Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

aloooof wrote: »
    That would make more sense to me too, tbh. Joe is announcing his squad between the 2 Welsh games as well, so you'd imagine he wants to see as much of the marginal calls as possible in the next 2 games.

If the squad will be announced before the final warm-up match, then as the last chance to get ready for Scotland I’d like to see the full 23 be named for that.

The next two matches should be used to give guys a chance to get fit and mix up the combinations a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Good article from Murray, outlining the minutes played by the various players.

https://www.the42.ie/team-joe-built-world-cup-2019-4768788-Aug2019/

It's going to be a full blooded test at the weekend. Ireland will be looking for momentum and form and I reckon we'll see a fairly dialled up performance.

We can't afford any losses in Japan, might as well get into that mindset now and keep a clean sheet for the remainder of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Winning away is never easy. Our record at Twickenham is not great. Our last grand Slam victory was the only one of the three that involved beating England at their home ground. Made it all the more special to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Winning away is never easy. Our record at Twickenham is not great. Our last grand Slam victory was the only one of the three that involved beating England at their home ground. Made it all the more special to me

Valentines Day 1948 - England 10 - 11 Ireland. I remember it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

errlloyd wrote: »
    RobbieRuns wrote: »

Valentines Day 1948 - England 10 - 11 Ireland. I remember it well.

As does Jaco no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

molloyjh wrote: »
    As does Jaco no doubt.

Of course he does, first game he brought his grandson to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Engerland are a week ahead of us in prep....I doubt we will win.

Personally I wouldn't put out Sexton either....especially if Billy V is around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we won.

Sexton has to play - you can't wrap him up in cotton wool. Carberry is injured so it makes it even more important that he plays.

p.s. His form hasn't exactly been stellar either.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Billy V. has played both welsh games already. hes vital to england so i cant see him starting the irish game.

I can see the england line up being something like:

Mako George Sinckler
    Itoje Kruis
    Lawes Wilson underhill (assuming curry is still injured, if not he comes in... also assuming both underhill and wilson are back )

mcconnaighe youngs farrell Francis Tuilagi May
    Daly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there any way we can draw these guys in a 1/4 final? If so....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we won.

Sexton has to play - you can't wrap him up in cotton wool. Carberry is injured so it makes it even more important that he plays.

p.s. His form hasn't exactly been stellar either.

With Carbery injured, I'd hope that Sexton will start 2 and Carty will start one of the next 3 games. Assuming Carbery will miss the Scotland game, we're one injury away from having to start Carty so I'd like to see him get a decent chunk of game time.

andymx11 wrote: »

Carty needs time at 10 for Ireland....he is the number 3 so get him on the pitch.....

Sexton can play the Wales games if required

When is the absolute latest date we can announce our squad?

• Advertisement

Not sure, but I'm pretty certain Joe has said he'll announce it before the last Wales game.

Not sure, but I'm pretty certain Joe has said he'll announce it before the last Wales game.

8th September seemingly

With Carbery injured, I'd hope that Sexton will start 2 and Carty will start one of the next 3 games. Assuming Carbery will miss the Scotland game, we're one injury away from having to start Carty so I'd like to see him get a decent chunk of game time.

Agree with that,
    I'd go Sexton, Carty, Sexton, as that sets Sexton up nicely to be ready for Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Given the pressure Joe put on carty post Italy match, it sounds like he wants to see a reaction from him and he will get the gametime. Here's hoping he can step up.

Given the pressure Joe put on carty post Italy match, it sounds like he wants to see a reaction from him and he will get the gametime. Here's hoping he can step up.

What did Joe say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

What did Joe say?

I think it was something like ~"some guys like Jack Carty won't be happy that they didn't quite get up to the pitch of the game"~

It wasn't really cutting or anything but he mentioned him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It has to be submitted after the third warm-up game (the first Wales match) but apparently IRFU won't announce it until after the last match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    What did Joe say?

I think it was something like ~"some guys like Jack Carty won't be happy that they didn't quite get up to the pitch of the game"~

It wasn't really cutting or anything but he mentioned him.

It's excellent management, get the subtle encouragement/dig in, not too hard, not too soft......

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Agree with that,
    I'd go Sexton, Carty, Sexton, as that sets Sexton up nicely to be ready for Scotland.

Surely with the doubt around Carberry, Byrne must get reasonable game time (to cover all bases)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

cantwbr1 wrote: »

Agree with that,

Surely with the doubt around Carberry, Byrne must get reasonable game time (to cover all bases)

Ross or Harry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Bryan or Ed?

Fair point.
    Byrne should get a chance off the bench against England alright.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Ross or Harry?

2023 it will be all Harry

It will be Carberry who :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Id hope Sexton starts none of the practice games. With the Carbo situation, Sexton cannot be risked at all. And he doesnt need to practice how to play 10 anyway. In contrast, Byrne and Carty would benefit from the experience, and important that they are lined up as best as possible for potential filling in needs.
    So nothing to gain from playing Sexton, but a lot to lose. Nothing to lose from plaing Carty and Byrne, and a lot to gain. The correct decision is to have Sexton in the stand for the three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Id hope Sexton starts none of the practice games. With the Carbo situation, Sexton cannot be risked at all. And he doesnt need to practice how to play 10 anyway. In contrast, Byrne and Carty would benefit from the experience, and important that they are lined up as best as possible for potential filling in needs.
    So nothing to gain from playing Sexton, but a lot to lose. Nothing to lose from plaing Carty and Byrne, and a lot to gain. The correct decision is to have Sexton in the stand for the three games.

For once, we agree

• Advertisement

Sexton will need one game so Wales at home but let him have an armchair ride....have Nordi standing beside him and if he tries to tackle anyone then Nordi tackles him :-)

Carty is the nailed on number 3 now so he should be given as many minutes as possible....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's not really feasible though, Sexton hasn't played since May. He needs to pick up minutes, it's not about practicing how to play 10, players need to get back up to test match intensity and build momentum off of that. Especially considering he could be a key component in the Scotland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Reported on the radio just now that Henshaw, Sexton and Earls all sat out training but management "are hopeful they'll be able to take part this weekend".

Going off the past that's a pretty good chance they're all out for this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Bazzo wrote: »
    Reported on the radio just now that Henshaw, Sexton and Earls all sat out training but management "are hopeful they'll be able to take part this weekend".

Well at least they're all pretty much nailed onto the squad already so there won't be any mad panic to play a guy who's got a niggle.
    Could play Bundee alongside either Farrell or Ringrose in the centre. Conway will be glad to get another shot on the wing. Or maybe Addison.
    And both of the 10's need game time so they can go half and half.

It's excellent management, get the subtle encouragement/dig in, not too hard, not too soft......

He's brilliant at this. One instance of it that comes to mind was after Gilroy had come off the bench to score a hattrick against Italy in the 6 Nations and Schmidt said he had a mixed bag with a few defensive things to learn from.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Indo saying Ross Byrne looks set to start against England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Bazzo wrote: »

From what was being reported last night it appears that it was for additional recovery time after Portuguese training camp and not any specific injuries.

They'll be monitoring blood sugar levels, lactate levels, saliva tests for hormone levels etc., and any time they get an indication that a player is fatigued they'll tailor the training approach to match.

RTE did a special with Tommy Bowe about it before, showed the level of monitoring that these guys were under 4-5 years ago. It's only going to be more detailed now

blackwhite wrote: »
    From what was being reported last night it appears that it was for additional recovery time after Portuguese training camp and not any specific injuries.

They'll be monitoring blood sugar levels, lactate levels, saliva tests for hormone levels etc., and any time they get an indication that a player is fatigued they'll tailor the training approach to match.

RTE did a special with Tommy Bowe about it before, showed the level of monitoring that these guys were under 4-5 years ago. It's only going to be more detailed now

Mad when you compare it to 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Victory this weekend in Twickenham would send Ireland to number 1 in the world rankings.
    Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but would be another first we can add to Joe Schmidt's tenure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Reading Gordon D’Arcy in the Times this morning would send the stress levels up...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

radharc wrote: »
    Reading Gordon D’Arcy in the Times this morning would send the stress levels up...

Personally didn’t think there was much substance to it... the piece did what it was meant to do though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I struggle to take anyone seriously who's genuinely worried about us getting out of the group

He also has us below Australia, baffling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

At no point in the article does he mention anything at all about not getting put of the group. Quite the opposite actually. He reckons we will with relative ease, but is concerned that this is as much as we'll accomplish based on what hes seen in 2019. It's hardly an unreasonable position to take. He wants to see more from us in the warm ups to convince that the poor form of 6 months ago is truly in the past. Also not unreasonable. In 2015 people questioned whether we were holding things back and the response was often the same. You cant just turn it on at the flick of a switch. That's another point he made in the article.

All that said, we dont need to be hitting form for another 6 weeks really so personally I'm not overly concerned just yet. Let's see how we go this weekend. I know we can turn our earlier form around. We just need to actually do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

He's brilliant at this. One instance of it that comes to mind was after Gilroy had come off the bench to score a hattrick against Italy in the 6 Nations and Schmidt said he had a mixed bag with a few defensive things to learn from.

How many more caps did Gilroy get? Schmidt hardly took it as a masterclass performance from Gilroy. He seems to have been serious with his analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 GeordieC

Strange they suggest the majority of the team without guessing the full XV

Healy Best Furlong,
    Kleyn Toner,
    POM CJ (?);

Murray Byrne,
    (?) (?) ,
    Stockdale Larmour Kearney

Team is

Healy, Best, Furlong,
    Kleyn, Henderson,
    POM, CJ, VDF;

Murray, Byrne,
    Ak, Ringrose ,
    Stockdale, Larmour, Kearney

Burkie1203 wrote: »

What happens now if Byrne runs the show and Ireland kick englands ass?? :eek:

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What happens now if Byrne runs the show and Ireland kick englands ass?? :eek:

I'll go to mass on Sunday and dedicate a decade of the rosary for your intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Team is

Healy, Best, Furlong,
    Kleyn, Henderson,
    POM, CJ, VDF;

Murray, Byrne,
    Ak, Ringrose ,
    Stockdale, Larmour, Kearney

Interesting to see how the pack go there. Obviously looking to hold on to the ball for longer periods than we usually would. Not sure where we’d build scores from though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement