Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

Does it really matter who's selected? No matter who we pick, if our game plan ain't up to scratch, then what difference will it make really? Or am I way off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I do find it amusing that that people completely ignore the fact that Henshaw didn't play 12 regularly until he got to Leinster. The Aki/Henshaw 12/13 partnership won a Pro12 title at Connacht. Coming up he was seen as the natural replacement for BOD in the Irish 13 jersey. Yes he hasn't played there in a while, but it's not like he can't play there.

Not quite.

When came into the Irish team first, he was put at 12. That was two years before he joined Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've three settled centre partnerships going into this world cup, which is quite good really.

Last year it was Ringrose as the undisputed 13 and Aki/Henshaw/Farrell vying for 12. Now it seems Aki is the only nailed on starter out of that bunch. Would be nice if Ringrose was on form as he's by far our best 13 when firing. At least we have options I suppose.

Henshaw is possibly my fourth choice 13

Clegg wrote: »
    We've three settled centre partnerships going into this world cup, which is quite good really.

Last year it was Ringrose as the undisputed 13 and Aki/Henshaw/Farrell vying for 12. Now it seems Aki is the only nailed on starter out of that bunch. Would be nice if Ringrose was on form as he's by far our best 13 when firing. At least we have options I suppose.

I really wouldn't go reading that much into selection. Jordi got a lot more game time than Ruddock but which of the two is going to Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sexton is guaranteed to be injured. It's a matter of when. Depends on timing if someone is drafted in.

When was the last competitive game Sexton was unavailable to play for Ireland due to injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think Henshaw was meant to start at 12 last week but “soreness” meant Aki had to fill his spot unexpectedly.
    I think the Aki-Henshaw pairing for the final warmup was planned from the outset.
    It worked out fine anyway, Henshaw and Ringrose have played enough together, and Aki got to pair up with Farrell instead.
    As someone already touched on, we had 4 warmups and we tried out:
    Farrell-Ringrose,
    Aki-Ringrose,
    Aki-Farrell
    Aki-Henshaw,
    Leaving Henshaw-Ringrose (already seen it enough and possible this weekend if Ringrose replaces Aki during the match) and Henshaw-Farrell or Farrell-Henshaw as another combo that might get a run out in the pool matches.

I think it will be Aki-Ringrose for Scotland, and perhaps Aki-Henshaw against Japan,
    And maybe Farrell-Ringrose against Russia.
    There’s 8 days then to Samoa, and depending how the matches and injuries have gone by then it could be any pairing, but maybe it could be Henshaw-Farrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You could look at the same team-sheets and say we have no settled centre partnerships.

If I had to put money on it, I'd say Joe is leaning towards Aki-Henshaw as his first choice pairing. I hope I'm wrong, I think we need Ringrose's invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ringrose nearly played himself off the plane after the last two outings...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To be replaced by who?

People are always highlighting Ringrose’s form, but apart from Aki last week none of our centres are been firing so far and we don’t know how fit Henshaw is.

The notion that Ringrose nearly ‘played himself off the plane’ is a nonsense because nobody put their hand up to go instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't think we are going to drop our best centre because he didn't have a great day as a sub on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure how?

By all accounts Farrell seemed to be the one lucky to fly

Ringrose is a quality player, attacking one of our best weapons. Defending he is also very clever

These are preseason games and used to get some players up to fitness and some to play them onto or off the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So far Vodafone have done a excellent job, a lot better than when O2 had the contract.....even the swap the jersey when Vodafone took over was a bit of marketing genius :P

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So far Vodafone have done a excellent job, a lot better than when O2 had the contract.....even the swap the jersey when Vodafone took over was a bit of marketing genius :P

Whats this?

• Advertisement

Whats this?

In 2016 you could go into Vodafone with your old O2 Irish jersey and swap it....see below....I know I done it before going to Chicago.....it wasn't free but I think I paid something like 20 or 30 quid and got a brand new jersey

Good news! Vodafone Ireland customers can trade in their old Irish rugby jersey, and get the new one for half the price. To take part in the #TeamOfUs Shirt Swap, just drop into any Vodafone store from Saturday.

To kick things off Donncha O’Callaghan and Eoin Reddan will be swapping jerseys with the first 50 people at the #TeamOfUs Swap Shop on South King St. Dublin tomorrow at 1.30pm. Don’t forget to bring your old jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

He had a poor season and six nations by his standard which may have more to do with it. But it's up to Henshaw and Farrell to actually play themselves in at this point, I still think Aki & Ringrose will be the go to partnership otherwise.

Downlinz wrote: »
    He had a poor season and six nations by his standard which may have more to do with it. But it's up to Henshaw and Farrell to actually play themselves in at this point, I still think Aki & Ringrose will be the go to partnership otherwise.

How he have poor season? He was part of Leinster team which had a good season

From my recollection he played well in 6 nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

How he have poor season? He was part of Leinster team which had a good season
    So if your team does well you are in good form? It's not a reasonable argument. He hasn't bedded in with Aki this year and between them they put in a **** show performance vs England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Downlinz wrote: »

I think there's a bit of recency bias at play here. IMO he largely had a good season, including one of his best ever performances vs Toulouse in the semi final. I did however feel that his form dipped in the last couple of games of the season, although I can't point to any specific games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't think Ringrose has been very good lately and he doesn't attract anywhere the same level of criticism as Aki does for example. I think he gets away with an easy ride compared to a few others to be honest.

Now he's still the nailed on 13 barring injury but he needs to start performing up to his reputation for Ireland to have any joy in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I don't think Ringrose has been very good lately and he doesn't attract anywhere the same level of criticism as Aki does for example. I think he gets away with an easy ride compared to a few others to be honest.

Now he's still the nailed on 13 barring injury but he needs to start performing up to his reputation for Ireland to have any joy in the WC.

Not so sure about that. Henshaw and Aki are playing there this weekend and I think that will be the partnership for scorland

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its ringrose at 13 and one of the other 3 at 12 versus Scotland.

Absolutely none of the other three available have ever done, or are capable to do, what ringrose does in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus these rugby lads get well looked after by the sponsors. Joey Carberrys Instagram showing a gift set he got for the world cup
    https://instagram.com/stories/joeycarbery?igshid=1i51vw4ybwzea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jesus these rugby lads get well looked after by the sponsors. Joey Carberrys Instagram showing a gift set he got for the world cup
    https://instagram.com/stories/joeycarbery?igshid=1i51vw4ybwzea

Dya think? Google hub, key ring, phone charger, portable modem and a moleskin notebook. Everything there probably cost ~300e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

errlloyd wrote: »
    Dya think? Google hub, key ring, phone charger, portable modem and a moleskin notebook. Everything there probably cost ~300e.

there well paid and could easily afford all those things

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    there well paid and could easily afford all those things

:D

I am not sure who is being sarcastic! I think their swag is pretty ****ty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Healy and Kearney posted similar. The country where their from is carved into it. Wonder what it’ll say there for Stander, Aki and Klein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Healy and Kearney posted similar. The country where their from is carved into it. Wonder what it’ll say there for Stander, Aki and Klein!

It will say Ireland. But thanks for the concern

The cars they get are quite the bonus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think they earn their money tbh. It's a tough game, careers can be over in an instant, and the training and playing regime is demanding both physically and mentally too.

If you compared a top rugby career to a top soccer career.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

For anyone who doesn't have Instagram https://storiesig.com/stories/joeycarbery

68842936_2408885739434627_8983595751639738874_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com&se=7&oh=fdb8f979a8512043104aa38e49b43df6&oe=5D74FAEA&ig_cache_key=MjEyNzAyNDYwNTczOTc5NTIxMw%3D%3D.2

The cars they get are quite the bonus

They get cars but they act as ambassadors for XYZ dealer, so Henshaw gets an Audi but does a lot of advertisement for Michael Moore in Athlone Audi

Not like they are handed the car and told off you go.....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah they get a brand new car regularly in exchange for a few photographs. Just one of the perks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They get cars but they act as ambassadors for XYZ dealer, so Henshaw gets an Audi but does a lot of advertisement for Michael Moore in Athlone Audi

Not like they are handed the car and told off you go.....
    Audi Athlone sponsor Buccs as well so handy promo for club as well to tie in with that
    That obviously wont always be case so is extra compared to other players

awec wrote: »
    Ah they get a brand new car regularly in exchange for a few photographs. Just one of the perks.

They do launch events etc for the garage. So new A6 is out and they bring 20 customers down and Henshaw is walking around

Of course a perk....but not as "free" as people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably the same thing they did for Luke McGrath who was born in Canada, or Joey Carbery who was born in Auckland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Scotland 10-9 up on Georgia at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its ringrose at 13 and one of the other 3 at 12 versus Scotland.

Absolutely none of the other three available have ever done, or are capable to do, what ringrose does in that position.

In 15 minutes today henshaw has nailed down the 13 jersey.
    Aki and Bungee will be our first choice midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Best play I’ve seen from Ireland since 2018. Get the line out firing and play like this and we’ll be doing alright.

tumblr_o5zqayVGKG1ts0osto1_400.gif

I presume you mean Aki and Henshaw? I don't agree with you either. Henshaw scrambles a lot in defence at outside centre. Just never looks fully comfortable. In terms of dynamic carrying and workrate he was excellent. Ringrose is still better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wait I’ve lost track. Are we still **** and expecting to lose to Scotland and Japan? These things don’t change very quickly after all.

We were excellent in the second half. Bossed the Welsh up front for the full 40. They're a side that prides themselves on their fitness but we ran them ragged.

I still have concerns about how hard we have to work to score trys though. We had a lot of possession in and around their 22 but couldn't penetrate the Welsh defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I presume you mean Aki and Henshaw? I don't agree with you either. Henshaw scrambles a lot in defence at outside centre. Just never looks fully comfortable. In terms of dynamic carrying and workrate he was excellent. Ringrose is still better.
    100%. The nonsense that is been spouted about Ringrose appears to be looking for problems without seeing what is directly in front of your face. He is getting slow ball and sh1te passes from his halfbacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Rory Best and Joe Schmidt's last home game for Ireland sees Ireland move to the #1 spot in the World Rugby rankings.

What a storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We were excellent in the second half. Bossed the Welsh up front for the full 40. They're a side that prides themselves on their fitness but we ran them ragged.

I still have concerns about how hard we have to work to score trys though. We had a lot of possession in and around their 22 but couldn't penetrate the Welsh defence.

We looked very unorganised at times, all bunched up around the ruck. Still struggling to do much beyond one out runners. Abet against an excellent Welsh defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

We looked very unorganised at times, all bunched up around the ruck. Still struggling to do much beyond one out runners. Abet against an excellent Welsh defense.
    Welsh defense wasn’t that good. Nowhere near there normal intensity.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    100%. The nonsense that is been spouted about Ringrose appears to be looking for problems without seeing what is directly in front of your face. He is getting slow ball and sh1te passes from his halfbacks.

I wonder if we might have seen the template for the World Cup though. Ringrose is our most skilled centre at 12 or 13, but Henshaw, Aki and Farrell are obviously much more physical than he is. Could see Aki and Henshaw for the Boks as we know how much power they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

I really enjoyed that (-5) win! LOL

We've definitely got two more gears.

Bit worried about Sexy, I thought he was deliberately avoided on all first phase ball. He didn't look fit to me :-(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement