Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda vs Greyhound waste collection

Options
  • 07-02-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I've been with Panda for years but considering moving to Greyhound before I'm billed my next Panda yearly service charge. Anyone have any experience good or bad with Greyhound?

Looking at our usage for last year we use less than 20kg black waste monthly so their flat 16.5 monthly charge looks good, giving us 32kg black waste and free brown & green bins. If our usage stayed roughly the same should save roughly 50 or 60 quid versus sticking with Panda and be able to put out the brown bins a lot more often for no added cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

I'm with Greyhound... One item I would recommend is that you check their collection days, as it may be different from your panda service day..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

Moved to greyhound before Christmas. They are definitely better value than panda. But we've had terrible problems with our bins not being collected. Have had to ring them 6 out of the 7 weeks we are with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Moving2017 wrote: »
    I'm with Greyhound... One item I would recommend is that you check their collection days, as it may be different from your panda service day..

Good idea, just checked and its the same day.
    eildar wrote: »
    Moved to greyhound before Christmas. They are definitely better value than panda. But we've had terrible problems with our bins not being collected. Have had to ring them 6 out of the 7 weeks we are with them.

I've heard something similar from one of my work colleagues, that's why I'm somewhat hesitant to move and looking to hear if this is a common problem or not. What happened when you rang them, did they come round again that week to collect?

Yes, our normal collection day is Saturday. Then when we ring on the Monday they collect it during the week.

I've never had this issue. However it did take two weeks to get set up.

I looked at the costs, and found that Greyhound were cheaper than Panda... Mainly as Panda had a "cleaning bin" fee if you were to ever leave them which made joining them for a year very unattractive. When this was factored in, and my annual usage Greyhound was a good bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

I've never had this issue. However it did take two weeks to get set up.

I looked at the costs, and found that Greyhound were cheaper than Panda... Mainly as Panda had a "cleaning bin" fee if you were to ever leave them which made joining them for a year very unattractive. When this was factored in, and my annual usage Greyhound was a good bit cheaper.

So Panda charge a cleaning fee when you leave? Do many of your neighbours use Greyhound, I'm wondering if the bins not being collected is just an issue in estates where there are few Greyhound customers.

KingCong wrote: »
    So Panda charge a cleaning fee when you leave? Do many of your neighbours use Greyhound, I'm wondering if the bins not being collected is just an issue in estates where there are few Greyhound customers.

They did when I was researching options. I remember it as I had to call them as the residential website was down at the time.

Most of the people near me are Panda. It might depend on the individual truck, as my mother is also Greyhound, and has had a few collection issues over the years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've been with Panda for years but considering moving to Greyhound before I'm billed my next Panda yearly service charge. Anyone have any experience good or bad with Greyhound?

Looking at our usage for last year we use less than 20kg black waste monthly so their flat 16.5 monthly charge looks good, giving us 32kg black waste and free brown & green bins. If our usage stayed roughly the same should save roughly 50 or 60 quid versus sticking with Panda and be able to put out the brown bins a lot more often for no added cost.

We're with Greyhound, and we as far as I know we pay for all our bins. The free green bin was discontinued last year and we have to pay for it now. Are they offering you freebies?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    We're with Greyhound, and we as far as I know we pay for all our bins. The free green bin was discontinued last year and we have to pay for it now. Are they offering you freebies?

See their prices plans here: https://greyhound.ie/select-plan/

See their prices plans here: https://greyhound.ie/select-plan/

Interesting. We may check out those plans. Its a good while ago since we started paying by weight. I looked at our last green and brown bin collections and we are being charged €1.42 for the green bin lift, and €3.60 for the brown bin lift. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Have spotted this too as our annual service charge came in and Greyhound would appear better value with the light user option. Anyone with experience of Greyhound in the DLR region?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have spotted this too as our annual service charge came in and Greyhound would appear better value with the light user option. Anyone with experience of Greyhound in the DLR region?

Didn't Greyhound hand over to Greenstar in DLR? I've an idea we used to be Greyhound but were transferred to Greenstar by them, not by us.

Didn't Greyhound hand over to Greenstar in DLR? I've an idea we used to be Greyhound but were transferred to Greenstar by them, not by us.

We are in DLR and use greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We are in DLR and use greyhound.

Sorry, it was the other way round, we got shifted from Greenstar to Greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was with Greyhound and they were the worst company I've ever paid money to. Their customer service team are nice to talk to, but they seem completely disconnected from the rest of the company, meaning I couldn't actually get any results. I was with them for a year and I think they collected my rubbish 5 times despite me chasing and chasing. I lived alone and ate mostly at work (no home waste) so it didn't bother me too much, except for the fact I was paying. When my bin got full it would take 6 -8 weeks for them to collect it, after many calls and angry emails! I would avoid!

I've been checking into what Greyhound has been costing us. I didn't look into the weights we had put out but what we actually paid. The only way we can save is not to put the bins out too often. We can't save on weight as what we have, we have. In 2018 it cost us for all three bins around €170. Mainly only two people here but sometimes four. I think we could get it down a little bit more but not much. Brown bin has to go out regularly in the hot summer weeks. How does this compare with others? Anyone willing to share costs?

I've been checking into what Greyhound has been costing us. I didn't look into the weights we had put out but what we actually paid. The only way we can save is not to put the bins out too often. We can't save on weight as what we have, we have. In 2018 it cost us for all three bins around €170. Mainly only two people here but sometimes four. I think we could get it down a little bit more but not much. Brown bin has to go out regularly in the hot summer weeks. How does this compare with others? Anyone willing to share costs?

Mine was €25per month last year so €300 for two of us

It was cheaper per month than panda were offering at the time.

Mine was €25per month last year so €300 for two of us

It was cheaper per month than panda were offering at the time.

Are you with Greyhound?

Are you with Greyhound?

Yes! I’m DLR... which may have some bearing on the price!

I'm SDCC. So a different area is charged a higher rate! That's crazy money!

• Advertisement

I'm SDCC. So a different area is charged a higher rate! That's crazy money!

Panda was more expensive at the time, and charged a cleaning levy if I moved at the end of the contract, so even at €25/month Greyhound were cheaper than my alternative...

But I agree that it’s mad money but there wasn’t an alternative...

We pay by weight, it might be why ours is cheaper. Occasionally a bin might be heavier but not excessively so. If I could buy products with less packaging I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

PANDA 2023 Pricing

Your Service plan for the coming year effective 1st May 2023 is outlined below:

Quarterly Service Charge                  €52.50

Quarterly General Waste Allowance  105Kg

General Waste Excess per Kg           €0.30

Recycling Allowance                          Unlimited

Compost Allowance                           Unlimited

This is a change from your current price plan which we believe will make for a far easier way to manage and use our service. However, if this plan does not suit your needs, we do have others available.

Shortly after the 1st May, we will apply a credit/payment of 6.16 to your account in unused service charge previously paid. This will be discounted from your next invoice.If you would like to discuss options, please email customercare@panda.ie and one of our agents will be happy to assist you.

Advertisement