Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culchie young wans aping the D4 accent

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

mmrs wrote: »
    Myshirt, your describing the origin of these words and their initial meaning. The beauty of language is it evolves over time. Any Dub, true or not, will tell you a culchie is anyone from outside of Dublin, excluding the Northies of course, they are their own special thing.
    Why lump all your compatriots from outside Dublin into one category and why use a label for them that many find pejorative or inaccurate. Other counties don't do that and neither do most capitals (ttbomk). You live in a great country with great people, don't create boundaries where none should exist.

Ps. Contrary to your claim, not every Dubliner shares your definition of the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

I've actually nothing against Culchies. They can be great craic talking to in the pub, and without a few hardworking culchies manning the farms we'd all starve to death.

I'm talking about young women from the likes of Ballina, Tullamore and Killarney who after a few weeks in UCD develop the D4 accent and the usual customs of wine, rugby and sh!te about "exploring " Thailand and Peru.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind would fake a Dub accent.

the d4 accent isnt a dublin accent. its a made uppey, fake one thats a cross being west brit and western america. its certainly not irish and it most certainly isnt dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Never mind D4 accent v culchie accent, what about this mid Atlantic shyte that a lot of young wans have now where did that come from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I come from Dublin 14 and I went to UCD in the 1990s.

My accent is neither "Dort" nor "Traditional Dub". It's inbetween.

There were dozens of classmates from outside Dublin whose accents changed in the space of months. It was remarkable to behold. Their parents and neighbours would hardly recognise it.

There were also Dubs with "traditional" accents that suddenly became Eliza Doolittle within weeks. The Rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

I suppose people are a product of their environment.

A J1 student in the USA or an Irish person in Australia would eventually start to come out with 'Hey. How you doin?' or 'No worries, mate'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Never mind D4 accent v culchie accent, what about this mid Atlantic shyte that a lot of young wans have now where did that come from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Friends

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

ongarboy wrote: »
    Personally, if someone is that bothered by how someone else speaks or their accent, it says more about the person being bothered than the person with the supposedly put on accent. I can't help but think someone must have an inferiority complex if they are annoyed by someone else speaking in a more cultured or seemingly put on accent. If you feel they think they are somehow better than you because they talk "posher", then that sound more like projection of your own inferiority complex.

FYI - David Norris or other similar sounding Irish people are not putting on an accent. That is exactly how he and a certain cohort of Irish people speak and is known as an Anglo Irish accent. See more information on it below. You or I would speak similarly if we were brought up in the same environment/surroundings/families where that accent was spoken.

http://dialectblog.com/2011/02/02/dublin-a-tale-of-two-accents/

I'm a culchie and proud of it but I now live in Dublin. Therefore if a Dub calls me a culchie, I take it as a compliment....however if I was ashamed or felt inferior about being a culchie, then of course I'd take offence with being called one.....as quite a few on here seem to be, based on their responses/reactions/defensiveness....Same goes for Dubs or other urbanites who spout superiority through name-calling (if you are comfortable in your own skins, you don't need to resort to belittling others)

I think you are reading too much into it. The basic point for me is that a lot of those makey uppy accents grate awfully on the ear, strangle vowels, mangle pronunciation until words barely resemble their original selves and end on the annoying and confusing rising moronic interrogative whether a question or not. It makes people sound unsure if what they're saying, as if questioning themselves and ultimately rather dumb sounding.
    It about how it sounds. It's nice to hear people speak well, but people can speak well and have a local, regional, country, city or whatever accent that is authentic.
    The only authentic thing about the accent being complained about here is that it's definitively fake unlike other real accents. This is not speaking well because it's full of incorrect pronunciation.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

And they wearing nothing. A bit of duct tape covering their nipples and a mini skirt up their hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

And they wearing nothing. A bit of duct tape covering their nipples and a mini skirt up their hole.

This was a thread giving out about these girls and now your praising them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Putting on my linguistic hat here, this is a feature of language, called linguistic register, and is a feature of all languages, where language changes to suite circumstance, environment etc. (It can also apply to writing) Though the extent to which people do it now seems rather more amplified.
    Not sure if it is shallow behaviour by some who need a "fit in" with a certain crowd, or something working on a more sub-conscious level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

francois wrote: »
    Though the extent to which people do it now seems rather more amplified.
    Not sure if it is shallow behaviour by some who need a "fit in" with a certain crowd, or something working on a more sub-conscious level.

It's a lot to do with where people source their information these days.

TV and The Internet. Nobody under the age of 35 seems to read anymore and that includes book and newspapers. They get thier information from posts shared on FB that they will *like* or ignore without really understanding what's being said to them.
    Heavily mutated "news stories" do the rounds on social media and are shared without question.
    On TV sentences peppered with "i was like" and "it was like" are no longer the preserve of west coat surfers..it's endemic..nobody seems to have use for a healthy vocabulary anymore..the word "like" is padding for almost everything.

People are getting stupider and if you noticed them getting louder it's because everybody wears headphones and prolonged use wrecks your hearing...we were told that back in the 80s!

Advertisement