Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

molloyjh wrote: »
    Possibly, but I dont think we need to. That pack shouldn't need to worry about the set peice really. And they'd be pretty deadly in the loose against Japan. And the back line should have more than enough to handle them. Theres a decent mix of experience from 11-15.

A lot depends on the Scotland game. An attritional close win and we will be sure to risk resting key players to have them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Great effort, however I don’t think we will play a ’second string’ against Japan. I think it will be full team first 2 games and then rotate heavily.

agreed, and Beirne is playing in 2 positions against Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Great effort, however I don’t think we will play a ’second string’ against Japan. I think it will be full team first 2 games and then rotate heavily.

agreed, and Beirne is playing in 2 positions against Japan...

Shut up you with your facts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't think Joe will be that bothered about making sure fringe guys get game time. Remember back in 2015, Paddy Jackson got 20 minutes total, Furlong got even less IIRC.

I would expect full-strength line-ups against Scotland, Japan and Samoa with rotation only against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

I don't think Joe will be that bothered about making sure fringe guys get game time. Remember back in 2015, Paddy Jackson got 20 minutes total, Furlong got even less IIRC.

I would expect full-strength line-ups against Scotland, Japan and Samoa with rotation only against Russia.

But but But.. maybe we learned some lessons :)

Yeah, theres not much point in having depth if you dont use it. Those selections are good enough to win all of those games and allow for us to ensure everyone in the 31 man squad has enough game time to be able to step in as required. Giving a couple of guys like Kleyn, Rhys and Farrell decent time in the warm-ups keeps the competitive environment going and ensures if they need to be called up that they're as good to go as possible. It also ensures we can rest guys and minimise risk of injury and fatigue.

EDIT: Our focus should be on being fully prepared for a very tough game in the QFs. We should be topping our pool, but if we fail to even make second place then I'd be beyond surprised. Everything needs to be geared towards the QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, theres not much point in having depth if you dont use it. Those selections are good enough to win all of those games and allow for us to ensure everyone in the 31 man squad has enough game time to be able to step in as required. Giving a couple of guys like Kleyn, Rhys and Farrell decent time in the warm-ups keeps the competitive environment going and ensures if they need to be called up that they're as good to go as possible. It also ensures we can rest guys and minimise risk of injury and fatigue.

EDIT: Our focus should be on being fully prepared for a very tough game in the QFs. We should be topping our pool, but if we fail to even make second place then I'd be beyond surprised. Everything needs to be geared towards the QF.

Everything is geared towards Scotland and Japan.
    IF we win both then Joe can strategize with who’s left fit.
    Btw I think we are getting way too far ahead of ourselves thinking beyond group stage. Have to get through warm ups first.

andymx11 wrote: »
    ]

But but But.. maybe we learned some lessons :)

I don't think our failure four years ago was anything to do with the lack of game time given to fringe players though. We just didn't have the quality in depth and tbh we still don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't think our failure four years ago was anything to do with the lack of game time given to fringe players though. We just didn't have the quality in depth and tbh we still don't.

Really? I don't think there are many positions that i wouldnt be happy with the second choice stepping in.
    Maybe, Healy, Furlong, Sexton, Kearney.
    Sexton and Furlong are just so far ahead of their backup that they'd be a huge loss.
    Healy and kearney because their backup just isn't good enough.

All other positions I'm happy with the backup to step in.

No amount of planning or game time to the wider squad will make up for massive injury issues like that. However the reason I've selected the sides I have is to ensure a few things:

We win all of our pool games.

We build towards the most important games. Theres a build up towards the final warm-up against Wales where we're almost full strength. Then we go full strength against Scotland before building towards the QF.

We ensure our first string guys get enough time to not be rusty but minimise it enough to reduce the risk of injury and fatigue.

We ensure we maximise the time we can give to the wider squad to ensure they are as well prepared as they can be should they need to be called upon.

That might not be enough, but it's all we can do. I dont understand doing any less tbh. Injuries are inevitable, so let's try and mitigate against them in as much as we can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Last WC our big group game was last up. After we dropped out the popular opinion was if we had it first up we would have been better

I don’t see how, the injuries against France where serious and even if first game players would not have been back. SOB maybe but the rest where gone and I include sexton in that

Everyone just needs to pray we keep a fit and healthy squad for the duration

We had enough injuries in 6 nations so hopefully that got it out of the way

At or near our 2018 best we can beat either NZ or SA.

SA look very similar to us against the AB's here in my opinion, just not as accurate and not quite as good at retaining possession.

The all blacks have lost something from their game. Not sure if they are keeping a lid on things but their pack looks a step down on previous seasons. Still lethal in space and as SA have gotten tired they've found a lot more of it. I think we're much fitter than this SA team.

Interesting game, intense but not a brilliant standard of rugby.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

At or near our 2018 best we can beat either NZ or SA.

SA look very similar to us against the AB's here in my opinion, just not as accurate and not quite as good at retaining possession.

The all blacks have lost something from their game. Not sure if they are keeping a lid on things but their pack looks a step down on previous seasons. Still lethal in space and as SA have gotten tired they've found a lot more of it. I think we're much fitter than this SA team.

Interesting game, intense but not a brilliant standard of rugby.

They've lost their aura....

They've gone from being an unplayable machine of the 15 / 16 / 17 seasons.... To being possibly beaten on a given day.

Make no mistake though, when they are at their best they will still beat everybody out there.... But they're finding it more difficult to get there and stay there these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Super last minute try by SA

It's anyone's tourney this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    They've lost their aura....

They've gone from being an unplayable machine of the 15 / 16 / 17 seasons.... To being possibly beaten on a given day.

Make no mistake though, when they are at their best they will still beat everybody out there.... But they're finding it more difficult to get there and stay there these days

Sums it up well. But over the course of 4 big games at the WC (SA and knock outs) I fancy they will come unstuck.

I'm not just saying it because of what has happened this morning because I've thought it for a while, but I think SA are serious contenders, in fact they are probably ahead of where I thought they were. But still they are reliant on certain players being fit, the half backs for example.

It's the widest open WC since 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just looking at some odds, Jack McGrath is deemed to be more likely to miss out on the RWC squad. John Ryan is a converted LH so he could act as third choice on both sides of the scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just looking at some odds, Jack McGrath is deemed to be more likely to miss out on the RWC squad. John Ryan is a converted LH so he could act as third choice on both sides of the scrum.

Your probably right although I suspect if Mc Grath goes well in the warm ups he could get his second choice LH jersey back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He's had a rough couple of years. Gone from being the preferred starter with Leinster and Ireland and making the Lions tour, to being ousted by a resurgence from Healy to his earlier years combined with a string of injuries and, and now potentially not making the plane to Japan.

McGrath won't have to work too hard to get into the squad. He fell off a cliff in the second half of this season but prior to that you'd have had him locked in for the RWC no question.

If he's over whatever issue he had after Christmas then he'll be pushing against an open door with Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Personally not seeing what the whole kerfuffle is about South Africa. They have improved from the dire straights they were in prior to Rassie taking over but they aren’t some juggernaut.

They still look to have questionable discipline and they can look very ordinary in attack once you get them through 3-4 phases and their set piece is average too. They do have some serious athletes however.

To be honest if Ireland get anyway near the performance level we were at in 2018, we should be licking our lips at the thoughts of them in the quarters. I’d fancy us strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah SA put in an excellent defensive shift today, but did little to nothing for most of the game in attack. Especially after De Klerk went off. If they can’t run over you they run out of ideas pretty quickly. A bit like Munster under Rassie too. Still think that Blitz defense will cause us big problems though. They’ll be trying to get Colby on the ball as much as possible against us I’d say, such a dangerous player.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yeah SA put in an excellent defensive shift today, but did little to nothing for most of the game in attack. Especially after De Klerk went off. If they can’t run over you they run out of ideas pretty quickly. A bit like Munster under Rassie too. Still think that Blitz defense will cause us big problems though. They’ll be trying to get Colby on the ball as much as possible against us I’d say, such a dangerous player.

That game today was also the most inaccurate game I’ve seen NZ play. Some of the errors were forced but the majority weren’t.

I think NZ will win fairly comfortably come the WC.

I really expect us to look like a completely different team to that in the 6 nations. I don’t think we showed a single thing bar the odd old set piece move the whole tournament. I strongly believe we were cycling to be in peak condition for Japan. I just cannot foresee how you can go from the performance level against NZ to that against Wales. They were poles apart in even the basic things like intensity and work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I don't think many teams if any, would come away two straight years with a win and a draw vs NZ at home. It's a great achievement and for large parts of the game they totally out-played NZ.

I don't think many teams if any, would come away two straight years with a win and a draw vs NZ at home. It's a great achievement and for large parts of the game they totally out-played NZ.

I agree that it’s certainly a very good achievement. However, totally outplayed them is a bit much. They didn’t even look close to scoring a try the entire game. Got a bounce off a forehead in final seconds.

They’ve no doubt improved. I think Ireland are a better team. I think NZ are better than both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I agree that it’s certainly a very good achievement. However, totally outplayed them is a bit much. They didn’t even look close to scoring a try the entire game. Got a bounce off a forehead in final seconds.

They’ve no doubt improved. I think Ireland are a better team. I think NZ are better than both.

They decided to take the 3 points. I'd have expected them to have gone down the line for two of those. How many tries did NZ score? They also didn't look like scoring for the majority of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

South Africa's line out is dreadful, they'll struggle if they don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Think that would be stretching it by a long way. For large parts of the first half they did yes, in the second half they did nothing. I’m pretty sure the only time they got into NZ’s 22 in the entire second half was that score. I don’t recall them actually being in possession inside the NZ 10 meter line in the second half. They defended really well for the whole game though. Even if they were offside for most of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If anyone knows these clowns that are suing, stick name and details up on public forum so the whole country can shun them and their family for the eternity

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If anyone knows these clowns that are suing, stick name and details up on public forum so the whole country can shun them and their family for the eternity

Ehh no.

That's scummy behaviour to suggest 'doxxing' them and their family on a public forum, regardless of what they've done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Rumour has it that one is a TD for Dun Laoghaire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

swiwi_ wrote: »

Humanity has been crossed

Ehh no.

That's scummy behaviour to suggest 'doxxing' them and their family on a public forum, regardless of what they've done.

Don’t really care

Play centre are closed down, social events are closed down, parks closing....kids have less and less do to and now this scu*bags are going after sports events

They should be named and shamed

Probably is one of her mates looking for medical expenses only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Probably is one of her mates looking for medical expenses only

Couldn’t read or write for 3 months...except to file the claim.

Couldn’t read or write for 3 months...except to file the claim.

They seen about concussion and all the money those US guys got....so they thought it happens with all the rugby players getting hit in the head with ball

Eh no. That's pitchfork mob mentality.

Ehh no.

It's scummy behaviour to make everyone else suffer for your own greed.
    Boards.ie isn't the forum obviously but IRFU should fight this all way, and a public court hearing might make these claimants think twice.

If these are legitimate injuries, grand. I seriously doubt it though. People looking for an easy payoff are an absolute scourge on our society and being named and shamed is exactly what they deserve.

It's scummy behaviour to make everyone else suffer for your own greed.
    Boards.ie isn't the forum obviously but IRFU should fight this all way, and a public court hearing might make these claimants think twice.

If these are legitimate injuries, grand. I seriously doubt it though. People looking for an easy payoff are an absolute scourge on our society and being named and shamed is exactly what they deserve.

Public court hearing is completely different to saying "post their names and details of them and their families online so we can shame despite knowing absolutely nothing about the incidents."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bit of genius. Bit of magic. Very interesting. Very good. Yeah. Three cheers for insurance companies. Very good. Very good.

• Advertisement

Eh no. That's pitchfork mob mentality.

I just said to shun them.....

Hardly calling for the below was I now?

9921453.jpg

If these people win, their names will be all over the place anyway.

But what bugs me so much is the complete lack of personal responsibility appropriated by judges in some cases. Now I know these cases haven't been judged yet, but how can someone who pays to go WATCH a rugby game, and then doesn't WATCH said rugby game and gets hit with a very obvious large flying object.. claim to be in some way free from responsibility for any injuries caused.

Anyway, with the way these cases are assessed in Ireland they are both in line for a massive pay out....

Public court hearing is completely different to saying "post their names and details of them and their families online so we can shame despite knowing absolutely nothing about the incidents."

The only time I seen a real hit from a ball was years ago in RDS

Leinster player running back towards posts, can't remember exact details but the ball was running along the ground and the player kicked it hard.....it went straight over the advertising boardings and cleaned a young lad out....

Player ran over and was apologizing to the young lad....everything moved on.....

Standing in the crowd and getting hit by the ball when a couple of 100 people beside you are roaring to watch out and also 10-20 of them trying to catch it....come on

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If these people win, their names will be all over the place anyway.

Not if it settles out of court, which is exactly what they're hoping for.

Exactly, that is why Maria Bailey took her case, it was never supposed to get public.

She admitted that in interview.

Fair point, I've posted elsewhere that I would vote for a party who would bring in a raft of legislative changes in insurance, and publishing "out of court" awards would be a tenant... (names, towns, barristers, solicitors, incident, injury etc should all be included.)

All these out of court awards affect everybody else's premiums, therfore should be a matter of public record.

The resultant could be having to watch games behind glass at ground level, and with protective netting behind goals.... Who wants that??

Trying to figure out what way selections are going to go for the Italy game.

Two tests against Wales and one against England are going to be high intensity physical games with a higher % chance of lads getting knocks.

On the other hand how well will we be tested by an Italian team away form home if we put out the firsts?

I reckon any of the lads who generally need more matches to get upto test fitness will start. After that it will be getting the wider squad into the system after a break.

McGrath
    Scannell
    Ryan
    Toner
    Henderson
    POM
    Jordi
    Conan
    Murray
    Carbery
    Earls
    Aki
    Henshaw
    Larmour
    Haley

Pure guess work, I think Murray will start three of the warm up matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I'm really doubting the legitimacy of those claims. If someone had been hit in the face with a ball the cameras 100% would have shown it

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I'm really doubting the legitimacy of those claims. If someone had been hit in the face with a ball the cameras 100% would have shown it

It would be on the funny reels as well......

But it is Ireland and it doesn't have to be legitimate to get some dosh

• Advertisement

I just said to shun them.....

Hardly calling for the below was I now?

9921453.jpg

You can't control what other people do with that information, so what you call for is irrelevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement