Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    After two games with two different team it would suggest we will

Do you think we will use the right options tho

Marmion cannot be any worse then Murray
    Henderson will be a big improvement at 6
    Conan is a better player then Stander
    Kleyns next game of rugby should be in the pro14

V wales

Kilcoyne Cronin Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Henderson VDF Conan

Marmion Carty
    Stockdale Farrell Ringrose Earls
    Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I admire your faith but imo bar the injuries (Sexton, Ryan, Earls) that's the team that'll start in a QF against NZ or SA.

Assuming we get there.

Potentially but who knows, injuries etc might bring players back...at this stage Murphy and Conan need a run, they hopefully step up and start against Scotland

A QF is a long way away.....plenty of time for players to find form

Throwing toys out of park over a preseason game against England is pointless

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Do you think we will use the right options tho

Marmion cannot be any worse then Murray
    Henderson will be a big improvement at 6
    Conan is a better player then Stander
    Kleyns next game of rugby should be in the pro14

V wales

Kilcoyne Cronin Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Henderson VDF Conan

Marmion Carty
    Stockdale Farrell Ringrose Earls
    Kearney

McGrath Scannell Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Standar VDF Conan
    Marmion Byrne
    Stockdale henshaw ringrose Earls
    Kearney

That would be fit team if I decided to forget it’s preseason....then I remember it’s warm up so

McGrath Scannell Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Standar VDF Conan
    Marmion Byrne
    Conway henshaw farrell Earls
    Larmour

Byrne has jumped Carty by looks of it, Byrne done well yesterday, Carty hasn’t done anything in both match’s so far

He could give Carty a start and see what he can do but I’m not impressed at all

Potentially but who knows, injuries etc might bring players back...at this stage Murphy and Conan need a run, they hopefully step up and start against Scotland

It's not just the game tho. We persisted in the 6n when the same issues existed

Our backrow just isn't performing

It's not just the game tho. We persisted in the 6n when the same issues existed

Our backrow just isn't performing

The 6 nations which we could of won at the start of the wales game?

Standar was out most of 6 nations and onky came back fro wales or maybe the match befor

So that’s incorrect

Injury shouldn't be a selector.

This is not just a preseason game against England. We got thrashed by England and Wales in the 6N. Schmidt has clearly gone back to the same team again which is a massive worry.

Injury shouldn't be a selector.

This is not just a preseason game against England. We got thrashed by England and Wales in the 6N. Schmidt has clearly gone back to the same team again which is a massive worry.

It is a preseason game.....how is it not a preseason game?

Up till last 30 mins we where in the game v England, Wales was a mess

Joe has had 2 games since, start two different teams....

Please tell me, what exactly was he supposed to do different? I would love to know

The 6 nations which we could of won at the start of the wales game?

Yes but the issues which existed then still exist now.

Yes but the issues which existed then still exist now.

No they didn’t

We had huge changes all during the 6 nations because of injuries, was it 35 players or something played

Am I the only one who can remember a few weeks back?

We never had a settled team.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Ffs he’s the same age !

I know that (why the ffs, having a bad day?) and it doesn't change my point. He was the only true threat to Kearney once we were adequately stocked at centre and Schmidt was beginning to select him there before his career ended

No they didn’t

We had huge changes all during the 6 nations because of injuries, was it 35 players or something played

Am I the only one who can remember a few weeks back?

We never had a settled team.....

Key players such as Murray were persisted with upto 73 minutes in games. Only when the game was done was there a change

POM offers next to nothing if he isn't dominant in the lineout

Stander offers very little if he can't run over people (yesterday he made 3 carries)

When Beirne came on yesterday it was for the one forward who actually delivered on both sides of the ball.

Others haven't delivered either. Best looks done.

The changes that might make a difference will only be made by force it seems.

Please note I want change in the team, I posted this for ages and got hammered anytime I said to drop POM

But I don’t get the current rubbish going on, Joe had 2 games since 6 nations, he played 2 different teams

Some players have done well but majority have been s**t and that’s from both games.

But that’s the whole point of preseason, now he has two games to look at combinations from the first two games to match and create a team to start v Scotland

I think the team is already in his mind but Ireland back row is critical and it is the huge concern for me.

People will say I’m sticking my head in sand, I don’t care, I couldn’t give a s**t if we lost the next two games as long as we get the team working and come Scotland we blow them out of the water

Then win the group and get to QF, then sorry but it is a case of who is left standing, if no injuries then joe will of had 4 tonight international to test his team and will know who is the 23

If it all goes to poo I won’t be happy I can tell you and serious questions will need to be asked about how we prepare over 4 years and it will be sad for
    The end of joes time

Will it ruin his legacy? Not in my eyes....but then I’m a Leinster supporter as well....

Key players such as Murray were persisted with upto 73 minutes in games. Only when the game was done was there a change

POM offers next to nothing if he isn't dominant in the lineout

Stander offers very little if he can't run over people (yesterday he made 3 carries)

When Beirne came on yesterday it was for the one forward who actually delivered on both sides of the ball.

Others haven't delivered either. Best looks done.

The changes that might make a difference will only be made by force it seems.

Murray was coming back from a serious injury and the decision was made to try and play him back into form....it could have worked, it didn’t

We are back to the old Beirne parade....Beirne was one of the worst players on the pitch in wales, he is not a second row no matter how hard
    Munster try, he is a utility player at best but not big enough to play international, hence why Kleyn is suddenly in the squad. If they want to try Beirne stick him at 6

In regards to changes made in force? Is that to 6 nations? If so best was dropped for
    Italy and both hookers had a nightmare

Plenty of options tried in 6 nations

If you are talking about last 2 games then who else did you want to see? If you say more of Beirne I actually think Jesus will cry

Murray was coming back from a serious injury and the decision was made to try and play him back into form....it could have worked, it didn’t

We are back to the old Beirne parade....Beirne was one of the worst players on the pitch in wales, he is not a second row no matter how hard
    Munster try, he is a utility player at best but not big enough to play international, hence why Kleyn is suddenly in the squad. If they want to try Beirne stick him at 6

In regards to changes made in force? Is that to 6 nations? If so best was dropped for
    Italy and both hookers had a nightmare

Plenty of options tried in 6 nations

If you are talking about last 2 games then who else did you want to see? If you say more of Beirne I actually think Jesus will cry

Its not just about personnel. Its the manner in which we have tried to play. Its all static and one dimensional.

Look at England yesterday. Players coming onto the ball at pace, into space.

Same things with the same players which had been found out. That's where we are heading. But thankfully Scotland are a bit lacking a bit in the top 2 inches so we might get away with it

Beirne or Henderson at 6
    VDF, Conan

Marmion and Carty at half back

Change the personnel to try and give the half backs a platform to work off instead of Stander running into people aimlessly, POM going missing etc.

I thought Beirne should have come on in the backrow yesterday. Think thats his best position (6)

Its not just about personnel. Its the manner in which we have tried to play. Its all static and one dimensional.

Look at England yesterday. Players coming onto the ball at pace, into space.

Same things with the same players which had been found out. That's where we are heading. But thankfully Scotland are a bit lacking a bit in the top 2 inches so we might get away with it

Beirne or Henderson at 6
    VDF, Conan

Marmion and Carty at half back

Change the personnel to try and give the half backs a platform to work off instead of Stander running into people aimlessly, POM going missing etc.

Apart from Carty I agree, he has done nothing in warm up and very little in 6 nations last year. This famous break threat?

They did try different things in the two games, they didn’t work

No point discussing how good/bad England are as Ireland offered little in defence....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Laugh here is your post....the conservative Joe was found out years ago to be bulls**t and still is, he has capped and produced a better squad than Ireland ever has

We have options now, previous once you went past the initial 15 or 23 then we had no options

Also it’s preseason, your complaining about joe keeping players in position after they have played 2 games this season with two completely different starting line ups?

A better squad, your having a laugh.

No credible experienced back up 2,6,8,10,15.

Joe might give people games against minnows or in meaningless games but he doesn’t trust anyone against big teams, the only time he gives players outside his starting 15 a run is through injury.

Im not complaining about 2 pre season games, this is based on the last few years.

We missed a massive opportunity to give players game time in the 6 nations, and for what? If we had won it and ranked in the WC would it have been worth it? As soon as we were battered at home to England we should have been giving second choice players more exposure.

Byrnes club form was good enough to give him game time in the 6 nations, carbery was injured, Sexton wasn’t playing great, and it reeks of desperation now to play him in a game 4 weeks before the WC, your either bringing a greenhorn for the most important position or wasting the opportunity to give Carthy a game and build on his previous time.

Kearney started at 15 in the Italian game, with Conway on the bench, I will never understand that decision, Conway or Larmour should have started 15 and Kearney on the bench if needs be.

Plenty of back row options could have been tried, but the incumbents are always picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cummiskey in the irish times somehow has POM as Irelands highest rated player yesterday at 6/10, laughable.

A better squad, your having a laugh.

No credible experienced back up 2,6,8,10,15.

Joe might give people games against minnows or in meaningless games but he doesn’t trust anyone against big teams, the only time he gives players outside his starting 15 a run is through injury.

Im not complaining about 2 pre season games, this is based on the last few years.

2: Best, Cronin, Scannell, Herring
    6: POM, Beirne, Standar, Ruddock, Beirne
    8: Standar, Conan, Murphy
    10: Sexton, Carberry, Carty, Byrne
    15: Kearney, Larmour, Conway, Addison, Henshaw

Seriously what are you talking about?

We missed a massive opportunity to give players game time in the 6 nations, and for what? If we had won it and ranked in the WC would it have been worth it? As soon as we were battered at home to England we should have been giving second choice players more exposure.

Byrnes club form was good enough to give him game time in the 6 nations, carbery was injured, Sexton wasn’t playing great, and it reeks of desperation now to play him in a game 4 weeks before the WC, your either bringing a greenhorn for the most important position or wasting the opportunity to give Carthy a game and build on his previous time.

Kearney started at 15 in the Italian game, with Conway on the bench, I will never understand that decision, Conway or Larmour should have started 15 and Kearney on the bench if needs be.

Plenty of back row options could have been tried, but the incumbents are always picked.

Last count 35 players had a chance in 6 nations

How many more did you want to start?

Kearney had little to no rugby before the game and needed a run against Italy.

The back row options in 6 nations looked great, then Leavy went over in the Qtrs(after the 6 nations) and it all went to s**t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AdamD wrote: »
    Cummiskey in the irish times somehow has POM as Irelands highest rated player yesterday at 6/10, laughable.
    I think like other pundits he's allowed his ire at the result to get in the way. Based on the highlights the real disaster was the second half. Daily Telegraph was far more complimentary and had Henderson, VdF at 7 and one or two others at 6. Lamour for sure is not getting on the plane and Best,Cronin and Stander shouldn't be either. But they will as cover. Next 6N needs to be a rebuilding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I know pom’s had his big days but is it time to look at stander at 6 and Conan at 8? Should bring a bit more physicality. Stander was terrible yesterday so I’d nearly even look at ruddock at 6.

Was very surprised with how. Bad the line outs were yesterday thought Henderson would have been a better decision maker calling them. Makes toner a real nailed on player.

Of the number 2s first pair are a disaster and Best is done. Ruddock or Beirne maybe. Number 8 is well covered . We have a problem at 10 with the first two injured and Byrne being so-so bringing us down to number 4. At 15 only Kearney is worth the risk, Larmour needs to learn his craft.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I know pom’s had his big days but is it time to look at stander at 6 and Conan at 8? Should bring a bit more physicality. Stander was terrible yesterday so I’d nearly even look at ruddock at 6.

Was very surprised with how. Bad the line outs were yesterday thought Henderson would have been a better decision maker calling them. Makes toner a real nailed on player.

Toner was always a nailed on player....we just need a more bluky second row option for SA if we meet them....that should have been Kleyn and Henderson....the line out malfunction was down to everyone.....POM gets picked for lineout and he was useless as well....Best and Cronin had dodgy throw......catalogue of errors but plenty of time to fix

More concerning was England seemed to be able to read our lineout moves....everytime they had their players in the right position....so has our lineout become stale?

Apart from Carty I agree, he has done nothing in warm up and very little in 6 nations last year. This famous break threat?

They did try different things in the two games, they didn’t work

No point discussing how good/bad England are as Ireland offered little in defence....

If you look at the minutes carty has got, he’s had very little to work with. More often than not when he’s been on the pack have been going backwards and he hasn’t had the opportunity to really get the ball in his hands. He’s shown some lovely kicking from hand in any game he’s played for Ireland.his place kicking hasn’t been great but there’s been a few touch line conversations in there. He really needs to start a game to see what he can actually do though

is_that_so wrote: »
    Of the number 2s first pair are a disaster and Best is done. Ruddock or Beirne maybe. Number 8 is well covered . We have a problem at 10 with the first two injured and Byrne being so-so bringing us down to number 4. At 15 only Kearney is worth the risk, Larmour needs to learn his craft.

Up till yesterday Best was doing good so again as I keep saying this is a preseason game.

Scannell has a chance to step up now, hopefully he can and nail the number 2 slot. Cronin's confidence is shot to sh*t with Ireland......

Sexton is not an injury concern, he was never playing that match. Byrne done well yesterday with one mistake the kick out on the full but that was a very rare issue for him and he just caught the ball wrong. Carty, if he starts next week, really needs to step it up.

Maybe we need to run Henshaw at 15 again.....

I am not sure about the Aki/Ringrose partnership. I would prefer Farrell at 12 and Ringrose at 13. It looks better. Aki/Henshaw in centre looks better......

The point is, we have a big squad, we have options......more than any other Irish team ever had, all down to Joe and work done over the last 4 years.

Do you honestly think any of those players outside the incumbents have had the exposure and experience and are able to start in those positions in a big game?

If you look at the minutes carty has got, he’s had very little to work with. More often than not when he’s been on the pack have been going backwards and he hasn’t had the opportunity to really get the ball in his hands. He’s shown some lovely kicking from hand in any game he’s played for Ireland.his place kicking hasn’t been great but there’s been a few touch line conversations in there. He really needs to start a game to see what he can actually do though

Ok people need to start reviewing players based on Ireland and not because they come from XYZ

Every other players is getting a hammering and the best we can come up with Carty is he had a few kicks from hand, he has done nothing in a green jersey so far, even against a poor Italy team the game died when he came on. That is his fault at 10. Carberry was running the show prior. Everything was going throught the 10 so he had plenty of ball in hand

So far based on 6 nations and warm up, I agree with Andy Dunne and Byrne has jumped him.....I think he will be lucky to make it on the plane

Do you honestly think any of those players outside the incumbents have had the exposure and experience and are able to start in those positions in a big game?

Not trying to be disrespectful but have you watched any rugby in the last 4 years?

All of those players have played either at international or in bug games(Heineken cup finals etc) in those positions for their provinces.

Might be easier if you explain what you are talking about?

Up till yesterday Best was doing good so again as I keep saying this is a preseason game.

Scannell has a chance to step up now, hopefully he can and nail the number 2 slot. Cronin's confidence is shot to sh*t with Ireland......

Sexton is not an injury concern, he was never playing that match. Byrne done well yesterday with one mistake the kick out on the full but that was a very rare issue for him and he just caught the ball wrong. Carty, if he starts next week, really needs to step it up.

Maybe we need to run Henshaw at 15 again.....

I am not sure about the Aki/Ringrose partnership. I would prefer Farrell at 12 and Ringrose at 13. It looks better. Aki/Henshaw in centre looks better......

The point is, we have a big squad, we have options......more than any other Irish team ever had, all down to Joe and work done over the last 4 years.
    I think age has caught up to Best and we are seeing the end of the line appearing very rapidly. Had there been a better option he would have been dropped in the 6N. I agree on the centres and think Farrell is a better choice. There's a risk with Henshaw at 15, even if they've worked on it. He'd need game time and there is no time left before the RWC. Kearney, even in his twilight years, is a safer bet.
    We do have cover in all areas but it looks a bit threadbare in some places -hooker, Number 10 and full back and some serious form issues around the back row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I really dont know what you expect Joe to do about hooker. The players simply aren't there. And if the players arent there then it really doesn't matter what the head coach does.

At 6 inreckon Ruddock would have had more game time but for poorly timed injuries. Stander has also played there a good bit and now Beirne is getting reasonable time there. So I reckon we've done all we can there.

At 8 we would still have Heaslip there but for injury. Stander has stepped in there well and Murphy has played there a bit. Conan only really deserved a shot at it from last season and hes gotten decent time there too. Again, not much more Joe could have done.

At 10 we started to develop Carbery in his first senior season when we still had Jackson on the scene. Losing Jackson meant we needed to get Carbery up to speed quickly so he had to be the focus. Carty got a look in as soon as he deserved it, like Conan. There is a slight argument that could be made about Byrne getting more time, but I thought he did fairly well yesterday overall given the platform he had to work off so I'm not sure how much better off we'd be had he gotten more time earlier on.

At 15 Joe has looked at Addison, Larmour and Henshaw to back up Kearney. None have shown they can take over from him, with Addison possibly being the best of the bunch but with badly timed injury preventing him making an impact. Again, the players just arent there.

I think overall Joe has done a good job at squad development. Sure there are decisions that can be argued for particular games, but overall I doubt they'd make much of a difference. Most teams would be in trouble if they lost their first 2 10s. Who would England select there if they did for example.

Ok people need to start reviewing players based on Ireland and not because they come from XYZ

Every other players is getting a hammering and the best we can come up with Carty is he had a few kicks from hand, he has done nothing in a green jersey so far, even against a poor Italy team the game died when he came on. That is his fault at 10. Carberry was running the show prior. Everything was going throught the 10 so he had plenty of ball in hand

So far based on 6 nations and warm up, I agree with Andy Dunne and Byrne has jumped him.....I think he will be lucky to make it on the plane

Your opinion on how Byrne played yesterday should be the same as carty so. In fact you should be more damning of Byrne as he actually started the game where it’s easier to influence the game. Byrne was at ten and never got to grips with the game. Byrne did nothing really yesterday he looked out of his depth. He had a few good cross field kicks and place kicking was good but apart from that there was nothing, sane as carty a few good kicks from hand. Now the team preformace as a whole never game him a proper platform just as with Carty, but if you’re going to be so hard on carty surely you should be similar with Byrne?

Not trying to be disrespectful but have you watched any rugby in the last 4 years?

All of those players have played either at international or in bug games(Heineken cup finals etc) in those positions for their provinces.

We are not looking at the last four years, we are looking at current and recent form and it's shocking for many of them.

We are not looking at the last four years, we are looking at current and recent form and it's shocking for many of them.

Current and recent form is two preseason friendly games

I will use small words.

because of the limited or no game time that backup players have had against good teams in tough games there is not sufficient (enough) experience for them to put pressure on the incumbent (person already in that position) and will most likely be unable to play at a required level if needed to start against a big team.

It’s not that complicated.

Current and recent form is two preseason friendly games
    And the whole of the 6N this year. It is also supposed to be the marker for imminent RWC selection, which looks more likely to include the usual suspects, in from or not and some players who might be in form. I'm still hopeful we can get to a Q-final but it could go either way at this juncture.

I think individual players are getting it too rough. Only a few players have dipped since 2017/18. The real issue is that the game has evolved since Ireland were really successful and it doesn’t seem Ireland’s game plan has evolved as quickly.

Your opinion on how Byrne played yesterday should be the same as carty so. In fact you should be more damning of Byrne as he actually started the game where it’s easier to influence the game. Byrne was at ten and never got to grips with the game. Byrne did nothing really yesterday he looked out of his depth. He had a few good cross field kicks and place kicking was good but apart from that there was nothing, sane as carty a few good kicks from hand. Now the team preformace as a whole never game him a proper platform just as with Carty, but if you’re going to be so hard on carty surely you should be similar with Byrne?

Carty played against Italy.....we where overpowering Italy up front with Carberry...Carty came on and the match died because he couldnteven link the play

Byrne was linking the game well yesterday I felt, problem was after 2-3 phases the Englandrush defence was pushing back our forwards and then we had to scramble back.....

Byrne showed yesterday a lot more than anything Carty has done against one of the best sides in Europe

Carty has played against Italy and done nothing.Twice

Carty played against Italy.....we where overpowering Italy up front with Carberry...Carty came on and the match died because he couldnteven link the play

Byrne was linking the game well yesterday I felt, problem was after 2-3 phases the Englandrush defence was pushing back our forwards and then we had to scramble back.....

Byrne showed yesterday a lot more than anything Carty has done against one of the best sides in Europe

And the simple fact is that neither are good enough yet for international level against Tier 1 teams.

• Advertisement

I think individual players are getting it too rough. Only a few players have dipped since 2017/18. The real issue is that the game has evolved since Ireland were really successful and it doesn’t seem Ireland’s game plan has evolved as quickly.
    Stander, Best, Cronin, Murray, Sexton( both injury-affected) and possibly POM. That's quite a few key players.

And the whole of the 6N this year. It is also supposed to be the marker for imminent RWC selection, which looks more likely to include the usual suspects, in from or not and some players who might be in form. I'm still hopeful we can get to a Q-final but it could go either way at this juncture.

The 6 nations when we played at least 35 players and still could of won it at the start of the Wales game?

I will use small words.

because of the limited or no game time that backup players have had against good teams in tough games there is not sufficient (enough) experience for them to put pressure on the incumbent (person already in that position) and will most likely be unable to play at a required level if needed to start against a big team.

It’s not that complicated.

Unfortunately you don't seem to understand what "I will use small words" means.....

So again, without sweeping statements which have absolutely nothing to back them up.

Who has been limited? who is not in the squad or been given a chance to nail a first team spot?

Give me the list

Then look at the 2015 squad and look at the potential 2019 squad and please tell me which is stronger squad.

The 6 nations when we played at least 35 players and still could of won it at the start of the Wales game?
    There are only 15 on the pitch and no 15 performed the way Irish teams had in 2018. There were also three poor teams from the outset - France, Scotland and Italy. Not fronting up in the big games is how you measure performances.

Unfortunately you don't seem to understand what "I will use small words" means.....

So again, without sweeping statements which have absolutely nothing to back them up.

Who has been limited? who is not in the squad or been given a chance to nail a first team spot?

Give me the list

Then look at the 2015 squad and look at the potential 2019 squad and please tell me which is stronger squad.

Fella, you list Henshaw as an option for 15. You haven’t a rashers. No a rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Some Yoke wrote: »

I know that (why the ffs, having a bad day?) and it doesn't change my point. He was the only true threat to Kearney once we were adequately stocked at centre and Schmidt was beginning to select him there before his career ended

Not really. Payne only ever played 15 in injury crises, Joe never saw him as a genuine option there.

• Advertisement

Carty made a bigger impact against Wales in the six nations than Sexton did in that match. Doesn’t make him a better player. If you’re comparing a guy starting with a team at 90% full strength with two extra weeks of preseason training with a guy who came of the bench for essentially the b team in the first game of preseason there’s something wrong. If Carty starts next week and is **** fair enough. I just don’t get why you’re digging out carty and pushing for Byrne when they both have pretty much done the same for Ireland.

Fella, you list Henshaw as an option for 15. You haven’t a rashers. No a rashers.

I am shocked you couldn't answer.

Who started 15 against England? maybe you missed that game

So again, without some sweeping statement...answer the question?

I am shocked you couldn't answer.

Who started 15 against England? maybe you missed that game

So again, without some sweeping statement...answer the question?

What question

Stander, Best, Cronin, Murray, Sexton( both injury-affected) and possibly POM. That's quite a few key players.

Best(age) should have been replaced but he’s captain so Schmidt needed balls there.
    Stander has been poor but not terrible but easily replaced if needed (Conan/ruddock)
    Croinin not good enough to start, never had been looks worse because of the team failing
    Murray and Sexton are injured and over relied on. Not there fault really marmion and carbery really should have been pushed more in 6 nations.
    Pom is the big one for me, he just doesn’t cut it at the minute the game has gone beyond him. Passion alone isn’t enough anymore, need a more physical presence or someone who’s involved in the full 80 minutes not just 2/3 big moments over the 80

Carty made a bigger impact against Wales in the six nations than Sexton did in that match. Doesn’t make him a better player. If you’re comparing a guy starting with a team at 90% full strength with two extra weeks of preseason training with a guy who came of the bench for essentially the b team in the first game of preseason there’s something wrong. If Carty starts next week and is **** fair enough. I just don’t get why you’re digging out carty and pushing for Byrne when they both have pretty much done the same for Ireland.

All players are up for review, just because one comes from Connacht doesn't mean he should be left off

So far Carty has played both match's and done nothing. In the 6 natiosn he done nothing.

How many chances does he need to get? we have 2 warm up games left and then squad needs to be picked. At this stage should we plough another game into Carty? or are we better giving those minutes to Byrne?

Of course its Joe decision, personally I would plough the minutes into Byrne. Carty got his chance, fluffed it.

People are on here complaining Joe is too conservative and the next post they want XYZ from their own provinces kept in the team when that person is not performing. Which is it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement