Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm

Yeah. Except the All Blacks will have had two weeks off.

It's a joke.

Yeh. They were going down, and they knew it, but this extra weeks off puts them back in the driving seat. Joes has to go with a pure second string for Samoa now to try to even things back as far as possible. Hopefully the Scotland game is cancelled, then we can just go for a jog and let Samoa have their win.
    Anyone know is there a minimum number of players you have to field for the game to continue?

Aside from the obvious troll attempt.

If Samoa win, we go home.

That's the cruelty of this whole thing, we still have to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I wonder if the cancellation of the New Zealand game means they're going to throw caution to the wind and put out a 2nd XV?

No because we would still need a tbp win in case Japan game goes ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Eod100 wrote: »
    No because we would still need a tbp win in case Japan game goes ahead

That's why I said throw caution to the wind. Take advice on whether that game will go ahead and if they think it won't then put out a 2nd team in order to keep your guys fresh.

As it stands, given the 1st team was picked, we're facing an unbelievably difficult uphill battle now. World cup effectively over barring heroics in a quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Aside from the obvious troll attempt.

If Samoa win, we go home.

That's the cruelty of this whole thing, we still have to play.

They won't though. One pt is good enough for us. Losing one. Or get 4 tries up in the first 20 mins, then just stroll and watch Samoa win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I don't see that on the website, wonder if it was pulled?

Good old print edition

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's why I said throw caution to the wind. Take advice on whether that game will go ahead and if they think it won't then put out a 2nd team in order to keep your guys fresh.

As it stands, given the 1st team was picked, we're facing an unbelievably difficult uphill battle now. World cup effectively over barring heroics in a quarter final.

Would there be any repercussions to put out a team vastly different to the one named??

Think it would be a fairly unnecessary risk though. Decision is being made on Sunday to see impact of typhoon. It wont be known in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Ah lads the typhoon stuff is a bit irritating but lets face it, if we were top of the group we'd be more than happy with the matches being cancelled.

Obvious weather issues aside, we didn't do good enough and now we (rightly or wrongly of act of godly) need to pay the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Would there be any repercussions to put out a team vastly different to the one named??

I'm not sure they'd actually do anything beyond a public slap on the wrist but I'd say there's zero chance of that happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Full strength apart for POM, Kearney and Ringrose.

Should be a handy win, I can see Sexton getting smashed a good few times though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

clsmooth wrote: »
    No Rhys Ruddock in the 23?

Was the team announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Was the team announced?

About an hour ago. Mk saying Kearney, POM and Ruddock were carrying some niggles at start of the week but all ran today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Very harsh on Ruddock to not even bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Very harsh on Ruddock to not even bench.

Or else he's being held back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Henshaw needs to hit the ground running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Or else he's being held back.

It'd be the exception if that's the case. We've pretty much went full strength everywhere else, where possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rumour is that henshaw won’t be risked.

Gotta love rumours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Saving him for starting the QF at 6

Strongest starting 15 plus subs picked.

Ruddock doesn't feature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I'm

Yeah. Except the All Blacks will have had two weeks off.

It's a joke.

The Springboks will have had a 12 day break before they play in the QF.

• Advertisement

Saw a rumour much earlier in the week that Ruddock was injured. Think Schmidt made some comment this morning about him not training. He'd a great chance of starting the QF imo, considering how average/poor POM has been, but that's most likely gone now without playing this match I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Saw a rumour much earlier in the week that Ruddock was injured. Think Schmidt made some comment this morning about him not training. He'd a great chance of starting the QF imo, considering how average/poor POM has been, but that's most likely gone now without playing this match I reckon.

dont you mean "has some soreness"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Apologies in advance because I assume this has been asked but..

Scot/Jpn game cancelled means even with a BP win we can't top group because of H2H or is it point difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭KBurke85

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Scot/Jpn game cancelled means even with a BP win we can't top group because of H2H or is it point difference?

Correct Japan will top group on head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Ireland having to play an extra game and risk injuries and fatigue against a New Zealand team with extra rest is a death sentence to our world cup,

Also means we have to beat both England and New zealand to get to the final....not good

P.Walnuts wrote: »

H2H. Japan would be 16, that's max we can get but they would go through on H2H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So, basically, South Africa, New Zealand, France and England have nearly 2 weeks rest and preparation for the quarters.... I'd love to hear what Cheika and Gatland had to say about that....

So, basically, South Africa, New Zealand, France and England have nearly 2 weeks rest and preparation for the quarters.... I'd love to hear what Cheika and Gatland had to say about that....

Surely fairest is to cancel Ire, Aus, Wales and Japan/Scotland games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Eod100 wrote: »
    Surely fairest is to cancel Ire, Aus, Wales and Japan/Scotland games.

If Japan vs Scotland gets cancelled the fairest thing to do would be to declare Ireland vs Japan a draw and take the top 2 from the other results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why do you want Japan to qualify. I think it's a travesty that they got to host the tournament. The humidity and the weather in general is not conducive to good rugby.
    Why wouldn't France host it, they've hosted loads of great sporting tournaments. Perfect conditions and stadiums.

Nah, not buying that. Japan was about the money, a bit like Qatar on a smaller scale perhaps. The conditions in Japan are not good for rugby. It should never have went there on those grounds.

Got pounced on for these comments from some rugby regulars on here. Games being actually cancelled merely illustrates the original point still further.

An absolute disgrace that Japan got this tournament. Qatar 2022 has come in for plenty of criticism (and rightly so as well) as a decision based on money and not good for quality football or for the players that play in the tournament.

I Haven't heard the same amount of criticism of the rugby authorities' similar error in their choice of the venue for this event. The rugby fraternity have a way of circling the wagons against criticism especially if it's from an outsider like a soccer person.

They still got this woefully wrong though. A desperately poor decision to take the money and give this event to Japan.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

Let's not forget, if we had not screwed up and actually beaten Japan, we'd be on 15 points with Scotland and Japan batling it out for second place. We would have been putting out a second string team and having a long rest before the quarter finals.
    Also, would NZ not have been putting out a second string against Italy? So they would have been rested anyway. We have no excuses and no one else to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Got pounced on for these comments from some rugby regulars on here. Games being actually cancelled merely illustrates the original point still further.

An absolute disgrace that Japan got this tournament. Qatar 2022 has come in for plenty of criticism (and rightly so as well) as a decision based on money and not good for quality football or for the players that play in the tournament.

I Haven't heard the same amount of criticism of the rugby authorities' similar error in their choice of the venue for this event. The rugby fraternity have a way of circling the wagons against criticism especially if it's from an outsider like a soccer person.

They still got this woefully wrong though. A desperately poor decision to take the money and give this event to Japan.

I dont disagree with the decision to award to Japan, but there is a question of schedule in the calendar. This is the worst time of year to run it.
    As for humidity not making for good rugby, i dont buy that as a reason not to move the event. It is a world game, it cant just be staged for the benefit of countries in temperate climates.
    As for the decision being about money, yes it is. Its about growing the game which is partly about money and partly about sustainability. Japan was the next obvious market and the US is the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Let's not forget, if we had not screwed up and actually beaten Japan, we'd be on 15 points with Scotland and Japan batling it out for second place. We would have been putting out a second string team and having a long rest before the quarter finals.
    Also, would NZ not have been putting out a second string against Italy? So they would have been rested anyway. We have no excuses and no one else to blame.

If ifs ands and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas. Who gives a **** about something that didn't happen? We have to respond to the situation in front of us.

I dont disagree with the decision to award to Japan, but there is a question of schedule in the calendar. This is the worst time of year to run it.
    As for humidity not making for good rugby, i dont buy that as a reason not to move the event. It is a world game, it cant just be staged for the benefit of countries in temperate climates.
    As for the decision being about money, yes it is. Its about growing the game which is partly about money and partly about sustainability. Japan was the next obvious market and the US is the next.

That adds up to the same mistake.

This is the time of year that they have in their calendar to hold the Rugby World cup. The alternative was to rearrange the whole Rugby calendar just to facilitate it being held in Japan, like FIFA are doing with Qatar. No it shouldn't have been held there at all, full stop. They took the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wonder would all of these teams even want rest? Nz won't have played a meaningful game since day 2 of the tournament come QF time, that's not ideal either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

In a weird way, I'm delighted for Ringrose.

That fella has played an insane amount of Rugby and has really picked up the slack with Henshaw and Farrell being injured.

And to his credit, he has performed very well. Deserves a good break.

I'll see how Henshaw gets on but he has a history of hitting the ground running.

I still think Henshaw Ringrose would be our strongest midfield for the QF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Awarding the tournament to Japan would not have been more financially beneficial to World Rugby than the alternatives.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Awarding the tournament to Japan would not have been more financially beneficial to World Rugby than the alternatives.

How do you know?

Even if that was the case and they did primarily to try to spread the game to non traditional countries, it was still and has now without any doubt proven to be the wrong decision. A woeful error by World Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If the Irish and japan game gets called off, who goes through?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

If Scotland and Japan's roles were reversed and Japan needed to beat Scotland to qualify there's not a hope that game doesn't get played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

If the Irish and japan game gets called off, who goes through?

Japan. As group winners. How convenient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Turns out Joe is now a fully converted Tadgh Beirne fan!
    https://www.the42.ie/beirne-ireland-ruddock-henshaw-schmidt-4845378-Oct2019/

or that Ruddock was “a little slow to pick up” LOL

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Japan. As group winners. How convenient!

Whereas in playing both games scenario, assuming Ireland get a tbp win, Japan would need 2 points to do so. So draw, lbp and a tbp or win. It wouldn't look great at all at all. Whatever about the other 2 matches being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

...not to mention that the Scot Jap game is potentially going to be a cracking match to watch (with vested interest)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How do you know?

Even if that was the case and they did primarily to try to spread the game to non traditional countries, it was still and has now without any doubt proven to be the wrong decision. A woeful error by World Rugby.

World Rugby receive the same fee no matter the bidding country and the TV rights would be less for a world cup in Japan than either South Africa or Italy due to the timezone.

Bringing the world cup to Japan is not the issue - games have been cancelled in European competitions multiple times -the lack of sufficient contingency planning from World Rugby is the issue.

Anyway, this is for another thread. Absolute pain that Ireland still have to go all out against Samoa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Great. All the apologists for the inevitable QF slaughter by NZ will have a ready made excuse to hand.

NZ have played 3 games and a good long rest and Ireland have to tackle the not insignificant task of taking on Samoa. There will inevitably be injury concerns next week.

Beating Samoa is not a foregone conclusion by any means and another squeaky bum 80 mins lie ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Turns out Joe is now a fully converted Tadgh Beirne fan!
    https://www.the42.ie/beirne-ireland-ruddock-henshaw-schmidt-4845378-Oct2019/

or that Ruddock was “a little slow to pick up” LOL

Ruddock is a great player, but what this team is short on is turnovers. If Ruddock had that string in his bow (which I haven't seen), he's be the complete back-row.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

Sanjuro wrote: »
    If ifs ands and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas. Who gives a **** about something that didn't happen? We have to respond to the situation in front of us.

Well we do because we wouldn't give a sh1t about the weather if we had performed to any sort of standard.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    World Rugby receive the same fee no matter the bidding country and the TV rights would be less for a world cup in Japan than either South Africa or Italy due to the timezone.

Bringing the world cup to Japan is not the issue - games have been cancelled in European competitions multiple times -the lack of sufficient contingency planning from World Rugby is the issue.

Anyway, this is for another thread. Absolute pain that Ireland still have to go all out against Samoa.

It is the issue. At this time of the year it is absolutely the issue. A calamitous error to award the World Cup to Japan at this time of the year given the prevailing conditions. World Rugby is either bent or totally incompetent.

The loss to Japan is becoming increasingly important

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement