking responsibility (shared with Ryan) for line-out calling, with Kleyn on the bench?

That’s certainly a point, but as Henderson played the full 80 last week and Kleyn was rested I’m leaning towards Kleyn starting as tight-head lock, with Ryan taking over Toner’s role running the line-out.
    Henderson to come on for Kleyn at 55 mins for an injection of energy.

I’m assuming Joe Schmidt also wants to see how a partnership of Ryan and Kleyn would work out.

The talk of no box kicking reminded me of world class Murray of old.
    SA 1st test 2016 - His play here from 74mins is pretty amazing stuff.
    https://youtu.be/dJa5y77FaoQ?t=6462
    His box kicking isn’t at this level anymore and our chasers get railroaded now.
    I expect Ireland will still revert back to the type of kicking game they used in this game. Clearance kicks from both 9 & 10 with attacking kicks in behind and a dink or two over the top. Henshaw’s boot might also be utilised more.

Interesting to note the amount of change from that Squad to this RWC squad
    Ire Squad in SA (Initial 32 man squad included Sexton, RobK, Dave K & Fitzgerald. Replaced by Madigan, O'Halloran, Gilroy & Healy)
    36 players in total called up.

Ire RWC Squad -12 Players remain from the 36 with Healy, Conan and POM coming back.
    And 16 new caps!
    That’s impressive squad growth.

For comparison SA have 17 of their players in the WC Squad excl. Pollard and 38 year old Schalk Briits
    With only 9 new caps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I don't think Murray is going to last the whole WC and to be honest I would be surprised if Sexton did either . IMO the WC will take a very different shape as teams lose players with injury as the comp goes on .

Sexton is guaranteed to be injured. It's a matter of when. Depends on timing if someone is drafted in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

How would you like making all the sacrifices these players have made for the last 4 year and probably since they where 16 year of age. Then get told the one chance you might have to go to WC is now gone.

Then get asked if you can hang around with 31 other people who are over the moon because they are going to the WC.....not something I would like to do myself....

Hey, Kieran. It's Luke. Would you be a good lad and give me a hand with fielding a few box kicks? Need to practice before I head off to the RWC, you know how it is. Actually, you don't, now that I think about it (awkward)...well, anyhoo, cheers for giving me a hand.

Must be torture for Marmion, but he needs to keep on grinning, because if there's an injury he knows he's next up.

Presume the team is named tomorrow? I'm guessing it'll be very similar to the team who played England. If we get easily beaten yet again then I'm definitely going to worry. There's no excuse at this stage of just been in Portugal, or they're at a different stage of their prep, or whatever.
    The talk of no box kicking reminded me of world class Murray of old.
    SA 1st test 2016 - His play here from 74mins is pretty amazing stuff.
    https://youtu.be/dJa5y77FaoQ?t=6462
    His box kicking isn’t at this level anymore and our chasers get railroaded now.
    I expect Ireland will still revert back to the type of kicking game they used in this game. Clearance kicks from both 9 & 10 with attacking kicks in behind and a dink or two over the top. Henshaw’s boot might also be utilised more.

He's miles off his world class best, is that him or is that just a general malaise that we've seen from the Irish team in 2019? Go back to the 2018 6N and he was brilliant, go back to the 2017 Lions tour and he was neck-and-neck as the best SH in the world.

Presume the team is named tomorrow? I'm guessing it'll be very similar to the team who played England. If we get easily beaten yet again then I'm definitely going to worry. There's no excuse at this stage of just been in Portugal, or they're at a different stage of their prep, or whatever.

He's miles off his world class best, is that him or is that just a general malaise that we've seen from the Irish team in 2019? Go back to the 2018 6N and he was brilliant, go back to the 2017 Lions tour and he was neck-and-neck as the best SH in the world.

:( unfortunate phrase you use
    Want McGrath to start on Sat and have a blinder
    Would love Murray to do the same - but i think we are out of road. He is so far off where he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtu.be/gUTR7NnI1cs

We might see a certain player been mysteriously attacked lol

:( unfortunate phrase you use
    Want McGrath to start on Sat and have a blinder
    Would love Murray to do the same - but i think we are out of road. He is so far off where he was.

How did you get into training?

I though the public and press where banned from the majoriy of the training camps

• Advertisement

Team for the weekend apparently

Killer
    Best
    Furlong
    Ryan
    JK
    CJ
    VDF
    Conan

Murray
    Sexton
    Stock
    Bundee
    Robbie
    Earls
    RK

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I like that back row. In fact the only area I'd be concerned with is the centres. Never been sold on Henshaw at 13 for Ireland, particularly not with Aki at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bench probably Cronin, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, McGrath, Carty, Conway?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Would love to see Murray and Sexton come flying out of the blocks here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'd be really surprised to see Henshaw at 13 in first game back, can't see the sense in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wonder will we see a slimmed down Henshaw ala Aki?

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I like that back row. In fact the only area I'd be concerned with is the centres. Never been sold on Henshaw at 13 for Ireland, particularly not with Aki at 12.

It doesn't really what numbers are on their back they normally switch between positions.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think the centres are a concerned generally to be honest. Aki, Henshaw, and Farrell are all capable players but they all have similar strengths and limitations. The only one who brings something different in Ringrose, and he's been a bit off colour in the warm ups. I'd be slightly concerned about getting decent ball to our wingers with an Aki and Henshaw midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Would have preferred to see Ruddock at 6 and Stander at 8. Conan needs a big game, has never really being able to impose himself at international level as far as I recall.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

Do you think Best can improve his darts? I know it's not all on the hooker but he was way off against England. Would I be right in thinking that unless we sort out our lineout, our chances are quite low for the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Given that team then, Ryan must be calling. That's great, might be just what we need. Hendo tends to call to himself too much.
    If Best messes this up Scannell will be a WC starter.

I'm also not impressed with the Aki / Henshaw combo, it was poor enough in Australia.

• Advertisement

Great back row.....will be interesting to see how Standar does at 6 and finally he has another ball carrier to carry the load

Excited now for weekend game

Win lose or draw I hope to see the combinations working

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Would have preferred to see Ruddock at 6 and Stander at 8. Conan needs a big game, has never really being able to impose himself at international level as far as I recall.

Come the Scotland game POM will be probably back at 6 . Conan stats were v poor against Wales the last day , agree he needs a big game

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Come the Scotland game POM will be probably back at 6 . Conan stats were v poor against Wales the last day , agree he needs a big game

POM stats for Wales game?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Kleyn for MOM it’s written in the stars.

POM stats for Wales game?

Differences is its up to Conan to win a place . Pom is a starter and Joe will stick to that imo

Differences is its up to Conan to win a place . Pom is a starter and Joe will stick to that imo

So you think POM can play bad and not be up for criticism but Conan who my all account had a decent game against wales is open to criticism?

So you think POM can play bad and not be up for criticism but Conan who my all account had a decent game against wales is open to criticism?

Whose accounts are they? He was very average against Wales

Of course his not . Conan was ok at best against Wales . He was the 1 that needed a big game to get in front of Stander .

Of course his not . Conan was ok at best against Wales . He was the 1 that needed a big game to get in front of Stander .

What did he do wrong?

He didn't have any of the breaks he might have in a Leinster jersey but then again he wasn't playing for Leinster. He was aggressive and tackled well. Nothing outstanding but very solid game.

Especially for a pre-season

Our most balanced back row is CJ at 6, JVF or even POM at 7 and Conan at 8....Standarat 8 hasn't worked for a long time and not having two ball carriers is killing us

If that is the team, there is Massive pressure on Best without Henderson, Toner or POM; Kleyn is not a lineout jumper.

• Advertisement

What did he do wrong?

He didn't have any of the breaks he might have in a Leinster jersey but then again he wasn't playing for Leinster. He was aggressive and tackled well. Nothing outstanding but very solid game.

Especially for a pre-season

Our most balanced back row is CJ at 6, JVF or even POM at 7 and Conan at 8....Standarat 8 hasn't worked for a long time and not having two ball carriers is killing us

He gave away a penalty and had no impact in open play. He was very average and any report I saw referred to him as such so don’t know who are referring to about him being very decent by all accounts.

If that is the team, there is Massive pressure on Best without Henderson, Toner or POM; Kleyn is not a lineout jumper.

Kleyn certainly jumps his fair share for Munster and at 6’8” he’s a good target, same height as Ryan.
    Conan at 6’4” is a third option if we need it.
    It will be interesting though, the whole thing of depending on O’Mahony who is only 6’3” was always a weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Kleyn certainly jumps his fair share for Munster and at 6’8” he’s a good target, same height as Ryan.
    It will be interesting though, the whole thing of depending on O’Mahony who is only 6’3” was always a weakness.
    The thing with Peter O Mahony as a jumper is that he is lighter and has great spring so his height isnt really a factor especially where he jumps quite often....

Didn’t realise that he took a fair share at Munster. He’s a big lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

The thing with Peter O Mahony as a jumper is that he is lighter and has great spring so his height isnt really a factor especially where he jumps quite often....

Peter ó Mahony has the highest standing vertical jump of the Irish players to the best of my knowledge

Peter ó Mahony has the highest standing vertical jump of the Irish players to the best of my knowledge

In the England game Toner was throwing him up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

And Ryan to call it well.

And Ryan to call it well.

Was watching Ryan at weekend, he is serious captain material

It was coming up to end of half. If I remember correctly Ireland had penalty. The ref asked what to do and Ryan pointed at sticks....then you hear him saying something, then pointed to sticks again

I think it was around then POM walked over and said they would go for the sticks :p

Ryan the young pup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

In the England game Toner was throwing him up.....

Didn't he have a normal lunch?......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Your point being?
    He found him indigestible......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement