Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing camera

Options
  • 07-02-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right forum, can the sales origin of a camera be traced through the serial number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Seanachai wrote: »
    Not sure if this is in the right forum, can the sales origin of a camera be traced through the serial number?

Might be worth asking here too -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably by the manufacturer, but probably also only if requested by law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Seanachai wrote: »

Presumably you're trying to determine if a camera is a grey import or not. Canon do offer a serial number check to determine this. Other manufacturers probably do the same.

Biggest issue with grey imports is that you'll have no manufacturer warranty, but also the licenced repair houses normally won't touch them either so you often can't even pay for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Presumably you're trying to determine if a camera is a grey import or not. Canon do offer a serial number check to determine this. Other manufacturers probably do the same.

Biggest issue with grey imports is that you'll have no manufacturer warranty, but also the licenced repair houses normally won't touch them either so you often can't even pay for repairs.

My camera was actually given to somebody who mislaid an identical camera, I have no receipt and I'm trying to prove the origin to show that it's not their camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

In that case, you can check the EXIF data on any image you ever took with your camera, and the camera's serial number will be recorded in it. Compare that to the serial number on the camera in question, and you'll see if it's yours or not.

http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi
    This website will give you that info, and your serial number should be in it, if the camera records such information into the Exif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

will it give the actual serial number? I know the sequence will be similar allright but I wasnt sure if it gives the serial number

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, it will. Windows cannot show most of the EXIF but PS or the website above can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, it will. Windows cannot show most of the EXIF but PS or the website above can.

Everydays a school day!

Advertisement