Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I love the way townsend declares that he wants Scotland playing the fastest rugby in the world, but sticks with a 9 that's anathema to that.

Laidlaw is a good player, but it's just not his style to get to ruck's instantly and zip the ball away immediately. Gladly see him in there ahead of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

When Scotland beat us that day, everything went right for them and very little for us. That’s what they need to happen on Sunday. Our pack is far superior to theirs. If the lineout fires I think we will win with something to spare.

I’ve been banging the drum that 2019 has been all about this World Cup. The language from the coaches and players gives me confidence. I think we are ready to go now and even though we are ranked number 1, we are a little under the radar here.

Only maybe when playing our 6Ns peers. Rest of the World (SH teams) won't look at it like that based on their recent experience of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I love the way townsend declares that he wants Scotland playing the fastest rugby in the world, but sticks with a 9 that's anathema to that.

Laidlaw is a good player, but it's just not his style to get to ruck's instantly and zip the ball away immediately. Gladly see him in there ahead of price.

I've yet to see them play well when Price starts though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Only maybe when playing our 6Ns peers. Rest of the World (SH teams) won't look at it like that based on their recent experience of us.

I'm not so sure. The SH teams will always fancy themselves to perform at the WC (and I'd even include Argentina in that). They have a history of doing it. The reality is only one NH team has even won it. I'm not saying they'd underestimate us, but they would probably fancy their chances moreso than if it was a summer tour or AI game.

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. The SH teams will always fancy themselves to perform at the WC (and I'd even include Argentina in that). They have a history of doing it. The reality is only one NH team has even won it. I'm not saying they'd underestimate us, but they would probably fancy their chances moreso than if it was a summer tour or AI game.

I think we are of the same sentiment if I am reading your post correctly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

stephen_n wrote: »
    Looks like Ringrose hasn’t fallen as far down the pecking order as some might have wanted.

What a bizarre post.

Ringrose isn't in great form clearly, has been a bit weak defensively of late, and is probably a bit fortunate with Henshaw's injury to start.

Goes without saying that he's a creative and gifted player.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Weather forecast has changed again, now it's set to be dry. Not too hot either, 25c at kickoff time: https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/graph/2-1848354/Japan/Kanagawa/Yokohama/Yokohama

I wonder if we'll see a 13-2 defensive system, with Conway dropping into the backfield alongside Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Whatever anyone thinks, that Scottish team is not to be underestimated. I can’t help thinking about the last six nations game that they had against England at Twickenham, when they came back in the second half and they should have won.

With our No1 ranking (which I hate), it will be easy to motivate teams against us. This game sets the tone for the whole group. It is massive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

England had switched off a bit at that time too you have to remember. Whilst not to be underestimated, we really should be beating them and with no injuries or silly cards I can’t see that we won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No 10 on the bench for Scotland, which means likely Hogg is the cover there. Overall a fairly weak bench outside of Darcy Graham and Fraser Brown.

Laidlaw can play 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Happy with team - would have preffered Conan at 8 , and CJ at 6 , but otherwise happy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

pc7 wrote: »
    England had switched off a bit at that time too you have to remember. Whilst not to be underestimated, we really should be beating them and with no injuries or silly cards I can’t see that we won’t.

Hope so. Think it will be very tight myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Earls must be gutted, he's been class for us for a number of seasons now. He only got 50-odd minutes in the warm-ups as well I think, so I'd expect to see him getting a lot of time in the other 3 pool games if he can shake of the injury.

It seems to be more than one injury. The knee appears to be fixed now but he injured his thigh and his back against Wales. Hopefully he gets fit between now and the knockouts as we need him fit and firing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Massive game needed out of POM and Stander. That back row used to fill me with confidence but the only player I would be 100% confident in now is VDF. Really hope they can rediscover form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

So whats the plan for the game if SA beat NZ?

Do we still go to win the group in the hope NZ are undercooked

• Advertisement

Win the group of course. There is not a whole pile between SA and NZ. We will need our best day to beat either of those teams anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

absolutly , this Irish team still needs a few more meaningful victories to re-build confidence, especially before our quater final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Hope so. Think it will be very tight myself.

Agree, but only for the first 60 mins - our bench is looking a lot better (which hopefully will be a recurring theme this WC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The big question is SA could beat NZ, then we throw game and SA game gets cancelled and we are back to square one.....just go and win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hoping that someone will ease my nerves. In our backline, we have an out of form scrum half and 13. A rusty out half. A winger whose defensive frailties were exposed against England. Second choices at 12, wing and full back. 3rd choice out half on the bench. 37 year old hooker with a dodgy throwing arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

If this first half is anything to go by, Japan are overrated.
    They will massively struggle against Ireland

blackcard wrote: »
    Hoping that someone will ease my nerves. In our backline, we have an out of form scrum half and 13. A rusty out half. A winger whose defensive frailties were exposed against England. Second choices at 12, wing and full back. 3rd choice out half on the bench. 37 year old hooker with a dodgy throwing arm.

I'll try. In our backline, we have a scrum half coming back from injury who was considered the best in the world (along with Aaron Smith) prior to it, and a 13 who often draws comparisons to Drico. The reigning World Player of the Year at out half. A winger who has 16 tries in 21 caps. And I reckon Aki is now first choice 12 due to his durability.

And we have, I believe, the best coach in world rugby.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SA beating NZ would be great.....

it would fill that NZ squad with a headful of doubts... and as ive said previously, the way we play is extremely frustrating to NZ and they could implode with the pressure game we put them under.

Our 13 is probably our best football player and close to the best 13 in the world. If his form turns around (and I don't believe it has been as bad as suggested) then we have an upgrade on what our 13 would have been otherwise. Murray looked much better against Wales and Sexton is always minimum 6/10 for Ireland, if not higher. Aki is not second choice at 12. If they drop high balls on Larmour/Conway/Stockdale they will want to hope that they get on the end of them because there will be many a beaten defender if those 3 run enough ball back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It would certainly put a little pressure on us to win the Scotland game in order to avoid SA. It would be a sub-optimal situation for us to face a kick off on Sunday. If NZ win, then we are we are at worst neutral on the outcome against Scotland, and at best, comfortable with a loss.

Not sure I can ease your nerves. That sounds dreadful. Should we learn the art of harakiri while we’re over there or what. As for a 37 year old hooker. You wouldn’t even see that on Benburb st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Looks like Japan aren't even going to beat Samoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dentist Roly Meates

Our 13 is probably our best football player and close to the best 13 in the world. If his form turns around (and I don't believe it has been as bad as suggested) then we have an upgrade on what our 13 would have been otherwise. Murray looked much better against Wales and Sexton is always minimum 6/10 for Ireland, if not higher. Aki is not second choice at 12. If they drop high balls on Larmour/Conway/Stockdale they will want to hope that they get on the end of them because there will be many a beaten defender if those 3 run enough ball back.

Agreed. I’ve seen this several times in rugby where coaches put their best players at 9 or 10. Instead of putting them in roles where their space is limited, opt for competent ones who can deliver that ball in space. I suspect that’s why rugby League hookers act more like Union scrum halves, allowing all backs to operate in space. I would switch Sexton for sure, maybe his recycling has suffered from too much focus on the blindside, when we penetrate on the open side we’re much more effective. Look at England or France for example, they seem to stack the line out and wait for opportunity in the maul, recycle quickly and mount their attack with ball in hand. I’m not sure we can maintain intensity in the same way...but here’s hoping! #irelandscall

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

sydthebeat wrote: »
    SA beating NZ would be great.....

it would fill that NZ squad with a headful of doubts... and as ive said previously, the way we play is extremely frustrating to NZ and they could implode with the pressure game we put them under.

SA and NZ tearing lumps out of each other would suit us best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guysmere

Hi guys,

I just need to offload (see what I did there) about the Ireland squad selection. I've only just started watching rugby recently so apologies if I haven't got the terminology right - you guys all seem to really know what you're talking about. Anyhow, I feel we are light at the back, and not very strong up front. Is there a chance the lads could bulk up in Japan or is it too late? I agree with the comment about the arm of the throwing guy at the line up. I don't understand why he doesn't just throw it with his other arm - I mean he's only throwing it 5 yards!
    Overall the squad doesn't look that good - is there any chance of checking if players from other countries are available?
    I'm really excited about the tournament - I've even got Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England flags. Even though I'm Welsh, I don't really mind who wins. It would just be great if a Northern semisphere team gets to the final.
    Can't wait guys - drive on!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

If we manage to win the group and play South Africa next round,if we win that match,do we then play the winner of Scotland/New Zealand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Gamb!t wrote: »
    If we manage to win the group and play South Africa next round,if we win that match,do we then play the winner of Scotland/New Zealand ?

No we would play winner of qf involving winner of pool d and runner up pool c whoever that turns out to be. Most likely australia

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

guysmere wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I just need to offload (see what I did there) about the Ireland squad selection. I've only just started watching rugby recently so apologies if I haven't got the terminology right - you guys all seem to really know what you're talking about. Anyhow, I feel we are light at the back, and not very strong up front. Is there a chance the lads could bulk up in Japan or is it too late? I agree with the comment about the arm of the throwing guy at the line up. I don't understand why he doesn't just throw it with his other arm - I mean he's only throwing it 5 yards!
    Overall the squad doesn't look that good - is there any chance of checking if players from other countries are available?
    I'm really excited about the tournament - I've even got Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England flags. Even though I'm Welsh, I don't really mind who wins. It would just be great if a Northern semisphere team gets to the final.
    Can't wait guys - drive on!!!!!!!!

You almost had me up until this line. Almost.

CJ struggling a bit in this press conference. Not sure how fair it is to badger him with the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

I'll try. In our backline, we have a scrum half coming back from injury who was considered the best in the world (along with Aaron Smith) prior to it, and a 13 who often draws comparisons to Drico. The reigning World Player of the Year at out half. A winger who has 16 tries in 21 caps. And I reckon Aki is now first choice 12 due to his durability.

And we have, I believe, the best coach in world rugby.

Aki has been now and for some time (18 months) Ireland’s first choice 12

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Would feel a whole lot more comfortable with Addison at 15 over larmour tomorrow he doesn’t posses the skillsof an international 15... nevertheless looking forward to it but am a bit nervous about the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

If we do our usual QF exit then at least it'll be to a Southern Hemisphere superpower as opposed to ****ing Argentina. And who knows, this team might perform better as underdogs (which they have rarely been in the past 2 years) with less pressure on.

I thought he did as well as he could there tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

SA and NZ tearing lumps out of each other would suit us best.
    Indeed, but given that they are not in control of knowing their qf opponent like Ireland will be, they are more likely to play it smart and take it easy. Both want Scotland in the qf, but wouldn't be sure what result can get them that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

cson wrote: »
    If we do our usual QF exit then at least it'll be to a Southern Hemisphere superpower as opposed to ****ing Argentina. And who knows, this team might perform better as underdogs (which they have rarely been in the past 2 years) with less pressure on.

tbf, the Pumas are pretty consistently excellent in the WC

Indeed, but given that they are not in control of knowing their qf opponent like Ireland will be, they are more likely to play it smart and take it easy. Both want Scotland in the qf, but wouldn't be sure what result can get them that.

Inspired. Utterly wrong but still inspired.

It's ludicrous to think that any team can progress without facing a tough opponent even at the group stages.

Both SA and NZ will want to win every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

tbf, the Pumas are pretty consistently excellent in the WC

Yup as their record against us at WCs shows

• Registered Users Posts: 3 guysmere

You almost had me up until this line. Almost.

I don't get you? Just because I don't have the level of knowledge that you do, it doesn't mean you can belittle me. I was hoping for some education on the finer points of the game - I'm sure there are plenty.
    I've done some research since - I now know there isn't a transfer window in rugby, so thanks for the heads up.
    So what about my other points - do you think I should just support Wales or should we all by pushing for a great "Six Nations" triumph in Japan? If we end up with a "Six Nations" final though that would be just crazy!!

guysmere wrote: »
    I don't get you? Just because I don't have the level of knowledge that you do, it doesn't mean you can belittle me. I was hoping for some education on the finer points of the game - I'm sure there are plenty.
    I've done some research since - I now know there isn't a transfer window in rugby, so thanks for the heads up.
    So what about my other points - do you think I should just support Wales or should we all by pushing for a great "Six Nations" triumph in Japan? If we end up with a "Six Nations" final though that would be just crazy!!

Ah give it up, this forum has seen miles better than this **** tier stuff. You need to work on your execution. More subterfuge, make it mildly believable. Do a bit of playing the provinces off one another, talk about the the lack of Amhran Na BhFiann, maybe sprinkle a bit of player poaching from other countries in. You have much to learn padawan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yup as their record against us at WCs shows

World cups if you not clearly the best team / squa rely masssively on timing, fixture list and other games and a lot of luck,

The most important thing is being able to win without having to play blood and guts rugby back to back to back

New zealand are eble to win easy

Ireland usually have to physically dominate to win and requires massive energy demands

If you look at every team in the last world cup they all had impressive one of showings in the knockouts and were spent when it came to the next game bar NZ

We had our blood and guts game against france and were dominated in the next game against argentina when we looked flat and jaded

Argentina had their blood and guts performance against us and were faded and jaded and an average australia who limped past scotland were able to beat them

World cup success requires, Nice fixture list, being able to win easy, luck with injuries, luck with referee decisions and squad depth - anyone in top5 can win this years cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Very disappointed with Joe. That's far too strong a team, and reckless. It's d vu of history repeating itself all over again from 2015. He clearly hasn't learned the lesson, and shame that he risks letting down an extraordinary contribution to Irish rugby with this brain fart. If we lose a few key players from this game, he should be relieved from his post immediately. Our WC will already be over anyway.

You cannot be serious. I have read some nonsensical posts on here but this really takes the biscuit. We should wrap the first team up for four weeks with he hope of getting to a qf and play 15 undercooked players that will get to the tempo of a high intensity international about a week after the full time whistle is blown.
    On Joe learning his lesson he has built a team over four years after identify the lack of squad depth during the last rwc. What more ca n the man do. The depth off the bench for an Irish side bearing in mind we are a small rugby nation is better then any NH team and only bested by NZ and possibly SA. That's including losing high quality guys along the way like Dan leavy, o brien, heaslip Jared Payne. And there is stills guys at home feeling har done buy like Jack McGrath, toner, jordi Murphy, marmion, addison, Ross Byrne. And the 2011-2015 was an ageing team. To do what Joe has done in the past number of years with Ireland without going through a typical transition/rebuilding phase and maintaining the high level that has brought irelands most successful period of rugby ever is something to be admired. And to be saying ****e like he should be relieved immediately from his position reeks of a guy that hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

World cup success requires, Nice fixture list, being able to win easy, luck with injuries, luck with referee decisions and squad depth - anyone in top5 can win this years cup

On this point; England are joint 2nd favourites, but I think their fixture list goes against them. They've Argentina and France as their last 2 pool games. If they can keep Billy Vunipola and Tuilagi fit through that and the knock-out stages, they'll be very strong, but it's a tough ask, given their injury profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Slightly off topic but I got sky tv in a month ago and there doesn't seem to be ITV. Only place to see all the games is eir. Am I paying for that now or is there a hack to get ITV (and the ability to record it) on this box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

mfceiling wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I got sky tv in a month ago and there doesn't seem to be ITV. Only place to see all the games is eir. Am I paying for that now or is there a hack to get ITV (and the ability to record it) on this box?

Try this

https://ekayi.com/sky-channel-codes-all-you-need/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Unfortunately nothing!! It's the new sky q box. Subscription for 2 months to eir by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement