Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good reliable budget car - 30 year old guy

• 07-02-2019 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Guys

I have had great help on this forum for another issue & really appreciate any help in my pursuit of buying a new car:
    • Man - 30 years old
    • Budget: As low as possible - up to 6k
    • Looking for an automatic if possible
    • Looking for as good fuel consumption, mileage and road tax as possible
    • Ultimately looking for something cheap, suitable for a young man and most importantly, reliable to get me from A to B

I thought I would just ask the experts here what they think as I have limited knowledge of cars. I have just come out of a bad experience buying a car from a garage so any help / guidance would be really appreciated

Kind rgds
    Z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

Seat Mii , these will mainly be ex hire cars ,at the higher mileage in auto , but ce la vi,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-mii-1-0-automatic-2013-finance-available/20977699

A lot of heads wills give out about automated manuals but these work brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bigus wrote: »
    Seat Mii , these will mainly be ex hire cars ,at the higher mileage in auto , but ce la vi,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-mii-1-0-automatic-2013-finance-available/20977699

A lot of heads wills give out about automated manuals but these work brilliantly.

The auto box in those is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ziggyj30

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Was looking at an old merc but they arent great on fuel consumption.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The auto box in those is dreadful.

This is not anything like a Toyota mmt auto , so much so , The experts in auto express disagree with you

[Verdict
    4stars
    The auto box and five-door body add yet more strings to the Mii’s bow. Although the five-speeder can occasionally be slow to react, once used to it you can still make smooth progress, so it’s a compelling choice for drivers who insist their car changes gear itself. And the extra doors make it much easier to take full advantage of the roomy interior.]

As for economy , north of 60 mpg.

Thanks guys. Does anyone know which car is the best in terms of the "Big 3"

1. Insurance cost
    2. Petrol consumption
    3. Road tax.

Obviously something like a Lexus CT200H, Hybrid, 1.6, (low tax, relatively small engine and good fuel consumption) (Though quite expensive) The other hybrids with smaller engines appear to be Honda Civics. Is there a cheaper car than a CT200H that would fit this bill (not looking for a granny car) possibly a toyota? :)

Really appreciate all the responses to date

• Advertisement

:(
    Bigus wrote: »
    This is not anything like a Toyota mmt auto , so much so , The experts in auto express disagree with you

[Verdict
    4stars
    The auto box and five-door body add yet more strings to the Mii’s bow. Although the five-speeder can occasionally be slow to react, once used to it you can still make smooth progress, so it’s a compelling choice for drivers who insist their car changes gear itself. And the extra doors make it much easier to take full advantage of the roomy interior.]

As for economy , north of 60 mpg.

It’s very similar to the MMT. Not quite as bad but still not good. Auto Express (or Auto Bild) have the horn for anything VW.

Ziggyj30 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Does anyone know which car is the best in terms of the "Big 3"

1. Insurance cost
    2. Petrol consumption
    3. Road tax.

Obviously something like a Lexus CT200H, Hybrid, 1.6, (low tax, relatively small engine and good fuel consumption) (Though quite expensive) The other hybrids with smaller engines appear to be Honda Civics. Is there a cheaper car than a CT200H that would fit this bill (not looking for a granny car) possibly a toyota? :)

Really appreciate all the responses to date

I think your 6 k budget is too low for what you want .
    Anyhow a CT200 h is 1.8 L , but engine cc size is somewhat irrelevant when it comes to hybrid for both insurance and tax , all low in hybrids case . Only other one to mention would be Auris hybrid , but the decent model starts in 12/13 so blows your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your not going to get a decent CT200h for 6k.

I'd be looking at a Honda Civic hatchback 1.8 litre, post 2007 ones have cheap tax and they don't give much if any trouble:

For example:

ODlhNDRiMjVlNWQ3ZmNlYTAyZjFmNjFiMzJhM2QwODnmTxKnosz0NLoGZeVGtVNmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTc2NTAwNTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-1-8i-es/20941570

Thanks all for all of the responses. A part of me really just wants to buy a very low cost car (as cheap as possible) that is also cheap on tax, insurance and petrol, I heard the old ford focuses are quite reliable and will go forever. Anything else in this bracket that people would recommmend? Thanks for all your support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Avoid the Seat Mii Automatic at all costs. Its a really nasty gearbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If I was looking for something cheap and reliable I'd buy a corolla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks all for all of the responses. A part of me really just wants to buy a very low cost car (as cheap as possible) that is also cheap on tax, insurance and petrol, I heard the old ford focuses are quite reliable and will go forever. Anything else in this bracket that people would recommmend? Thanks for all your support.

Honda Civic 1.8 like the one posted above. Few cars would be more reliable.

Hi All,

Thanks for getting back to me again. I like the Civics but I am talking about something really low budget, like literally to get me from A to B for as long as possible, without killing me on fuel, tax etc

Cheap to buy = more expensive to insure and probably more to tax and fuel.
    Expensive to buy = cheaper to insure and (probably) to fuel and tax but depreciation will be a killer.
    Lower price cars that seem cheaper to fuel, insure and tax like cheaper post 08 diesels may be a moneypit in repairs if you don't do your homework.
    Running any car is expensive really. Look at how much mileage you do in a year and start from there.
    For most drivers the 1.8 Civic offers a mix of low purchase price, great reliability, good driving and owning experience and not great but acceptable fuel economy. The annual tax differences with some more expensive cars may seem high but in the context of overall motoring expenses for the several years you own the car it won't be that significant. Get insurance quotes for a car before buying anything to let you know what that cost will be for each car.

Hi All,

Thanks for getting back to me again. I like the Civics but I am talking about something really low budget, like literally to get me from A to B for as long as possible, without killing me on fuel, tax etc

To be fair a 1.8 civic ticks all those boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

What about a Prius?

Not huge on the shape of the prius. I think the civic might be a good option. I actually love the CT 200H though I think they are beautiful
    At the end of the day it comes down to how the car looks as well. What is the oldest you would go on a Civic. Any recommendations of good value Civics in the 4-6k range.

Some of these seem really over priced. Any threads with recommendations on how to import a car from the UK. Would I be better off doing it myself or using an importer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Some of these seem really over priced. Any threads with recommendations on how to import a car from the UK. Would I be better off doing it myself or using an importer?

You'll have to pay VRT on any imports, it likely won't be worth your time at all, especially given your budget.

You'll have to pay VRT on any imports, it likely won't be worth your time at all, especially given your budget.

Thanks for the heads up re: importing. I had read an Irish times article which was a proponent of importing. To be honest all in all I am really torn between getting a 2012 - 2014 CT 200H (Because I really like them) - and as such, spending a lot of money / getting a loan or just getting a very reliable old car that will get me from A to B.

I am not sure I like the civics all that much. Is there any small, reliable car that would suit a man (rather than an old granny) that would cost like circa €2000? I know that certain years and makes of older cars can go forever without breaking.

Ultimately when it boils down to it, a nice Lexus is nice for a while but after a few months, the feeling wares off and your left with a high interest car loan or a very financially taxing PCP model. What are peoples thoughts on this or am I being overly harsh? I also feel that garages typically will do you every time you go to one.

I really appreciate all the advice on this thread to date.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up re: importing. I had read an Irish times article which was a proponent of importing. To be honest all in all I am really torn between getting a 2012 - 2014 CT 200H (Because I really like them) - and as such, spending a lot of money / getting a loan or just getting a very reliable old car that will get me from A to B.

I am not sure I like the civics all that much. Is there any small, reliable car that would suit a man (rather than an old granny) that would cost like circa €2000? I know that certain years and makes of older cars can go forever without breaking.

Ultimately when it boils down to it, a nice Lexus is nice for a while but after a few months, the feeling wares off and your left with a high interest car loan or a very financially taxing PCP model. What are peoples thoughts on this or am I being overly harsh? I also feel that garages typically will do you every time you go to one.

I really appreciate all the advice on this thread to date.

If you want a good car around €2000, lurk around the bangernomics thread on here for a while and see what comes up. The people commenting know a lot about cars. I get the impression you're in no ruch so take yout time and see what you like the look of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what kind of mileage are you doing?

you mentioned a merc, the likes of the c and e class looked rubbish up until the newer models came out around 2009 or 2010... in my opinion and I reckon they will be out of budget and nearly all diesel...

I was going to mentioned what I see another poster has, insuring "old" cars, can be an issue for some, Id be getting quote on different cars and ages...

You know what you are getting with motor tax, would have a good idea with fuel consumption... Honestly, if you want low running costs and reliability, a nissan leaf!

I'm only doing very limited mileage, about 10km per day max, just going up and down to work about 5k away and to the gym. I had a look at that Bangornomics thread, some of them are shocking yokes. I feel I need something still half decent, maybe in the 6-10 k range but something actually nice looking is really key at the end of the day, which is why I love the CT 200H. I had a look at the leaf & love the idea of an electric, but am not mad on the aesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Looks are very subjective. An Audi A5 then maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

OP you're absolutely all over the place with what you want. One minute it's a 2k A to B wagon the next it's up to 6k good on tax good on fuel good on insurance and now you're talking about 6 to 10 K.

Based on your original post.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-corolla-petrol/21084181

pah wrote: »
    OP you're absolutely all over the place with what you want. One minute it's a 2k A to B wagon the next it's up to 6k good on tax good on fuel good on insurance and now you're talking about 6 to 10 K.

Based on your original post.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-toyota-corolla-petrol/21084181

Oh Pah, you are right I am all over the place with what I want, but I suppose thats the nature of this game, so many variables, im just trying to find the best option, appreciate your help :). A friend of my dads i met a while back was saying that a garage recommended him a particular year ford focus, not sure what the year was, but he mentioned that there are certain brands of certain cars, on certain years which will go forever without breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

EPAndlee wrote: »
    If I was looking for something cheap and reliable I'd buy a corolla

Corolla or most other toyotas eg Prius , up to 6k budget you won't do better for reliability.

Thanks ELM, im veering toward something small

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/used-2007-volkswagen-polo-comfort-dublin-fpa-201902225190383

Why would someone put one photo up on Carzone - rediculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I see multiple photos though I wish I didn't now. Lol, 70bhp 1.2 Polo Gti. Also joker asking 3,450 for a 12 year old Polo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

That polo is definitely dreamer thread material

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

... a particular year ford focus, not sure what the year was, but he mentioned that there are certain brands of certain cars, on certain years which will go forever without breaking.

Oh yeaaa... it's Ford Focus year "Toyota Hilux" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

Petrol hatchback between .06 &1.2L , co2 between 90 & 120, mpg combined between 45 & 75. These parameters are the most economical. And if you have a big dong you can drive a micra.
    P.s. for reliability check out the car reliability index... probably best not to go over 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Pretty certain that Polo is near me in West Dublin. Looks somewhat clean in the pictures but I'm almost certain it was a bit worn looking in passing...

lalababa wrote: »
    Petrol hatchback between .06 &1.2L , co2 between 90 & 120, mpg combined between 45 & 75. These parameters are the most economical. And if you have a big dong you can drive a micra.
    P.s. for reliability check out the car reliability index... probably best not to go over 50.

Cheers that so helpful, where can we check the reliability index?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This the most bizarre thread.
    From a polo to a Merc in two posts.

Have you contacted a broker and talked to them about insurance to help you consider what class of car you can afford.

Your easy picking to be ripped off as your just jumping from one thing to another.

Make a decision on exactly what your looking for and search for the best motor within that criteria you can afford.

Thanks for your response Brian. Is it fair to assume I am "easy picking to be ripped off"? I am fully aware of the insurance and tax implications. I am purely asking if that Merc is over priced. Please be self aware and try not to condescend people. Buying a car, as you probably know, is complex and subjective.

If you're looking for something economical, easy to insure, low maintenance and running costs, and also doing quite small mileage, a 2.2 litre diesel used Merc is completely the wrong direction.

If you're looking for something economical, easy to insure, low maintenance and running costs, and also doing quite small mileage, a 2.2 litre diesel used Merc is completely the wrong direction.

Cheers, really appreciate the steer. Is there a balance between something that looks really well, for a lad to drive, (not a granny car) and something that ticks those boxes above, perhaps back to the Civic. Sorry I know I am all over the place am just trying to work out the balance of all the factors.

- Automatic
    - Looks well
    - Easy to insure
    - low maintenance
    - low tax
    - decent running costs
    - not extortionate price (4- 8 k)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Toyota yaris. Have been told it is an impenetrable bullet. Have mine 9 years and love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Casati wrote: »

That car is a Uk import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

2009 Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI AMBITION AMTOMATIC PETROL
    Odometer: 92,404 miles /
    148,706 km Fuel economy: 39 MPG €5,995
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe921402cf3f3b3d6404b705955bb4d0bf5.jpg
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe92a38e8e392c13a26c50feb6df632df8a.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2183252&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D80%26o%5B%5D%3D683%26e%3D8000%26f%3D1%26tax%3D600%26b%3D2%26t%3D2%26g%3D0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm only doing very limited mileage, about 10km per day max, just going up and down to work about 5k away and to the gym. I had a look at that Bangornomics thread, some of them are shocking yokes. I feel I need something still half decent, maybe in the 6-10 k range but something actually nice looking is really key at the end of the day, which is why I love the CT 200H. I had a look at the leaf & love the idea of an electric, but am not mad on the aesthetic.
    You want a car for doing 10km a day? Get a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Belfast wrote: »
    That car is a Uk import.

As are the majority of cars registered in Ireland last year

Cheers, really appreciate the steer. Is there a balance between something that looks really well, for a lad to drive, (not a granny car) and something that ticks those boxes above, perhaps back to the Civic. Sorry I know I am all over the place am just trying to work out the balance of all the factors.

- Automatic
    - Looks well
    - Easy to insure
    - low maintenance
    - low tax
    - decent running costs
    - not extortionate price (4- 8 k)

The problem you're faced with is, you're doing low mileage so a big engined car isn't really a good option, avoid diesels at that mileage especially.

Decent running costs and low maintenance for 4-8k, but also be a luxury car like a Lexus/Merc/BMW etc generally don't go hand in hand. Servicing costs will be higher, and repair bills generally tend to be a good bit higher too.

Thargor wrote: »
    You want a car for doing 10km a day? Get a bike.

Fair, but the journey to my work has a fair few hills. Also the logistics of cycling to work in terms of having to shower at office and facilities arent always available. The civic looks decent, is the lack of Green light review a worry?

Fair, but the journey to my work has a fair few hills. Also the logistics of cycling to work in terms of having to shower at office and facilities arent always available. The civic looks decent, is the lack of Green light review a worry?

Get a mid drive bosch electric bike €2000 , no sweat, no insurance, no fuel, no tax, almost no maintenance. And goCar for long journeys.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=127452

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-3-2010-automatic/21174983

Well up in the years, looks grand and itd be reliable. For sale by a dealership. Tax is a drawback but its cheap to buy because of this so you're saving there. 16 months NCT

• Advertisement
Advertisement