Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's still time before the quarterfinal.
    Recall Hayes to restore the pashun of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

glasso wrote: »
    Cringey Vodafone ads in fairness.

Good start today would make things so much easier and that's what Ireland will obviously be trying to do.

Majority of ads are cringey but the main point is to get a theme or catch phrase across to public....Vodafone’s has worked.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

At the point where I'm not sure if I'll bother watching this.

Understand. There isn’t even a match thread

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Majority of ads are cringey but the main point is to get a theme or catch phrase across to public....Vodafone’s has worked.....

Lol if I said black was black you'd try to disagree.

Tiresome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I'm not sure what the point of the competition is if future results are now tainted.

While they cannot press that button while we are in the middle of it, once the dust settles, and after a few years, one can certainly see this world Cup being struck from the records books, medals recalled, etc. Its not as if there can be a 'worthy' winner now anyway. Its just a case of going through the motions now for the technical fulfillment of commercial contracts, TV payments, Vodafone adds, etc.
    I could see whoever is coerced into lifting the trophy treating it with embarrassment like an player wanting to remove his man of the match medal almost before its around his neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think tomorrow will be close and the bonus point is a serious tall order for us

If we get off to a good start we should do it. I fear for Us though if Samoa get off to a promising start in q1. The pitch will not help either obv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Fully expect us to win convincingly tonight and give us hope going into the QF against SA after tomorrow night's result. Come on Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Going to miss the start with kids training.

This game is just setup to fail. If it's ultra physical and we take knocks we'll be talking about the teams getting a free ride. If the surface does a player in similarly it's just more negativity about an already heavily tainted tournament.

I don't see any good news story coming from this game. If we hammer them so what, they're no great shakes.

Jesus christ. Different breed.

Who gives a bollox what you do? If you're bothered enough to be on here whinging hours before the game, id say it's a good bet you'll be watching when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Going to miss the start with kids training.

This game is just setup to fail. If it's ultra physical and we take knocks we'll be talking about the teams getting a free ride. If the surface does a player in similarly it's just more negativity about an already heavily tainted tournament.

I don't see any good news story coming from this game. If we hammer them so what, they're no great shakes.

Someone resuscitate that man...

In the meantime I'll post what I think he'd otherwise like to say...

Sharp performance by Ireland coming up, BP secured by halftime and no injuries.

Wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Time to be upbeat - Ireland v Japan in the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

No match thread?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Understand. There isn’t even a match thread

Not sure that's such a bad thing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

No match thread?

Says a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Looking forward to this now - if we come out injury free then we are probably better of having another "warm up" match (even if we only squeak a BP).

I really hope the Scottish match tomorrow goes ahead, its going to be a cracker.

Also the one thing we are really good at, is pulling an upset out of our arse when no one expects it (QF), but we are very poor at following it up a week later (SF).

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    Lol if I said black was black you'd try to disagree.

Tiresome

I agreed with you and said ad is cringey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have to laugh at Eddie Sullivan. He has an answer for everything now that he’s a pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That fella cummiskey in the IT is some tool.

“What we witnessed on Thursday just before Larmour spoke to a print huddle ahead of his return to the 15 jersey against Samoa seemed at best weird, at worst plain wrong.

A peek behind the curtain is rare, but there was Schmidt – seconds after his own press briefing – relaying instructions to young Irish players.....

Here is a free bird caged by the Irish system and a departing coach’s overwhelming authority. Rugby by Schmidt numbers used to work – maybe it will again – but perhaps the greatest tutor he’ll ever encounter, a masterful scribbler of attacking moves, has become an overbearing coach.”

Get on with some actual reporting and journalism.
    Miserable

“What we witnessed on Thursday just before Larmour spoke to a print huddle ahead of his return to the 15 jersey against Samoa seemed at best weird, at worst plain wrong.

A peek behind the curtain is rare, but there was Schmidt – seconds after his own press briefing – relaying instructions to young Irish players.....

Here is a free bird caged by the Irish system and a departing coach’s overwhelming authority. Rugby by Schmidt numbers used to work – maybe it will again – but perhaps the greatest tutor he’ll ever encounter, a masterful scribbler of attacking moves, has become an overbearing coach.”

Miserable

Ever since Joe stopped a lot of the interviews the press have it in for him...any chance they will nail him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

the pitch looks awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

What will happen if they world cup final itself has to be called off due to a typhoon. Will that be deemed a draw too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    What will happen if they world cup final itself has to be called off due to a typhoon. Will that be deemed a draw too?

Knockout games can be rescheduled as under the rules, unlike group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

kuang1 wrote: »
    Someone resuscitate that man...

In the meantime I'll post what I think he'd otherwise like to say...

Sharp performance by Ireland coming up, BP secured by halftime and no injuries.

Wait and see.

Venjur??
    Come out from behind the couch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Knockout games can be rescheduled as under the rules, unlike group games.

There's not really anything in the rules that prevent any game being rescheduled. Just rules covering what happens if a game doesn't take place on the day its scheduled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Miserable
    Larmour looks pretty bloody good today.

More egg on the face for Cummiskey.

Clegg wrote: »
    Larmour looks pretty bloody good today.

More egg on the face for Cummiskey.

A good few posters on here will be back tracking.....

People calling for him not to travel, was no good at 15 etc....he has had an great WC so far.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

so these points could be very important, perhaps 60?

Good performance for the first 55. But as soon as Sexton went off there was a big dip. I don't think Carbery played well despite laying on the kick for Conway's try. Much like Carty against Russia, they don't seem able to impose structure on the way we play.

The pack as a whole were excellent today. Larmour, Stander and Sexton were the standouts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Good performance for the first 55. But as soon as Sexton went off there was a big dip. I don't think Carbery played well despite laying on the kick for Conway's try. Much like Carty against Russia, they don't seem able to impose structure on the way we play.

The pack as a whole were excellent today. Larmour, Stander and Sexton were the standouts today.
    Tbh I don’t think either carbery or carty are best suited to play in a rigid Schmidt system. Both are flair players who thrive in open games

Yeah it's a bit of a worry, similar to the Russia game, once Sexton is off the pitch it's a different team out there altogether.

• Advertisement

You would almost think that Ireland had planned to peak for the Qtr finals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

So now Aki's world cup is over, are we allowed to call Addison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Tbh I don’t think either carbery or carty are best suited to play in a rigid Schmidt system. Both are flair players who thrive in open games

They're just not remotely as good as Sexton. That's our big problem and it's going to get worse as Jonny ages.

connachta wrote: »

Addison's injured is he not? And we can't replace a player who was red carded, only injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Aki will be back for the final.

Addison's injured is he not? And we can't replace a player who was red carded, only injured.

So Henshaw 12 Ringrose 13?
    Or Farrell 12 Henshaw 13?

Ringrose has been our best player in this tournament. He can't not play against New Zealand or South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭knockon

Can anyone explain how Japan top the pool if they finish on 16. We are ahead on points difference and bonus points

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The final is within three weeks, but love your enthusiasm

• Advertisement

Won't be less than 3 weeks.. And no more than 5 I hope on a Connacht European POV

knockon wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how Japan top the pool if they finish on 16. We are ahead on points difference and bonus points

Head to head record against us.

Lavanini got 4 weeks and Quill got 3 weeks. So likely he'd miss it. But probably equally likely he'd be home by then anyway!

Head to head record against us.

IRFU has to back Scotland for their pressure on IRB
    All in all the potential cancellation is the worst for us, not them

Scotland won't pass QF. We could if it's not N-Z

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

IRFU has to back Scotland for their pressure on IRB
    All in all the potential cancellation is the worst for us, not them

Scotland won't pass QF. We could if it's not N-Z

Ireland won't have any say at all in that situation

It's just another example of where the competition has been completely wrecked by this typhoon. Aki suspended in our 4th game misses a potential game against a rested team who only played 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

It’ll be interesting to see who starts at 12 next week, with Ringrose at 13. Farrell has been brilliant all World Cup and thought henshaw was poor today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

knockon wrote: »

Because they knocked the **** out of us two weekends ago.

Assuming we're playing New Zealand, the team that beat New Zealand last time we played them was

Kearney, Earls, Ringrose, Aki, Stockdale, Sexton, Marmion;
    Healy, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, POM, VDF, Stander

We'll be similar enough next weekend. Aki, Marmion and Toner won't be there. Henderson and Murray clearly fine replacements/improvements but I wonder what they'll do in midfield. Henshaw looked extremely rusty at times today but Farrell seems to be MIA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Wegians89 wrote: »

They're just not remotely as good as Sexton. That's our big problem and it's going to get worse as Jonny ages.
    And Joey will get better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If we do play NZ, I’m clinging to this:

Every time in the past 2/3 years I have seen them against Northern Hemisphere opposition, they have looked vulnerable (Ireland, England, Scotland, Lions).

Of course, they still won most of those games, but I’d expect it to be tight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement