Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    Stop. There’s a real problem for Eire when Sexton finishes. Carbery is so injury prone. He won’t hack it a no1 Eire fly

He's not really injury prone.... Nothing above standard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland will have a problem replacing their greatest ever player in a position? Gee, let me subscribe to your newsletter of incisive insights.

We managed it after O'Driscoll and O'Connell (hell we may have found someone to eventually usurp O'Connell), we'll manage it fine after Sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stop. There’s a real problem for Eire when Sexton finishes. Carbery is so injury prone. He won’t hack it a no1 Eire fly

michael-collins-rea-screenshot1.jpg

Whats that image from

Whats that image from

Right click the image, search Google for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Whats that image from

Michael Collins

Carbery was never a 15. He played 9 at underage, then shifted to 10 for Blackrock and played all his AIL and other games there.

He's a similar player in mould of Beauden Barrett. He's a playmaker, and you try get him into the pitch wherever possible. In his case with Leinster, he wasn't going to supercede Sexton for big games, and with Kearney injured they had a gap at 15 as Larmour hadn't played there yet for them. His first time playing 15 was for the Leinster senior team.

I’m 99% sure on a podcast after the NZ match Carbery was on off the ball with BOD. When asked what position he played he said 15....I can find the podcast but it won’t play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Post World Cup would love to see Ireland copy the Barrett at 15 with carbery at 15. Kearney will be winding down his career and having the second 10 on the pitch offers so much. You have decent options at ten with Sexton still around and carty, Byrne there. Young crop of tens too at all the provinces in Byrne, Johnston, Lowery, Fitzgerald and flannery.

Obviously you could still throw carbery in at 10 when needed, as he’d hopefully play a lot there with Munster. Means you could get a center in the 22 jersey and a back three player.

Sexton is 34 and winding down as well, no point building a new system around him. I presume Carbery will be our 10 and Sexton will be on the bench for his last season or two similar to ROG.

Downlinz wrote: »
    Sexton is 34 and winding down as well, no point building a new system around him. I presume Carbery will be our 10 and Sexton will be on the bench for his last season or two similar to ROG.

Sexton mentioned the next Lions tour a few years back so I would expect him to hang around for that

He has already mentions he expects Joey to take his jersey but he will fight for it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

T minus 12 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sleep is going to be hard tonight

Imagine what it will be like the night before a QF or semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Éire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Fairly nervous myself. Expecting a performance tomorrow. Schmidt is too going by the language he’s been using in parts this week.

Win tomorrow and we can then plan ahead for putting everything into SA. I’ve been of the opinion that people have been getting ahead of themselves with SA a little these past few months.

Ireland have the kicking game to cause them all sorts of trouble. Also think we can get after them at set piece too. Need Henderson to get the lineout right tomorrow but you have to think that given we score a huge portion of our tries from lineout ball, the management must be confident that we will be fine otherwise Dev would be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I’ve been of the opinion that people have been getting ahead of themselves with SA a little these past few months.

Maybe but there's been a definite swing in the oppositite direction of late. Every analyst you hear now thinks we'll lose that game.... should it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Can’t wait for Ireland’s Call to ring out. Hoping CJ and Bundi can fight for us. OT question maybe, but anyone know if this is ranked higher than a test match regards world ranking points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can’t wait for Ireland’s Call to ring out. Hoping CJ and Bundi can fight for us. OT question maybe, but anyone know if this is ranked higher than a test match regards world ranking points?

Yes, double points

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Double points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

We can't go back on top either way. Not until the quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Fairly nervous myself.

Why? Win, we have a tough quarter, lose we have a tough quarter. Apart from a spate of injuries, it's an inconsequential game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Great start! Let's keep it going now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lots of positives today. Our front five was immense and allowed our backrow to wreak havoc. Stander was awarded motm but for me it should have went to one of our locks. I've never seen an Ireland side have second rows with such rounded skillsets. Ryan and Henderson can do everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Clegg wrote: »
    Lots of positives today. Our front five was immense and allowed our backrow to wreak havoc. Stander was awarded motm but for me it should have went to one of our locks. I've never seen an Ireland side have second rows with such rounded siillsets. Ryan and Henderson can do everything.

Henderson was brilliant especially in the first 20 mins. Too many good performances and very hard to call. I would have given it to Best for the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Still all sq in Eng Tonga after 7 mins 😆. Sinckler already playing his part for Tonga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Henderson was brilliant especially in the first 20 mins. Too many good performances and very hard to call. I would have given it to Best for the occasion.

I thought he (Best) merited it on his performance. Massive credit to him for staying the 80 minutes.

I thought he (Best) merited it on his performance. Massive credit to him for staying the 80 minutes.

Didn't he go off for scannell though, and come back on when vdf went off... So technically 73 mins.

Just being pedantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Didn't he go off for scannell though, and come back on when vdf went off... So technically 73 mins.

Just being pedantic

I don't think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

I think Scannell came on for van der Flier and Best played the full 80.

corny wrote: »
    Maybe but there's been a definite swing in the oppositite direction of late. Every analyst you hear now thinks we'll lose that game.... should it happen.

And a huge amount of people and analysts have written us off pre World Cup on the basis of our 2019 ‘form’.

No doubt they have improved from their lows of 2 18 - 24 months ago and they will be a huge threat to us but people very often I think, lose sight of of the bigger picture when looking at games in the run up to a World Cup. They are a huge side but they aren’t the most creative and if you can match them up front then there are lots of ways into the game for Ireland.

Tough game yes but I’d rather them every day of the week if it was a choice between them or NZ.

My bad then, I thought that's what happened, and that's how bowe referred to it after the game

• Advertisement

Delighted and relieved at the same time. I was expecting a performance but you can never be sure.

We absolutely bullied them up front. Henderson and Ryan are a ridiculous lock pairing.

Ringrose and Larmour the pick of the backs for me. Very refreshing to see Murray play so well too.

Our bench is very very dangerous now. It’s a huge weapon.

Only concern is Sexton. Im actually hoping that was a fresh injury and not a reoccurrence of the thigh injury he’s been carrying lately. He looked pretty ok on the bench so hopefully it’s not too serious and we can get him physically right for the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Emperor Joe
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen."

Henshaw isn't expected back for the Japan game, right? With Aki failing a HIA today things are looking a bit dicey for next weekend. We'd be in bother if Ringrose or Farrell get a knock.

It's not enough to send anyone home for a fit replacement. But it's not ideal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You’d assume for Japan Larmour, Stockdale, or Earls could cover 13 to a sufficient standard.

If Joe thinks otherwise then Addison is surely the first cab off the ranks.

Henshaw isn't expected back for the Japan game, right? With Aki failing a HIA today things are looking a bit dicey for next weekend. We'd be in bother if Ringrose or Farrell get a knock.

It's not enough to send anyone home for a fit replacement. But it's not ideal either.

Ringrose and Farrell for Japan I reckon, then might have to make some unusual selections for the remaining games. Carbery at 12 against Russia? Earls at 13? Larmour at 13 even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Delighted and relieved at the same time. I was expecting a performance but you can never be sure.

We absolutely bullied them up front. Henderson and Ryan are a ridiculous lock pairing.

Ringrose and Larmour the pick of the backs for me. Very refreshing to see Murray play so well too.

Our bench is very very dangerous now. It’s a huge weapon.

Only concern is Sexton. Im actually hoping that was a fresh injury and not a reoccurrence of the thigh injury he’s been carrying lately. He looked pretty ok on the bench so hopefully it’s not too serious and we can get him physically right for the quarters.
    Sexton, Aki and POM all looked very relaxed in that cutaway to the bench. Think we might have got away lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who the hell is Mikey Stafford from RTE and how on earth did he give Henderson 6/10 for his performance today?

Ah well game of opinions I suppose

I never bother with ratings, they are very pointless

bilston wrote: »
    Who the hell is Mikey Stafford from RTE and how on earth did he give Henderson 6/10 for his performance today?

Ah well game of opinions I suppose

Thought he was MotM. It's a joke that one of the tight 5 didn't get it anyway.

Tadhg Beirne's test career is so strange. He came back to Ireland on a wave of huge hype and expectation. But we're still waiting for a test performance to justify it.

A good cameo against Australia, a motm worthy performance against Italy B last November and a disasterclass against Wales in the Six Nations, albeit he wasn't the only dreadful player that day. He had 20 minutes in a huge WC game to lay down a marker, and was binned soon after coming on. Ryan and Henderson must start again next week. I just don't see where he fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Tadhg Beirne's test career is so strange. He came back to Ireland on a wave of huge hype and expectation. But we're still waiting for a test performance to justify it.

A good cameo against Australia, a motm worthy performance against Italy B last November and a disasterclass against Wales in the Six Nations, albeit he wasn't the only dreadful player that day. He had 20 minutes in a huge WC game to lay down a marker, and was binned soon after coming on. Ryan and Henderson must start again next week. I just don't see where he fits.

Ryan and Henderson can be rested against Nippon. Kleyn and Beirne will suffice.

• Advertisement

Ryan and Henderson must start again next week. I just don't see where he fits.

He fits in in games where we don't need Ryan and Hendie. Second string games. He must start next week. Imagine if he had to start against SA!!!

That sin bin was so harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

I thought Beirne was extremely unlucky to be sin binned. I said it in the match thread but Barnes for me is liable to give close calls at the breakdown to a side get walloped. I thought Beirne won the ball clean but at the very least it was debatable enough to rule out it being seen as a cynical penalty and worthy of a card. Had the decision gone the other way the narrative would probably be all about Beirne's ability to produce pressure relieving turnovers off the bench when we're under the cosh.

He did produce one thumping clear out after McGrath pounced on a loose ball. It looked like a turnover was odds on but he came out of nowhere to blow the Scot out of the ruck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That sin bin was so harsh

Given the context of the attack I'd have been calling for a yellow card if the roles had been reversed.

Ryan and Henderson can be rested against Nippon. Kleyn and Beirne will suffice.

Japan are our biggest test left in the group. For that we need our best players on the pitch. Starve them of the ball, beat them up front and dominate at set piece. That's Henderson and Ryan's game.

For the remaining fixtures we can mix and match players where needed and rest most of our top line players for the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd like to see some mixing and matching over the next 2 games. This idea of a first string team and a second string team needs to start being done away with. Yes some guys are clearly ahead of others, but if we can generate real competition for places then that's exactly what we should be doing. Not just now, but going forward after this RWC too.

Best played a full 80 today so shouldn't be playing vs Japan. Sexton might need the break too. We'll have at least 1 or 2 of Carbery, Henshaw, Earls & Kearney back who will need game time. POM and Aki could well be out as well. We might be forced into certain selections based on injury, VDF might have to play for example. But guys like Kilcoyne, Porter, Ruddock, McGrath etc should be well able for Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd like to see some mixing and matching over the next 2 games. This idea of a first string team and a second string team needs to start being done away with. Yes some guys are clearly ahead of others, but if we can generate real competition for places then that's exactly what we should be doing. Not just now, but going forward after this RWC too.

Best played a full 80 today so shouldn't be playing vs Japan. Sexton might need the break too. We'll have at least 1 or 2 of Carbery, Henshaw, Earls & Kearney back who will need game time. POM and Aki could well be out as well. We might be forced into certain selections based on injury, VDF might have to play for example. But guys like Kilcoyne, Porter, Ruddock, McGrath etc should be well able for Japan.

I think we will make changes next week

Kilcoyne Scannell Furlong
    Henderson Ryan
    Stander Ruddock Conan

Murray Sexton
    Stockdale Farrell Ringrose Earls
    Kearney

Healy Cronin Ryan Kleyn VDF McGrath Carty Larmour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Had a chuckle when Harrison said something along the lines of he'd made an explosive start to his test career. I'll never understand how Dillane got dropped tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

molloyjh wrote: »

I can see the whole front row changed along with maybe 2 more in the pack. Maybe 1 halfback and 2 in the back 5. I think Joe will have decided in advance that all going well on day 1 that there will be a good few changes week on week so almost everyone arrives at quarter final stage with 1 or 2 starts and a Bench or two too.

Japan are our biggest test left in the group. For that we need our best players on the pitch. Starve them of the ball, beat them up front and dominate at set piece. That's Henderson and Ryan's game.
    Biggest, but does still doesnt mean they our in our league
    Id rest all todays starters bar those whobhave play due tge injuries of others. Our seconds can handle Japan easy. Todays crew need a week off. Kleyn and Beirne are more than good enough for them. And unlike some positions, are a long way behind the first choicers, meaning we cannot waste too players on such an easy game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement