Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

^^^ Brilliant :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

So have we all officially calmed down now and realised that the English game wasn't actually the end of the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Just watched match again (without the benefits of beers).

Very happy with how that went. Looks like Earls is okay, too.

Clear that both teams have at least another gear but the Irish lads look very hungry which is always great to see.

We'll definitely have our strongest ever 23 in Japan. We might just have our best ever player in James Ryan. New Zealand? South Africa? Not bothered either way TBH. Bring it on!

And crucially, we look like we are aiming to only be at full gear at 1/4 final stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've made good strides in defence these past few weeks. Ireland counter-rucked very well yesterday. Made more of a concerted effort to disrupt Welsh ball. VdF was particularly effective at it. He's not huge for a backrow, but showed a lot of strength to shove Welsh players out if the way.

Line speed has been so much better too. We're still prone to getting caught out near the touchline, but when Wales played narrower we handled their carriers well. At various times Ryan was leading the defensive rush, catching man and ball and pushing the carrier back 5 metres. Guy is a freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Stolen from Reddit after Ireland took top spot:

8extszcva7l31.jpg

World No.1! I think it’s great because It also moves the whole conversation away from - where is it all going wrong - to - are Ireland really the best side in the world?
    We all know the answer but it’s a welcome change in tone, or narrative....Ireland now have something to hang their hat on after the win.
    Very hard to gauge Welsh commitment levels. But I’m not sure if that was critical when you consider that it was still a strong side and weight up the benefits that Ireland got out of their performance.
    I was at the game and It was clear that the Irish players and staff were delighted with themselves. The body language looked really good and it was a purposeful performance from every Irish player. There was loads of smiles, hugs and backslapping at the end. It was a performance to fillip their confidence. A badly needed and well timed boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Flicked through Connacht Russia game.

Darragh leader must have the best field kicking in Irish rugby. Some boot on him from full back.

Anyway, Russia look very amateur. They were in no way equipped for the Connacht forwards and were repeatedly bullied at the gain line. It was almost tough to watch.

I really don't know what they are doing at a World Cup. They wouldn't be competitive in the Ail. Some of those lads are going to get hurt against a team like Samoa who love contact or just teams as well conditioned as Ireland / Scotland.

Japan similarly are a well drilled and organised team but they struggle to slow South African ball which just gifted the Saffers an easy platform.

If they play like that against us they'll have a tough time. They still might scare Scotland who huffed and puffed at Georgia for 70 minutes before closing out the game.

Georgia would be a lot stronger than Russia though.

It's a shame because Russia seems to me to be a country of rugby potential.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    So have we all officially calmed down now and realised that the English game wasn't actually the end of the world?

It's hard to predict this tournament. NZ beat Tonga by 90 points, but do we consider that meaningless? Would anyone else beat them by 90 points? NZ weren't at their best in the Rugby Championship, but again they were some shadow sides selected in that tournament.

England looked good against us, but we were a game or two behind them when we played them. They huffed and puffed a bit against Italy, lost to Wales and beat them at Twickenham.

South Africa are getting a lot of backing and I can see why. They are a powerful team with excellent half backs and Kolbe is a back of tricks out wide.

Australia beat NZ so clearly can best anyone on their day

We appear to be on an upward curve after a disappointing start to the warm ups, but we are so reliant on Sexton staying fit and have concerns about our line out.

Wales are alright, but the tournament isn't being played in Cardiff so who knows.

Feck it...France will lose to England and Argentina, but somehow squeeze through on points difference and then go on and win playing champagne rugby from the days of Serge Blanco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

bilston wrote: »
    Georgia would be a lot stronger than Russia though.

It's a shame because Russia seems to me to be a country of rugby potential.

They might have some aspects that will make them successful, strong tough people who know a bit about strength training and the perfect “supplements” to use, but frozen pitches and a lack of public interest are hard things to change, with no real government backing it won’t go anywhere.

Clegg wrote: »
    We've made good strides in defence these past few weeks. Ireland counter-rucked very well yesterday. Made more of a concerted effort to disrupt Welsh ball. VdF was particularly effective at it. He's not huge for a backrow, but showed a lot of strength to shove Welsh players out if the way.

Line speed has been so much better too. We're still prone to getting caught out near the touchline, but when Wales played narrower we handled their carriers well. At various times Ryan was leading the defensive rush, catching man and ball and pushing the carrier back 5 metres. Guy is a freak.

I spent the whole match just trying to watch as much as I could of the halfbacks. Murray in particular. Their defense was also the most impressive parts of their games. The amount of involvements Murray has in defense is staggering for a SH. He was everywhere. He definitely has lost power in that pass off his right side. His kicking looked really good and allot better than Sextons. Delighted to see that little grubber from Sexton to Aki. Hopefully we see more of those attacking kicks from him. Both were ok with ball in hand. with the ball but exceptional in defense.

*BREAKING NEWS*

James Ryan has left Ireland's World Cup team.

The Milky Way Galaxy needs him at 4 in The Universe Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Was refreshing to see Dan Biggar tell Raynal that he didn’t ground the ball off the intercept instead of wasting everyone’s time with the TMO. Would like to see more doing it rather than chancing their arm when they no it isn’t down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Was refreshing to see Dan Biggar tell Raynal that he didn’t ground the ball off the intercept instead of wasting everyone’s time with the TMO. Would like to see more doing it rather than chancing their arm when they no it isn’t down

Yeah it was good but if henshaw was to do it in a quarter final we’d be calling him a mug.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah it was good but if henshaw was to do it in a quarter final we’d be calling him a mug.

Only idiots would

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Only idiots would

I was only saying to someone the other day about the Henry handball that if Robbie Keane had done the same we would have called it clever and games manship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Would never have happened in a full-blooded match. Saving his own time so they could get back to doing what they came there to do. An example of a guy more interested in playing rugby than winning a rugby match.

"Was refreshing to see Dan Biggar tell Raynal that he didn’t ground the ball off the intercept instead of wasting everyone’s time with the TMO. Would like to see more doing it rather than chancing their arm when they no it isn’t down"

Highlight of match for me. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

salmocab wrote: »
    I was only saying to someone the other day about the Henry handball that if Robbie Keane had done the same we would have called it clever and games manship.

Don't include me in your "we" please.
    Cheating is cheating is cheating.
    Whether it goes unpunished by the officials or not does not make it any less of an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Only idiots would

If your game plan is to keep a fast pace to tire out the opponents, it makes total sense - on first viewing I thought the ball might have been ripped from him and touched down (for a 22 drop out), which was why he was saying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Hobosan wrote: »
    Real
    Sale
    Seal
    Laser
    Lear

How did you miss “arse”??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I actually thought he lost it forward and so stopped it going to the TMO so that Wales would have put in to the scrum

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Don't include me in your "we" please.
    Cheating is cheating is cheating.
    Whether it goes unpunished by the officials or not does not make it any less of an offence.

No it doesn’t make it less of an offense but my point is when it goes your way you generally don’t mind. I used a big obvious case but cheating happens constantly things like a 9 pulling a jersey or a player in a maul pulling it down are also cheating.

^^^ ??? That sentence doesn't make sense.

*Sorry IrelandRover, I'm not looking for a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

^^^ ??? That sentence doesn't make sense.

*Sorry IrelandRover, I'm not looking for a fight.

If he knocked it on and the TMO checked for a reason not to award the try, he would have seen the knock on and the result is an Irish scrum.

By stoping it going to the TMO it is a Welsh scrum 5 metres out.

He lost it forward in the effort of grounding?

Irish scrum

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

He lost it forward in the effort of grounding?

Irish scrum

I don't think you're quite comprehending what's being said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

bilston wrote: »
    It's hard to predict this tournament. NZ beat Tonga by 90 points, but do we consider that meaningless? Would anyone else beat them by 90 points? NZ weren't at their best in the Rugby Championship, but again they were some shadow sides selected in that tournament.

England looked good against us, but we were a game or two behind them when we played them. They huffed and puffed a bit against Italy, lost to Wales and beat them at Twickenham.

South Africa are getting a lot of backing and I can see why. They are a powerful team with excellent half backs and Kolbe is a back of tricks out wide.

Australia beat NZ so clearly can best anyone on their day

We appear to be on an upward curve after a disappointing start to the warm ups, but we are so reliant on Sexton staying fit and have concerns about our line out.

Wales are alright, but the tournament isn't being played in Cardiff so who knows.

Feck it...France will lose to England and Argentina, but somehow squeeze through on points difference and then go on and win playing champagne rugby from the days of Serge Blanco.
    NZ took of Crotty even though they had used all their subs and so finished with 14 players.
    Sorry if old news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

antietam1 wrote: »
    NZ took of Crotty even though they had used all their subs and so finished with 14 players.
    Sorry if old news.

Actually I think they still had Aron Smith on the bench at the time!

^^ You're probably right.

* I liked what Biggar did because I once trained as a Ref. I thought it would be easy money. 2 X Games on both Sat & Sunday. 60 bucks a pop.

The amount of times a skinny winger would start waving his arms and shouting "TRY" every time there was a breakdown/maul in 22, and then all the mothers and fathers would shout "TRY".

I can see the ball. The parents booed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

^^ You're probably right.

* I liked what Biggar did because I once trained as a Ref. I thought it would be easy money. 2 X Games on both Sat & Sunday. 60 bucks a pop.

The amount of times a skinny winger would start waving his arms and shouting "TRY" every time there was a breakdown/maul in 22, and then all the mothers and fathers would shout "TRY".

I can see the ball. The parents booed me.

Biggar was very clever. Acknowledging in a nothing game that it wasnt a try.

In a more important game where it is less clear, the ref is more likely to believe him when he says try

• Advertisement

Biggar has my respect... for now... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

antietam1 wrote: »
    Sorry if old news.

Hansen confirmed they had used up all the subs and only wanted to run Crotty for a specific amount of time so decided to take him off anyway and not replace

Risk of injury would have been higher if he stayed on and it really didnt matter as they would not lose th ematch and if they did who cared, it was a training match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I didn't realize that Jamie Joseph had signed a lot of the Japanese squad to the Sun Wolves reserve team - so he could have them in camp for the last year or so (and control their game time etc.).

Shout out to Squidge Rugby for those who don't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIL2G5p-Yg

Would recommend Saturdays IT article on Sexton for a read about him in previous WCups. Lots of bits I never heard before.
    One stat surprised me; the amount of games he has played since 2006, 286.

Would recommend Saturdays IT article on Sexton for a read about him in previous WCups. Lots of bits I never heard before.
    One stat surprised me; the amount of games he has played since 2006, 286.

286 games in 13 years is probably par for the course. Although he probably played a fair bit in the two years he was in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Probably is normal enough. What it does disprove is the lazy narrative by those who don’t like him that he’s always injured and doesn’t play enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Probably is normal enough. What it does disprove is the lazy narrative by those who don’t like him that he’s always injured and doesn’t play enough

He played 10 games for Leinster last season, 12 the season before and 12 the season before that.

I think it's a fair enough statement really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

He played 10 games for Leinster last season, 12 the season before and 12 the season before that.

I think it's a fair enough statement really.

The year before racing he played 18 games for Leinster.

Think he is minded and probably not as robust as in the past.

An unreal player though at his peak

Saw Stander and VanGraan in Kildare Village earlier. I didn't see them together - but I've no doubt CJ was passing along vital quarter final information.

I’m sure Felix was in Leiters waiting for the dead drop

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Saw Stander and VanGraan in Kildare Village earlier. I didn't see them together - but I've no doubt CJ was passing along vital quarter final information.

A well know kerry td recently posted what he thought was a funny comment on social media about a well known sporting figure. The end of my story is the td had to make a public apology and give a sizeable donation to charity.

Your comment is not funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

Are the squad likely to train again before departure?

A well know kerry td recently posted what he thought was a funny comment on social media about a well known sporting figure. The end of my story is the td had to make a public apology and give a sizeable donation to charity.

Your comment is not funny

iwJ5iQe.png

iwJ5iQe.png

Which charity will you choose?

RnR wrote: »
    Are the squad likely to train again before departure?
    Probably on the beer and saying their goodbyes to the beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

D14Rugby wrote: »

Nobody ever thought it was. England are excellent. Power, speed, and some skill. Few teams will handle their pack.

What we have learned (or hopefully had learned already from the phyrric victory against France in 2015) is that we have to play this WC smart. From the two wins, and the near miss, we have some chance of beating the All Blacks, and must engineer that quarterfinal as our best means of going where no Irish team has gone before. Hopefully, the ABs beat SA. We then have even longer to rest our 1st team, as the second string are fully capable of ensuring the needed loss to Scotland, without any risk to the health of our prime team. That needless risk in 2015 sunk our chances. This time, the benefit of throwing the Scotland game is even more the smart choice than 4 years ago. We must avoid the fear of hubris, and go strongly for that loss. If SA win, then we will have to gamble somewhat, and play a stronger, though not out and out full team, and hope its enough to beat Scotland. The remainder of the first team to be available on the bench to come on if the Scotts are sticky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think if we played England again now we'd lose again and by a decent margin too.

They have our number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Nobody ever thought it was. England are excellent. Power, speed, and some skill. Few teams will handle their pack.

Go back a few pages to when we were going out in the group stages, the game plan had been worked out the players didn't know what rugby was nevermind how to play it anymore and say that again with a straight face.

The hysteria here for a week was unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

What we have learned (or hopefully had learned already from the phyrric victory against France in 2015) is that we have to play this WC smart. From the two wins, and the near miss, we have some chance of beating the All Blacks, and must engineer that quarterfinal as our best means of going where no Irish team has gone before. Hopefully, the ABs beat SA. We then have even longer to rest our 1st team, as the second string are fully capable of ensuring the needed loss to Scotland, without any risk to the health of our prime team. That needless risk in 2015 sunk our chances. This time, the benefit of throwing the Scotland game is even more the smart choice than 4 years ago. We must avoid the fear of hubris, and go strongly for that loss. If SA win, then we will have to gamble somewhat, and play a stronger, though not out and out full team, and hope its enough to beat Scotland. The remainder of the first team to be available on the bench to come on if the Scotts are sticky.

Not sure if this is a piss take but you're advocating purposely losing to Scotland in the first game so we can purposely engineer a game with New Zealand?

The Lord save us :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think you need to remember what was going on here

If I remember we had posts saying Joe should just go now, let Farrell take over

Everyone had our number and we would not even get past the group

Loads of 2007 references etc etc etc

It was the end of the World for Irish rugby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I hear on the radio that Fiona Coghlan is commentating on 2 of the quarter finals. RTE just can't help but push their feminist agenda.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement