Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids took over our home

Options
  • 07-02-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have a house and I have made a kid's game room so they can leave their toys in that room and they are pretty good about it. I don't like stepping on some teddy bear first thing in the morning before I get my coffee. So, everything was fine until my aunt gave them a small trampoline for the birthday, which was last week.
    I am not a big fan of trampolines, but it is a good thing because it is a small trampoline so I can put it inside and not in the backyard, but it is still a trampoline.
    I am thinking of breaking my rule about no toys outside their game room (and their rooms) because I want to keep them under control when they are jumping on it. That means it should be in the living room.
    What to do? To break the rule or trust they will behave in it? (it has an enclosure and it looks pretty safe for a kids trampoline)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Excuse my french, But balls to that. It would be in the garden in mine.

Id want to play outside anyway and get some air!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is the most bizarre thread ever. Are you coping ok there, Captain von Trapp?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Of course it should be out the back, and not in the living room! Kids need fresh air and if you want to supervise them on it then you will have to go out with them.

You sound very strict I must say, they are only children and only small for a while. Unless you have 15 children the house is hardly overrun with toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s their home, they will only have toys about for a short time.

We just ensured toys were returned to their storage at bedtime, no tidy no story. After a short time it was usual business to do it, we even had a cheesy song :(

But we’re past toys now and I’m glad the kids felt the whole house was theirs as much as adults.

Trampoline belongs outside if it’s suitable, it brings them outside and makes the idea of outside play normalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Jaysus if you have to ask for advice for something like that what has the world come to,you seem more worried about getting your coffee in the morning than anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Had to check there I was in the right fourm thought I'd wandered of in to the parenting fourm for a min there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*mod warning* Please keep the thread on topic

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think I would allow them have it in a room where you can see them.
    My kids stuff tends to often make it out of there playroom

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

How big are we talking? Ours is 4’x4’.

In any case, your house, your rules, no need for a debate. This ain’t no democracy, a diktat will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Our living room floor, and most of the kitchen, is covered with toys 24/7. I gave out to my 2.5 year old yesterday for repeatedly throwing a breakable toy on the floor; in response I got a dirty look and was told "I'll get mammy to take me away from you". It sounds like you're already doing well by comparison, I wouldnt be too worried about the rules.

Trampoline to go in the garden IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Depends on what the trampoline is like , we had a small indoor one which had a bar to hold onto, if it’s anyway like a regular trampoline outside it would go.
    Only rule here is all toys most put away at bedtime...most toys are between bedroom and and living room. Better them playing with toys and having an imagination then head stuck in a Ipad. I certainly wouldn’t like to confine play to a room away from rest of the family. I enjoy looking and listening to my two playing or fighting as it normally ends up in a argument.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s their home, they will only have toys about for a short time.

Yeah I'd agree.

We have a 7 year age gap between our two boys. When our eldest was a tot I used to fret about toys lying around. Then I saw how fast he grew and the trikes and teddies turned to devices and consoles (which we ration btw).

Anyway our youngest is 17 months now and I'm definitely less highly strung this time around. I sort of enjoy the mess during the day when he's playing. I know I'll blink and he'll be gone off to school before I know it.

Some day when you're house is pristine and quiet you'll pine for that little trampoline getting in your way ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How would you relax in the sitting room with the kid bouncing on it? I'd also be curious, if you're comfortable to leave'em in a room unattended, they must not be too young?

Advertisement