Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

1192193194195196198»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Our game plan is fairly tailor made to combat NZ, maximise possession and apply brutal pressure on defense. Now if we could actually apply it, we'd be flying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The only spots I see up for grabs are numbers 20 and 23 assuming no injuries. I just don’t see them making changes to what’s been the status quo for the last while

Healy Best Furlong
    Henderson Ryan
    POM Stander VdF
    Murray Sexton
    Stockdale Henshaw Ringrose Earls
    Kearney

Scannell Kilcoyne Porter Beirne Ruddock/Murphy McGrath Carbery Conway/Larmour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

They're just not remotely as good as Sexton. That's our big problem and it's going to get worse as Jonny ages.

Yeah I agree, we can spend all the time we want debating their merits and shortcomings - but ultimately there is a huge gulf in class between them.

Tbh, PJ is the only Irish out half close enough in current ability to Sexton to allow the team to function reasonably well in Sextons absence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Joey will do just fine
    He’s short of match time and will improve greatly.
    He is going to be a WC 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

padser wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, we can spend all the time we want debating their merits and shortcomings - but ultimately there is a huge gulf in class between them.

Tbh, PJ is the only Irish out half close enough in current ability to Sexton to allow the team to function reasonably well in Sextons absence

Suspicious username tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thought the commentary on eir made a good point that JS commands everything when he's on field and there's a deafening silence in terms of game management when he goes off.

CM is also good at this but when both come off who else is there?

We saw this against Russia in the second half and to a lesser degree today.

That said, great result, well done to the boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

padser wrote: »

That's why he was third choice in the last world cup?

He was decent but it's not like he had achieved a lot in his early career, a good tour to south africa, no medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »
    It’ll be interesting to see who starts at 12 next week, with Ringrose at 13. Farrell has been brilliant all World Cup and thought henshaw was poor today

I think it all depends on where we finish in the group. It was Henshaw's first game back, and before today he had only played 80 minutes of rugby since May 25.

For SA, I could potentially see a Henshaw/Farrell 12/13 partnership, although it'd be criminal to leave Ringrose out considering he's one of our best players so far in the tournament, but they would probably be a better match physically for De Allande and Am.

Ringrose is among the untouchables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If he, Aki and Henshaw were available, I wouldn't think so, it could be any combination of the three. But of course we won't have Aki for the QF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t agree with that, was looking before he shares injury that henshaw and Aki were the preferred two. Obviously once again that decision will be taken out of Schmidt’s hand, so it’ll be up to everyone to decide their own two first choices.

If he, Aki and Henshaw were available, I wouldn't think so, it could be any combination of the three. But of course we won't have Aki for the QF.

Ah he is. Been our best player this WC
    If Aki and Henshaw were fit it would be a toss up between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Feel sorry for Aki, don’t think there was much he could have done. He’s had an unlucky tournament, started off great against Scotland before getting the head injury. Was on a hiding to nothing against Russia where he dropped the ball a few times. The red today could have happened to anyone. Still, I think Henshaw and Ringrose is our best centre partnership so I don’t think it weakens us hugely. Suddenly JS’s decision to keep Henshaw on is vindicated.

Henshaw played poorly and looked very rusty
    Debatable if he will be up to scratch in time for a QF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

But didn't Henshaw need that run out today! Aki aside I think we are a better team after today (CJ might be a bit shagged tho...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

clsmooth wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Aki, don’t think there was much he could have done. He’s had an unlucky tournament, started off great against Scotland before getting the head injury. Was on a hiding to nothing against Russia where he dropped the ball a few times. The red today could have happened to anyone. Still, I think Henshaw and Ringrose is our best centre partnership so I don’t think it weakens us hugely. Suddenly JS’s decision to keep Henshaw on is vindicated.

Yeah I agree with this. The ref made the right decision, but Aki had a split second to react and the player coming in was ducking into the tackle. That could have happened to anyone in the circumstances.

So glad we won that, not least for Aki's sake. The vitriol coming his direction if we had lost would have been putrid. Im gutted for him that he was sent off against Samoa, a match that would have had enormous personal significance. Not to mention that his world cup is now most likely over and that is also his last game under Joe. Not the way you want to close that chapter of your career.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wegians89 wrote: »

Don’t agree with that, was looking before he shares injury that henshaw and Aki were the preferred two. Obviously once again that decision will be taken out of Schmidt’s hand, so it’ll be up to everyone to decide their own two first choices.
    Anytime Ringrose isn’t in the team people think our centres look better than him.

He comes back into the team and he shows exactly why he’s by far and away our best centre.

This hasn’t changed. Him, Van Der Flier and Stander have been immense in this World Cup

schmoo2k wrote: »
    But didn't Henshaw need that run out today! Aki aside I think we are a better team after today (CJ might be a bit shagged tho...)
    Definitely
    Just feel his recovery is a week too late
    Would start Farrell at 12
    Massive call for Joe - Henshaw will probably get the nod with the Experience and Leinster link in his favour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Stander being sent off against South Africa and Aki against Samoa is a pretty weird stat. Are they are last two red cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

schmoo2k wrote: »

Lucky CJ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Stander being sent off against South Africa and Aki against Samoa is a pretty weird stat. Are they are last two red cards?

They are - the last before those was Heaslip versus NZ (2010).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose has been so good this tournament that we're now back to our pre-warmup position of it being Ringrose plus one other in the centres. He's undroppable right now.

He was also given an award (of a samurai sword) by the Japanese as the best player they have played against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ringrose and Henshaw would be my pick

Henshaw needed a game and got a good run out which will stand to him but he is class

Larmour was class at 15 but I expect Joe to stick with Rob

Conway on wing fireplace Stockdale, Conway is on fire and we need to play him

Beirne or Ruddock at 6 for me, VDF at 7 with Stander at 8.....

Rest more or less picks itself

andymx11 wrote: »
    He was also given an award (of a samurai sword) by the Japanese as the best player they have played against.
    Cool!

Good article here on Japan’s “Ninja Bodies”
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/rwc-2019-japan/116523774/ninja-bodies-have-helped-japan-become-a-rugby-world-cup-force

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I expect it'll be

6 POM
    7 VDF
    8 CJ.

12 Henshaw
    13 Ringrose

(but maybe Farrell at 12 if we're playing SA....that said do you put Henshaw in the 23 Jersey then? Hard to see him not being in the match day squad if he's fit. Henshaw at 13 and Ringrose 23?)

Back 3 of Stockdale, Earls and Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Seriously? After these matches there are still some to think Kearney should start and not Larmour. Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Clegg wrote: »
    Ringrose has been so good this tournament that we're now back to our pre-warmup position of it being Ringrose plus one other in the centres. He's unsldroppable right now.

Said it ore world cup. He is close to our best player. Minor dips in form should not be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

connachta wrote: »
    Seriously? After these matches there are still some to think Kearney should start and not Larmour. Baffling.

"Should" start and "probably will" start ain't always the same connachta. I was stating what I expected, not necessarily the same as what I would choose myself.

Personally wouldn't mind either of Larmour or Kearney starting at FB.

Kearney should absolutely start. Been really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

But hasn't the sword a plastic blade? If so, it's literally a toy sword :)

But hasn't the sword a plastic blade? If so, it's literally a toy sword :)

Take your facts and leave - you don’t fit in around here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They are - the last before those was Heaslip versus NZ (2010).

I take it Kelyn wont be starting against SA then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

F**k me. Don't start.

He was brilliant today and very good against Scotland. I think a good team will target Larmour though. He might be up to it positionally and under the high ball but I'm not sure a QF is the game to find out. Think he's seen off Conway to the 23 jersey though and can genuinely change a game as we've seen in this tournament. Different ask up against the likes of NZ and SA though.

Who gets the 17 jersey? I think Scannell might have edged his way in there.

Thought that was pretty good and you'd have almost forgotten we only had 14 for most of it, though they were fairly poor. On the basis of that you'd be happy enough going into the QF, but then you remember we lost to Japan.

I'd go for in the QF: Larmour, Conway, Ringrose, Henshaw, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray, Stander, VdF, Beirne, Henderson, Ryan, Furlong, Best, Healy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

clsmooth wrote: »
    He was brilliant today and very good against Scotland. I think a good team will target Larmour though. He might be up to it positionally and under the high ball but I'm not sure a QF is the game to find out. Think he's seen off Conway to the 23 jersey though and can genuinely change a game as we've seen in this tournament. Different ask up against the likes of NZ and SA though.

Who gets the 17 jersey? I think Scannell might have edged his way in there.

Do you mean 16? 17 is sub loosehead.

Do you mean 16? 17 is sub loosehead.

Yep! Good spot! I was questioning myself whilst writing it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

On the basis of that you'd be happy enough going into the QF, but then you remember we lost to Japan.

I think I am going to 100% blame conditions for that game, they were horrific for a bunch of milk bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Kearney/Larmour isnt even a discussion as we come now to The First Meaningful Game. Bobster starts. Larmour playing well in minnow thashings is all very well, and bodes well for the future, but he is still well away from being a full function fb of the level needed againt the best teams.Kearney was put on earth for these next three games.

• Advertisement

Kearney/Larmour isnt even a discussion as we come now to The First Meaningful Game. Bobster starts. Larmour playing well in minnow thashings is all very well, and bodes well for the future, but he is still well away from being a full function fb of the level needed againt the best teams.Kearney was put on earth for these next three games.

Should be the end if the conversation, but some people love bashing the Kearndashians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Earlsie is the man under pressure now really, not Bob. Stockdale doesnt seem on song, but should still start. And Conway is a more secure bench option against SA, NZ, Eng, level teams. And Kieth will always have that try saving chase as his part in the WC 2019 victory folklore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Thought that was pretty good and you'd have almost forgotten we only had 14 for most of it, though they were fairly poor. On the basis of that you'd be happy enough going into the QF, but then you remember we lost to Japan.

I'd go for in the QF: Larmour, Conway, Ringrose, Henshaw, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray, Stander, VdF, Beirne, Henderson, Ryan, Furlong, Best, Healy

I hope we are building nicely towards the QF. with few new injuries. Only losses are Jack/Jordi(maybe Jordi fit?) and maybe Bundee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Earlsie is the man under pressure now really, not Bob. Stockdale doesnt seem on song, but should still start. And Conway is a more secure bench option against SA, NZ, Eng, level teams. And Kieth will always have that try saving chase as his part in the WC 2019 victory folklore.

I was thinking stockdale losing out with larmour on the wing could be the way to go. Stockdale hasn’t looked at his best so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

JJJackal wrote: »
    I hope we are building nicely towards the QF. with few new injuries. Only losses are Jack/Jordi(maybe Jordi fit?) and maybe Bundee?

To paraphrase the title of the Oasis album: definitely not maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How is Earls under pressure?

I thought he played well so far after return from injury, one silly pass today.

Stockdale in all the games hasn’t lit up the WC yet but Conway is on fire and needs to starts....he is just on the run Stockdale was in the Grand Dlam year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray still isn't at his very best, but he's much improved over last season all the same. He's still a bit slow to get the ball out, but his passing has a zip to it again and in general he's making much better decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement