Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ozzyo

Someone was telling me today that there is a suspicion our sluggish play has been due to the squad bulking up big time before the tournament. The thought process behind it was that for the first month when temps and humidity are sweltering the players would be losing a lot of weight, meaning when the knock outs come around, the squad are the optimum size and strength to perform in the slightly cooler late Oct temps.

He said its common in cycling for high endurance racers to start out a little too big knowing they will lose most of it during the race.

Na, that sounds ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"there is a suspicion our sluggish play has been due to the squad bulking up big time before the tournament."

No, there is not. It is a fact that a lot of "weight" was cut by the Irish squad.

The situation still remains the same. Beat New Zealand or South Africa to reach the semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Except that you can see clearly that some of the players have lost weight. Aki is a prime example, said himself lost about a stone. Furlong looks leaner. Less bulk to move around in these conditions. Yet we look underpowered, even to the Japanese. I think we like NZ and Australia have made the wrong choice. I think England's bulk, power will see them over the line.

It could be the optics of the o carrolls jersey though.

We're not playing a style that takes advantage of being leaner and faster, it's highly attritional. It works for NZ because they look to move the ball and run far more than we do. We're trying to be physically dominant against teams that are bigger than we are. Madness imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We're not playing a style that takes advantage of being leaner and faster, it's highly attritional. It works for NZ because they look to move the ball and run far more than we do. We're trying to be physically dominant against teams that are bigger than we are. Madness imo.

We have had less rucks than before, more off loads than before and passing more.....all in this WC

We are moving the ball more than ever.....watch the Scotland game, first 20 mins in Japan and first 30 in Russia

The game plan is evolving.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We have had less rucks than before, more off loads than before and passing more.....all in this WC

We are moving the ball more than ever.....watch the Scotland game, first 20 mins in Japan and first 30 in Russia

Yeah it certainly is evolving but probably too slowly or started too late. Should be peaking at the World Cup, not starting to see changes

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Yeah it certainly is evolving but probably too slowly or started too late. Should be peaking at the World Cup, not starting to see changes

Should be peaking in Qtrs....not in group

Should be peaking in Qtrs....not in group

I’d love that to happen but think there’s serious pressure on the players now thanks to to poor run.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's all as good as you say how come we are so utterly unconvincing and struggling to get out of the easiest group in the tournament?

Adjust the green/blue tints for once.

I’d love that to happen but think there’s serious pressure on the players now thanks to to poor run.

This year
    L
    W
    W
    W
    L
    W
    L
    W
    W
    W
    W
    L
    W

Doesn't look like a poor run to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think the Samoa game will give us a good idea of where we are. An almost fully fit squad, a long rest since the last day, an opposition who should be tricky but ultimately inferior. We don't really have many excuses.

If we can put them away with conviction I'll be happy enough going into the QFs.

Just need a bit of help from Scotland and the weather to avoid NZ and the hype train can start up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I wonder if Ireland will play a B team if the Scotland game gets cancelled?

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/world-rugby-set-to-cancel-both-england-v-france-%26-japan-v-scotland/620970

This year
    L
    W
    W
    W
    L
    W
    L
    W
    W
    W
    W
    L
    W

Doesn't look like a poor run to me
    Reading any comments on line or media, you’d swear it was a melt down. Look results have been good but form has left a lot to be desired, so yeah it’d call it a poor run. There’s been so much negativity since the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Think itll be a relatively strong team named. Team will be announced before they make the call on Scotland game anyway.
    I'll go with something like.

Larmour, Earls, Stockdale.
    Henshaw, Aki.
    Sexton, Murray.
    Healy, Best, Furlong.
    Henderson, Ryan.
    Beirne, van der Flier, Stander.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If they play Nanai-Williams at 15 I hope we drop bombs on him all day.....

Reading any comments on line or media, you’d swear it was a melt down. Look results have been good but form has left a lot to be desired, so yeah it’d call it a poor run. There’s been so much negativity since the six nations.

Going into the Wales game we could have won the 6 nations......:eek:

Still you would swear we won the wooden spoon with the carry on of the press and some posters in here......

I can't see Japan v Scotland being definitely cancelled tomorrow. Tomorrow is Thursday, game is Sunday, the typhoon could weaken or change direction in that time, it would be mad to call it off now. Likely we'll just hear contingency plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There’s possibly been an over reaction but acting like we are going along grand is equally bizarre. We were beaten comprehensively by the only two high calibre teams in the six nations and beaten by Japan in the World Cup. It’s definitely been a poor run.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If they play Nanai-Williams at 15 I hope we drop bombs on him all day.....

Because he's so entertaining with the ball in hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There’s possibly been an over reaction but acting like we are going along grand is equally bizarre. We were beaten comprehensively by the only two high calibre teams in the six nations and beaten by Japan in the World Cup. It’s definitely been a poor run.

Welsh result is 7 months ago at this stage. Yes it was a poor 6N especially after winning the GS the year before but bar Japan game have had a maximum return of 2 tbp wins. Hopefully we get another one at weekend and push on from there.

Because he's so entertaining with the ball in hand?

Cos he's a slight, flaky full back who can be rattled easily.... I'd love see some competition between him and Stockdale in the air...

But he's also entertaining with ball in hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Eod100 wrote: »
    Welsh result is 7 months ago at this stage. Yes it was a poor 6N especially after winning the GS the year before but bar Japan game have had a maximum return of 2 tbp wins. Hopefully we get another one at weekend and push on from there.

Hopefully but hope has replaced the confidence that would have been there last year in relation to Ireland’s performances. I’m sure there has been an overreaction, I haven’t followed the media too closely, but the facts are that Ireland currently look a long way off their best, and have done all year.

If they can get back close to that best, which despite all he has achieved, would be close to being Schmidt’s finest achievement yet they will give anyone a game.

Some of the posts on here are needlessly negative but on the other side some look a bit deluded in their optimism implying that all is going to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Think itll be a relatively strong team named. Team will be announced before they make the call on Scotland game anyway.
    I'll go with something like.

Larmour, Earls, Stockdale.
    Henshaw, Aki.
    Sexton, Murray.
    Healy, Best, Furlong.
    Henderson, Ryan.
    Beirne, van der Flier, Stander.

Pick the strongest team we can. Which to be fair is close to the above. Personally I'd look to start Ruddock at 6, but that isn't going to happen, so POM at 6. Centre is a tough call, but given Ringrose has started loads of games recently I'd probably go with your pairing assuming Henshaw is fit. I don't think there is an obvious pecking order between the three of them anyway.

Hard to see Kearney not being at 15.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

We're out of options. We have to go full on and with the strongest team and subs available.

Fail to win big and it's over.

The loss to Japan was an iceberg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We're out of options. We have to go full on and with the strongest team and subs available.

Fail to win big and it's over.

The loss to Japan was an iceberg.

We don't need to win big. We just need 4 trys. After that points difference doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

sydthebeat wrote: »

Cos he's a slight, flaky full back who can be rattled easily.... I'd love see some competition between him and Stockdale in the air...

But he's also entertaining with ball in hand ;)

Stockdale’s aerial skills - He’s a big man but does he have good aerial skills?
    I haven’t seen Ireland utilise him in the air and often seen him struggle defending the high ball

We don't need to win big. We just need 4 trys. After that points difference doesn't matter.

Well, playing well enough to rack up a big score is badly needed.

If we get the bare minimum of what we need, it's not going to do much for squad confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Well, playing well enough to rack up a big score is badly needed.

If we get the bare minimum of what we need, it's not going to do much for squad confidence.

I really don't think it works that way. That's a fan's way of looking at things. YOU will feel confident if they beat them 50-0. The team won't give a sh*t, as long as they come out with 5 pts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Rumour is that henshaw won’t be risked.

davedanon wrote: »
    I really don't think it works that way. That's a fan's way of looking at things. YOU will feel confident if they beat them 50-0. The team won't give a sh*t, as long as they come out with 5 pts.

This is completely at odds with pretty much everyone else in the world, but I guess there's no such thing as a wrong opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

This is completely at odds with pretty much everyone else in the world, but I guess there's no such thing as a wrong opinion.

So every other Irish fan on here, not to mention all Irish fans everywhere, are saying only a thumping, multi-try bonus-point win against Samoa will do to restore collective faith in Ireland's campaign, are they?

Must have missed that memo.

But then there's no such thing as a wrong opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gordon-d-arcy-ireland-need-johnny-sexton-s-body-to-hold-up-for-crunch-games-1.4044103

"Hi. My name's Gordon D'Arcy. You may remember me from such teams as Ireland and Leinster. You know who's crucial to Ireland? Sexton, Henshaw, Ringrose. Did I mention I was a back from Leinster? Sexton. Leinster. Lovely."

GT in ITimes reporting the starting XV
    Larmour; Earls, Henshaw, Aki, Stockdale;
    Sexton, Murray;
    Healy, Best, Furlong;
    Henderson, Ryan;
    Beirne, VdF, CJ.

Reps: tbc

“It transpires that Rob Kearney was also managed in training in the early part of the week so Jordan Larmour...”

Really like the look of that team.
    Samoa have attacked allot of ruck ball and it’s great to see Beirne in there with VdF.
    Possibly indicating a Ruddock, POM & CJ for the QF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

So if the Scotland japan game is cancelled we can only get second place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    So if the Scotland japan game is cancelled we can only get second place?

Correct

GT in ITimes reporting the starting XV

I don't see that on the website, wonder if it was pulled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

techdiver wrote: »
    Correct

I’m not sure if first or second is all that important to be honest, a bit like a man united supporter wondering weather it’s better to play Liverpool or man city! If we can play to our best we have a decent chance of beating either AB or SA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm
    Nigzcurran wrote: »
    techdiver wrote: »
    Correct

I’m not sure if first or second is all that important to be honest, a bit like a man united supporter wondering weather it’s better to play Liverpool or man city! If we can play to our best we have a decent chance of beating either AB or SA

Yeah. Except the All Blacks will have had two weeks off.

It's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't see that on the website, wonder if it was pulled?

I wonder if the cancellation of the New Zealand game means they're going to throw caution to the wind and put out a 2nd XV?

• Advertisement

So if NZ game cancelled does that mean SA can jump them totopspot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm

It's a joke.

I honestly don't think our chances of beating BNZ are materially altered by how many days off they have (provided they have at least a 5 day turnaround).

We will be circa 1/6 against them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

So if NZ game cancelled does that mean SA can jump them totopspot?

Nope.

BNZ took top spot by one point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

padser wrote: »

It's a joke.

I honestly don't think our chances of beating BNZ are materially altered by how many days off they have (provided they have at least a 5 day turnaround).

Have you watched rugby before? Having an extra week off with no chance of injuries or suspensions is probably bigger than any tactical gap.

You saw how we struggled against Japan and Russia with the shorter turn around.

The All Blacks will be swanning around while the Irish players are getting battered by islanders with a point to prove.

It has a huge material effect.

The points have already been awarded if anyone wants to check the tables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

padser wrote: »

Ah c'mon, it has a huge impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I'm

It's a joke.

Yeh. They were going down, and they knew it, but this extra weeks off puts them back in the driving seat. Joes has to go with a pure second string for Samoa now to try to even things back as far as possible. Hopefully the Scotland game is cancelled, then we can just go for a jog and let Samoa have their win.
    Anyone know is there a minimum number of players you have to field for the game to continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

No Rhys Ruddock in the 23?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yeh. They were going down, and they knew it, but this extra weeks off puts them back in the driving seat. Joes has to go with a pure second string for Samoa now to try to even things back as far as possible. Hopefully the Scotland game is cancelled, then we can just go for a jog and let Samoa have their win.
    Anyone know is there a minimum number of players you have to field for the game to continue?

Hahahahaha

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    No Rhys Ruddock in the 23?

Saving him for starting the QF at 6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement