Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Poor Ringrose has gone backwards in the pecking order. He has been poor defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

schmoo2k wrote: »

Why the surprise ? With Kearney either injured or not worth gambling on in a game of such low importance, there is merit in giving Conway the gig. No way could Carbery be risked. Earls has his own issues. And Larmour needed on the wing. Only game in town. Makes perfect sense.

Reckon we'll see Kearney on the team sheet. Larmour and Stockdale on the wings.

Not sure about midfield other than Aki.

We are going to smash Scotland. I'm going to be conservative with 20+

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Reckon we'll see Kearney on the team sheet. Larmour and Stockdale on the wings.

Not sure about midfield other than Aki.

We are going to smash Scotland. I'm going to be conservative with 20+

Joking apart - do you really really believe that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

tmc1963 wrote: »

I think there's a good chance if Scotland fall apart like they have a good potential to, then yes if Ireland execute a game plan that Scotland can't handle, like we're well capable of, then it's well within our reach.

We beat them by 9 points in the Six Nations, and that was without Sexton for the second half and we weren't exactly in flying form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Scotland are poor away from home

Hopefully that hits them and we hammer them, ireland has a lot better record on the road of compared to Scotland and even wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That 6N game last feb means **** all when the ball in kicked or the first time sunday

I'm looking forward too Sunday morning but want it done and over it. The wait is nerve racking and watching the opening ceremony will make the adrenaline run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's a completely pointless game ultimately.

All that matters is the Japan game. You don't want to be caught on the hop by them.

troyzer wrote: »

All that matters is the Japan game. You don't want to be caught on the hop by them.

Exactly. The only goal here is to get through it without adding to the injury list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

troyzer wrote: »

Oh please. Of course it is not pointless - if we can't beat Scotland the whole RWC endeavour will be ****e.

If you mean the score then yeah - I'm certain.

I think there's a good chance if Scotland fall apart like they have a good potential to, then yes if Ireland execute a game plan that Scotland can't handle, like we're well capable of, then it's well within our reach.

We beat them by 9 points in the Six Nations, and that was without Sexton for the second half and we weren't exactly in flying form.

To be fair POM had taken Hogg out illegally so the first try should have been disallowed with POM then in the bin.

If you mean the score then yeah - I'm certain.

If you are 'certain'.... then... welcome to rugby - as someone new to the game you are going to learn some stuff over the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Team according to GT in ITimes

Larmour; Conway, Ringrose, Aki, Stockdale; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Furlong; Henderson, Ryan; POM, VdF, CJ

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Luke McGrath, Jack Carty, Chris Farrell.

Back three could be all at sea against Hogg counter attack.
    I don’t think Scotland put up many Garryowens on the FB. I expect they will try a few testers early on.
    Massive responsibility on Larmour.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Love that forward pack!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Love that forward pack!!!!

It's an unreal team in fairness, the bench shows off impressive depth as well, impact in every position. Can't wait to watch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Back row balance?

Hasn't set the world on fire recently. POM and Stander need a big game here.
    Can't wait for this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hope Larmour goes well at 15. Potentially he can be very good. While we will miss Earls, Conway coming in is no problem as he has probably been one of the form wings anyway.

I'm a bit surprised Conan isn't there, but given the other enforces changes maybe there was a view to keep the pack settled.

So much for Kleyn starting, he's not even on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Surprised no Cronin on the bench for impact.

Front 5 is scary. Big games required from POM and CJ.

Absolutely pumped now. Hope we explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Good pack, decent but not spectacular back line. One concern I would have is that an injury in the back three will lead to a bit of shuffling around and Ringrose moving to a less effective position for him. So hopefully that doesn't happen. Would have much preferred Addison in the 31 to Chris Farrell for this reason.

Keep it tight and go through them rather than around them and we should win by 7 to 10 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Surprised at larmour at 15 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

tototoe wrote: »
    Surprised at larmour at 15 tbh.

Literally no one else available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Literally no one else available.

Could have swapped him with Conway I think is probably the point being made.

Could have swapped him with Conway I think is probably the point being made.

When was last time Conway played 15? Either for club or country?

I’m not sure what the surprise about Larmour is, he is the back up 15 for Kearney both for Ireland and Leinster. He played 15 in the warm up games....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

cmmDQKjXaO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Against Edinburgh towards the end of last season.

Conway has plenty of experience at 15, but he's probably a better option on the right wing because his defense is a strength and the back 3 is probably the only area they can genuinely outmatch us

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Conan comes up shy again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think there's a lot of pressure on POM and CJ to perform.

A back row with CJ at 6 is a very viable option at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

All the noise out of the Ireland camp suggested Carbery would make the bench. Hopefully he's actually fit, but management decided against throwing him into this game cold.

Feel a bit for Cronin. But if the weather is as bad as suggested it probably makes sense to have Scannell in there. Day for solid, set piece oriented hookers rather than bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

bilston wrote: »
    Hope Larmour goes well at 15. Potentially he can be very good. While we will miss Earls, Conway coming in is no problem as he has probably been one of the form wings anyway.

I'm a bit surprised Conan isn't there, but given the other enforces changes maybe there was a view to keep the pack settled.

So much for Kleyn starting, he's not even on the bench.

Is he 15? RTE confusing me. Haven't observed this thread properly this morning to educate myself. Line up suggests Larmour at 15 but text says Conway in for Kearney.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think there's a lot of pressure on POM and CJ to perform.

A back row with CJ at 6 is a very viable option at this stage.

Yes I agree. Also, it’s probably prudent to have POM in there to ease pressure on the lineout for first game. He’s got to produce more outside of setpiece though or he will come under pressure.

I’ve heard one or two mutterings that Conan has been minding his ankle a bit in the warm up games with the plan to be fully healed by middle of group games. If the weather as expected improves as tournament goes on and we get the hard pitches, his running ability at 8 could become a huge advantage.

Hope Larmour goes well. Supremely talented and this could be the making of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Looks like Ringrose hasn’t fallen as far down the pecking order as some might have wanted.

• Advertisement

RTE website... 'but there had been doubts all week over their fitness, with Kearney (calf) and Earls (thigh) replaced by Andrew Conway and Jordan Larmour respectively.'

So who is 15? Line up suggests Larmour.

Part of me would have liked to see us as started against Wales last time: Stander, JVF, Conan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

RTE website... 'but there had been doubts all week over their fitness, with Kearney (calf) and Earls (thigh) replaced by Andrew Conway and Jordan Larmour respectively.'

So who is 15? Line up suggests Larmour.

It's Larmour, the Irish team sheet has him at 15, rte have just made a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Shefwedfan wrote: »

He's still got better instincts for it than Larmour.

On a wet day I'd rather Conway as last man back 100 times over Larmour. That may well be what happens a fair bit on the day

Very disappointed with Joe. That's far too strong a team, and reckless. It's d vu of history repeating itself all over again from 2015. He clearly hasn't learned the lesson, and shame that he risks letting down an extraordinary contribution to Irish rugby with this brain fart. If we lose a few key players from this game, he should be relieved from his post immediately. Our WC will already be over anyway.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    It's Larmour, the Irish team sheet has him at 15, rte have just made a mistake.

Yeah I gather it is Larmour. Hopefully they switch at kick off:D

If you are 'certain'.... then... welcome to rugby - as someone new to the game you are going to learn some stuff over the next few weeks

Scotland have a terrible away record. They lost to USA away last year.

Scotland rarely beat anyone better than Italy away from home. Their best away win recently was Argentina and a draw against a disinterested England.

We rarely lose to them, home or away.

Our 4 domestic teams are at or above the standard of their 2 domestic teams.

I'm not dismissing them on a whim. But the track record points one way.

I also think we looked very impressive against Wales. Gatland was notably annoyed afterwards, Wales really wanted that and looked out of ideas in the second half.

And whilst I think Townsend is a good coach, I don't think he's has good as Schmidt and they've both had a long time to plan for this. I'd back Joe to have planned better.

I reckon 20 points or marginally over.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Looks good to me, really hope we absolutely smash it and a bit of the negativity still floating around lifts. There'll be nare a bit of work done today come 11.15, so glad its finally here! All those who have traveled you lucky feckers, have blast!

Rumour has it Gregor Townsend was spotted in a 7/11 shouting angrily that he couldn't find anywhere that sold square sausage and the original recipe irn-bru, poor man just wants to have his lunch so he can announce the team.

Scotland have a terrible away record. They lost to USA away last year.

Scotland rarely beat anyone better than Italy away from home. Their best away win recently was Argentina and a draw against a disinterested England.

We rarely lose to them, home or away.

Our 4 domestic teams are at or above the standard of their 2 domestic teams.

I'm not dismissing them on a whim. But the track record points one way.

I also think we looked very impressive against Wales. Gatland was notably annoyed afterwards, Wales really wanted that and looked out of ideas in the second half.

And whilst I think Townsend is a good coach, I don't think he's has good as Schmidt and they've both had a long time to plan for this. I'd back Joe to have planned better.

I reckon 20 points or marginally over.

Agree Joe probably has a better plan and approach normally to big games with the roof at Cardiff an exception. Don't think he goes wide enough in tournament matches the same way he approaches test games. Bar some of the 2018 6N games when Stockdale got a brace. Thought the way we were set up against Wales in the last game might have followed through a bit more to this game. Obviously injuries apart.

It's only 2 years ago since we lost to Scotland in Murrayfield with not many chances to play them since. Is this a home or away game for them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Earls must be gutted, he's been class for us for a number of seasons now. He only got 50-odd minutes in the warm-ups as well I think, so I'd expect to see him getting a lot of time in the other 3 pool games if he can shake of the injury.

Agree Joe probably has a better plan and approach normally to big games with the roof at Cardiff an exception. Don't think he goes wide enough in tournament matches the same way he approaches test games. Bar some of the 2018 6N games when Stockdale got a brace. Thought the way we were set up against Wales in the last game might have followed through a bit more to this game. Obviously injuries apart.

It's only 2 years ago since we lost to Scotland in Murrayfield with not many chances to play them since. Is this a home or away game for them?

When Scotland beat us that day, everything went right for them and very little for us. That’s what they need to happen on Sunday. Our pack is far superior to theirs. If the lineout fires I think we will win with something to spare.

I’ve been banging the drum that 2019 has been all about this World Cup. The language from the coaches and players gives me confidence. I think we are ready to go now and even though we are ranked number 1, we are a little under the radar here.

15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs) – 69 caps

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 52 caps
    13. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 23 caps
    12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
    11. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 42 caps

10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 46 caps
    9. Greig Laidlaw VICE CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) – 73 caps

1. Allan Dell (London Irish) – 25 caps
    2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 29 caps
    3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 31 caps
    4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 36 caps
    5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 52 caps
    6. John Barclay VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 74 caps
    7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 27 caps
    8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 45 caps

Substitutes:
    16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 42 caps
    17. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls) – 37 caps
    18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 22 caps
    19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
    20. Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – 2 caps
    21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 27 caps
    22. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 10 caps
    23. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 7 caps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We've played them 7 times under Schmidt and won 6. We all know the time we lost was cos of the delay with the bus, and public transport is exceptionally efficient in Japan. Be grand! ;)

No 10 on the bench for Scotland, which means likely Hogg is the cover there. Overall a fairly weak bench outside of Darcy Graham and Fraser Brown.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement