Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    :pac:

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's a huge loss if true. Ringrose is a fantastic player but hasn't looked great in the warm-ups. Aki is playing very well but I'd still like to have Henshaw there for his defence.

But more importantly, we're already losing depth and the tournament hasn't even started yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Losing Henshaw is a blow. We saw in 2015 what losing key names can do to an Irish side. Fingers crossed he's the biggest name to get injured in Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Losing Henshaw is a blow. We saw in 2015 what losing key names can do to an Irish side. Fingers crossed he's the biggest name to get injured in Japan.

We are jumping the gun a bit here.....It hasnt been confirmed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We are jumping the gun a bit here.....It hasnt been confirmed yet

We'll find out in a few hours, hopefully the reports are wrong. Addison being pulled from an Ulster friendly doesn't suggest good news.

• Advertisement

We'll find out in a few hours, hopefully the reports are wrong. Addison being pulled from an Ulster friendly doesn't suggest good news.

Today was first training.....so if it did happen today would they even know for sure now? would they be able to scan straight away?

Addison getting pulled could be a precaution....any doubt no point risking addison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

How long was Henshaw out for after pulling out of the Argentina game in the Autumn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

clsmooth wrote: »
    How long was Henshaw out for after pulling out of the Argentina game in the Autumn?

He was back training around the start of January, so was around 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Schmidt says Ireland waiting on scan for Henshaw later today, they’re hopeful it’s not too bad but likely to rule him out v Scotland. Addison didn’t play for Ulster as precaution but isn’t on way over.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Talks of a tear are premature then... Let's hope it just tightness from over work

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Schmidt says Ireland waiting on scan for Henshaw later today, they’re hopeful it’s not too bad but likely to rule him out v Scotland. Addison didn’t play for Ulster as precaution but isn’t on way over.

Well good news he hasn’t been ruled out yet as per some of the rumours. Although it’s hard to read too much into injury updates at the same time. Not the type of injury/issue you want during a tournament though.

Torrential rain forecast v Scotland. That should mean an Ireland win comfortably. Expected Ireland to win handily anyway but only chance I would give Scotland is their back line clicking, Russell, Hogg etc having outstanding performances. Rain should mitigate that risk significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We'd be hopeful it's not too bad...

Henshaw, earlier today:

1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

At least he's not actually on the way home but until we get the scan we haven't a clue. Based on his recent history, you wouldn't be overly optimistic

At least he's not actually on the way home but until we get the scan we haven't a clue. Based on his recent history, you wouldn't be overly optimistic

Watched the interviews this morning. Going by the body language of Joe and in particular Easterby I don't think it sounds positive but given his bad luck in 2015 I really hope it's a quick recovery time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

https://t.me/c/1207970623/26334

It's a tightness and no more. We'll have to wait and see what the prognosis is.

He's unfortunately quite injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Torrential rain forecast v Scotland. That should mean an Ireland win comfortably. Expected Ireland to win handily anyway but only chance I would give Scotland is their back line clicking, Russell, Hogg etc having outstanding performances. Rain should mitigate that risk significantly.

I don't want a crazy weather situation to add in any wildcard element to the match. I think Ireland have enough to beat Scotland on a fine day and torrential rain can disrupt Irish gameplay just as much as it can disrupt the scots. Hogg can run just as fast in the rain as he can in the dry, and it's harder for the defending backs to turn and chase him if he already has a full head of steam

staurt-hogg-pitch-dive.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There seems to be some sort of deluded thinking. That because we don’t offload all the time, or flash it wide. That wet days somehow suit us. This hasn’t proven to be the case anytime since Joe took over. Wet weather affects our game plan just as much if not more than it does other teams.

stephen_n wrote: »
    There seems to be some sort of deluded thinking. That because we don’t offload all the time, or flash it wide. That wet days somehow suit us. This hasn’t proven to be the case anytime since Joe took over. Wet weather affects our game plan just as much if not more than it does other teams.

As a team that likes to dominate possession wet weather isn’t ideal. That said I doubt either team would want to see wet weather in this case.

• Advertisement

As said I expected Ireland to win handily anyway. But Scotland will likely stick to their expansive game plan even in torrential rain which will make their error count go through the roof.

I didn’t say it suited Ireland, more so that it really doesn’t suit Ireland’s opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Scotland have been poor lately. Rain or sun, we should have too much for them.

The weaker team always prefers the wet.....as I posted already its a long time since Ireland wanted to play in the wet....gone is the bad old days in the 90;s when we hoped the heavens would open and we could slog out a dodgy win....

Scotland can throw the balla round but who cares when they donthave the ball. A wet day means mistakes which will hurt ireland keeping the ball

If it is lashing we will have to change our game plan. Cue people complaining about our limited game plans and we will never win the WC playing like this blah blah blah.....

We are better than Scotland, simple as that. A lovely dry cool day is what we need to hammer that home

As said I expected Ireland to win handily anyway. But Scotland will likely stick to their expansive game plan even in torrential rain which will make their error count go through the roof.

I didn’t say it suited Ireland, more so that it really doesn’t suit Ireland’s opponents.

I wasn’t referring to your post in particular. More the fact every time we play and the weather is going to be bad. People say it will suit us and then we proceed to struggle.

Defending in the rain can often be a nightmare. Yes getting passes to stick is harder but it also creates opportunities for teams who like to play wide. Glasgow quite often manage to play with width even when it’s chucking down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The sensible thing do now is play Farrell, Larmour in the centre for Scotland, as tge most expendable centre options. We cannot risk Aki or Ringer getting injured too. Protecting them with rugs over their knees in the stand is the wiser option, given that winning or losing against Scotland is really a six of one half dozen of the other scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Long term forecasts showing up to 50mm of rain in Yokohama between 9am-9pm ext Sunday. That’s a lot of rain.

75mm from 9pm Saturday to 9pm Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Long term forecasts showing up to 50mm of rain in Yokohama between 9am-9pm ext Sunday. That’s a lot of rain

Forecast has improved on AccuWeather now. Daytime looks ok. Maybe some rain. Fingers crossed!!!

The sensible thing do now is play Farrell, Larmour in the centre for Scotland, as tge most expendable centre options. We cannot risk Aki or Ringer getting injured too. Protecting them with rugs over their knees in the stand is the wiser option, given that winning or losing against Scotland is really a six of one half dozen of the other scenario.

So what is the plan? not play the 15 till the qtr and then hope they magic up some form and match fitness?

Players have to play, keeping the team sitting in the stands in case they get an injury is pointless.Why bother going to WC in first place

They could wrap everyone up in cotton wool and get an injury in training and a player goes home never having played in a WC.....

LEt them play and build up a run of form, then worry about who we face in the qtr's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Henshaw's had his scan, but the results won't be released until Schmidt's press conference at 7am Irish time Monday morning.

Not very encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Hope it's not too bad, Henshaw would be a big loss, especially after playing so well against Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Hope it's not too bad, Henshaw would be a big loss, especially after playing so well against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

We dont want the Japan game to be a must win game either though. A good start and you can rest players for 4 weeks pre quarters. A loss and we have to start the full 15 against Japan and be in tip top shape against the others in case of a surprise. A Scotland victory takes all pressure off until quarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When a post is so ridiculous you think it’s a wind up it’s a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The weaker team always prefers the wet.....as I posted already its a long time since Ireland wanted to play in the wet....gone is the bad old days in the 90;s when we hoped the heavens would open and we could slog out a dodgy win....

Scotland can throw the balla round but who cares when they donthave the ball. A wet day means mistakes which will hurt ireland keeping the ball

If it is lashing we will have to change our game plan. Cue people complaining about our limited game plans and we will never win the WC playing like this blah blah blah.....

We are better than Scotland, simple as that. A lovely dry cool day is what we need to hammer that home

Likely to be fairly warm too if raining.

JJJackal wrote: »
    We dont want the Japan game to be a must win game either though. A good start and you can rest players for 4 weeks pre quarters. A loss and we have to start the full 15 against Japan and be in tip top shape against the others in case of a surprise. A Scotland victory takes all pressure off until quarters

Are you not familiar with TROL’s work?

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Henshaw's had his scan, but the results won't be released until Schmidt's press conference at 7am Irish time Monday morning.

Not very encouraging.

Given how quickly things leak I suspect if he was on the way home or Addison was on the way out we'd hear about it sharpish enough.

Really hope he recovers, not just for our RWC chances but he deserves to have a proper crack at the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Given how quickly things leak I suspect if he was on the way home or Addison was on the way out we'd hear about it sharpish enough.

Really hope he recovers, not just for our RWC chances but he deserves to have a proper crack at the tournament.

He deserves a long run of fitness in general. I'll never forget the run up to Champions Cup final in 2018. Henshaw had been out for ages and only made it back in time for the SF and Final. He was incredible in both games. His ability to recover from injury and play like he hasn't missed a beat tells us about his mental strength and just how good he is as a player.

Give him a full seasons worth of fitness and he'd be one of the best centres in the world. His development as a player has been hampered by the stop start nature of most of the last three seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Addison was buying dog food about an hour ago so still at home.

damianmcr wrote: »

Sounds like he’s stocking up on dog food to me

Fair point. It was a big bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

And this dog....did it look match fit?

Nah it looked like a new puppy possibly. I'm sure he'll have an Instagram post up soon enough. His girl was carrying a doggy bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Pfft...probably a border collie and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think of rugby like driving, you need more skill to win in the rain. Although I think wind or a pitch with no grip completely destroys the game.

Everyone is fast, elusive with great handling on a sunny windless day.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Pfft...probably a border collie and all
    Nah looked like a spaniel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nah it looked like a new puppy possibly. I'm sure he'll have an Instagram post up soon enough. His girl was carrying a doggy bed.

Billy Burns has a video of the pup on his Instagram story.

Jesus I can't wait until the rugby starts if these are the kind of conversations we're having in the mean time.

Aye just seen it.

Sure it wasn’t duck food?

Billy Burns has a video of the pup on his Instagram story.

Jesus I can't wait until the rugby starts if these are the kind of conversations we're having in the mean time.

This is probably the best conversation that’s happened in here in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Addisons new dog surely confirms henshaw isn’t going to be sent home. Only logical explanation to this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement