Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thought Farrell also put in a great shift on 2nd viewing. Puts the "wrong farrell" nonsense well and truly to bed now.

Ryan and Henderson by far and away the two best players on the pitch and Conan was very good too.

Think the backrow we had in 2nd half is our best backrow too.

I wonder will we see Henderson and Ryan rested v Russia with Ruddock covering there especially given the short turnaround between games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Biggest, but does still doesnt mean they our in our league
    Id rest all todays starters bar those who have play due the injuries of others. Our seconds can handle Japan easy. Todays crew need a week off. Kleyn and Beirne are more than good enough for them. And unlike some positions, are a long way behind the first choicers, meaning we cannot waste too players on such an easy game.
    Trol... Japan are not that weak. We should beat them but it wont be that easy
    Need to get some more guys game time and then can rest for some of the other games before the quarter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

80% of live matches that I watch. Ireland lose.
    I did the team a favor today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Any word on knocks etc?

I think Porter gets somewhat overshadowed by the once in a generation brilliance of Furlong.

He's had a couple of really impressive moments the last few weeks and he is incredibly powerful. Even caught wrong footed he doesn't really offer up any gainline at all, it's quite something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Any word on knocks etc?

It's 3am there now! I'd say we won't get any word until later tomorrow because I think they're travelling to the next place right away. Definitely won't hear about POM and Aki until after that anyway so they can do the standard HIA stuff

It's 3am there now! I'd say we won't get any word until later tomorrow because I think they're travelling to the next place right away. Definitely won't hear about POM and Aki until after that anyway so they can do the standard HIA stuff

What was the issue with POM, muscle strain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What was the issue with POM, muscle strain?

HIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Porter gets somewhat overshadowed by the once in a generation brilliance of Furlong.

He's had a couple of really impressive moments the last few weeks and he is incredibly powerful. Even caught wrong footed he doesn't really offer up any gainline at all, it's quite something.

I was only watching on a small screen and crap stream, but did he Odell Beckham the heck out of a lineout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Any word on knocks etc?

O’Mahony and Aki failed the level 1 assessment immediately after they were hit.

Displayed no symptoms after the game and the expectation is they’ll be back in the minimum time allowable under return to play protocols (think Joe said 6 days) so basically out for next game but fine.

Everyone else is absolutely Gucci including the Sex bomb.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I was only watching on a small screen and crap stream, but did he Odell Beckham the heck out of a lineout?

Yeah there was an overthrown ball and Porter channeled his inner Jack O’Shea and plucked it out of the clouds.

O’Mahony and Aki failed the level 1 assessment immediately after they were hit.

Displayed no symptoms after the game and the expectation is they’ll be back in the minimum time allowable under return to play protocols (think Joe said 6 days) so basically out for next game but fine.

Pros rtpp is 6 days minimum but if they fail any stage then can be longer like if they fail after 5th day when reintroduced to contact then player goes back to the first stage and its another 6 days before they can play again

More of this please.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

bilston wrote: »
    Who the hell is Mikey Stafford from RTE and how on earth did he give Henderson 6/10 for his performance today?

Ah well game of opinions I suppose

He's the guy who thinks that Russel Hogg is a person, according to that article.

We were so alert today but some long standing issues still in play.

Our quick scrum pick and go that led to Furlongs try, Stander did brilliantly to get the ball out so swiftly and clandestinely, it was another example of frustrating Scotland by not doing the obvious. My issue though is that Farrell had a clear run in had Stander popped the ball to him before contact.

Instead we recycle and I'm pretty sure POM gets his head injury with the next carry. Furlong scores next phase but we could have saved ourselves two breakdowns by being a little more aware.

The All Blacks at their absolute best close off those opportunities more consummately, but we do look very close to that level of consistent situational awareness and good decision making that made them the best team in the World for so long.

• Advertisement

We were so alert today but some long standing issues still in play.

Our quick scrum pick and go that led to Furlongs try, Stander did brilliantly to get the ball out so swiftly and clandestinely, it was another example of frustrating Scotland by not doing the obvious. My issue though is that Farrell had a clear run in had Stander popped the ball to him before contact.

Instead we recycle and I'm pretty sure POM gets his head injury with the next carry. Furlong scores next phase but we could have saved ourselves two breakdowns by being a little more aware.

The All Blacks at their absolute best close off those opportunities more consummately, but we do look very close to that level of consistent situational awareness and good decision making that made them the best team in the World for so long.

I don't think you can coach that out of players at this stage, Stander is almost always going to look for contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I was delighted to see our perkiness late on, with Carty and Farrell on the pitch. Farrell impressed me again, his out the back of the hand pass was a joy, and he took a gorgeous line to make big yards too. Carty's got a really good running game as well.

And Jacob is going to produce something remarkable in this tournament. Another Stockdale Special today, just didn't quite come off.

I see Gavin Cummiskey in the Irish Times gave Aki, O’Mahony and Sexton all 5’s with the main basis seeming to be they went off injured.

Seems a bit braindead, injuries are a reality in rugby you can’t knock someone for putting their body on the line.

Not that it’s important really, just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Out of curiosity- who is ranked number 1 now Ireland or NZ?

andymx11 wrote: »
    New Zealand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

andymx11 wrote: »
    NZ apparently https://www.world.rugby/rankings/mru?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Beating SA counts for more than beating mighty Scotland, apparently.

davedanon wrote: »
    The world number 1 v 2 final is still on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Of course it does but there’s less weighting on beating a team by less then 15 (like NZ did) or more than 15 (like Ireland did) so was just wondering.

Because South Africa were close enough to New Zealand for it to really count in that game. We were very far ahead of Scotland on rankings so us winning would have made little difference to rankings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Think those rankings are post-NZ game but pre-Ireland game, as they say updated today but I checked them immediately after the match this morning and they were as they are now.

If so, we beat Scotland by more than 15 points plus the points exchange counts double at RWC so we should be back on top?

In any event while it's nice to point to the top area of a rankings chart it shows long term consistency only and can't be reliably used to account for the short term. It should be paid relatively little heed.

Chill out and enjoy the next few weeks and don't be worrying about ranking points.

We'll be undisputed by early November.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Think those rankings are post-NZ game but pre-Ireland game, as they say updated today but I checked them immediately after the match this morning and they were as they are now.

If so, we beat Scotland by more than 15 points plus the points exchange counts double at RWC so we should be back on top?

In any event while it's nice to point to the top area of a rankings chart it shows long term consistency only and can't be reliably used to account for the short term. It should be paid relatively little heed.
    We gained some points for beating Scots but not enough to be ahead of NZ in the rankings

Chill out and enjoy the next few weeks and don't be worrying about ranking points.

Undisputed what though? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sdanseo wrote: »

If so, we beat Scotland by more than 15 points plus the points exchange counts double at RWC so we should be back on top?.

No, we could not have retained top spot either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Venjur you are like a big ball of beautiful positivity this weekend. It’s great after reading weeks of doom and gloom (not from you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Positive injury update coming from camp it seems

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby-world-cup-2019/2019/0923/1077574-sexton-omahony-and-aki-on-course-to-face-japan/

Ireland have given a positive injury update ahead of next weekend's second World Cup match against Japan.

The IRFU said Peter O’Mahony and Bundee Aki both passed phase two of their head injury assessment and will undergo HIA3 this afternoon, so could still be available for selection on Saturday.

Johnny Sexton suffered a bang to his thigh but is also expected to be available to play Japan, while Robbie Henshaw is back running and will re-join organised training this week.

Josh van der Flier got stitches to a cut over his eye before suffering from cramp late in the game, with Niall Scannell replacing him in the back row.

Tighthead prop Tadhg Furlong "received running repairs on-field" but Ireland say his second-half replacement was tactical.

The Ireland squad move south to Hamamatsu today by bullet train, where they will be based in the run up to Saturday's clash with host nation Japan in Shizuoka.

Uriel. wrote: »

I think we'll rotate somewhat, quarter final availability will be the deciding factor when selection of key players is being considered for Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Think the backrow we had in 2nd half is our best backrow too.

I can only assume you mean the below backrow.

6. Niall Scannell,
    7. Chris Farrell
    8. Jack Conan

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

is_that_so wrote: »
    Undisputed what though? ;)

Raeburn Shield holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wonder how much we will rotate for Japan, and the two following games.

6 day turnaround to Japan.
    5 day turnaround to Russia
    9 day turnaround to Samoa

8 day turnaround to our QF assuming we win the group.

I'm guessing we will want to go fairly close to full strength for Samoa, to get the players back in the groove for a QF.

Second String for Russia

Some rotation for Japan.

My team for Japan (6 changes)

Larmour, Conway, Ringrose, Farrell, Stockdale, Carbery, Murray
    Kilcoyne, Scannell, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, Stander, Conan, Van der Flier

Subs: Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Kleyn, Beirne, McGrath, Sexton, Earls

Best - Rested
    Kearney, Earls, Henshaw, POM, Aki, Sexton - not risked

Not risking the players who picked up knocks against Scotland or who are coming back from injury.
    But there is a seriously quality bench, in case the game isn't going to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Uriel. wrote: »
    Positive injury update coming from camp it seems

It's good that no one is actually on a plane home but otherwise, all injury updates are to be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Surely John Ryan will be involved for the Japan game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sexton should be wrapped in cotton wool, even to the quarter final if necessary. Carty should start v Japan. Carbery on the bench, ease his way back in

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Sexton should be wrapped in cotton wool, even to the quarter final if necessary. Carty should start v Japan. Carbery on the bench, ease his way back in
    And go in to our key game of tournament completely cold without game in weeks? No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Sexton will get a an hour against Russia and then he will be kept in wraps until SA . Although I didn’t think he was great yesterday . If Joey comes in and shoots the lights out and Sexton is only half fit we might see Joey start against SA . Carty was excellent also when he came on .

And go in to our key game of tournament completely cold without game in weeks? No chance.

I said, if necessary !!! it is all depending on how bad his groin is. He was not even taking the kicks in the second half in case he strained it, they hauled him off early for a reason. He is crucial to the success of the team. By all means give him a half against Russia if it means sharpening him up, but we would have to do something badly wrong to not make a quarter final now, he will be protected even if he does not play to the quarters. Why risk straining that groin in a game v Japan or Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just stick Furlong and Henderson in front of him as bodyguards. Be grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Gonad wrote: »
    Sexton will get a an hour against Russia and then he will be kept in wraps until SA . Although I didn’t think he was great yesterday . If Joey comes in and shoots the lights out and Sexton is only half fit we might see Joey start against SA . Carty was excellent also when he came on .

We won't.

I said, if necessary !!! it is all depending on how bad his groin is. He was not even taking the kicks in the second half in case he strained it, they hauled him off early for a reason. He is crucial to the success of the team. By all means give him a half against Russia if it means sharpening him up, but we would have to do something badly wrong to not make a quarter final now, he will be protected even if he does not play to the quarters. Why risk straining that groin in a game v Japan or Russia.
    And he's only played 120 minutes so far this season. If you dont do anything with him before quarter how will that be good for us in our most important game. Why risk going into a quarter final against a South African side that will be very tough with our key 10 going in quite undercooked?
    Of course we're going to make quarters now so everything is based now around winning that and you need Sexton to be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think when we end up in the final against New Zealand they should ignore the haka by going into a huddle for it. It is the only response to it that might throw them off their game ever so slightly.

It could be that small percentage of a difference that helps us beat them on November 2nd. The only time we have won against them was when they did the 8 for Foley in Chicago.

So in my view, we are essentially one huddle away from being Rugby World Cup Champions. :D

Without the huddle, we will be runners up sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

We beat them in the Aviva 10 months ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think when we end up in the final against New Zealand they should ignore the haka by going into a huddle for it. It is the only response to it that might throw them off their game ever so slightly.

It could be that small percentage of a difference for us beating them on November 2nd. The only time we have beaten them was when they did the 8 for Foley.

So in my view, we are essentially one huddle away from being Rugby World Cup Champions. :D

We also beat them in the Aviva last November.

It could be that small percentage of a difference that helps us beat them on November 2nd. The only time we have won against them was when they did the 8 for Foley in Chicago.

That wouldnt throw off the Kiwis and no chance we would do that
    And we beat New Zealand in Dublin as well.

And he's only played 120 minutes so far this season. If you dont do anything with him before quarter how will that be good for us in our most important game. Why risk going into a quarter final against a South African side that will be very tough with our key 10 going in quite undercooked?
    Of course we're going to make quarters now so everything is based now around winning that and you need Sexton to be playing.

He did not look undercooked v Scotland? You need him fit for that knock out game. Sexton is well used to coming in with little game time. The quarters are the key, beat SA or NZ in a knock out scenario and it is then time to dream. Listen, he might play v Japan and Russia, I hope that he does, but the main focus in managing him is now with the quarters in mind.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement