Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Im now confused. It is Billy's dog. Why would he ask for name ideas and why did Will have it with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

damianmcr wrote: »
    Im now confused. It is Billy's dog. Why would he ask for name ideas and why did Will have it with him?

Nah it's Will's, Billy tagged Will and his missus in the story, and she has a story up too saying he's a new addition to the family.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Addisons new dog surely confirms henshaw isn’t going to be sent home. Only logical explanation to this
    damianmcr wrote: »
    Nah it's Will's, Billy tagged Will and his missus in the story, and she has a story up too saying he's a new addition to the family.

Ok chaps. Put down the internet for the night, ye've had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's only starting....>I think it is time for some ducks

https://www.instagram.com/willaddisonfeedsducks/?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The weaker team always prefers the wet.....as I posted already its a long time since Ireland wanted to play in the wet....gone is the bad old days in the 90;s when we hoped the heavens would open and we could slog out a dodgy win....

.... you must have a selective memory or maybe 6 months is a long time .......:D

.... you must have a selective memory or maybe 6 months is a long time .......:D

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's only starting....>I think it is time for some ducks

https://www.instagram.com/willaddisonfeedsducks/?hl=en

What the ****?

What the ****?

The question is who runs the account....good money on Stockdale......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ok chaps. Put down the internet for the night, ye've had enough.

It's a lovely puppy though Venjur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Henshaw hamstring injury not too bad whatever that means.
    Earls also a doubt for Scotland game.
    Carbery trained today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

ongarite wrote: »
    Henshaw hamstring injury not too bad whatever that means.
    Earls also a doubt for Scotland game.
    Carbery trained today.

They're going to try and get him back for Japan according to RO'C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

troyzer wrote: »
    They're going to try and get him back for Japan according to RO'C

Not exactly optimistic

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1173483118201692165?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Hmm. That's great news. Even a slim chance that he is back for the NZ game is worth keeping him in the squad. The Japan game is only fixture fulfillment rather than a real game, so I wouldn't worry about us seeing him then. The critical thing is that he be fit and training for the knockout series.

Earlsie is a shame, but not a the same level of chances-impacting as the loss of Henshaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

At this stage, we'll be lucky to see Earls feature at all

Just listening to Brina Moore podcast, Craig Chalmers on. Says they can beat Ireland, they can definitely beat Ireland, Ireland are ageing side and they can be found out in WC. It's good for Scotland to have Ireland up first......

THey want to get SA in Qtr's as they have beaten them before.....

IT is funny the confidence these nations bring into WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

At this stage, we'll be lucky to see Earls feature at all

Don't even entertain the thought.

Don't even entertain the thought.

I still think Earls could have a role to play, so wouldnt dismiss him. Larmour is not up to top games yet, and is stagnating a bit like Darcy did after the early promise although was reborn in a new position - Larmour might do similar.
    Stockdale is in, and its Earls or Ringrose, to start/bench after that. Conway, only if one of them, or another centre is injured. Don't write off Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I still think Earls could have a role to play, so wouldnt dismiss him. Larmour is not up to top games yet, and is stagnating a bit like Darcy did after the early promise although was reborn in a new position - Larmour might do similar.
    Stockdale is in, and its Earls or Ringrose, to start/bench after that. Conway, only if one of them, or another centre is injured. Don't write off Earls.

Based on the report that Carbery is in training, but Earls and Henshaw are not,

I'd see a backline of:
    Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Conway, Kearney.
    Bench: McGrath, Carbery, Larmour.

Farrell could also start at 13 and Ringrose to bench instead of Larmour, but I'd see that as less likely.
    Or perhaps next best would be Farrell instead of Larmour on the bench, with Ringrose to cover any back three injuries.

Just as well we brought 4 centres though, Henshaw is a loss but we have enough to cover his absence even with Earls also being out.

Conway is the form winger at the moment so will come in for Earls if he isn't fit.

The Larmour bashing is tiresome.....also completely untrue.

I'd be surprised if Conway started ahead of Larmour because I'm a Leisnter fan.

• Advertisement

England have two players unlikely to feature until the end of the pool stages and seem OK with that.

We've a much softer pool so it's even less an issue for us.

Hamstring problems and knee tendinitis are both proplematic injuries in that the recovery window can fluctuate quite easily.

Did Earls get a bang before he came off against Wales? He'd be a big loss imo, was key for our 2018 run and his absence would heap pressure on Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Occam's razor

Player wants privacy

Player has good chance of recovering before being needed

If he had no or limited chance to recover they'd have his replacement in camp getting upto speed straight away.

Sounds positive to me, logically speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Odd if this is the case.

Makes sense on some level. If he's not fit this weekend, grand, we'll be OK with Aki and Ringrose. We would win the next few matches with Kleyn and John Ryan in the centre.

Maybe Henshaw can't force himself back in for a quarter final, but if he is back fit and Aki or Ringrose goes down, I'd much rather have him in Japan to call upon

If Addison is truly needed, then we aren't winning the world Cup anyway. If there was a chance Henshaw would only be fit for the final, it would be worth keeping him in the squad.

Occam's razor

But Occams razor is lethal poison to online discussion. We don't like his type around here, or his razor.

What's really going with Henshaw is either :
    - he is a hollow shell of a man under pressure from gambling debts
    - he has failed a drugs test
    - his visa to Japan has been found not to be in order
    - he has been throwing dwarves

Clearly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be surprised if Conway started ahead of Larmour because I'm a Leisnter fan.

At least you are upfront and honest about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm hopeful that we won't fall victim to our usual slow start in major tournaments. The final warm up game against Wales saw us play pretty well. We need to continue that upward trajectory. If we do we'll have to much for Scotland.

The big worry is that we start slow and allow their forwards to get over the gainline and their backs quick ball. But if we're anywhere near our best we'll strangle them.

But Occams razor is lethal poison to online discussion. We don't like his type around here, or his razor.

What's really going with Henshaw is either :
    - he is a hollow shell of a man under pressure from gambling debts
    - he has failed a drugs test
    - his visa to Japan has been found not to be in order
    - he has been throwing dwarves

Clearly.

Henshaw only flew over to pick up cheap fags

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm hopeful that we won't fall victim to our usual slow start in major tournaments. The final warm up game against Wales saw us play pretty well. We need to continue that upward trajectory. If we do we'll have to much for Scotland.

The big worry is that we start slow and allow their forwards to get over the gainline and their backs quick ball. But if we're anywhere near our best we'll strangle them.

We have a slow start in 6 nations because it is our first game together. I would hope with the 4 warm up games and the squad together we should be up and ready.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Rob Kearney a doubt now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Redo91 wrote: »

At least they can pop Hensh... - doh.

So Larmour, Stockdale and Conway in the back 3. Still pretty good but not ideal to be missing all these backs. We only have what, 9 or 10 outside backs in the squad and 3 of them are currently injured. If he's fit then Addison needs to be considered pretty sharpish imo.

Feck. And we haven't even played a match!
    This is why the myth of the benefit of match fitness and game minutes needs to be knocked on the head. We cannot risk players in Mickey Mouse games. All 1st team players must be kept away from playing until we come to the NZ game. The benefits of playing do not overcome the risks. No trolling here folks. It's madness for us to play them when we don't need them, and then lose a few before we get to the game that will define the world Cup. Joe understands me, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

This is why the myth of the benefit of match fitness and game minutes needs to be knocked on the head. We cannot risk players in Mickey Mouse games. All 1st team players must be kept away from playing until we come to the NZ game. The benefits of playing do not overcome the risks. No trolling here folks. It's madness for us to play them when we don't need them, and then lose a few before we get to the game that will define the world Cup. Joe understands me, I'm sure.

But training is fine? The same training Henshaw and Kearney have injured themselves at.

Will we just put all 31 in a cryogenic chamber and wake up for the captains run? Or is that too risky....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sure Dave Beasant was out for a few months cause he dropped a jar on his foot, does that mean we should ban them from making sandwiches as well?

Players are always going to pick up injuries, it's how you cope with them is the main thing, in a weird way having a few players "on ice" for the later parts of the tournament isn't necessary a bad thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They were injured in training so this makes even less sense than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Redo91 wrote: »
    Where you seeing this?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They were injured in training so this makes even less sense than usual.

It makes perfect sense. They must train. But they don't have to play, and games are higher risk. If we are loosing them like this just training, the last thing they need is going out needlessly against live opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

We have a slow start in 6 nations because it is our first game together. I would hope with the 4 warm up games and the squad together we should be up and ready.....

I'd hope that the warm-ups have blown away the cobwebs. Ireland are notoriously slow-starting in the 6N, just look at the record over the last few years:

2019 - Completely overpowered by England at home.
    2018 - A last gasp 41-phase piece of magic to beat a poor France team.
    2017 - Scotland win their opening 6N match for the first time since 2006.
    2016 - A poor draw with Wales after being 13-0 up at one point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Oh FFS....this is.... not good. i do not want to see Larmour at FB v Scot. & it prob cant be Conway....JOEY! No. DAMN IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Oh FFS....this is.... not good. i do not want to see Larmour at FB v Scot. & it prob cant be Conway....JOEY! No. DAMN IT!

Overreaction much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

No

• Advertisement

Really? The England romp is a perfect example of a match fit team vs a non-match fit team.

Sanjuro wrote: »

Overreaction much?
    RobK is one of our most important players.
    Who would you play at 15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

RobK is one of our most important players.
    Who would you play at 15?

Conway with Larmour on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

sioda wrote: »
    Conway with Larmour on the wing

This. There are going to be injuries in a world cup. That's what Joe has spent 4 years prepping for. Panicking serves no purpose.

Thats not ideal.
    I think Conway only has 3 or 4 starts at FB last season at Munster.
    Has played at FB for Ireland but that was in 2017 against Fiji and Japan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement