Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A6 Xenon bulbs

• 07-02-2019 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi lads.
    I have to replace both the dipped headlight & main beam xenon bulbs on the passenger side of my car.
    Anyone recommend somewhere online to get them at a reasonable price?
    I see them listed for €93 each on Halfords website but wondering if there is a reputable place online that ye would use for buying this type of thing?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

https://www.powerbulbs.com/

Code FEB2019 will get 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Lichtex.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's possible it's the same bulb, bi-xenon uses a single bulb for both high and low beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭gaillimh

It's possible it's the same bulb, bi-xenon uses a single bulb for both high and low beam.
    I just rang Audi to get a quote - €290 per bulb fitted:eek:
    Lord. Says they are not standard - they are gas discharging bulbs or something like that.
    Looking online I'm not even sure which bulbs exactly are the right ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

gaillimh wrote: »
    I just rang Audi to get a quote - €290 per bulb fitted:eek:
    Lord. Says they are not standard - they are gas discharging bulbs or something like that.
    Looking online I'm not even sure which bulbs exactly are the right ones.

Thats the going rate for a xenon bulb in a main dealer -they were doing free replacements a short time ago :D They are a gas discharge which is a fancy way of saying they are Xenon (gas) bulbs.

It's probably a D3S bulb but double check, as was said Bi xenon headlights use one bulb for both dip and main, i've used the powerbulbs site above and Amazon in the past to buy D3S bulbs and never paid more than 50-70 for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭gaillimh

tossy wrote: »
    Thats the going rate for a xenon bulb in a main dealer -they were doing free replacements a short time ago :D They are a gas discharge which is a fancy way of saying they are Xenon (gas) bulbs.

It's probably a D3S bulb but double check, as was said Bi xenon headlights use one bulb for both dip and main, i've used the powerbulbs site above and Amazon in the past to buy D3S bulbs and never paid more than 50-70 for one.
    Thanks very much for the replies lads - as ye can probably gather I haven't a clue about this stuff :-)
    Is there a way to find out for sure if it's bi-xenon on mine?
    If not just the one bulb - would the dipped and main bulbs be the same (i.e. I would buy 2 of the same bulb)?
    Appreciate the help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Thanks very much for the replies lads - as ye can probably gather I haven't a clue about this stuff :-)
    If not just the one bulb - would the dipped and main bulbs be the same (i.e. I would buy 2 of the same bulb)?

Is the dip and main beam not working on the passenger side ? It could also be an igniter or ballast issue but a bulb is cheaper so try that first. You can enter your make model and year on the power bulbs site and see what bulbs your car takes. If you gave your reg to the Audi dealer when they quoted the price and they said xenon then i'd be surprised if it wasn't a bi - xenon light - what year is the A6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Audi quoted me 243 plus vat for just the bulb years back.
    It's madness. Mine was a Philips D3s and I got the exact one, Philips as well for about 60 online.
    I believe they are far cheaper now as well. This was a few years back.
    You can swap bulb to other headlight to be sure the bulb is the issue. If the fault moves with the bulb, you have your answer. In my case, the bulb shattered so it was pretty clear cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Look at the website that was posted by someone earlier, it allows you to enter your make, model and year.

Advertisement