Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(temporarily) Managing employees as a non manager.

Options
  • 07-02-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, throwaway account to avoid any implications.

So we were recently asked in work to have month long projects (or subprojects that could run up to multiple months). On this month(s) the lead of project will also be responsible not just for his work but for the work of the others that are assigned to his project. For that month(s) you are essentially their manager, you give them tasks, assign their time, give them training if needed, even have biweekly feedback calls with them.
    Initially I thought it might be a good idea as you can have more control over the project but then I sat down and thought of this differently.

Now, speaking very negatively and hypothetically about it (just to challenge this), why should I be responsible for someone else's work? I am not paid to overlook other employees, so why should I do it? I don't need the exposure as my work speaks for itself. Also, why should I take the blame for the mistakes of other people when/if it happens? Again, I am not paid to have that role nor did I request it.

I am just looking to hear more views on this, why I am wrong or maybe why I am correct thinking like that. Maybe I am seeing this in the wrong way and there is something to be gained. Maybe I am seeing the correct way and I should tell them to leave me alone. I cant really discuss this with my coworkers so I am hoping for some views over here.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

You can look at this 2 ways:

- here's an opportunity to grow and show that I am an employee that can take on new tasks and manage change in the work environment.

or

- I can do the opposite.

As a people manager I know which one I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Will you be working along these people or do you all work remotely/from different offices?

It sounds like management are using this as a trial to identify a good candidate for a future manager or else just delegating responsibility to make their own lives easier.

Given it’s for a short time and a focussed project it doesn’t sound like it would be too difficult to manage. So it’s up to you if project management is an area you want to dip your toes in.

If I was in your shoes I would like to try and establish what the motivation is for these joint projects so at least you’re going in with no illusions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Depends what you want op. If you want to move up the ladder and into management it's obviously a good opportunity to show you are capable of that. If you are happy where you are and have no desire to move up then it's probably more of an inconvenience for you. This is likely a stupid question knowing how employers operate but I presume they aren't paying you extra for the added responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can stay licking the bulls ass or grab it by the horns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You take these opportunities in life and you run with them. If you have any aspiration to be a manager or if you want to develop your leadership skills, you need to take this on.

Understand the project in depth and make sure everyone knows exactly what is expected of them in their role. Unless necessary, let them get on with their work and trust them as professionals. Use praise when deserved but don't be afraid to highlight to someone when they are not where they need to be.

Have weekly check in meetings to monitor overall progress and make sure actions are logged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Being devils advocate here but seeing as your not an official manager in this context have you the authority to pull them up on their work if it is sub standard? If they turn to you and say well you’re not my real “manager” and thus ignore your instructions can you discipline them or must you get a senior to do this for you?

If it were me I would take on the challenge but only if it it explicitly noted that I was in charge and that they answer to me as the project manager, if you don’t have that authority then I would think hard about it!

Good luck either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roropun

Thank you all so far. To add a few things, I am not against this, I am just trying to see all the sides of it and maybe setup some of my own ground rules before I blindly accept it.

So the initial thought was that this is great. But at the same time, you are giving me a hell of a lot more tasks plus my own work with no (short-term, no idea about long-term) gains plus I am responsible of the deliverables of others, not if they only deliver, but the quality of the deliverables as well.

The motivation behind this is that there is a new vp in place who wants to make changes on the way we work, so our senior management decided down that route. They won't be promoting anyone for the foreseeable future nor is there any extra pay for the additional workload.

frag420 that's a very good question, they would answer to me as a project manager but anything other than that I would guess if I have issues with someone's work I would have to bring it up to the management, I don't have any authority over them and of course they can say I am not their real manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Clearly the management team are trying to identify good candidates for a management position, you would be stupid not to take this opportunity and give it your all. I would kill for an opportunity like that in work

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In a lot of companies these days for internal promotions you must do the job before you are given the job and before you are paid for the job.

Sounds like they are doing that here, except it's a notional open interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you go in with the i'm not their manager attitude your goosed, take it as you are but you need them all on your side at the same time.

There not offering any extra pay and it's a short gig, I wouldn't be afraid to ask managment for a sweetner though, would they be willing to give you a voucher for the restraunt down the road or something if you pull this off succesfully.
    If not you've got to think about the long term pay off, would it be worth putting your hand in your pocket when it's over with if you pull it off succesfully and take them all for a few pints. Say this to them as you need them on board as the last thing you want is it turning into a mess with you directing it.
    You need to look good coming out of it. Even something simple like grabbing a few icecreams or a round of coffe when there trying to snooze after lunch.

The best result is they come out of this thinking they wouldn't mind you as manager all the time ad the VP thinks your goldenballs as you did such a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My initial opinion is that you should say yes, but you are right to think though how this will work and make sure that the structures are in place to make this a success ( or minimize the chance of this not working).

It's the norm for me, and most in my industry to be reporting to a project manager for a time and then moving to a different project and manager.
    If you said "You're not my real manager", you'd be bounced out the door so fast your feet would not hit the floor.

If this is going to be an unpopular cultural change in your company ( which you eluded to above "I don't have any authority over them and of course they can say I am not their real manager.") then it's likely to be a bigger problem and one that you can't solve on your own.

You should make sure that you aren't expected to do a full workload as well as manage everyone else's job. Also ensure that if someone isn't pulling their weight, this is obvious from your weekly reports.

Read up on project management and put a plan to your boss

This should be a practical plan for how the work is planned and reporting on ( it should also put in plenty of buzzwords to impress)

I would recommend the Project management books by Fergus O'Connell

http://fergusoconnell.com/books/project-management/

"What you need to know about Project management" is cheap and easy to read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Acting up into a role - usually a good thing.

One thing that impacts on promotions to management is a lack of people management experience. In some instances, companies will give the job to somebody who's already at that level (sideways move) because they've already got those skills.

So in your case, you should look at this as personal development opportunity and a chance to get a flavour of how to be a manager. Having that under your belt could make a big difference at a future interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i see some missed a simple question, is there any opportunity to become manager full time, or is it a case of once off and youll be back to doing whatever you did before.

Now we cant know how your company operates but you might have a clue is there progressive path, where you might get evaluated at the end of it and promoted/ pay raise or theres no chance it will happen and company just takes it for granted to give extra workload just because they cant bother to hire pay extra on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Project Managers often manage projects and project tasks without taking on line management responsibility. Make sure that you're not overreaching here.

Will these employees continue to work with their main line manager over the period? Will you be responsible for ALL of their time, or just part of it.

Advertisement