Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

I'm not shocked, he was an outside bet to make the final squad anyway, but being only one of two players cut and 43 still retained, that's tough.

What’s the thought process behind a small culling I.e two players? Surly keeping them won’t make a big difference or was it dictated by squad number rules heading into the Italy game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There wouldn't be any squad number rules. If Joe wanted to retain 45 he could. It's a bit strange though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He's a different player to Dillane but Kleyn certainly hasn't impressed me enough to be on that flight to Japan, similar to Beirne. When he returned from Scarlets I'd have been certain that Beirne would be a high performer internationally which hasn't happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm disappointed! Dillane is a massively talented. He does seem to go in spurts though. Consistancy seems to be a problem.
    Scannell is no surprise. I was shocked he was included.

He's a different player to Dillane but Kleyn certainly hasn't impressed me enough to be on that flight to Japan, similar to Beirne. When he returned from Scarlets I'd have been certain that Beirne would be a high performer internationally which hasn't happened.

Kleyn is an absolute monster in the tight exchanges on form. He'll need a strong run in the warmups but he's absolutely worth his place in the extended squad. Dillane is unfortunate to be let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

andymx11 wrote: »
    What’s the thought process behind a small culling I.e two players? Surly keeping them won’t make a big difference or was it dictated by squad number rules heading into the Italy game?

Maybe a logistical/cost decision if they decided the two players definitely weren't going to play a part any further, but still a strange call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

There wouldn't be any squad number rules. If Joe wanted to retain 45 he could. It's a bit strange though.

Joe did a Q&A in The Laighain Out after a Leinster game a few months back and mentioned that the plan is to cut a few from the squad a various points over the next couple of weeks until it’s just the final 31 left for the home game against Wales. I guess that Dillane and Scannell are the first group to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

As I see it now:

Hookers:
    Starting: 2: Rory Best
    Bench: 16: Sean Cronin
    Squad/Backup: 24: Niall Scannell/Rob Herring

Loosehead Props:
    Starting: 1: Cian Healy
    Bench/Backup: 17: Dave Kilcoyne/Jack McGrath

Tighthead Props:
    Starting: 3: Tadhg Furlong
    Bench/Squad: 18/25: Andrew Porter/John Ryan
    Backup: Finlay Bealham

Locks:
    Starting: 4: James Ryan
    Starting/Bench: 5/19: Devin Toner/Iain Henderson
    Squad/Backup: 26: Tadhg Beirne/Jean Kleyn
    Reserve: Ultan Dillane
    Reserve: Quinn Roux

6/8:
    Starting: 6: Peter O’Mahony
    Starting: 8: CJ Stander
    Bench: 20: Jack Conan
    Backup: Rhys Ruddock

7:
    Starting: 7: Josh van der Flier
    Squad: 27: Jordi Murphy
    Backup: Tommy O’Donnell

Scrum-halves:
    Starting: 9: Conor Murray
    Bench: 21: Kieran Marmion
    Squad/Backup: 28: John Cooney/Luke McGrath

Out-halves:
    Starting: 10: Jonathan Sexton
    Bench: 22: Joey Carbery
    Backup/Reserve: Jack Carty/Ross Byrne

Centres:
    Starting: 13: Garry Ringrose
    Starting/Squad: 12/29: Bundee Aki/Robbie Henshaw
    Squad/Backup: 30: Chris Farrell/Will Addison
    Reserve: Rory Scannell

Wings:
    Starting: 11: Jacob Stockdale
    Starting: 14: Keith Earls
    Squad/Backup: 31: Andrew Conway/Dave Kearney

Fullbacks:
    Starting: 15: Rob Kearney
    Bench: 23: Jordan Larmour
    Backup: Mike Haley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lot of BS going around online about the squad cut, especially Dillane. 12 more quality players will be cut before the big Plane leaves, thats what happens when Ireland have the most depth in its pool of eligible test players ever.

Not everyone will agree with the selections, but if you don't believe Joe Schmidt and his staff are the best people to judge those players that will serve us best in a long, attritional tournament then you need to have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Lot of BS going around online about the squad cut, especially Dillane. 12 more quality players will be cut before the big Plane leaves, thats what happens when Ireland have the most depth in its pool of eligible test players ever.

Not everyone will agree with the selections, but if you don't believe Joe Schmidt and his staff are the best people to judge those players that will serve us best in a long, attritional tournament then you need to have a word with yourself.

Tbf all I've seen are people expressing their opinion/disappointment, which is sorta the purpose of this forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's not BS to question why a particular call was made.

We announced a 43 man squad initially. ONE of those players has been deemed surplus to requirements. ONE. That's very odd in itself.

I doubt Dillane is sitting at home saying "sure Joe knows best..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I'm disappointed! Dillane is a massively talented. He does seem to go in spurts though. Consistancy seems to be a problem.

Went through a tough time in his personal life which probably coincided with his form fluctuating. He was back to something close to his best last season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

It's not BS to question why a particular call was made.

We announced a 43 man squad initially. ONE of those players has been deemed surplus to requirements. ONE. That's very odd in itself.

I doubt Dillane is sitting at home saying "sure Joe knows best..."

A 44 man squad was initially announced, then Addison was added. TWO players were deemed surplus to requirements. TWO.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    A 44 man squad was initially announced, then Addison was added. TWO players were deemed surplus to requirements. TWO.

My apologies. I didn't realise Scannell was in the original squad.

The point is the same. A slap in the chops for the lads dropped. A very pointed slap.

My apologies. I didn't realise Scannell was in the original squad.

The point is the same. A slap in the chops for the lads dropped. A very pointed slap.

Hardly pointed any more pointed than any other dropping will be, we're now down to basically one person to be dropped from each position group, Scannell and Dillane were both in the only two position groups (other than 9&10 which are different for obvious reasons) where there were 3 people competing for one squad place, makes sense 2 of those 6 would be first dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Burkie1203 wrote: »

On the arm, they were hit on the ****ing arm, I'd have given my arm to be at the New Zealand game and they have the ****ing neck to sue because the ball hit them. Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I still think someone should let their names slip

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I still think this is wrong.

There's absolutely an issue with claims/insurance costs in this country, but if we're not careful we're going to go towards the other extreme of people being terrified to sue in legitimate cases because of a fear of a public backlash. That's not healthy either.

• Advertisement

Kevski wrote: »
    Joe did a Q&A in The Laighain Out after a Leinster game a few months back and mentioned that the plan is to cut a few from the squad a various points over the next couple of weeks until it’s just the final 31 left for the home game against Wales. I guess that Dillane and Scannell are the first group to be cut.

That's interesting. I'd expect many of the wider squad players to get a run out on Saturday with a view to letting a few go afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Who plays 12 this weekend?

We can probably assume that Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose are nailed on, but with Scannell released either Henshaw or Aki probably needs to play this weekend with either Addison or Farrell at 13.

Could go Henshaw and Farrell with Addison at 15. That would be quite good to see.

It's about the only thing going for these games, the different possibilities that might be looked at! The game itself will probably be crap!

Different kind of crowds but the Aviva walk-ups might be hit by the likely sell-out later in the day at Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Different kind of crowds but the Aviva walk-ups might be hit by the likely sell-out later in the day at Croke Park.

What game is that at croker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think the 50e or 60e for a ticket for a warm up game would put some off. Fair few may be headed to Japan too so keeping their cash for that

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What game is that at croker

The annual outing for 50,000 Dubs to spend an hour watching the nearest Mayo person and pinpoint the exact moment their heart breaks.

Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

bilston wrote: »
    Could go Henshaw and Farrell with Addison at 15. That would be quite good to see.

That could be a super :) I too would love to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The annual outing for 50,000 Dubs to spend an hour watching the nearest Mayo person and pinpoint the exact moment their heart breaks.

Again.

Given the gap in playing population exceeds that of Ireland and Italy in rugby, the massive disparity in financial resources, inherent advantages of every game at home and no travel for training etc, it is testament to the ability of Mayo that they are able to keep it close for an hour surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Given the gap in playing population exceeds that of Ireland and Italy in rugby, the massive disparity in financial resources, inherent advantages of every game at home and no travel for training etc, it is testament to the ability of Mayo that they are able to keep it close for an hour surely.

And also that they keep shooting themselves in the foot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We can probably assume that Aki, Henshaw and Ringrose are nailed on, but with Scannell released either Henshaw or Aki probably needs to play this weekend with either Addison or Farrell at 13.

It's about the only thing going for these games, the different possibilities that might be looked at! The game itself will probably be crap!

I wonder will we see Henshaw back at 15 at some point during them, or is that idea written off after the England game.

aloooof wrote: »
    I wonder will we see Henshaw back at 15 at some point during them, or is that idea written off after the England game.

Henshaw should be given another shot....the finger was pointed at him for England but it was a combination of factors.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Henshaw should be given another shot....the finger was pointed at him for England but it was a combination of factors.....

While he was not solely to blame he had an absolute horror show and was constantly exploited for his positioning. It was not a match that endeared me to him at 15.

That said this is the time to try him out at 15 again in case Kearney goes down. Presumably he showed something in training that showed he could play 15 again. If he has worked on what went wrong for him then he could be a good option there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

MOD NOTE.

In no way whatsoever is this condoned anyone that releases information on people that lets someone be identified will be banned, Doxxing is against the Boards Ts&Cs and will be dealt with.

Any more hinting that this should happen will be met with sanctions

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Joe Schmidt gone home to attend a family funeral - should be back by end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think Joe likes Farrell and wants to give him the chance to play his way onto the plane. The only way he does this for me is to show he can play 12.

I reckon Farrell 12 Ringrose 13

I think Joe likes Farrell and wants to give him the chance to play his way onto the plane. The only way he does this for me is to show he can play 12.

I reckon Farrell 12 Ringrose 13

Joe does like Farrell and this was confirmed a few times as he monitored his progress in France and I am sure he had a say with his move.....

If he is injury free he might be on plane as Ireland seem to have issues keeping 12/13's fit. Was the same in last WC

I hope we don't see Henshaw at 15 tbh. I'd be far more interested in finding out what our best centre partnership is, and I'd much rather see either Addison or Larmour get the minutes at 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I hope we don't see Henshaw at 15 tbh. I'd be far more interested in finding out what our best centre partnership is, and I'd much rather see either Addison or Larmour get the minutes at 15.

Or even Hayley, especially in the warm ups,
    Hasn’t been great for Munster but he’s still in the squad. Give him a run!

It's entirely possible Henshaw could get a run at 15. Not sure anyone expected it before the England game so in terms of what 'could' happen it's very much on the table.

But I'd personally be surprised. He has all of Kearney's limitations at fullback without offering as much in other aspects of fullback play due to his lack of experience. If we are struggling on backup options at 15 at this point to the degree that we are effectively shoehorning someone in out of position then I think we're in trouble.

Henshaw was poor enough against England, I think it was a perfect storm in that England adopted a more unfamiliar short kicking game (which they continued to play all tournament) right as we made a change in the one position that would be heavily tested by such a game plan.

I think it adequately made the point however that the muscle memory Henshaw has for fullback play is probably insufficient for him to make an impact there without a lot more time there at pro14 level.

My guess:
    McGrath, Best, Porter, Kleyn, Henderson, Murphy, TOD, Stander;
    Cooney, Carty, D Kearney, Henshaw, Farrell, Larmour, Haley

Herring, Kilcoyne, Bealham, Beirne, POM, Murray, Byrne, Addison

My guess:

Interesting team.

Good bit of power and actually quite mobile without giving up much physicality.

Can't help but feel Carbery is going to be given plenty of game time so I think he'll start over Carty.

I also can't see why Addison would be behind Haley. I'd almost have Addison on the wing and Larmour at fullback in your team above.

Hard to credit there is an Ireland rugby game this coming weekend!

• Advertisement

My guess:

Dont tell me we are heading into another World cup with a call for TOD to be in the squad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Dont tell me we are heading into another World cup with a call for TOD to be in the squad :o

I don't know that the guy has ever had a poor game for ireland in fairness.

Yeah because the sevens are just falling out of our arses these days. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Nothing to say he will be in the squad.

But it would be foolish to have any member of the backrow undercooked going into the RWC.

Most likely Jordi and Josh are travelling as the 7s

Then what if one of them drops in the first game against Scotland? Are you going to put POM or Stander there for the remaining 6 games? Or do you call out the next best openside?

Jaysus it's three and a half years since TOD played for Ireland. Six Nations 2016.

I would think he's third in the queue, maybe even behind Ruddock as emergency openside, but definitely worth keeping him in the mix in case of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kevski wrote: »

Makese sense. Probably Joe knows who is gonna be cut but some likely to be cut will feature as Joe can't play his 31 for all the warm ups. The ones who are gonna be cut but will get gametime stay in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

My guess:

Really hope we don’t see Hayley start any of the games. He won’t travel unless injury to both Larmour & Rob.
    Rob needs games and I hope we get to see Larmour and Conway start at least a game each at FB

Jaysus it's three and a half years since TOD played for Ireland. Six Nations 2016.

I would think he's third in the queue, maybe even behind Ruddock as emergency openside, but definitely worth keeping him in the mix in case of injury.

He played 12 times for Munster last season, 4 of those as a sub. According to Munster website.

Would we not be better investing some time into SOB(connacht) or a Penney or someone

A fit ToD is a very good player and tackle machine to boot. I'm not going to write him off just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He played 12 times for Munster last season, 4 of those as a sub. According to Munster website.

Would we not be better investing some time into SOB(connacht) or a Penney or someone

SOB 2.0 is a 6, and Penny will soon be knocking on the door, but he's also coming off the back of a double shoulder surgery back in June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement